or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple reveals overhauled iOS 7 with vibrant, more colorful design

Apple reveals overhauled iOS 7 with vibrant, more colorful design - Page 6

post #201 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post

Let me just say something for all those trolls out there. And I know there are many. Instead of wasting all this time complaining about  the new OS. Why don't you take some time out of your day and go design your own OS. Let me know how that works out. 1rolleyes.gif

I will let you know. Email or any contact? Or maybe you will be here in this forum after some years?

iMac 21.5" 2.7 GHz (2011), 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM; iPhone 5c 16GB White; iPod Touch 4G 8GB Black; iPod Touch 2G 8GB
iMac 21.5" 2.7 GHz (2011), 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM; iPhone 5c 16GB White; iPod Touch 4G 8GB Black; iPod Touch 2G 8GB
post #202 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockAEB View Post

Wow, you are a special flower. If Apple is a social welfare institution, it seems they're more concerned about bettering the lives of Chinese factory workers who receive a pittance while charging Americans hundreds of dollars to better their lives.

Or on the other hand, Apple is instead a business built upon making profit from popular devices while cutting their labor costs by contracting with Chinese companies . . .

I guess you missed the point about the new MacPro being assembled in the US, eh?

Nobody here contests that Apple is a business and is intended to make money and drive shareholder value.  The difference between Apple and most other companies is that Apple has a corporate culture and vision that is tied to, and revolves around, producing products that are genuinely good and different, and that positively impact people's lives.  That's where the concept of Apple as a 'social welfare institution' comes from.  Although I don't think the name fits entirely, I do understand the concepts behind it.

post #203 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Already in conversation with a pro user (cinematography) who wanted a bigger tower with more internal expansion. Claiming form over function. His need though, was for about 11 boards.

Why internal?

Thunderbolt 2 provides enough bandwidth for almost anything.

Think outside the box, err cylinder.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #204 of 411
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post
Is it just me, or the Clock app's icon becomes really-really-really capable of showing us the current local time by the 7th major release of the iOS?

No, that's the icon at all times. Why the frick do people want this?! How… JUST LOOK AT THE CLOCK AT THE TOP OF THE SCREEN.

Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post
I really wonder how all this white impacts battery life?!

Not in the slightest, since that's not how displays work.

Originally Posted by spacerays View Post

You have no say…

lol.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #205 of 411

Just some quick hits.

Didn't tune in for the first part of the presentation but I liked most of what I saw. Some things will take getting used to but most of what I saw looked great, especially the way the icons sit over the home screen. Will need to see what things look like in person on our devices but the overall feeling I get that this is a big net positive and it won't scare people away from the platform but will probably draw them in.

Everybody sees things differently and are entitled to their opinion but I just don't see the "flatness" the naysayers are talking about. I also don't see this looking like Windows 8 at all. What I would say to that is put down the bong, wait for its effects to wear off and look again ;-). Or maybe just take off the Google Glasses and try watching it.

Not a pro user but man that new Pro desktop looks nice. I don't know how it will appeal to the pro user but I would guess it will be popular. Maybe the lack of internal expansion will be a problem for some but it sounds like things can be hooked up with thunderbolt to run just as if there were internal expansion available. Just my non pro opinion.

Nice tweaking on the battery time on the macbook airs. Very nicely done. Nice increase in specs for the price.

Best line that I saw was Schiller's about innovation and his @ss. The crowd appeared to like it as well.

The thing that is not talked about that appears as a shot across the MSFT bow is  iWorks on the cloud. Did MSFT take too long to put its stuff into the mobile world for Apple and now Apple is launching its own invasion?

It looks like it is going to get very interesting in the next couple of months but I think there is a lot to look forward to in the Apple world.

post #206 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

So how would you have designed it?

