or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple announces OS X Mavericks with Finder tabs, tags, and true multiple display support

Apple announces OS X Mavericks with Finder tabs, tags, and true multiple display support - Page 2

post #41 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

One feature I've always wanted to see in Mac OS X is to automatically mount my MacBook Pro drive in the Finder when I plug it in.

Just to exchange files, like when it sees my camera or USB thumb drive.

Having to reboot into TDM is annoying. I'm sure there's a valid reason they don't allow this, but it would make life easier.

AirDrop is quite fast for transferring files but you can also plug in a gigabit ethernet cable and just mount the drive that way without rebooting.
post #42 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

How is it offensive? Many of the cats that were used for names of prior Mac OS 10 operating systems cannot even be found in the United States, let alone in California. 

I'm offended! /s

People these days love to be offended. It's the disease of the age. People no longer have a critical reasoning faculty, they have a delicate sensibility which is alert for signs of anything offensive. And when anything does offend them they give off the sound of a car alarm, not rational comment.

The name 'Mavericks' reminds me of Roger Moore, James Garner on the old television show — nothing more. I don't like it and I don't hate it. I find it an odd choice, but so what? 

I should note Feynman that my comment is in support of you, not in criticism. Just in case you take offence…

Edited by Eluard - 6/10/13 at 8:11pm
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
post #43 of 67
menu bars on every monitor! wow - that's innovation! Windows had this since, what, 1995?

better late than never. it does seem like the software atrophy that gave us OS X Vista (er) Lion is receding and a new era is coming.

Of course, they didn't mention a killswitch for the NSA monitoring...
post #44 of 67
Quote:
The name 'Mavericks' reminds me of Roger Moore, James Garner on the old television show — nothing more. I don't like it and I don't hate it. I find it an odd choice, but so what? 

when they get to the Australian OS X, maybe it will be called "Bondi Beach"...

post #45 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

Well, we've already had Bondi Blue iMac's, back in the day. That was enough for we jingoists.

post #46 of 67
Quote:

menu bars on every monitor! wow - that's innovation! Windows had this since, what, 1995?

better late than never. it does seem like the software atrophy that gave us OS X Vista (er) Lion is receding and a new era is coming.

I like how you put down a Mac OS by calling it a Microsoft OS.

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

post #47 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Man, they screwed up a lot with names this time. Craig called it Mountain Lion on stage, Phil called Thunderbolt 2 "FireWire 2"… twice in a row…

I must give them major props... Yeah, they made a few slips, but they both covered a great deal of content with a few minor mistakes. If I were up there in front of 6,000 people talking, I might simply vomit all over myself. Unless you are perfect on stage in-front of 6,000 people + live video streaming to who knows how many, forgive the minor mistakes.

post #48 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

... Still can't believe multiple screens took this long to fix (I don't use it, but I can only imagine how frustrating that must have been for others).

The thing about that I find the most interesting is that for many years Apple strenuously argued that it wasn't broken and that they had purposely designed it with the top bar and dock only on the main screen.  I find that (previous) argument rather more compelling than the recent reversal as I'm sure do many others.  

It's the same with a lot of things they announced in both iOS and OS X today also.  Reversals of previously held "philosophical" positions, in favour of "what the rabble want."  

I'm not so sure I like this new Apple. 

I think you may misinterpret their past conviction on the matter. In general, they will only do things when they come up with a design that they believe is better and overcomes the challenge sufficiently. Having the menu and dock on the main screen is very limiting. This would be especially true running 3 4K displays on the MacPro. That is allot of pixels to cover to get back to your dock. It also means you would only be able to use one screen for work where you need access to menus.

Summoning the dock to a different display looks to solve a couple problems. It allows you to launch apps on whatever screen you are on without going back to the main screen. It isn't possible to do that today as you must launch the app and moving it or take it full screen. It also keeps to the original principal and doesn't simply duplicate the doc to the other screens as it was only on one screen at a time during the demo. 

