or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple reveals overhauled iOS 7 with vibrant, more colorful design
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple reveals overhauled iOS 7 with vibrant, more colorful design - Page 10

post #361 of 410

I think it has potential, at this early beta stage its hard to really come out with any decent judgement as there will be a lot more polish over the next few months.

 

One thing I hope they come up with is a few more options for widget themes, the light scheme doesn't look as nice on the black iPhone 5 as it did on the white in the keynote, or at a a minimum the opacity could do with coming down a bit more when you have a dark backdrop.

 

I like a lot of it, I'm a bit "meh" about some of it, and I'm not sure I like the new icons.

 

Not worth judging it yet though as you know - 1st Beta...

post #362 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

My first observation (and a personal UI pet peeve) is that the design is not consistent about the use of icon labels, and picked the worst place to leave them out.  New, casual, or non-computer-savvy users often never use a button because they're not sure what it does.
 
For example, look below at the control center.  What's the crescent moon for?   Night display mode?  Put the device to sleep?   Hard to tell.  Is the second icon from the bottom left a timer?   That's my first guess, but perhaps it's where you set the display turn-off delay.
 
Interestingly, they did label the Air Drop and Air Play icons (presumably because most people won't recognize those icons at all).   Other windows also have labeled icons.  And of course, the icons used on bottom tab menus are labeled.  The control center is an aberration.
 

 

 

Okay, I easily identified all the icons in the  control centre because I've come across them in the settings. Is it likely that folk will use the control centre shortcut before they have explored the settings of the phone? Secondly, when you press the button, the control centre displays a message to say what just happened. Not sure what it does? Tap it then tap it again. The icons on the bottom are pretty self-explanatory, so why label them? The buttons on the leftmost picture need labelling because the icons won't tell you what the button does.

post #363 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


Design snobs and the tech press will hate it. The average person who installs it on their phone will love it. And I think developers will love it. They gave it a standing ovation yesterday. Probably because they were more focused on the improved functionality than whether the app icons are ugly or not. 1rolleyes.gif

 

Because the icons can be fixed of course. Folk are behaving like this is the golden master or something. If it was then they'd release it now.

post #364 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

Okay, I easily identified all the icons in the  control centre because I've come across them in the settings. Is it likely that folk will use the control centre shortcut before they have explored the settings of the phone? 

 

Yep, I know a lot of smartphone owners who haven't looked at each possible setting.  Don't you?  Plus, as I said, just Google for how many people have asked what the moon icon is.

 

It's mostly geeks and males who explore their phone in detail, and it takes longer for each new OS version.  Heck, I program mobile devices for a living, and I stopped going through each new model's Settings a long time ago.  Too many.  No time for it any more.  Now I Google for what setting I need to change.

 

It's not just the newbies or the casual users who need labels, either.  There are multiple ways in which people recognize something.  Everyone is different.   Some use position, others the basic shape.  Others look for the color or icon or text.  A consistent, well designed UI takes every user type into account.  Favor none, give affordance to everyone.


Edited by KDarling - 6/11/13 at 11:45am
post #365 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by djr12 View Post

Man, the civility level on AppleInsider forums is low even by internet discussion standards. My complaint about the white background wasn't about the home screen but about the apps themselves, such as Mail or Calendar or Messages. I'd be delighted if Apple allows me to customize it to my boring, meaningless life, but somehow I don't think that's forthcoming. 

You obviously haven't been on macrumors. This is easily one of the more civil sites.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #366 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by aderutter View Post

Even back with iOS 5 I felt the UI Visual was tired. I considered Windows Mobile more modern and applauded the ability to design without copying (one of the few nice things I've ever said about MS). Now I feel that Apple have leap-frogged the competition such that now Apple are again ahead in all areas. My only area of concern relates to contrast/legibility, so hopefully the level of translucency will be user-controllable. I'm very happy feature/functionality wise too :)

Given the inherent transparecy of the layers legibility, or lack thereof, may be very dependant on what wallpaper is chosen to underlay the screens. Very "busy" images like those bubbles will provide challenges others may not. I've played with that on my current phone with my lockscreen being a complex image I happen to like while the homescreen is underlane with a simpler patterned image.

post #367 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstryfe View Post

That's a lot of processor juice to do something you could easily do by looking to the top center of the screen....

lol.gif

Then, we all must believe those parallactic moves --- vital for the iOS operation, I realize --- can happen just because the wall paper is not nailed to the desktop. And our twits will just roll down a slope to make nighttime update "according to user's habits" possible.

