or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple reveals overhauled iOS 7 with vibrant, more colorful design
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple reveals overhauled iOS 7 with vibrant, more colorful design

post #1 of 410
Thread Starter 
Touting it as the biggest change to iOS since the launch of the first iPhone, Apple on Monday took the wraps off a drastically redesigned iOS 7 that marks a new direction for the company's mobile operating system.

iOS 7


Virtually everything about the look and feel of iOS has changed with version 7, including a refined typography, all new icons, and a dynamic color scheme. The new operating system was spearheaded by Apple's lead designer Jony Ive, and engineering head Craig Federighi.

"iOS 7: The biggest change to iOS since the iPhone," Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook declared.

iOS 7

iOS 7 features a completely new look from the ground up, but also packs a number of new features like AirDrop, Control Center and automatic photo organization.
As you move an iPhone in your hand, a new parallax feature will actually move the wallpaper in the background, allowing users to "see behind" the icons on their home screen.

All of the built-in applications have been completely rebuilt with a new look, including Messages, Calendar, and even the phone application.

"Game Center: We just completely ran out of green felt," Federighi joked. "And wood as well. This has got to be good for the environment."

iOS 7


In a demonstration of the new weather application, Federighi showed how dynamic weather effects are shown in the background, giving a visual representation of the current conditions.

A new gesture allows for easier one-handed use, letting users swipe from the left side of the screen to go back. Folders have also been expanded to allow multiple pages and hold more applications.

"iOS 7 is the most significant iOS update since the original iPhone," said Federighi, Apple's senior vice president of Software Engineering. "To create it, we brought together a team with a broad range of expertise from design to engineering. With what we?ve been able to achieve together, we see iOS 7 as an exciting new beginning."

94393409349034-2.jpg


An updated notification center is slightly transparent, removing its previous textured appearance. Notification Center is also available from the lock screen as well, without the need to unlock the device.iOS 7 will arrive this fall for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.

"It's a comprehensive, end-to-end redesign of the complete user experience," Federighi said.

In addition to an all-new look, iOS 7 is also a major feature release, he said. Among those features is Control Center, which allows quick access to settings like Airplane Mode, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, brightness, and even a built-in flashlight. Control Center is available from anywhere, including the lock screen.

Multitasking has also been enhanced "for all apps with great battery life," Federighi said. iOS 7 notices users' pattern of use, giving applications background cycles based on how often users access them.

9034903490-1.jpg


Swiping between open applications is now a full-screen affair, offering users a larger preview of the application as it is currently open.

An updated Safari for iOS 7 has a new full-screen mode that allows users to focus on content. A smart search field also has one-tap access to favorite websites, along with a new tabbed interface. And users are no longer limited to just 8 tabs.

94393409349034-3.jpg


New AirDrop functionality will allow users to quickly share content with friends nearby with peer-to-peer Wi-Fi. AirDrop will be supported on the iPhone 5, fourth-generation iPad, iPad mini, and fifth-generation iPod touch.

"No need to wander around the room bumping your phone with others," Federighi joked.

An updated Camera application comes with built-in filters, while enhancements to the Photos application allow individual pictures to be organized into "moments." Photos are automatically organized based on data such as where and when they were captured.

Users can even zoom out to a year-by-year view. Enhanced by the Retina display, users can "scrub" through their yearly photos to narrow down what they're looking for. And new Shared Photo Streams also allow group sharing of photos and video via iCloud.

94393409349034-4.jpg


Additional features detailed by Apple are:
  • a new Find My iPhone Activation Lock feature that requires your Apple ID and password before you can turn off Find My iPhone, erase data or re-activate a device after it?s been remotely erased;
  • Night Mode in Maps that responds to ambient light when you use it in the dark;

  • FaceTime audio for high quality calls over a data network;
  • Notification sync, so when you dismiss a notification on one device it is dismissed on all of your devices;
  • Phone, FaceTime and Messages blocking to prevent specific people from being able to contact you;
  • Tencent Weibo support for users in China, a Chinese-English bilingual dictionary, and improved Chinese input including handwriting recognition for multiple Chinese characters;
  • the ability for businesses to more efficiently deploy and manage iPhones and iPads; and
  • enhanced in-car integration, bringing an Apple designed experience into the car for the first time.


