or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple announces iTunes Radio for iOS 7, Mac, PC & Apple TV

Apple announces iTunes Radio for iOS 7, Mac, PC & Apple TV

post #1 of 45
Apple's much-anticipated "iRadio" was announced by the company at WWDC on Monday under the name "iTunes Radio," offering free streaming Internet radio to users across all major platforms.

Radio

iTunes Radio will be part of Apple's forthcoming iOS 7 mobile operating system, but it will also be accessible on Macs, Windows PCs, and even the Apple TV set-top box.

"iTunes Radio is an incredible way to listen to personalized radio stations which have been created just for you," said Eddy Cue, Apple?s senior vice president of Internet Software and Services. "It?s the music you love most and the music you?re going to love, and you can easily buy it from the iTunes Store with just one click."

iTunes Radio will be free for all users with advertising support. Those who subscribe to iTunes Match for $24.99 per year will be able to listen to iTunes Radio content ad-free.

Demonstrating iTunes Radio at Monday's Worldwide Developers Conference keynote, Cue showed how he could play individual songs or search an artist's name. In an onstage presentation, Cue started a radio station based on legendary rockers Led Zeppelin, with the ability to like or dislike individual tracks, while the application also includes quick links to buy songs from the iTunes Store.

984389438934-1.jpg

iTunes Radio will offer listeners access to thousands of new songs every week, and will also serve up exclusive music from new and popular artists first. iTunes Radio will also be home to special events including live streams direct from the iTunes Festival in London and other exclusive iTunes Sessions.

When it debuts this fall, iTunes Radio will offer a personalized experience based on listening history and past purchases from iTunes. Like with Pandora, users can automatically have a station built around a song or artist they enjoy.
post #2 of 45

No ads with iTunes Match = Win for me.

Will be using more streaming data in my car, and most everywhere.

post #3 of 45
Glad to see they're offering an ad-free option as part of iTunes Match...that suits me fine.
post #4 of 45
Curious how many skips it will allow for us those like me that have iTunes Match and those who don't.

I wanted Apple TV apps- one minor reason was so I could have Pandora without having to Airplay it. This at least fixes that. 1smile.gif

In summary though- this is Pandora. Period.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #5 of 45
So far don't like the new design
post #6 of 45
There was an old design for iRadio?
post #7 of 45
Right this is just Pandora. Being able to stream from apple tv is a great feature though. It is no Spotify replacement though.
rmusikantow
rmusikantow
post #8 of 45
Originally Posted by nonstopdesign View Post
There was an old design for iRadio?

Just ignore the new accounts today.

post #9 of 45

Lame.

not "Radio" 

exactly what I expected. 

post #10 of 45

I don't really listen much to any streaming radio, but it's good to know that I get the ads free version, since I already subscribe to iTunes Match, which is working pretty good. 

post #11 of 45
Well, I am impressed all around however, I suspect Wall Street will be sobbing as there was no new product and the stock will tank. Had there been a new iWatch for example Wall Street would have pointed to the low margin and the stock would also have tanked ... and in the immortal words of Kurt Vonnegut ... 'So it goes ...'

I wonder how much the new Mac Pro will start at ...?
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Long on AAPL so biased
post #12 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Well, I am impressed all around however, I suspect Wall Street will be sobbing as there was no new product and the stock will tank. Had there been a new iWatch for example Wall Street would have pointed to the low margin and the stock would also have tanked ... and in the immortal words of Kurt Vonnegut ... 'So it goes ...'

I wonder how much the new Mac Pro will start at ...?

If you have to ask you can't afford it. . .1wink.gif
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #13 of 45

Unless I missed it, couldn't see any mention of being able to pick exacts songs to play like on Xbox Music which is a bit disappointing. Nice there getting their own version, just still a bit behind the others.

post #14 of 45
Has anyone else noticed the iPhones in the iTunes Radio section of apple.com? There seems to be some iPhones with coloured bezels.
post #15 of 45

Just read on Apple's website that the service is only available in the States...so no good for me then, maybe it'll go world-wide later.

post #16 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

Just read on Apple's website that the service is only available in the States...so no good for me then, maybe it'll go world-wide later.

I guess that you didn't watch the keynote.

Yes, it's USA only for right now, which is not surprising, and yes, other countries will be added.

post #17 of 45
Originally Posted by ehych View Post
Has anyone else noticed the iPhones in the iTunes Radio section of apple.com? There seems to be some iPhones with coloured bezels.

Those are called the iPod touch… Did you miss last October or something?

post #18 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

In summary though- this is Pandora. Period.

Don't you mean Lala Music?

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #19 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

Most things like that do.

post #20 of 45
I think I'll love the new iTunes Radio, too! Will I ever need to buy an album again?
post #21 of 45
If only it included iTunes outside the U.S. (Japan). As it stands now, my wife will love it and I will never use it.
post #22 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't really listen much to any streaming radio, but it's good to know that I get the ads free version, since I already subscribe to iTunes Match, which is working pretty good. 

Is it working pretty good? I'm still holding out because of sync issues I read here. Solipsism made a few posts about it, ending up with a mess, needing to reconfig/sync the whole darn thing...whatever.

I currently have over 50,000 songs in my library, and will need to trash some of that. I also don't know what happens when you hit the 25,000 song limit.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
post #23 of 45
Quote:

Yes, it's USA only for right now, which is not surprising, and yes, other countries will be added.

Music rights are a nightmare outside the U.S. because each country has its own laws to deal with, and there are so many countries. Will take some time to roll out, and it's not Apple's fault.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #24 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Is it working pretty good? I'm still holding out because of sync issues I read here. Solipsism made a few posts about it, ending up with a mess, needing to reconfig/sync the whole darn thing...whatever.