To me, the easy decision was duplicating the menu bar since it has utility to every screen. I suspect this was not done before simply due to the overhaul it likely required to the windowing system for support. Either way, these look like solid updates and I cannot wait to use them. 

post #49 of 67

I think "Mavericks" was named in tribute to Steve Jobs. You can't name it 10.9 "Crazy Ones", and pictures of the surf looks pretty darn cool too

post #50 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by TogetherWeStand View Post

Just call it OS X 10.9 then?

Said It will be for

iPhone 4 (so 4, 4S, 5 onwards)

5th gen iPod touch, (not previous 3.5" gen's)

iPad 2 onwards (I think)

Ipad mini onwards

I saw that I was hoping for some insight on 10.9.  I'm starting to think that if your system will run 10.8 it'll run 10.9.  Not that I have too many complaints now but I'm hoping there are improvements to system performance the way Snow Leopard improve Leopard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

How is it offensive? Many of the cats that were used for names of prior Mac OS 10 operating systems cannot even be found in the United States, let alone in California. 

I'm offended! /s

I thought the same thing last night long after my original response.  There are no native Lions (thankfully) in North America, let alone California.

Quote:

Hey you took my line!   :-)
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
post #51 of 67
Quote:

Such a tacky, tacky name.  

And Craig said that this would last them the next ten years too, so we can reasonably expect that each new version of OS X will be named after some California hipster hangout that the rest of the world isn't even aware of.  I find this whole idea kind of offensive as I'm sure everyone outside of the USA will in time.  

Something much more generic, that has resonance to more than just the folks at Apple and the hipsters of California would be more appropriate.  

Considering Mac's are much more popular in the US than the rest of the world, I don't think it's a big deal. Further, it's just the OS nickname.

And I don't associate Mavericks with hipsters. Not everything in California revolves around hipsters.
post #52 of 67

By any measure, Mavericks is a lame name. In fact, the best other recent example of a great brand coming up with ridiculous name was Ferrari calling its latest supercar the LaFerrari. Ferrari or Apple, both products will sell well regardless of name. The real point is that it doesn't matter. What WWDC 2013 tells me is that iOS and OSX are on a course for total convergence. It's what they call the combined operating system that matters. 

What's wrong with naming successive OS versions after US States, or US presidents, or after great innovators who changed the world through their ideas? Or after leading world cities? If it has to be animals, then why not birds of prey or just birds?

I like the new look and feel and am sure that it will become even better as Jony Ive settles into this new role. The interface already looks so much more mature, cleaner and user friendly than before. I am so glad that Joshua Topolosky at the Verge dissed it; if he'd liked it, then Apple would have been doing something wrong (Shock of the new, dude! Get over it!)

post #53 of 67

Thanks!!!!   I didn't know I was a hipster !!!!!  You made my day.

post #54 of 67
I think the name is fine. My company as already used it a lot in discussion/planning over the last 24 hours and it flows nicely. No one has even mentioned the name Mavericks as anything but sensible. Of course, half my company is based in CA... 1wink.gif

I think the enhancements both on the surface and under the hood are really, really great. Strangely I seemed to get back about 10 GB of space on my SSD by installing it.

Definitely a lot of bugs, but nothing unusual for a beta 1. Safari has some issues with Flash.
post #55 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

AirDrop is quite fast for transferring files but you can also plug in a gigabit ethernet cable and just mount the drive that way without rebooting.

Good point. AirDrop is one of those features I never got into because my MacBook Pro was just outside the supported window. I'll try it.

I avoid Ethernet because I'm on a shared cable connection and prefer to keep File Sharing disabled for security reasons.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #56 of 67
Originally Posted by pmz View Post
Safari has some issues with Flash.

