or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple reveals overhauled iOS 7 with vibrant, more colorful design

Apple reveals overhauled iOS 7 with vibrant, more colorful design - Page 9

post #321 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I predict most people will be pretty happy with iOS 7, despite these issues. If it's a universal complaint, Apple can always tweak it, so be sure to tell them, not just post about it on these forums.

I've reached out to Apple, but it remains to be seen if anyone is listening.

I agree that this is all fixable.  I'm concerned about the brand damage it will do for them to publicly showcase this design as is, and then to change it.  But I am more concerned about what may happen if they do not; I am very convinced that if they don't change these core issues surrounding font clarity and contrast, this is going to ultimately work against them.

Tim made a point today that more revenue and use comes from IOS devices than from any other mobile OS.  I suggest that is because, among other things, users find IOS devices more pleasant to use.  And as a result, owners of IOS devices use them more - a lot more.  

Lots of things contribute to why users of IOS find it more pleasant, and a truism is that most users cannot explain why it is that they like one thing more than another.  I believe this is primarily because many of these opinions are at their core emotional responses, and they are formed at a mostly unconscious level - a level mostly revolving around the processing of stimuli.  When our sensory systems are pushed harder by something - when we have to expend more attentional resource in order to obtain value from it, or to use it in the pursuit of a goal... then emotionally our experience of it is harmed.  It causes a form of fatigue that is experienced, at a core level, as some form of unpleasantness.  We in turn use the device less, we like it less, and we gravitate to those things that are less offensive to our unconscious mind.  That may sound like garbage, but as a designer and a usability / UX architect, I believe it to be true.  People experience things emotionally, and the degree to which something promotes negative feelings very much influences how likely it is for us to continue using that thing.  And the kicker is that much of this happens below the surface, to the extent that users cannot fully or even partially explain why they favor one thing over another.  But these factors exert a large effect on the user's behavior with respect to a system.  

So, while these seem as if they are minor issues, from the perspective of the brand and of the long term viability and saleability of the platform, they are less minor than one might assume.

post #322 of 410
The 3D and layering effects of their new interface is likely to be profound and will be quickly incorporated by developers. Games will most certainly take advantage of it. My guess is feature will be huge.
post #323 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

The 3D and layering effects of their new interface is likely to be profound and will be quickly incorporated by developers. Games will most certainly take advantage of it. My guess is feature will be huge.

Perhaps.  Right now, it is very subtle and I suspect most users would miss it entirely if it weren't pointed out to them.  It also doesn't work properly, with the result that UI elements sometimes make sudden and jarring movements that are very unpleasant.

post #324 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

Perhaps.  Right now, it is very subtle and I suspect most users would miss it entirely if it weren't pointed out to them.  It also doesn't work properly, with the result that UI elements sometimes make sudden and jarring movements that are very unpleasant.

iOS 7 is still beta, so I would expect problems similar to what you've noted.
post #325 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

iOS 7 is still beta, so I would expect problems similar to what you've noted.

I'm a long time developer and i've been around through betas of the OS going back to the second generation.  This is the most unfinished and tweaky UI layer I've ever seen Apple release to beta.

post #326 of 410
Quote:

I'm a long time developer and i've been around through betas of the OS going back to the second generation.  This is the most unfinished and tweaky UI layer I've ever seen Apple release to beta.

Hopefully, as a developer, you'll provide the feedback that will help see iOS 7 released as a polished product. The parallax seems to be a clever application of the accelerometer/gyroscope capability, inputs from both of which would be necessary to make the effect work.

All the best.

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #327 of 410
does anyone know where i can get that blue bubbly wallpaper..?? 1smile.gif thanks
post #328 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

The Verge isn't completely off base. I would not call it confusing. I would call it unfinished. Honestly, I think they didn't have time to do everything.

Bear in mind they have not had a lot of time to pull this off. I think they did the right thing putting together a design language and process first. But I am not convinced they have followed it. The icons are wildly inconsistent, as if different designers worked on a few each and didn't share. In some cases, I have to wonder if the app icon designer was involved in the UI design of the app, or used it at all.

