or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple bumps into some third party apps to extend iOS 7

Apple bumps into some third party apps to extend iOS 7 - Page 2

post #41 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

iPhone apps replaced actual compasses, digital recorders, and fancy digital cameras.

Now iOS 7 will replace those apps.

That's the price if progress, baby.

The difference is that Apple didn't encourage thousands of people to learn a special manufacturing process to make compasses, digital recorders and digital cameras for its store, charge them a fee (admittedly negligible compared to the cost of development) to distribute those products in its store, provide marketing materials to help promote its store, and THEN replace those products with its own.

Overall I'm still fairly positive about developing for the App Store, but I think some of the comments here are from people who haven't spent thousands of hours working with a partner that could turn around and become an overwhelming competitor at any moment. Maybe Apple needs to include some non-compete language among the hundreds of pages of terms and conditions that developers have to agree to.

Edited by arlomedia - 6/10/13 at 5:53pm
post #42 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley View Post

I thought it was hilarious when he mentioned FaceTime Audio, the camera instantly went onto the idiot wearing the Skype t-shirt blocking everyones view
When they mentioned FaceTime audio I figure the only 2 good uses are low speed networks and when people don't wont see each other(they could call it ear time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

Here's a few apps I may drop with iOS7:

1. Fantastical
2. Flashlight
3. LastPass

I don't think it's wrong that Apple is competing as long people can choose what app to use. To be honest though, I'll be switching to the integrated Apple apps.
Does anyone else notice that with shared photo streams that people can comment on, Apple has pretty much built a stealth social network?
Not to mention apples ways of taking almost no memory.
post #43 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofal View Post

How about 1Password?

1Password is cross-platform, and iCloud Keychain is not. Also, I put notes and images into 1Password, and Keychain doesn't handle those types of things very well.

post #44 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley View Post

I thought it was hilarious when he mentioned FaceTime Audio, the camera instantly went onto the idiot wearing the Skype t-shirt blocking everyones view

Well, I guess he got his 15 minutes of fame.  They got him and a few others in the front portion of the theater.......  Woz looked like he already knew what was going to be announced.

post #45 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Fixed that for you.

post #46 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

Every utility app developer had this issue even in the days of Windows 95. Microsoft famously included disk defragmentation utility while Norton utilities was one of the top selling applications for Windows.

I think the iCloud Keychain is going to kill a few of password vault apps.

Perhaps some password vaults will be killed off, but then these apps would not fit my needs anyway, since Apple's version is not useful to me. I've got over 400 logins and passwords each with different hints, and other properties I need to track. I use Yojimbo for this and other properties, but this product is dying for lack of success in incorporating iCloud. I don't see Apple competing with much more than "simple" utility apps, and the developer of such apps would already have recognized their vulnerability to Apple and other competitors.
post #47 of 58
"The new Weather widget also more directly encroaches upon the market for third party weather apps."

Well hardly. There has been a weather app included for free with iOS since day one but that hasn't stopped developers providing dozens of free and paid weather apps which people seem to have an endless desire to download. Despite the one included with iOS7, developers will keep making them and people will just carry on downloading.

Similarly, there seems to be an endless stream of photo filter applications that people can't get enough of which turn your crisp, clear quality photos from those new high-tech Apple camera lenses and sensors into something that looks as though it was taken on a damaged B&W Kodak Box Brownie!

All very strange.

iTunes Radio and iCloud Passwords though do present a real conflict with other streaming apps and 1Password which may well change the landscape for these kind of apps.
post #48 of 58
Photos also obsoletes PhotoCal.
post #49 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

That new control Center is so incredibly useful. Screen brightness, flashlight, it looks like you can even jump right into calculator.

As for them stepping on third parties, well that sucks. There's a conflict between the integrated ease of use and not stepping on the little guy that probably won't ever be fully resolved. Pandora's gotta be really mad right now, though, and I like Pandora, but iRadio looks great and makes a lot of sense with its integrated purchasing.

It's not exactly new.
Android has that since way back, but I'm quite happy to have it as well (at last)

post #50 of 58
Not only does Apple wipe out 3rd party developers with new iOS features, they also wipe out jailbroken features. The 3D moving icons against the background, notifications and weather on the lock screen, icon folder expanders, panoramic camera, multi-task enhancers and Android/BB skins (iOS 7 looks more like Android/Blackberry 10). Not that I care about the jailbreak community because most of their apps ruin battery life and phone performance anyway, but it must such for legit developers to make an app then have Apple cannibalize it on a software update.
post #51 of 58

This "FaceTime" must make "Skype" completely obsolete too.  1hmm.gif

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #52 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Unless I am mistaken, much more importantly Apple has killed most of the legitimate reasons to jailbreak (other than choice simply for the sake of choice). Apple has taken most of the best jailbreak apps and incorporated the functionality into iOS 7.

not quite... where is the firewall?

post #53 of 58
Does anyone know what security measures will be put in place with the new keychain? I do not want my passwords and financial information to be available to anyone who can crack a four digit numerical code on my iOS devices.
post #54 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

It's not stepping on toes... It's choice. That's a good thing, eh?

Not in Apple's world.  Those app developers should prepare themselves to be pulled from the app store for infringing on existing apps within iOS. 

post #55 of 58
Originally Posted by iaeen View Post
I do not want my passwords and financial information to be available to anyone who can crack a four digit numerical code on my iOS devices.

So use a more complex password.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #56 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So use a more complex password.

You missed my point. I want my iPhone to unlock with a four digit code, but I want my passwords to remain locked (as they currently do with 1Password). My question was: is there a secondary password for keychain, or does it unlock with the device?
post #57 of 58
Originally Posted by iaeen View Post
My question was: is there a secondary password for keychain, or does it unlock with the device?

Something tells me there won't be, at least in the first beta out right now…

post #58 of 58
I'd rather have it all built in and easily accessible.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple bumps into some third party apps to extend iOS 7