First of all i wouldn't make it all white including the backgrounds of interface elements. There is a lack of definition between UI elements and content. Headers and status bars blend into the content. Look at Messages: the keyboard, content area, and status bars all look like one piece. I have nearly perfect vision and find it overwhelming. I can't imagine someone with older eyes finding it easy to use. Photos is another example: the white washes out the color and division between thumbnails. The amount of lighness is going to cause greater eye fatigue. In general, everything just blurs together in a UI soup. It is actually a relief to see a little grey like in the App Store. That looks nice: strong division from the hero image w/ grey background, from the content on white. I agree with the concept of making the UI sit back and let the content move forward but that needs to happen on a per-case basis, not "make everything white".

There is an inconsistent mix of font and color choices that makes the heirarchy hard to parse. Control Center is a perfect example: there is a mix of light and dark text that is both hard to scan because of the alternating color and hard to interpret importance because of it. Using a light blue and black as primary interface fonts is also extremely hard to read on white. Sharing icons should be more substantial, even if they were filled grey. They seem disabled, or unfinished, or unclickable. They look like they got pasted from a wireframe. The signal stregth feedback should remain as the "stepped bars". This is an industry standard, clearly communicates increase/decrease, and takes up less real esatate in the status bar.

Those are things from the top of my head after watching the keynote.

The UI was one of the lowest priority things that needed changing. It could still happen but i would have loved to see some real changes: changing default app handlers (mail, maps, browser), greater music management freedom when you are not near your "master" machine (or content in general), and make Siri work better than Google Speech recognition (which is awesome).
post #207 of 411
People keep talking about the pastel colours. The point is that everyone has their own background and the 'frosted glass' appearance reflects whatever you have as a background.
post #208 of 411
Quote:

Yeah, you're right. Apple doesn't care about profits at all.

Not imaginary profits from losers like you who claim they won't buy anything Apple again. If I had a dollar for everytime some "fake Apple user" claimed this.

Seriously, do you think you're fooling anyone here? We see idiots like you regularly and the pattern is always the same. Create new account, post something negative from the position of concerned Apple user (hence the term "concern troll") and then complain when people call you on it. In fact, I'd wager your the same loser who appeared here last week as your posting habits and use of language are the same.

What's the matter, little baby, upset you've been found out?

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

post #209 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

You just became an iPhone dev this February and you're looking back to the good old days of when you had your first hackintosh?  Please continue inspiring us.

To put the dates on them, I had my 1st hackintosh in 2010, on an HP DV6516TX laptop. Got the iMac in Sep 2011. Self learned iOS from Aug 2012, after graduation. Became an iOS developer in a startup in Feb 2013. It's Jul 2013 now.

Did you really think that ahead, err, far back?

post #210 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Neither you nor anyone here is the "mainstream public". Internet forums are not good samplings of the public. People posting on forums are almost always more "techie" than John Public, and most gravitate to wherever their biases take them. 

LOL. Good one.

post #211 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

What was stolen? Be specific with images.

1.  Lock screen design and live wallpapers:

Below compare to

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/  and also http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/design/

2.  General appearance of the calendar:

3.  General appearance of the music player:

4.  General appearance of the camera interface:

5.  Control center (Android idea with Windows Phone look)

6.  The animation where apps open outward from their icon

7.  The general look and feel of the multitasking window (kind of a mix of stock Android and HTC Sense 4.0).  This image is from Sense 4:

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

8.  The general style of folders, although iOS goes one step ahead with scrolling:

Edited by wakefinance - 6/10/13 at 3:06pm
post #212 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealg View Post

The thing that is not talked about that appears as a shot across the MSFT bow is  iWorks on the cloud. Did MSFT take too long to put its stuff into the mobile world for Apple and now Apple is launching its own invasion?

First of all, there are already 3rd party solutions to give iPad access to "Office in the Cloud."

Second, Apple has been planning cloud-based iWork all along. It doesn't make sense for a company like Apple to offer iWork (or any productivity apps) that's not cloud-based. 

post #213 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sure, an iPhone, since it has superseded all other metaphors for what a "phone" is in the modern world.