"There is a profound and enduring beauty in simplicity, in clarity, in efficiency. True simplicity is derived from so much more than just the absence of clutter and ornamentation ? it?s about bringing order to complexity," said Ive, Apple?s senior vice president of Design. "iOS 7 is a clear representation of these goals. It has a whole new structure that is coherent and applied across the entire system."
post #2 of 410
I love you!! Apple 1smile.gif
post #3 of 410
Yeah baby!
post #4 of 410
Nice!
post #5 of 410

90% like the cleaner look, 10% gimmick showing off the degrees of freedom and animations. Shoot the fool who signed off on Safari's icon.

 

Craig's constant jabs at Scott reveals how their relationship deteriorated over the years, as each person's position of rank moved up. These guys used to get a long at NeXT and Apple when they weren't executives.

 

Everything is a frosty view isn't wowing me. Being able to slide change the opacity in a setting somewhere with a different base color would be a nice personal touch.

post #6 of 410

Wow. Maybe apple should ask Microsoft for some design tips.

A washed out, over-busy version of their old over-saturated candy style. This is going to tank big time. Ive should have kept to hardware.

 

This is quite shocking as I'm sure Apple has some top graphic designers working for them but this... ohmygod.

post #7 of 410
Yes I love it Apple looking beautiful iOS 7 wow that wonderful are awesome is Rock yay!!!
post #8 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbage View Post

Wow. Maybe apple should ask Microsoft for some design tips.

A washed out, over-busy version of their old over-saturated candy style. This is going to tank big time. Ive should have kept to hardware.

 

This is quite shocking as I'm sure Apple has some top graphic designers working for them but this... ohmygod.

 

Ok guys, stop looking... we found the one person who doesn't like it! 

post #9 of 410

What I want to know is, what is that DEVICE they are showing all the screen shots on???

 

http://live.appleinsider.com/Event/Live_from_Apples_WWDC_2013/78887965

post #10 of 410
Not a fan of the "flat look". Apple screwed up massively with their "Maps" and still haven't completely recovered (reason why I still use Google Maps). Now this? Goodbye visual aspect of apps. Now it looks plain, basic, and blah!
post #11 of 410

A lot of the UI is reminiscent of Android 4.X, Webos, and Samsung Touchwiz. The multitasking without a doubt borrows on the cards interface. Overall it looks nice although to busy in some places

post #12 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

 

Craig's constant jabs at Scott reveals how their relationship deteriorated over the years, as each person's position of rank moved up. These guys used to get a long at NeXT and Apple when they weren't executives.

 

 

Getting rid of Forstall and promoting Craig is the best thing they could have done.

post #13 of 410

It's not flat design, it's clean design.

 

There's still textures, opacity, etc.

post #14 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

What I want to know is, what is that DEVICE they are showing all the screen shots on???

 

http://live.appleinsider.com/Event/Live_from_Apples_WWDC_2013/78887965

The iPhone 5.  It's clear as day when the presenter shows the demos.  

post #15 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

 

Ok guys, stop looking... we found the one person who doesn't like it! 

 

Make two.

 

But i really don't care.

The new features shadows the ugliness

post #16 of 410
Cannt wait to run it...
post #17 of 410

Absolutely gorgeous.  A lot like Windows 8 in some aspects and like Android in others.  But literally- It now does everything either of those do- plus what iOS already did- and easily the most attractive of any (iOS 6, Android, Windows).

This is a huge win for Apple.  Huge.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #18 of 410
This looks incredible. Didn't just make it flat, but completely reconceived the physical metaphor in terms of planes, meaningful use of depth and transparency. This will be huge for the whole iOS ecosystem over the coming 2-3 years.
post #19 of 410

Ok first, I owe the world an apology.  I said Craig was a horrible presenter.  He's actually very good, humorous and funny.

