or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple reveals overhauled iOS 7 with vibrant, more colorful design

Apple reveals overhauled iOS 7 with vibrant, more colorful design - Page 5

post #161 of 410

Let me just say something for all those trolls out there. And I know there are many. Instead of wasting all this time complaining about  the new OS. Why don't you take some time out of your day and go design your own OS. Let me know how that works out. 1rolleyes.gif

post #162 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockAEB View Post

Keep using the troll excuse all you want, sweetie. Just don't be surprised when regular Apple users start voting with their feet.

I think the over-use of the patronizing term 'sweetie' pretty much tips your hand.  It is almost by definition trolling to patronize in such a manner.

post #163 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It's also full of gimmicky things that you wouldn't expect Apple to do like the 3D background effect and the silly multi-tasking previews.  I would have bet money that they wouldn't "go there" as the feature adds no real utility while using up screen real estate.  

I know I will get pilloried for saying it, but IMO Apple really is (at least partially), losing it's touch it seems.  

I mean the only proof of that you need is the term ... "OS X Mavericks."  

Your kidding right, Apple, never do anything Gimmicky? PAPER SHREDDER PASSPORT ERASER SAYS HELLO!!!

Unlike the aformentioned paper shredder, large multi-tasking previews allow you to actually see what you were doing in an App, vs just showing the icon which provides much better utility. 

The 3D-Effect on the homescreen, while not providing any obvious utility, most likely was included to draw the users eye, and to make using the phone more immersive.

post #164 of 410

Apple blew me away with iOS 7. Much much more than I expected as far as the look and function of the OS. Can't wait to see a feature upgrade list as we were fed mere morsels today.

This was a much needed overhaul, in my opinion. Very colorful and that parallax feature was interesting. Very colorful and yet, I'd have to say, Ive sure loves white. I'm hoping to see more contrast upon actual use. It has to be in there somewhere!

Craig Federighi was incredible. That guy loves his job and it oozed out into the audience and through my Apple TV. Cook is good, but please, more Craig.

HUGE thumbs up on most of what I saw. iOS is a huge step up. Super stoked to see Apple take such a bold move.

Niggles:

- Lots of white.

- The OS font appears thin. I'll have to wait and see it at arm's length before judging, but it might be harder to read for an aging population. No doubt it looks elegant and classy. But thin makes my eyes work harder.

- Related to above. Lack of contrast. I liked darker backgrounds against lighter foreground elements.

- Maverick. Hmmmm. I was hoping for space/science names. Every time Craig said Maverick, an image of a black labrador popped into my head.

post #165 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacerays View Post

Is that so? How much can you say about anything on design then, while representing the "mainstream public"?! This is the mainstream public speaking up. The average guy who buys most of the iPhones and iPads for their simple, easy to use, beautiful UI. Unlike the self-defined 'critics', 'fans', 'experts' and other crappers out here. Respect the various opinions out there. To agree or not is a different matter.

No one needs a paper degree or portfolio to prove a sense of design. Any human being can.

Neither you nor anyone here is the "mainstream public". Internet forums are not good samplings of the public. People posting on forums are almost always more "techie" than John Public, and most gravitate to wherever their biases take them. 

You also missed my point. My point was that we're hearing left and right from armchair design critics that the design is "fugly" and "Apple is doomed", etc. These aren't opinions that are rationally informed or the deserve a shred of respect. And it takes a lot of nerve to unabashedly bash the design of a man who's known for being one of the greatest modern designers, without seeing it in person or actually using it. 

post #166 of 410
Just what my 4 year old wanted.
post #167 of 410
Quote:

*facepalm*

Um, sweetie, Samsung is a Korean company.

Your post makes no sense, and you're replying to a reply that was directed not at you, but at another poster.