 

I admit, I could care much more to help everyone in a crowd understand my thoughts. Well, sorry, I won't. Don't take it personal.

 

One more thing...

 

A guy, which I used to view as a seasoned troll, apes "static". People from everywhere on the Web say "got my hands on, the time on the icon is live". I'm all puzzled.1bugeye.gif

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #368 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post


The most glaring thing I see is the new "Slide to Unlock" that doesn't include an image of a slider. To new users it doesn't make any sense.
 

 

You know, I was thinking about this and wondering if maybe it gives you a little message the first time you start it up, telling you what to do?

post #369 of 410

Well, I'm first in line of believers in the truth that Mr Forstall might have been full of shit and all skeuomorphic evil he did should now be damned and burnt down.

 

Sadly, I would never know the answer to the question that I've long been asking Apple:

 

OK, I see what small rounded rectangle icons are to the iPhone. They are just what buttons are to a phone. Got it.

 

What are small rounded rectangle icons to the iPad1bugeye.gif

 

I know, amusing parallactic moves, which must be turning 3-4 in Android development these days, are much easier to figure out..

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #370 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

Because the icons can be fixed of course. Folk are behaving like this is the golden master or something. If it was then they'd release it now.
I think if people are expecting major redesigns before it ships they'll be disappointed. Apple needs to make sure they ship a product that is as bug free as possible. And with a huge redesign like this there are bound to be a lot of bugs. I take issue with people who haven't used it yet but are already proclaiming it DOA. Or those who did install the beta but only played around with it for a few minutes and saying it sucks. It was risky for Apple to completely redesign something in 6 months but Apple probably felt it was more risky to leave it the same. I look at this as just the beginning and no doubt Jony Ive will learn a lot from this experience and as Apple keeps refining it it will become great. iOS 7 is just the start.
post #371 of 410

In general, I like the changes. A few of the icons I don't care for, but in general I like all the color and use of white space. Very clean. Very modern. The skeuomorphs in iOS had gotten really old and out-dated, and had essentailly served their purpose. In the beginning it was easy for people to pick up a phone and understand what things were with the skeuomorphisms. But things have changed and the market has matured. Time to move on.

 

I really do like all the new features, the layers, gestures, the edge-to-edge screen experience, and the enhanced security. In the end, its the total experience (which includes the whole ecosystem) that decides whether or not I'll stick with a product. Apple is giving me plenty of reasons to stay. 

post #372 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbage View Post

It's just so random, every screen is different, no consistency at all. This is bad design pure and simple. And those colors! It's like Vista glass and Android had a weird baby with Windows Phone. It's just shockingly bad.

 

I really have to disagree with this. Go to the Apple website, iOS 7 intro pages, and 'swipe' through the different collections of screenshots. I found those surprisingly coherent and consistent actually, and with the exception of a few very specialized apps (weather, compass, stocks, et al) they all move within an obvious and specific set of clear design rules.

 

It's interesting how much the wallpaper effects the look and feel throughout (due to the blur/translucency effect). We'll have a certain amount of control over the end result that way, presumably.

 

Of course, it will probably come down to taste (and in some cases, depend on how 'reactive' you might be to change in general), but personally until I get hands on with it, I'm withholding final judgement. There's a lot I question, but most of it I find totally acceptable, interesting and even downright likable. Can't wait to get hands on with it, see how it flows with the new changes.

post #373 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidgr View Post

Still no customized home screen.  Still no widgets.  meh

 

And if there had been, you'd probably still find something to go "meh" about, no doubt...

 

I customize my "home screen". Organize it with the apps I want 'up top', folders too, choose my wallpaper… what the hell else would I want to customize? Seriously...

 

And what's this obsession with widgets anyway? Isn't there 'an app for that'?

post #374 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Stand back, everybody.

The guy with the Japanese porn username wants to give a lesson on classiness.

Perhaps he got his tentacles in a knot.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #375 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I just re-watched the iOS 7 portion of the keynote and I'm really jazzed about the features they added. This is a major feature release. These features are way more important than what an app icon looks like. Too bad people seem to be focusing so much on the app icon designs instead of the great features iOS is finally getting.

Also I'm glad they didn't make a big deal about iTunes radio. I like that they treated it as a nice new feature to the music app rather than some big new service. Again I think Apple is more concerned about users having a great experience than being a pandora killer or whatever.