 

Having said that, I hope the new look of iOS grows on me.  I'm not crazy about it so far.  There is a lot to like w/ multitasking, etc, but the icon colors and such are kinda gimmicky to me.

 

Probably not a popular opinion here, but it's mine and I'm entitled to it.  I am not hating on what Jonny has done, he's brilliant, but those icons...just not for me.

post #20 of 410
Looks very different from ios 6
post #21 of 410
I'm all in. Since my iPhone 5 still has two good years in it, the software updates are all I care about. I think iOS is great feature wise, and I welcome a refreshed GUI.

Now on to the Mac Pro topic...
post #22 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Ok first, I owe the world an apology.  I said Craig was a horrible presenter.  He's actually very good, humorous and funny.

 

Having said that, I hope the new look of iOS grows on me.  I'm not crazy about it so far.  There is a lot to like w/ multitasking, etc, but the icon colors and such are kinda gimmicky to me.

 

Probably not a popular opinion here, but it's mine and I'm entitled to it.  I am not hating on what Jonny has done, he's brilliant, but those icons...just not for me.

 

I'm not crazy about the color scheme, but the general look it top notch. 

post #23 of 410

I LOVE the new look and (you're gonna hate me for this) they copied Android left and right on features but made it all seem to work well and look Apple-esque.  There's a good chance I'm switching :)

post #24 of 410

Lots of design features lifted straight from competitors, where's the outrage? Control Center has been in Android for years. The App Switcher is basically lifted from WebOS/Ice Cream Sandwich. Omnibox search in Safari finally arrived, but Chrome had it way before. Speaking of Chrome, the tab switcher in mobile Safari looks exactly like the design in Chrome for iOS/Android except it is slightly angled. Sharing state across browsers? Invented by Chrome.

 

Imagine the outrage if someone had a patent on these features and sued Apple, but yet if someone even uses an icon that looks similar to an Apple design, cries go out of "THEFT!"

 

Props to Apple for the new Mac Pro, and the new iCloud apps, but the new iOS7 design is clearly "inspired" if not outright copied, from other mobile OSes, Apple needs to drop the obnoxious claims of ripoffs if they're going to engage in hypocrisy and patent trolling.

post #25 of 410

Yes, yes, the presenter is holding an iPhone 5. Look at the many large screens. It isn't the same look is it? I'd love one of whatever is actually on the big screen… narrow borders all around, etc.

 

Was (hoping?) wondering if perhaps they were sneaking something wonderful into the background and we'd get one of Jobs' classic "one more thing" moments… ;)

post #26 of 410

Are you people joking?

I'm reading the posts and I can't believe what people are saying.  You really think this looks great?  You really believe this is a huge improvement?  I'm currently looking at my iPhone 4 and the pictures posted in the story.. I'm just not seeing it.  This looks just as plain and boring as my current phone.  How on earth is this an improvement?  Flat? Square? Plain?  what on earth is so good about this?  I'm seriously at a loss... This must be a big joke!

post #27 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

 

Getting rid of Forstall and promoting Craig is the best thing they could have done.

 

Craig's a great guy. Great to work around and always a top-tier talent, plus a fellow fan of Heavy Metal. Always a fun guy to play foosball with and shoot the crap with around the kitchen at NeXT and in the cafe at Apple.

 

Scott was far more moody and less extroverted/gregarious.

 

Craig and Scott must have really butted heads for the jabs. That's not something you'd expect from Craig's persona. My own, yes. Not Craig. Scott must have really gotten under his skin over the years.

post #28 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Craig's constant jabs at Scott reveals how their relationship deteriorated over the years, as each person's position of rank moved up. These guys used to get a long at NeXT and Apple when they weren't executives.

Agreed. He did all but stick his tongue out. But I must say I far prefer the Ives inspired minimalist design that the skeumorphic mess that Forstall was pushing.