This whole thing is unfinished. I don't know about irreparable damage and don't care about the stock. But they have work to do.
Seems to me there's a fair number of people hating on it just because they don't like the app icons. For me the added functionality outweighs some not so nice looking icons. I'm still amazed they were able to do what they did in a very short period of time. But Apple knew they had to shake things up. This is by no means a finished product in terms of their ultimate vision. I've no doubt it will get refined and perfected over time.

John Gruber was right though about it being polarizing. I see the people that hate it really hate it. I'm not seeing a lot of 'meh', people are either liking it or they're not. The guys on the Macworld podcast liked it, the guys on the Cult of Mac podcast hated it, John Gruber likes it, the Verge calls it confusing. WWDC audience gave it a standing ovation. Honestly I think a lot of the hate is a knee jerk reaction from people who don't have the beta and just have the home screen icons fixated on their brain. Or people who aren't software developers that downloaded the beta and expect it to function like production ready software.
post #329 of 410

Even back with iOS 5 I felt the UI Visual was tired. I considered Windows Mobile more modern and applauded the ability to design without copying (one of the few nice things I've ever said about MS). Now I feel that Apple have leap-frogged the competition such that now Apple are again ahead in all areas. My only area of concern relates to contrast/legibility, so hopefully the level of translucency will be user-controllable. I'm very happy feature/functionality wise too :)

post #330 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkndrublic View Post

Looks pretty well labeled to me, I love this feature.   

Sure, the icon is labeled in Settings.  So is the TTY icon.   Both are asked about a lot on the 'net, because if either gets accidentally turned on, the icon by itself is meaningless unless you know about it.

(More intuitive Do Not Disturb icons are usually a phone or a speaker with an X or diagonal bar like a traffic Do-Not-Something sign.  That at least gives a huge visual hint that something is turned off.)

In any case, that's why I wish they'd included labels in the control center, just like they do for non-standard icons almost everywhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Is that a torch app bottom left?

Yes.   Thus the threads about what that means to flashlight app developers, since it's very unlikely that Apple would let the user decide which flashlight app to launch.

(There seems to be some confusion.  Some think that the bottom line shows your most-used apps.  Others say that the apps are hardcoded.  I think it's the latter.  Anyone know for sure?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I don't know, maybe Samsung will release an ad that explains it instead of bumping phones together all the time.

Samsung's done several ads showing people sharing photos or documents across a group.  But yeah, you're right... bumping is visually more memorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aderutter View Post

Even back with iOS 5 I felt the UI Visual was tired. I considered Windows Mobile more modern and applauded the ability to design without copying (one of the few nice things I've ever said about MS). 

It was easy to predict, even when the iPhone first came out, that eventually Apple would have to update the UI.  Styles change.  Technology advances.  People want features from other devices.    So this isn't the last version either.  The UI will change AGAIN sometime in the future.  History guarantees it.

Edited by KDarling - 6/11/13 at 6:06am
post #331 of 410
I am really disappointed in the initial images of the new look. I am a huge Apple fan, but this new look lacks the beauty of the current IOS. I know others have mentioned this but it very much looks like a copy of Android.
post #332 of 410
I just re-watched the iOS 7 portion of the keynote and I'm really jazzed about the features they added. This is a major feature release. These features are way more important than what an app icon looks like. Too bad people seem to be focusing so much on the app icon designs instead of the great features iOS is finally getting.

Also I'm glad they didn't make a big deal about iTunes radio. I like that they treated it as a nice new feature to the music app rather than some big new service. Again I think Apple is more concerned about users having a great experience than being a pandora killer or whatever.