I'll be curious to see what they saved for the new iPhone release. There has to be some feature they held back to announce with the new phone. Will be interested to see what that is.

right on. for crissakes, no one chooses phones/tablets because of pretty icons. get real! it's about being really useful and really easy to use. what a bunch of web whiners.

 

new features they would not show yet could be hardware driven. like the rumored fingerprint sensing Home button. Apple has to save at least one big news new feature for the new iPhone launch this Fall, since all these announced iOS 7 features will work on the iPhone 5S and thus won't provide a reason to choose the newest model. under the hood spec bumps aren't enough.

post #376 of 410

While I quite like lots of elements of iOS7, and have mixed feeling about others (the new icons? really?) I'm interested in how this new, very opinionated, very forthright style for iOS will work with third party apps.  iOS up to now has not been without problems, but one thing it's been pretty good at is promiscuity with lots of different interfaces in apps.  Developers could go out on crazy tangents with their UIs, and iOS still seemed to work with it, without jarring transitions, because the central OS had a certain plain flexibility.  Flat was ok, textured was ok, 3D crazy holographic was ok, I have apps with all sorts of weird and wonderful UIs that I can flit between and not mind the differences.  But with an OS that is so distinct in its design choices, is that going to make textured apps seem out of place?, Will apps that don't have the same approach to translucency and flatness stick out like a sore thumb?  Especially when you pull up control center,or pull down Notification Center, and get that iOS style reminder overlaid on an app.  Maybe not, maybe it'll be fine, but it'll be interesting to see.

 

And the even worse alternative is that all apps follow Apple's design lead and we end up with a rather bland and boring platform, where the price of consistency is that everything looks the same, which I think is a problem with Windows Phone.  I think that's less likely though, the iOS development community is just as opinionated and stubborn (in a good way) as Apple 1wink.gif

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #377 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

While I quite like lots of elements of iOS7, and have mixed feeling about others (the new icons? really?) I'm interested in how this new, very opinionated, very forthright style for iOS will work with third party apps.  iOS up to now has not been without problems, but one thing it's been pretty good at is promiscuity with lots of different interfaces in apps.  Developers could go out on crazy tangents with their UIs, and iOS still seemed to work with it, without jarring transitions, because the central OS had a certain plain flexibility.  Flat was ok, textured was ok, 3D crazy holographic was ok, I have apps with all sorts of weird and wonderful UIs that I can flit between and not mind the differences.  But with an OS that is so distinct in its design choices, is that going to make textured apps seem out of place?, Will apps that don't have the same approach to translucency and flatness stick out like a sore thumb?  Especially when you pull up control center,or pull down Notification Center, and get that iOS style reminder overlaid on an app.  Maybe not, maybe it'll be fine, but it'll be interesting to see.


And the even worse alternative is that all apps follow Apple's design lead and we end up with a rather bland and boring platform, where the price of consistency is that everything looks the same, which I think is a problem with Windows Phone.  I think that's less likely though, the iOS development community is just as opinionated and stubborn (in a good way) as Apple 
1wink.gif
I listened to the Accidental Tech podcast with John Siracussa and Marco Arment. Their overall opinion is that it was time for iOS to change but it will be messy for a while as developers work on updating their apps. I enjoyed this podcast because it was a thoughtful discussion about iOS 7, not a knee jerk reaction based on the look of app icons.

Something interesting they talked about was in iOS 6 Apple (and prior) Apple used textures, gradients, shadows, etc. to give something 2D depth or a 3D feel but it was kind of fake 3D. Whereas in iOS 7 they removed a lot of that but you get a more realistic 3D feel with other things they've implemented like parallax and UIKit Dynamics. And that not once did Apple use the word "flat" in their keynote. This stuff has me stoked. I went back and re-watched the keynote and the icons look like they're basically floating on the screen. You definitely saw depth between the icon and the wallpaper. And some of the animations (like in the weather app) are super cool too. My fingers are crossed that Apple can get this working right without negative impact to battery life.

My overall impression based on what I've seen/read is while there is a flatter design aesthetic ala Windows/Android, iOS 7 still has a lot of depth compared to Windows 8 which is flat as a pancake.
post #378 of 410

Installed the iOS7 beta on my iPod touch yesterday. It definitely feels like a completely different animal than previous versions, like it shed 500lbs of weight. The sum of the changes, overall, are generally fantastic and for the better. In many areas, it looks absolutely beautiful. Other places, it needs some refining and cleaning up (ie, the messages app looks gorgeous. News Stand, not so much). As for the icons, like anything, you get used to them, and they become irrelevant. I can't imagine the work that went into putting this together, and I think now that the pieces are there it will improve at a rapid pace. 