Flash has some issues with Flash. 1hmm.gif

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #57 of 67

Everybody has issues with Flash.

post #58 of 67

Interesting how the Shared Links in Safari shows links from your friends/acquaintances fromTwitter and LinkedIn, but not Facebook.  I wonder if LinkedIn integration is coming to anything else, and if Facebook is being shut out of anything else.

censored

censored

post #59 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Flash has some issues with Flash. 1hmm.gif

That made me actually laugh out loud. :)

post #60 of 67
Ok. Mavericks is an great big gnarly wave in Northern California. It's known the world over by surfers, not just Californians. Its a dangerous incredible wave thats killed its share of surfers, something which likely keeps it hipster and troll free. I'm sure nobody needs to explain the wave wallpaper. This isn't a top gun analogy, it's not talking about multiple crazy people.
Sure, its a California landmark, but whats wrong with pride in ones home ? How is this different than made in the USA or all of the civic pride people chant about their sports teams or car brands ? Sure complain about features you don't like, something with substance, instead of empty whining because they didn't give the OS your pet name.
post #61 of 67
Um, hello anyone? We've got TABS!
Always remember..wherever you go, there you are.
Always remember..wherever you go, there you are.
post #62 of 67
Originally Posted by MuncyWeb View Post
Um, hello anyone? We've got TABS!

I knew it wouldn't be anywhere near as big a deal to people as the whiners made out, simply because it took Apple twelve years to get it into OS X in the first place.

post #63 of 67

"Next big thing" items are great really for marketing, but I'm glad Apple's focusing on some core functionality with Mavericks because A LOT is screwed up. Glad to see OpenGL4 finally coming and better memory and cpu management all around.

Lots of other little and big things to set straight. Hope they'll make Quicktime X as functional as QT7 Pro is some day. iCloud's still a mess. I can't export an archive of all my Notes.

post #64 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

The X in OSX has now become standard. It flows so nicely that they will never call it OSXI.
I'm not crazy about the "Mavericks" name.

"What OS do you have?"
"I'm running Mavericks"

Maybe it will sound better over time....Like iPad.
The tags feature could really change workflows and I'm excited about that.

They could have named it "Oxnard".

When they run out of California names, the can use things like:

Pahrump Nevada

Huachuca Arizona. -- pronounced. waa-CHOO-Ka -- or hoochie-kootchie
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #65 of 67
Quote:

Such a tacky, tacky name.  

And Craig said that this would last them the next ten years too, so we can reasonably expect that each new version of OS X will be named after some California hipster hangout that the rest of the world isn't even aware of.  I find this whole idea kind of offensive as I'm sure everyone outside of the USA will in time.  

Something much more generic, that has resonance to more than just the folks at Apple and the hipsters of California would be more appropriate.  

Get over yourself Gazoobee!  If you are so offended that a California-based tech company has made an American or Californian reference in their product name then you should put your money where your mouth is and buy your technology from a company that is based in another country.  

post #66 of 67
The Safari Power Saver Feature is AMAZING.
Adobe Systems - "Preventing the Case-Sensitive revolution everyday..."
Adobe Systems - "Preventing the Case-Sensitive revolution everyday..."
post #67 of 67
Quote:

Yeah, because Windows does it so much better by having the menubar attached to every window that is generated /s. This is such a fake argument, since Windpw's widowing schema is completely different than that of the Mac. Also, to suggest that 10.7 Lion was remotely similar to Vista is just being a troll. Troll had a lot of things going wrong for it. It caused a lot of issues which actually caused people to not upgrade at all. Lion, while it was not perfect, didn't have nearly the issues in compatability or use that Vista did.
Quote:

Since when is Apple in charge of the U.S. Government? If that is the case, I need to write a letter to President Cook and have him actually doing some smarter things. /s It is remarks like this that make your opinion go from "just your opinion" to "uneducated troll".

-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Fanatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027

-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Fanatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
  • Apple announces OS X Mavericks with Finder tabs, tags, and true multiple display support
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple announces OS X Mavericks with Finder tabs, tags, and true multiple display support