I'll be curious to see what they saved for the new iPhone release. There has to be some feature they held back to announce with the new phone. Will be interested to see what that is.
post #333 of 410

To me the new look is about change for nothing more than the sake of change. I hope I am wrong, but  the images of the new IOS are boring and plain looking. They lack the visual appeal of the current IOS.

post #334 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlees View Post

To me the new look is about change for nothing more than the sake of change. I hope I am wrong, but  the images of the new IOS are boring and plain looking. They lack the visual appeal of the current IOS.
Did you even watch the keynote where Craig talked about all the new FEATURES? Quick access to most used settings and better multitasking is not change for the sake of change. Yeah Apple could have added them to the iOS 6 design but then everyone would have complained that its the same old boring UI. 1rolleyes.gif
post #335 of 410

The weather app looks nice but until they add hour-by-hour forecast and actual radar maps it's still completely worthless to me. I don't know about where everyone else lives but it can be totally sunny and hot the same day there's a torrential downpour so I'd like to be able to see what time that is and be able to look at radar.  I guess I'm stuck with TWC until someone else decides that people who are interested in more than just "what's it doing right now" deserve a useful app.

The color scheme they showed off does have a distinct Samsung feel to it but it felt like a massively refined Samsung which, well, that's what Apple is best at.  Taking the status-quo and ratcheting it up a few notches.

post #336 of 410
Quote:

Oh and when you buy new clothes, or artwork for your house, or if you reprint your walls, or buy a new comforter for your bed, is that change for the sake of change? iOS had basically the same look and feel for 6 years. Does your house look exactly the way it did 6 years ago? Are you still wearing the same clothes you wore 6 years ago? My guess is not.
post #337 of 410

I love the iOS 7 look.  It's got the functionality I wanted from Android like the control center.  All they need to do is build a phone that's just under 5 inches and I am back to being all in on Apple.  (If they do I am going to have to figure out a way to change my name from Ex iPhone Owner to Current iPhone Owner.)

post #338 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

The weather app looks nice but until they add hour-by-hour forecast and actual radar maps it's still completely worthless to me. I don't know about where everyone else lives but it can be totally sunny and hot the same day there's a torrential downpour so I'd like to be able to see what time that is and be able to look at radar.  I guess I'm stuck with TWC until someone else decides that people who are interested in more than just "what's it doing right now" deserve a useful app.

Just a note:  I use the "Rain Alarm" app on both iOS and Android.   It notifies you when rain is close by or headed your way, and you can then open it and look at the animated radar to check.  Very handy.

post #339 of 410
Quote:

The color scheme they showed off does have a distinct Samsung feel to it but it felt like a massively refined Samsung which, well, that's what Apple is best at.  Taking the status-quo and ratcheting it up a few notches.

The Weather app has hourly forecasts for the current day.
post #340 of 410
Quote:

That's why there's apps for all that. The OS would become a big sluggish mess if they incorporated every single idea one can come up with.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #341 of 410
Do the iOS app icon changes create a perceptual experience chasm between OS X and iOS, Mac and iDevices?

The new design and UI elements of iOS are a thoughtful approach to 1) tightening the perceptual seams between the hardware and software of iOS devices and 2) giving the content more breathing room for the relatively small space iOS screens afford. Elegant hardware meets elegant software. The app icons reflect this.

However, the lack of app icon consistency between the iOS and OS X does concern me. Namely because the direction has always been to make the Apple experience seamless between devices ... hardware is born from the same design philosophy and iCloud keeps all devices in sync. But different icons for the same apps on iOS and OS X seem to interfere and fragment the Apple experience and ecosystem selling point at the perceptual level.

Standalone, I feel the iOS app icons work. Within a cross-platform point of view, I am not sure. Would like to hear opinions.
post #342 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ever gone a post without trolling? Hint: our answers aren't the same.

Given that my question wasn't trolling, sadly you've merely validated the question.

post #343 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

That's why there's apps for all that. The OS would become a big sluggish mess if they incorporated every single idea one can come up with.

They get their weather from Yahoo by way of The Weather Channel.  They could have a little radar button on the corner that took you to Weather Channel's radar view.