I currently have over 50,000 songs in my library, and will need to trash some of that. I also don't know what happens when you hit the 25,000 song limit.

You can have an unlimited number of songs if purchased in iTunes.

post #25 of 45
Quote:

I love iTunes match.  It did really well.  I wish it would update all the Metadata automatically- but outside of that, it's 95% on the money.

post #26 of 45

So when I asked the serious question of "What's the difference between this and Pandora/Spotify?" last week and everyone gave me sarcastic answers. 

I ask again:

"What's the difference between this and Pandora/Spotify?"

Can someone please explain?

post #27 of 45
Ad-free with Match is great. Now, I just have to wait till they roll it out worldwide.

With all these streaming video and music sites and services, the ISPs seem to be the ones holding us back!
post #28 of 45
Quote:

I haven't had any sync issues, so I'm not sure what that's about.

I complained a while ago about how Apple had removed the option to either stream or download a song, but that was fixed a little while ago, so I'm happy now. I don't have anything close to 25k tracks, so I'm not sure about that.

I've completely erased my entire library from my main drives, and all songs now live on Apple's servers. I can easily download the entire library again, when and if I decide to. The convenience of having my whole music collection accessible on all Mac computers and iOS devices is easily worth 25 bucks a year, IMO. 

I have a 32 GB iPad, but I don't store any music at all on it. Why should I, when I have access to my entire library on Apple's servers?

post #29 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

If you have to ask you can't afford it. . .1wink.gif

Damn and there I was thinking I was finished with loans and mortgages!
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #30 of 45

Its not as  good as Spotify. Pretty much the same as Pandora accept it will stream to your Apple TV.

rmusikantow
rmusikantow
post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

You can have an unlimited number of songs if purchased in iTunes.

I knew that, but still: thanks. I download a lot of concerts I have attended (or wanted to, but can't fly across the globe like my favorite artists) so my library got large pretty fast. And these recordings aren't available in the iTMS, for obvious reasons.

edit: I see I'm responding to you, Pendergast. May I say I am totally agreeing with your comments here today? Not that I wasn't before, but you really shine in these WWDC threads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I love iTunes match.  It did really well.  I wish it would update all the Metadata automatically- but outside of that, it's 95% on the money.

Not updating all metadata? But it syncs iTunes things like play count and all that, right?
Quote:

I haven't had any sync issues, so I'm not sure what that's about.

I complained a while ago about how Apple had removed the option to either stream or download a song, but that was fixed a little while ago, so I'm happy now. I don't have anything close to 25k tracks, so I'm not sure about that.

I've completely erased my entire library from my main drives, and all songs now live on Apple's servers. I can easily download the entire library again, when and if I decide to. The convenience of having my whole music collection accessible on all Mac computers and iOS devices is easily worth 25 bucks a year, IMO. 

I have a 32 GB iPad, but I don't store any music at all on it. Why should I, when I have access to my entire library on Apple's servers?

Good point! Since my library is too large, and I really need to look up what happens after the 25,000th track being uploaded, I haven't gotten the Match subsrciption. After reading so many articles on Apple's datacenter expansion I'd thought they might be upping the 25k limit. Oh well, need to clean out my library anyhow.

I've totally cleaned out my first iPad and filled it with music. Easy to stream to the living stereo through AppleTV and nice for dinner guests to pick songs.
post #32 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

So when I asked the serious question of "What's the difference between this and Pandora/Spotify?" last week and everyone gave me sarcastic answers. 

I ask again:

"What's the difference between this and Pandora/Spotify?"

Can someone please explain?

In a nutshell Pandora was designed to work like Radio (without the annoying DJ's). You pick an artist or artists you like, and it gives you that type of music. It also does comedy (e.g. Eddie Murphy, etc.). Good for discovering new music based on things you like. There are a free ad supported version as well as a paid no ad version. 

Spotify started off letting people listen to the actual songs they like. Now it has branched out a bit and offers a Spotify like service as well (but you can't stream the music for as long (at least not for free)). There is free and paid versions as well. 

Spotify is also owned by the big labels. It pays the artists less then Spotify and iTunes does. iRadio is more like Pandora in that you can't pick the exact song you want to hear. You can pick something like Prince, and it will start off playing a Prince song. It then will pick similar music based on your input. Essentially it is like radio, but better. 

post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmusikantow View Post

Its not as  good as Spotify. Pretty much the same as Pandora accept it will stream to your Apple TV.

There are actually people who prefer Pandora. 

post #34 of 45
Did anyone else notice that the iRadio page on apple.com shows iPhone 5 looking phones which the metal band in anodized red and blue colors?
post #35 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Did anyone else notice that the iRadio page on apple.com shows iPhone 5 looking phones which the metal band in anodized red and blue colors?

Those are the iPod touch from last year.  

iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
post #36 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkndrublic View Post

Those are the iPod touch from last year.  

Ah, now i feel silly. Wish you could get an iPhone in that red.
post #37 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

There are actually people who prefer Pandora. 

Why? Spotify gives me access to just about every piece of music that exists and lets me download to my devices for offline use. For me as a musician with a wide range of musical tastes its like heaven.

rmusikantow
rmusikantow
post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Just ignore the new accounts today.

Practice what you preach.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #39 of 45
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
Practice what you preach.

I ignore most of the old accounts; that counts. 1wink.gif

post #40 of 45
Quote:

Between work and appointments and playing with the kid and enjoying a movie we're been wanting to see and a really nice dinner, somehow I forgot to sit through a couple hours of clap clap while the salesmen trot out their wares... pity. Oh well.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple announces iTunes Radio for iOS 7, Mac, PC & Apple TV