Of course, the problem there is one of recursion. Apple will have to make the Retina-Within-A-Retina-Within-A-Retina display to show the icon properly, since it will just be iPhones all the way down.

Come off it.

At least you're up to speed, troll.

Nice to know that you just keep trolling. Also, the standard Seel O' Quabity:

Oh, and one more thing… the new UI function swipe from the left edge? SUCK IT, LARGE SCREENS. Apple specifically put this feature in the OS; they won't be making an iPhone you can't use with a single hand. BA HA HA HA HA!

I wonder how long it will be before Samsung's icons become "stale"?

A yellow flower for photo's is, so yesterday.

I wonder if they have started "innovating" new changes.

post #214 of 411
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post
A yellow flower for photo's is, so yesterday.

If their next phartiphuckphablet has a color wheel for its camera icon, Apple needs to throw lawsuits to the wind and start actively provoking the North to war.

post #215 of 411
Quote:

To be clear, in my opinion the new interface is about as unimpressive to me as the Windows 8 interface. And also in my opinion, the design has been influenced by Windows 8 design. So as far as I'm concerned, it does look like a watered-down Windows Phone.

I'm seriously debating whether I'm going to bother upgrading, which is a first related to my Apple devices, and from what I've read, I'm not the only one who thinks so. Call me a troll all you want, but don't be surprised if Apple's popularity slips.

It looks nothing like it.

Where are the tiles.

Where is the long list of scrollable icons, once you leave the home screen?

Where is the option to change the colour of the tiles and icons and the background from light to dark?

post #216 of 411

give the UI back to micro$haft... pure ugliness. one more reason to not upgrade. sad...

post #217 of 411
Originally Posted by twistedarts View Post
give the UI back to micro$haft... pure ugliness. one more reason to not upgrade. sad...

Come off it.

post #218 of 411
Quote:

So that's why you've been so easy to provoke.

Mods.

I understand that you like to exercise a fair deal of restraint when dealing with certain irritating individuals but when a single poster is responsible for 27 posts in a 247 post thread, they spend most of that time engaging in pointless 'back-and-forths' with multiple posters, not to mention admit provoking users, I think it's time to step in.

EDIT: Thank you. Now somebody open a few windows in here so we can let out all the stink...

Edited by GTR - 6/10/13 at 2:41pm
post #219 of 411
I like the interface, although I admit I did say I thought it looked a bit Googley during the presentation. I think the overall point is that everyone has a photo as their background and the OS tries to enhance this. The change of perspective as the apps float over your photo I expect is one of those things you have to see properly to appreciate. The frosted glass style continues the theme. A lot of my friends' phones are basically pictures of their kids with apps stuck all over their faces. I think Jony is trying to make your photos look better. Overall I like the new design and it's great that the phone I bought last year will get a new look.
post #220 of 411
Jesus, I think I don't like the new 'design language 'where till now I loved everything Apple did (or mostly). It's completely radical, it's new direction of design which is looks at would be pushed towards simplicity etc but it's too plain. Content in icons looks like blown bubbles too big not proportional with the space. I don't know, I need to play with it to feel it. Also it looks too 'edgy' like Microsoft square blocks. I thought they will 'clean up' the old UI and unifies, but no - they radically transformed. I agree in some cases it looks even too childish, like kids program on TV. Obviously the functionality and usability should be really cool and even more smoother and fun to use but...
I'm confused ... (which doesn't mean a bad thing after all)

What do you think??
post #221 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Mods.

I understand that you like to exercise a fair deal of restraint when dealing with certain irritating individuals but when a single poster is responsible for 27 posts in a 225 post thread, they spend most of that time engaging in pointless 'back-and-forths' with multiple posters, not to mention admit provoking users, I think it's time to step in.

Based on those standards, can we have Tallest Skil banned as well?

post #222 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

First of all, there are already 3rd party solutions to give iPad access to "Office in the Cloud."