But no doubt- if they put in EVERY idea, it would be absolutely terrible.  Kind of like Android.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #344 of 410
They wanted minimal styling, which I get, but it takes away the power behind the screen resolution and retina display. Somewhere in between what they showed and what it is now would have been better.
post #345 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngliz View Post

I'm reading the posts and I can't believe what people are saying.  You really think this looks great?  You really believe this is a huge improvement?  I'm currently looking at my iPhone 4 and the pictures posted in the story.. I'm just not seeing it.  This looks just as plain and boring as my current phone.  How on earth is this an improvement?  Flat? Square? Plain?  what on earth is so good about this?  I'm seriously at a loss... This must be a big joke!
It's windows are "flat" as in 2-dimensional in order to create a 4D UI environment - which is actually represented in 3D on a 2D screen. The flat 2D windows actually represent 3D "worlds". Since we physically interact in 3D space, we must represent 3D objects in a 4D universe in the flatness of two dimensions just to be able to make the slightest understanding of extra dimensional theoretical 4D space we must imagine as layered space.
post #346 of 410
I think that was an iPhone 5S (or 6 possibly). The new OS is oozing of hints of new hardware features. The background effect will and can be done with the current set of sensors of current models for backwards compatibility, but would work more accurately and effectively with new additional sensor features that track movement. Also, the weather app hints at new weather related sensors as well. The new Mac is telling of wireless AC inclusion in the iPhone 5S and new iPads as well. The OS design also hints at some bevel or edge touch sensors possibility as well. I can see the iPhone and iPad future generations getting bigger screens, being thinner and lighter, blending perfectly with the new UI design.
post #347 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by billnyc View Post

Do the iOS app icon changes create a perceptual experience chasm between OS X and iOS, Mac and iDevices?

The new design and UI elements of iOS are a thoughtful approach to 1) tightening the perceptual seams between the hardware and software of iOS devices and 2) giving the content more breathing room for the relatively small space iOS screens afford. Elegant hardware meets elegant software. The app icons reflect this.

However, the lack of app icon consistency between the iOS and OS X does concern me. Namely because the direction has always been to make the Apple experience seamless between devices ... hardware is born from the same design philosophy and iCloud keeps all devices in sync. But different icons for the same apps on iOS and OS X seem to interfere and fragment the Apple experience and ecosystem selling point at the perceptual level.

Standalone, I feel the iOS app icons work. Within a cross-platform point of view, I am not sure. Would like to hear opinions.

iOS 7 is probably a sneak preview of what OS XI will look like. 

Apple was smart not to change both drastically this year. iOS 7 will give pros time to get used to Apple's new look in time for OS XI.

post #348 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMc73 View Post

They wanted minimal styling, which I get, but it takes away the power behind the screen resolution and retina display. Somewhere in between what they showed and what it is now would have been better.

I think I can agree with this. Apple could have gotten the same new "wow" effect by keeping the old icon designs and placing them into the new layered glass framework.

The old icons just needed the gloss layer removed and they would have been ready to go for iOS 7. 

Edited by blackbook - 6/11/13 at 9:03am
post #349 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Yes, that's exactly what I mean.  Features-wise, I'm quite impressed.  Just the coloring...ugh, that coloring. 
I agree with you TOTALLY! Kudos to Apple for the new features all the same!
post #350 of 410
Quote:

I've reached out to Apple, but it remains to be seen if anyone is listening.

I agree that this is all fixable.  I'm concerned about the brand damage it will do for them to publicly showcase this design as is, and then to change it.  But I am more concerned about what may happen if they do not; I am very convinced that if they don't change these core issues surrounding font clarity and contrast, this is going to ultimately work against them.

If they can recover from Maps (not a beta) then they can recover from one or two inconsistencies in an iOS beta. They're not going to make any major design changes because there's no need to.

From what I've seen, I like it a lot.

My only two beefs are the Safari icon (looks like it was scribbled) and the Game Center icon (the 3D bubbles don't really tell me what it is inconsistent with the flat look of the other icons).

I think folk need to remember that this not the final release.

post #351 of 410
Originally Posted by CustomTB View Post
Buried on the design page. Not exactly obvious now is it.

That's an excuse in exactly zero ways. Why people think they can talk about a product when they haven't even GONE TO THE WEBSITE ABOUT IT is beyond me.

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
Um.... I could be wrong, but I understood the one in the middle -- "no icons labeled" -- as the ones you choose to put in there. Assuming you know what you're doing....

I could have sworn those are static.

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post
Can we take Sir Jony's knighthood back now?

Straight from the Hello Kitty design manual 1oyvey.gif

Man, you're just stupid.