 

After using the OS for a while my iPhone on iOS6 already feels still and stodgy. This one is just so much more light, alive, and animated.

 

But it's a drastic change, and I do feel a bid bad for Forstall when using it, as it's clear they've thrown so many thousands of hrs of design time for previous OSes in the trash. And to me- the fact that Apple was willing to do this at such a drastic level, regardless of your personal opinion of the new look, only tells me positive things about the company and their boldness moving forward. 

post #379 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

While I quite like lots of elements of iOS7, and have mixed feeling about others (the new icons? really?) I'm interested in how this new, very opinionated, very forthright style for iOS will work with third party apps.  iOS up to now has not been without problems, but one thing it's been pretty good at is promiscuity with lots of different interfaces in apps.  Developers could go out on crazy tangents with their UIs, and iOS still seemed to work with it, without jarring transitions, because the central OS had a certain plain flexibility.  Flat was ok, textured was ok, 3D crazy holographic was ok, I have apps with all sorts of weird and wonderful UIs that I can flit between and not mind the differences.  But with an OS that is so distinct in its design choices, is that going to make textured apps seem out of place?, Will apps that don't have the same approach to translucency and flatness stick out like a sore thumb?  Especially when you pull up control center,or pull down Notification Center, and get that iOS style reminder overlaid on an app.  Maybe not, maybe it'll be fine, but it'll be interesting to see.

 

And the even worse alternative is that all apps follow Apple's design lead and we end up with a rather bland and boring platform, where the price of consistency is that everything looks the same, which I think is a problem with Windows Phone.  I think that's less likely though, the iOS development community is just as opinionated and stubborn (in a good way) as Apple 1wink.gif

 

I REALLY hope that app developers dont just do ahead and drop their interface to mimick what Apple has done. That would be the worst thing ever. I don't think the current look of iOS should put pressure on them to do that- if ANYTHING, there's now less going on, and it's more "neutral". Devs should continue going crazy with their interfaces and being unique- I DON'T want all my apps transitioning to helvetica on a shitload of whitespace. I think it looks fantastic on the OS level, but will suck all the diversity and interest out of the app ecosystem. 

post #380 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Well, I'm first in line of believers in the truth that Mr Forstall might have been full of shit and all skeuomorphic evil he did should now be damned and burnt down.

 

Sadly, I would never know the answer to the question that I've long been asking Apple:

 

OK, I see what small rounded rectangle icons are to the iPhone. They are just what buttons are to a phone. Got it.

 

What are small rounded rectangle icons to the iPad1bugeye.gif

 

I know, amusing parallactic moves, which must be turning 3-4 in Android development these days, are much easier to figure out..

 

I have no idea what your point is. Part of the reason for iPad's success is that it shares the general same interface and apps as iPhone, and familiarity is there. Or should Apple throw this compatibility and cohesiveness in the trash, to entertain people like you?

post #381 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Installed the iOS7 beta on my iPod touch yesterday. It definitely feels like a completely different animal than previous versions, like it shed 500lbs of weight. The sum of the changes, overall, are generally fantastic and for the better. In many areas, it looks absolutely beautiful. Other places, it needs some refining and cleaning up (ie, the messages app looks gorgeous. News Stand, not so much). As for the icons, like anything, you get used to them, and they become irrelevant. I can't imagine the work that went into putting this together, and I think now that the pieces are there it will improve at a rapid pace. 

 

After using the OS for a while my iPhone on iOS6 already feels still and stodgy. This one is just so much more light, alive, and animated.

 

But it's a drastic change, and I do feel a bid bad for Forstall when using it, as it's clear they've thrown so many thousands of hrs of design time for previous OSes in the trash. And to me- the fact that Apple was willing to do this at such a drastic level, regardless of your personal opinion of the new look, only tells me positive things about the company and their boldness moving forward. 

Your commentary paints a very hopeful picture. The look is growing on me and I feel sets the stage for a much more consistent experience. If 10 people have an opinion about look and feel, there will be quite likely, 10 quite different opinions. However, under the hood improvements no doubt vastly exceed aesthetic changes in benefit to users.