Second, Apple has been planning cloud-based iWork all along. It doesn't make sense for a company like Apple to offer iWork (or any productivity apps) that's not cloud-based. 

Indeed.  iWork in the Cloud is not even needed by the majority of iWork users simply because if you use iWork, chances are you already have it on your computer.  iWork in the cloud is really just for when you are stuck and therefore it is rightly the *last* thing added.  

Personally I was really disappointed that they didn't talk about iWork at all except for this boring muck about the cloud.  When are they going to finish the iWork iOS apps? Are they going to have a makeover too?  Show us what the interface looks like for that, not f*cking iCloud.  

As for "Company X should be worried" stories ... I think the fact that Apple maps is now on the desktop should have Google shaking in their boots.  The interface looks miles better than Googles right out of the gate. 

post #223 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacerays View Post

To put the dates on them, I had my 1st hackintosh in 2010, on an HP DV6516TX laptop. Got the iMac in Sep 2011. Self learned iOS from Aug 2012, after graduation. Became an iOS developer in a startup in Feb 2013. It's Jul 2013 now.

Did you really think that ahead, err, far back?

I don't get what you're saying here.  You might as well have just said "I'm a kid with virtually no experience who just got into this stuff very recently."  This doesn't help to make you look good. 

post #224 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Come off it.

let me rephrase, give it TO them. sorry but IMHO does not look good. too inconsistent. here is my UI on my jb phone. finally got the tri-corder I always wanted. just getting really tired of this white-wanna-be-scandanavian-design......  

post #225 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Based on those standards, can we have Tallest Skil banned as well?

He's right, you know. I know TS is pro-Apple but a lot of times he only serves to enflame posters by his drive-by, one sentence sarcasm and comment bashing.

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

post #226 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
1.  Lock screen design and live wallpapers:

Below compare to

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/  and also http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/design/

2.  General appearance of the calendar:

3.  General appearance of the music player:

4.  General appearance of the camera interface:

5.  Control center (Android idea with Windows Phone look)

6.  The animation where apps open outward from their icon

7.  The general look and feel of the multitasking window (kind of a mix of stock Android and HTC Sense 4.0):

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

8.  The general style of folders, although iOS goes one step ahead with scrolling:

That's the ugliest UI I've ever seen. Thanks for the pics- it's a good reminder as to what the other mobile operating systems look like. Yuck!
Edited by Andysol - 6/10/13 at 3:03pm

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #227 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Whatever you do, don't tell Google this.

They've had a bad enough day as it is!

Believe me, I find that logo ugly as well.  Most of Google's apps are ugly icons, anyway.  Aside from the Google Search one, at least.

post #228 of 411
All the trolls are out in force tonight I see. What is it about bold, great new products from Apple that brings them out of the woodworks? Oh well.

Anyhow, this is a definite game-changer for iOS, Apple in specific. It's a bold new direction for iOS to be sure and it's going to take some time (for me at least) to get used to it but I like it a lot.

I think of all the changes to iOS we saw today Notification Center is probably the one that impressed me the most. A simple, clean design but bold in its simplicity.
post #229 of 411
Andysol, 'trolls' is not equal to: 'people with a different opinion'.
post #230 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

That's the ugliest UI I've ever seen. Thanks for the pics. Even those who don't like the changes can now see the alternative UI- way way way worse.

I can't say you're wrong since that's your opinion, and I agree that iOS 7 is far more beautiful (though 6 was not), but I think it's fair to remind you that this UI debuted in 2011.  Although I'm almost definitely switching to the iPhone so I can use iOS 7, I think that Android 5.0 will likely surpass it in terms of design considering how large the leaps have been from 2.0 to 3.0 and 3.0 to 4.0.

post #231 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Andysol, 'trolls' is not equal to: 'people with a different opinion'.
How about you reread what I said in this thread and to whom I was addressing. I know the difference between the two.

post #232 of 411
Wow, iOS 7 is butt ugly. I'll be sticking with version 6 until who knows when.