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Well the design snobs at the Verge have spoken and call iOS 7 simply confusing. 

They would say that; none of them have used it.

Originally Posted by boyan View Post
does anyone know where i can get that blue bubbly wallpaper..?? 1smile.gif thanks

It'll be included in iOS 7, and there's already a dark blue bokeh in shipping iOS'.

post #352 of 410

iOS 7 looks great, and it will DEFINITELY make me take a very close look at getting an iPhone when I upgrade in a few months.

There's plenty to be excited about in iOS 7, but some of the comments I've read about it being "innovative" or "revolutionary" are over the top, as most of those features existed in some form or fashion on other platforms beforehand.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #353 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I'll bite the bait 1wink.gif
So... What should iOS 7 look more like?

Well, if I have to pick what it should look more like, I'd go with iOS6. Easy answer there. I didn't relish the skeumorphism but I didn't hate it the way many people did. What bothers me about 7 isn't so much the icons (though I think they're much worse than before) but the apps -- particularly the text-based apps such as Mail and Calendar. The graphical look of Mail is so stripped bare that it could have been designed in Microsoft Word. I guess that appeals to some people, but not to me. And I just can't stand that ultrathin Helvetica Neue font or whatever it is. It feels very un-Apple to me. 

post #354 of 410
Quote:

I am really disappointed in the initial images of the new look. I am a huge Apple fan, but this new look lacks the beauty of the current IOS. I know others have mentioned this but it very much looks like a copy of Android.

Another new joiner. Starting to think they're all the same person.

post #355 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

To think, the background is only as "boring" as the picture YOU choose to put there.

Apple can't help it if your life is so meaningless and "boring" you can't think of anything likeable you'd put there.

Man, the civility level on AppleInsider forums is low even by internet discussion standards. My complaint about the white background wasn't about the home screen but about the apps themselves, such as Mail or Calendar or Messages. I'd be delighted if Apple allows me to customize it to my boring, meaningless life, but somehow I don't think that's forthcoming. 

post #356 of 410
Quote:

Yeah, we do.

Literally no one cares.

Enjoy missing out willfully.

You clearly hit your head sometime in the interim or just weren't around for System 8. Though it could be said the pinstriping in 10.1 was, well…

What's the point of this reply, exactly? I get that you strongly disagree with my strong dislike for iOS7. Replying that nobody cares and claiming that people who disagree with you must have brain damage is just... odd. 

post #357 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I'm not surprised you don't recall the time you contributed. 1wink.gif

And do your own f*cking homework, son.

I ain't your mummy.

Mmm such a fiery temper. It's kind of turning me on.

As you asked, I did my own fxcking homework and determined that have contributed only well-reasoned arguments throughout my entire time here. 1smile.gif
post #358 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

iOS 7 is probably a sneak preview of what OS XI will look like. 

Apple was smart not to change both drastically this year. iOS 7 will give pros time to get used to Apple's new look in time for OS XI.
As if Apple really had time to redesign two operating systems in 6 months.
post #359 of 410
Originally Posted by dlees View Post
I am a huge Apple fan, but…

Shut up and go away.

THESE ARE NOT GUIDELINES FOR WHAT TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POSTS.

Originally Posted by djr12 View Post
What's the point of this reply, exactly? I get that you strongly disagree with my strong dislike for iOS7. Replying that nobody cares and claiming that people who disagree with you must have brain damage is just... odd. 

See the above link.

post #360 of 410
Quote:

That's an excuse in exactly zero ways. Why people think they can talk about a product when they haven't even GONE TO THE WEBSITE ABOUT IT is beyond me.

I could have sworn those are static.

Man, you're just stupid.

They would say that; none of them have used it.

It'll be included in iOS 7, and there's already a dark blue bokeh in shipping iOS'.
Design snobs and the tech press will hate it. The average person who installs it on their phone will love it. And I think developers will love it. They gave it a standing ovation yesterday. Probably because they were more focused on the improved functionality than whether the app icons are ugly or not. 1rolleyes.gif
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple reveals overhauled iOS 7 with vibrant, more colorful design