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #382 of 410

To the people who say that IOS-7 looks nothing like windows phone should check out this link.  

 

http://www.geek.com/apple/ios-7-looks-eerily-similar-to-2011-windows-phone-1558625/

 

Not trying to get bashed or anything i'm just trying to add some facts that should be considered before making a conclusion.

post #383 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2385amh View Post

To the people who say that IOS-7 looks nothing like windows phone should check out this link.  

 

http://www.geek.com/apple/ios-7-looks-eerily-similar-to-2011-windows-phone-1558625/

 

Not trying to get bashed or anything i'm just trying to add some facts that should be considered before making a conclusion.

Good god, are you touched?  One card layout for multitasking and wallpaper looking similar.  Keep digging kid

iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
Reply
iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
Reply
post #384 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkndrublic View Post

Good god, are you touched?  One card layout for multitasking and wallpaper looking similar.  Keep digging kid

Uh wow when your entire new UI is basically some color changes and icons designs I would think that showing two of the biggest new features being direct copies is kinda a big deal.  I guess if google has slide to unlock then it's ripping off apple, but if apple basically completely copies the entire lock screen, Dynamic/live wallpaper, and the UI for multitasking then it's no big deal right?

 

Please inform me on what the big changes were again?  Oh that's right it was almost entirely a face lift... I guess a large percentage of that being stolen is totally alright....kid

 

Edited for grammer


Edited by 2385amh - 6/12/13 at 1:51pm
post #385 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2385amh View Post

To the people who say that IOS-7 looks nothing like windows phone should check out this link.  

 

http://www.geek.com/apple/ios-7-looks-eerily-similar-to-2011-windows-phone-1558625/

 

Not trying to get bashed or anything i'm just trying to add some facts that should be considered before making a conclusion.

I appreciate the fact that some people feel this way, but it truly is a perceptional bias, you can see elements of IOS7 alot of different ways if you are so pre-disposed. I am a regular visitor to windows phone and BB forums and everyone is screaming that it copied their operating system.  Its all in the eye of the beholder.

post #386 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by tookieman2013 View Post

I appreciate the fact that some people feel this way, but it truly is a perceptional bias, you can see elements of IOS7 alot of different ways if you are so pre-disposed. I am a regular visitor to windows phone and BB forums and everyone is screaming that it copied their operating system.  Its all in the eye of the beholder.

I understand that to some degree but this is pretty much copy paste with tiny tweets.  I just think that the level of hypocrisy around here is pretty hilarious.  Oh google copied the spring back function that is a super tiny detail.  Alert the presses and the wave of apple defenders swarm to AI but if apple copies entire areas of the UI they get a pass.

post #387 of 410

I had hoped Apple would have gone with a very slick and subtle toned down, but still somewhat skeuomorphic design. Instead applications seemed to have gone slavishly flat with no button cues. So that is disappointment.

 

But then there are the icons, that are boring and amateurish. Another disappointment.

 

But finally there is the color scheme. W.T.F. ?  Was someone high watching kiddie cartoons when they decided to chose a new palette.

 

 

 

 

 

 

There are some nice functional improvements but the look makes me want to retch.
 

post #388 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

But finally there is the color scheme. W.T.F. ?  Was someone high watching kiddie cartoons when they decided to chose a new palette.

Why not a proper comparison instead of nonsense?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #389 of 410

I am using an image of the iOS 7, home screen straight from Apple, and you are editing yours in photoshop and you argue about the propriety of my comparison?

 

The truth is the default colors as shown, are gag inducing kiddie cartoon stuff.

 

BTW, here is a great link having fun with the new iOS 7 palette.

 

Jony Ive Redesigns Things.
 

post #390 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

What I want to know is, what is that DEVICE they are showing all the screen shots on???

http://live.appleinsider.com/Event/Live_from_Apples_WWDC_2013/78887965


The next iPhone update is due out when iOS 7 is released, around OCT-ish. Until then, there will not be any sneak peaks, which would kill Apple's great PR talents
Cheers !
Reply
Cheers !
Reply
post #391 of 410
[/quote]
… They gave it a standing ovation yesterday. Probably because they were more focused on the improved functionality than whether the app icons are ugly or not. 1rolleyes.gif[/quote]

Well, the Apple employees gave a standing ovation at least. Apple staff are known to sit in the audience to be the excited attendees, cheering & standing, etc.
Cheers !
Reply
Cheers !
Reply
post #392 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman619 View Post

… They gave it a standing ovation yesterday. Probably because they were more focused on the improved functionality than whether the app icons are ugly or not. 1rolleyes.gif[/quote]

Well, the Apple employees gave a standing ovation at least. Apple staff are known to sit in the audience to be the excited attendees, cheering & standing, etc.[/quote]

Actually, in many cases, they are invited to be in the audience to acknowledge their contributions.
post #393 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreambox View Post

Kindergarten design from stone age IMHO.