I wonder if a Microsoft mole is working on Apple's design interface team?...
post #233 of 411
I really hope the calculator app is on page two and not deprecated
post #234 of 411
Originally Posted by CustomTB View Post
I really hope the calculator app is on page two and not deprecated

Couldn't go to Apple.com?

post #235 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Didn't realize this. Thanks for pointing that out. Are any of them good?

The novelty, I thought, was that this is an Apple based solution that will work through a browser on Windows 8 or with Chrome. I was thinking that this was a way for Apple to move people away from Office or Google stuff and onto Apple stuff. The fact that they announced it today when there were a bunch of other things that they could have talked about on stage, I thought was significant. 

post #236 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I agree entirely.  Especially about the Safari icon, what were they thinking?  

That and OS X "Mavericks" are just astoundingly bad/tacky.  Whatever made them think that the whole world is as enamoured of California and surfing as they are at Apple?  After the Sea Lion joke that preceded it, absolutely everyone in the room where I was assumed that "Mavericks" was an equally tacky joke name.  Jaws dropped when it became apparent that it wasn't. 

Hmmm.  Let me take a crack at it...  They're a California-based company and maybe they are proud of the California culture?

I don't think the name Mavericks has so much to do with expecting you to be enamored by California and surfing as much as it has to do with them being able to choose a name that they like for a product that they created.

In the context of big cats, the Sea Lion joke was brilliant, not tacky.  And for the record, my jaw didn't drop when they announced that the next generation of OS X would be called Mavericks.  I think it is an appropriate name and sounds a hell of a lot better than "Gazoobee" (which is quite tacky by the way).

post #237 of 411

The best announcement is the Dev APIs and Dev Tools. The UI isn't making me gush, though it beats the crap offered on Android [Give me a system wide color switch from All White to semi-transparent color of my choice and I'll be way more impressed. Dump the new Safari icon and others of equivalent abysmal appearance]. OS X improvements hit it out of the park, especially the APIs and power coming to OS X.

Base Station hit it out of the park.

R2D2 21st century did nothing for me other than to brag about an extremely expensive small footprint niche workstation.

I don't comment on Macbook Air systems. I hate laptops. I prefer Desktop/Workstation or iPad.

Have no interest in a smartphone until Telcos stop having service fees equivalent to our nuts in a vice.

post #238 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziadjk View Post

It seems iOS 7 was tailored for the white iPhone.. Too much white in too many places..

Yes, I was wondering if Apple will add a "night mode" (sort of like iBooks) so the screens with so much white space won't be like staring into a flashlight in the dark.

I've not seen the video of the keynote yet, so I'll withhold further comment until I get a chance to see it in action.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #239 of 411
The lock screen background looks very similar to Android ICS Phase Beam Live Wallpaper, just saying. ^^
post #240 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

Hmmm.  Let me take a crack at it...  They're a California-based company and maybe they are proud of the California culture?

I don't think the name Mavericks has so much to do with expecting you to be enamored by California and surfing as much as it has to do with them being able to choose a name that they like for a product that they created.

In the context of big cats, the Sea Lion joke was brilliant, not tacky.  And for the record, my jaw didn't drop when they announced that the next generation of OS X would be called Mavericks.  I think it is an appropriate name and sounds a hell of a lot better than "Gazoobee" (which is quite tacky by the way).

I love the California Culture reference and the tongue-in-cheek Sea Lion chuckle. Yet, California is rich in words that don't coincide with Top Gun and thus Maverick gives people that impression.

They could have called it OS X Rebel and people would complain about a homage to James Dean. I was half expecting OS X Venice, OS X Malibu, OS X Yosemite, etc., after the Big Wave reference.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple reveals overhauled iOS 7 with vibrant, more colorful design