I'm guessing your "*facepalm*" was directed at yourself.

post #168 of 410
Think of the current design what you want, but at least you instantly could see the difference between a header, content and footer.
The new design is white, white and white. It's hideous and reads like shit.
This is not clean and simple. It's full of useless animations and a step back the current design.
I never has seen something ugly from Apple like this before. It's change for the sake of change.
post #169 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbage View Post

Wow. Maybe apple should ask Microsoft for some design tips.
A washed out, over-busy version of their old over-saturated candy style. This is going to tank big time. Ive should have kept to hardware.

This is quite shocking as I'm sure Apple has some top graphic designers working for them but this... ohmygod.

-1 for posting this,
-1 for posting it again,
+1 for your appropriate username,
so that adds up to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmusikantow View Post

Where is a preview app so that I can sync pdf's?

iBooks
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #170 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Think of the current design what you want, but at least you instantly could see the difference between a header, content and footer.
The new design is white, white and white. It's hideous and reads like shit.
This is not clean and simple. It's full of useless animations and a step back the current design.
I never has seen something ugly from Apple like this before. It's change for the sake of change.

Why do you need a clear difference between header, content, and footer?

On a small screen, all I want is CONTENT.

The OS should get out of the way.

post #171 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

Apple blew me away with iOS 7. Much much more than I expected as far as the look and function of the OS. Can't wait to see a feature upgrade list as we were fed mere morsels today.

This was a much needed overhaul, in my opinion. Very colorful and that parallax feature was interesting. Very colorful and yet, I'd have to say, Ive sure loves white. I'm hoping to see more contrast upon actual use. It has to be in there somewhere!

Craig Federighi was incredible. That guy loves his job and it oozed out into the audience and through my Apple TV. Cook is good, but please, more Craig.

HUGE thumbs up on most of what I saw. iOS is a huge step up. Super stoked to see Apple take such a bold move.

Niggles:

- Lots of white.

- The OS font appears thin. I'll have to wait and see it at arm's length before judging, but it might be harder to read for an aging population. No doubt it looks elegant and classy. But thin makes my eyes work harder.

- Related to above. Lack of contrast. I liked darker backgrounds against lighter foreground elements.

- Maverick. Hmmmm. I was hoping for space/science names. Every time Craig said Maverick, an image of a black labrador popped into my head.

The combination of lots of white and thin large fonts gives it too much of an Android look and feel to me, particularly the Google apps in Android and on the web.

post #172 of 410
Quote:

I'm here to stay, sweetie, or 3 or 4 more posts then until they kick me out. *kisses*

Fixed that.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #173 of 410
Quote:

Fully agree. I also think space names would have been more imaginative.

post #174 of 410
Quote:

Has it occurred to you a lot of the new posters here aren't actually trolls but regular, non-techie Apple users chiming in to say they don't like the direction the company is starting to take?

Updates aren't supposed to be just for the acolytes to ohh and ahh over, but they also need to be useful to the rank and file who use the product every day without wanting to think about the underlying nuance. As one of those regular users, this update likely will not be useful to me, but in fact detrimental to my normal use.

Considering the majority of posters have appeared suddenly and registered today? Yeah, that makes me think they're just regular 'ol Apple users.

And your complaints have been about the visual appearance, like the colors or "flatness", which has nothing to do with functionality. Especially considering they added a bunch of functionality without removing any, your last sentence makes little sense.

post #175 of 410
Quote:

Has it occurred to you a lot of the new posters here aren't actually trolls but regular, non-techie Apple users chiming in to say they don't like the direction the company is starting to take?

Updates aren't supposed to be just for the acolytes to ohh and ahh over, but they also need to be useful to the rank and file who use the product every day without wanting to think about the underlying nuance. As one of those regular users, this update likely will not be useful to me, but in fact detrimental to my normal use.

I've read several long-time posters who have complained about certain aspects.  Gazobee being one of them.  Do a quick review- check who made an account today- and count how many are positive and how many are negative.  Hint: none are positive.  Hence- 95-98% of the accounts made today are trolls.  And you absolutely fit in that percentage.

post #176 of 410
Quote:

Ohhhhh, I didn't realize posts on an open forum were private and I shouldn't respond. Got it.

But tell me, where does Samsung come from, if the original poster was wrong referencing Koreans?