Absolutely pathetic trolling.
Edited by Tallest Skil - 6/13/13 at 12:00pm

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #394 of 410
When I first saw it I wasn't impressed but I had only seen pictures and had yet to see any video. Once I saw video of it in use I was very impressed. I really do like it a lot. However, the video of the beta user I watched also had the following link: http://youtu.be/DM8NSSzxNGM I realize that it won't be popular but you have to admit there are very striking similarities. Now, I've not used a Windows Phone 8 so I don't know if it functions smoothly but strictly from a design point, there is a lot borrowed. Look at the "incoming call" for example. There were also some screens that I liked on the Windows 8 side better (weather, calendar, music player and maps.) That said, I'm still excited for the changes coming in i0S 7, but the comparison video just put a little damper on that. I'm not a "paid troll," just expressing my opinion. You can draw your own. Has anyone here had any hands on experience with Windows Phone 8? Is it sluggish or does it flow pretty well? I hope not to get too much hate thrown my way but we'll see.

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
post #395 of 410

You missed my favorite Ive redesign. The Star Wars poster. Complete with all that beneficial transluncency:

 

post #396 of 410
I'm thoroughly impressed. It's definitely one of the best things to happen to the iPhone. They had me on Control Centre alone, but I can access it from the lock screen as well? Sold. This seems to be a new direction for iOS's development vision for the future, not just a new look. New management = new ideas. It looks amazing and I can't wait to try it.
post #397 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
I have no idea what your point is. 

Then why care to reply?

 

 

Quote:
Part of the reason for iPad's success is that it shares the general same interface and apps as iPhone, and familiarity is there. 

How on earth could you prove this?

The fact the Springboard was brought to the iPad without any revisiting was the capital source of any ugliness we could only find in it.

 

     

 

Any good iPad app sports the UX being different --- greatly! --- from what this very app displays in the iPhone version. No market shrinking because of that? Absolute mystery.

 

 

Quote:
Or should Apple throw this compatibility and cohesiveness in the trash, to entertain people like you?

If they did, I'd call quite decent reasons to start innovating.

Those `compatibility and cohesiveness' of yours are so thin, so elusive! And yet they do bring design issues.


Edited by ivan.rnn01 - 6/14/13 at 2:32pm

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #398 of 410

Alright, wrapped my head around this iOS 7 UI...

 

Those parallac tic moves and panoramas are there to prevent the bunch of purist and simplistic icons from fading in pastel backgrounds. Tons of malicious skeuomorphic animations were killed so that gallons of processor juice were freed and put to work. "Went shopping, darling! Saved so much money!"

Then again, that inclinometer, 't'd be nice to beta-test, wouldn't 't?

 

If the Calendar's icon flips once a day, why can not the Newsstand's one do so just when you add a content? "Burn in hell, skeuomorphism, burn in hell"

 

All in all it will grow on us, Apple's icons.

 

``Marketing people design the iOS UX.''

 

If this is not true, it's just very, very unfair to say, dear Sir Jonathan.

 

If it is indeed true, this is an undisputedly brilliant idea. While Apple's marketing function is the most capable one of all we can find them in there, untechy marketing people with no design skills see the interface differently and implementing their view is what we call innovation and that being superior to any pure technical amelioration. 

 

"Nothing in UX is so far final."

Can not happen. Very very improbable.

 

Third-parties.

That's gonna be a problem. Not only the new Photos' icon mimics a handful of existing icons and little devs have thus to abandon theirs and to teach us the users to quickly spot them anew, but they all will change. Quite sporadical.

By the way, dear Apple... Why is it that, when I try to figure out how to help devs in the situation like we face now, something like ``SVG + CSS'' pops up in my mind? Does it not in yours?

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #399 of 410
post #400 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2385amh View Post

[link]

No, try again.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple reveals overhauled iOS 7 with vibrant, more colorful design