As for the new UI: too light for my taste. I like a dark background. The demo was all done with light to white backgrounds. Maybe they demo better or look better on an actual device, but it looked too bright and glaring to me.

 

- Jasen.

post #29 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc999 View Post

Lots of design features lifted straight from competitors, where's the outrage? Control Center has been in Android for years. The App Switcher is basically lifted from WebOS/Ice Cream Sandwich. Omnibox search in Safari finally arrived, but Chrome had it way before. Speaking of Chrome, the tab switcher in mobile Safari looks exactly like the design in Chrome for iOS/Android except it is slightly angled. Sharing state across browsers? Invented by Chrome.

 

Imagine the outrage if someone had a patent on these features and sued Apple, but yet if someone even uses an icon that looks similar to an Apple design, cries go out of "THEFT!"

 

Props to Apple for the new Mac Pro, and the new iCloud apps, but the new iOS7 design is clearly "inspired" if not outright copied, from other mobile OSes, Apple needs to drop the obnoxious claims of ripoffs if they're going to engage in hypocrisy and patent trolling.

 

One of the main designers at Apple designed WebOS.

post #30 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

 

I'm not crazy about the color scheme, but the general look it top notch. 

 

Yes, that's exactly what I mean.  Features-wise, I'm quite impressed.  Just the coloring...ugh, that coloring. 

post #31 of 410

It's just so random, every screen is different, no consistency at all. This is bad design pure and simple. And those colors! It's like Vista glass and Android had a weird baby with Windows Phone. It's just shockingly bad.

post #32 of 410

I noticed they did a biteSMS type notification on Mavericks, but I wonder if it's on iOS.  I guess we'll see when I install it later today.  

post #33 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngliz View Post

I'm reading the posts and I can't believe what people are saying. You really think this looks great? You really believe this is a huge improvement? I'm currently looking at my iPhone 4 and the pictures posted in the story.. I'm just not seeing it. This looks just as plain and boring as my current phone. How on earth is this an improvement? Flat? Square? Plain? what on earth is so good about this? I'm seriously at a loss... This must be a big joke!

 

So how would you have designed it?

post #34 of 410
So completely skipping ios7 on ipad... Does this mean there will be a tweeked version for ipads and they didn't want to show anything till the new ones come out?
post #35 of 410
Why pastel colors? As an adult, I was hoping for something more sophisticated and less like a ~$500 coloring book. I'll wait and see how this looks in person.

In the meantime...Kids will love it!
post #36 of 410

What's with all the new accounts? Nevermind, I forgot. Business as usual.

 

Waiting for some idiot to talk about multitasking as if iOS just added it - it's been there all along, all Apple had to do was "flip a switch" to activate it.

post #37 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbage View Post

It's just so random, every screen is different, no consistency at all. This is bad design pure and simple. And those colors! It's like Vista glass and Android had a weird baby with Windows Phone. It's just shockingly bad.

I disagree. I think much effort has been invested in unifying the look across the core apps, which is more important than what the new look is.

post #38 of 410
Have to say that the home screen looks cheap, tacky and very childish. Way too much fluorescent and pastel colour going on. Some of the developments are good but I'd prefer something more restrained and sophisticated. Maybe it would look better with a dark background.

If Apple wants an examples of what people want in their UI they should just check out screenshots on Deviantart.

The new weather app looked the best.
Edited by s.metcalf - 6/10/13 at 12:13pm
post #39 of 410

Well, I want it NOW, so I'd say that's a good sign.

 

:)

post #40 of 410
Faaaaaaaaaaaark!

Very. Very. Impressive.

It's almost like Apple ran through the list of all our gripes until there was nothing left for us to complain about. That's going to make some people on this site very, very unhappy, not to mention leaving them with a new void to fill in life.

THIS is what a standing ovation while typing looks like!
I always appreciate an Android fan who puts his energy into advertising Apple products.
Reply
I always appreciate an Android fan who puts his energy into advertising Apple products.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple reveals overhauled iOS 7 with vibrant, more colorful design