You're lost and didn't read the original post, where TS made a reference to Koreans (i.e. Samsung), and the other poster called him a "racist", which begged the question of if that person knew where Samsung was located.

Obviously TS knows where Samsung is located.

post #177 of 410

I liked all the announcements, the back-end stuff, the consistent design, the control center... it was all gorgeous. The new icons will take some getting used to, 6 years with an OS will do that to you.

However one thing I wish they did was live updating icons. Yes Windows does it, and no I don't know how to incorporate it with the new design scheme but it would have been nice. Lots of things you can do with that.

post #178 of 410
iOS having game controller support is huge for a Next gen hardware Apple TV puck. This can make them compete with consoles, KOTOR on ipad shows the power iPad 4th gen. It could play a game twice as complex as that.

A A7X Apple TV will blow away Ouya, etc.. And be on par with Xbox 360 on power(A6X 77gflops vs Xbox 360 115gflops). Off course Xbox One and PS4 are in the 1.2-2teraflops but IMHO a Apple TV with Xbox 360 performance and controller can be the 3rd console in the market beating Wii U and the android iterations. Plus Xbox One & PS4 won't upgrade the hardware in 8-10 years mobile chips will catch up in this than that IMHO.
Edited by ShAdOwXPR - 6/10/13 at 2:02pm
post #179 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Is it just me, or the Clock app's icon becomes really-really-really capable of showing us the current local time by the 7th major release of the iOS?

Very nice catch.  That'd be pretty cool.

post #180 of 410

I really wonder how all this white impacts battery life?!

post #181 of 410
Quote:

You may think "good riddance," but the Apple bean counters will miss my money.

No they won't.  Good riddance.

Does this mean you'll leave now?

post #182 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

If Apple would just allow user settable themes, they could make everyone happy.   And no doubt themes would become one of the most popular and lucrative App Store sections.

A multitasking, theme changing widget on the home screen to change the font to comic sans and an App store full of the junk "Play" is full of, crap sold for 99c which fills the notification bar with ads for more 99c crap.

No thanks.

I'll stick to changeable dead wallpapers.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #183 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I've read several long-time posters who have complained about certain aspects.  Gazobee being one of them.  Do a quick review- check who made an account today- and count how many are positive and how many are negative.  Hint: none are positive.  Hence- 95-98% of the accounts made today are trolls.  And you absolutely fit in that percentage.

This.

This is the difference. It's ok to have a contrary opinion, it's not ok to create an account just to say how "horrible" everything is and fill your posts with hyperbole. The only purpose it to rile people up, thus the troll label is apt.

post #184 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

I really wonder how all this white impacts battery life?!

It's not OLED, so why would it?

post #185 of 410
Quote:

Yeah, you're right. Apple doesn't care about profits at all.

They don't.  They care about making quality products that improves people's lives.  Didn't you watch the Keynote?

post #186 of 410
Quote:

Based on what I've read, I doubt that.

You've read wrong then.

You honestly think that Tallest Skill does not know where Samsung is from? Honestly?

Can we make a wager where if you lose, you leave?

post #187 of 410
Quote:

Well then, why aren't you banning all the so-called trolls?

Am I a moderator? Do you know how forums work?

post #188 of 410

I've looked at the high-res screen shots of iOS7 on apple.com, and I like it. Somehow they managed to preserve the UI metaphors, so things will seem familiar, but recast them in a fresh, modern style. Nice.

The typefaces look almost too thin in the screenshots, but I'm thinking that they should look good on the high-res retina display on the actual device.

I was getting tired of the skeuomorphic style used heavily throughout the UI. This is simpler and cleaner, but without making a radical break from the past.

Can't wait to get it.

post #189 of 410
Quote:

Ohhhhhh, so Apple's not a business, it's a social program. Got it.

Yup.  Took you 22 posts, but everyone starts somewhere.

post #190 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Just the coloring...ugh, that coloring. 

Whatever you do, don't tell Google this.

They've had a bad enough day as it is!

Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.
Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.
post #191 of 410
Quote:

You, the head acolyte, whoever. My question stands.

Obvious trolls can get banned. Others are just annoying.

I see you did not reply to my wager request, care to admit your mistake?

post #192 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

You're allowed to not like it. But you've gone beyond that and have posted incorrect info, calling it a watered-down Windows Phone, when that's asinine as they look nothing alike.

I know you are having "fun" ripping this person to pieces for some reason, but this is just an asinine thing to say.  

Large parts of iOS 7 are very similar indeed to Windows Phone.  This is obvious.  

post #193 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmusikantow View Post

Where is a preview app so that I can sync pdf's?

Isn't that called iBooks?

post #194 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

lol. I dislike quite a bit of what they did today. I liked more than that, though.

Okay, so you don't have a flipping clue where Samsung comes from. That's now clear. 

Shut up and get off this website. Thanks for invalidating your "opinions".

Ref. the Korea comment, tell me how that comment is even remotely related to Samsung or Korea in the 1st place. That's still not clear, is it? Any guy can give an opinion and it doesnt take Samsung or Koreans to do so. If you ever thought others are flipping mutes.

You have no say if I should 'get off' this website. No thanks for that try anyways.

iMac 21.5" 2.7 GHz (2011), 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM; iPhone 5c 16GB White; iPod Touch 4G 8GB Black; iPod Touch 2G 8GB
iMac 21.5" 2.7 GHz (2011), 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM; iPhone 5c 16GB White; iPod Touch 4G 8GB Black; iPod Touch 2G 8GB
post #195 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiemookie View Post

Wow. What a hideous UI. I'm still in a bit a shock from what I just witnessed.  I cannot believe Apple would even reveal an interface like this to the public. 

I suggest a cup of tea and a good lie down, as my Nan used to say.

post #196 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

I guess the Samsung/Google astroturfing crew is out in force today.

More likely they're just haters, but I get your point.

Quote:

Well, it's nice to know we're not allowed to not like it.

You're allowed to not like it *here* as long as it's not filled with bile and pejoratives. But new users coming here and talking to us about "Crapple" "fanboys" and such don't need to be given a platform on an Apple fan site.
Edited by JeffDM - 6/10/13 at 1:55pm
post #197 of 410

Hmm... after looking at the design for a while it's starting to sink in. It's not especially striking or that big a change in the way you actually use your device, but it had to be made.

And on the positive side looking back at the original Windows Phone demo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MdDAeyy1H0A) - it does look bad now. Windows Phone 8 is a big refinement over that video in practice, loving that thing!

Into my space rocket, climb
Into my space rocket, climb
post #198 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I know you are having "fun" ripping this person to pieces for some reason, but this is just an asinine thing to say.  

Large parts of iOS 7 are very similar indeed to Windows Phone.  This is obvious.  

I'm not having fun, I'm waiting to go to lunch and am miserably hungry/grumpy.

Also, I don't know how you could hold iOS 7 next to Windows Phone and say they look a like, other than bright colors and a lack of gloss.

WP generally uses a dark, black interface, where iOS 7 seems to default to a white, airy interface.

iOS 7 also has rounded corners, organic shapes, transparency, textures, layers, drop shadows... all things not usually synonymous with "flat". 

They also don't operate the same in the least. 

The BIG difference in iOS 7 vs older versions is the lack of gloss, new artwork, and a consistent minimalist UI that gets out of the way of the content, vs the old cluttered, often skeuomorphic design.

post #199 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Holy balz, stop replying to obvious trolling, plz!

I only reply with my own trolling.  See?

Quote:

You don't seriously believe Apple is a social welfare institution, do you?

Yes.  I do.

OK- off to the gym.  Since you'll be banned by the time I get back, it was nice knowing you Woodstock.  Keep up the good fight little buddy!

post #200 of 410
Quote:

Oh please. Like I would honor any agreement with the likes of you.

You still don't admit your mistake after gloating about it. 

My wager was in jest, FYI.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple reveals overhauled iOS 7 with vibrant, more colorful design