or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple throws out the rulebook for its unique next-gen Mac Pro

Apple throws out the rulebook for its unique next-gen Mac Pro - Page 33

post #1281 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Yeah, but PCIe outside the box will offer the speed of Thunderbolt without most of the cost. And it's out mid-2014.

Given that TB2 is just out and it can take a year to develop and market a product, will third-parties support it?

Will TB2 co-exist with PCI OTB?

Rik talks about a lot of different things in that article.  Some of it doesn't make sense.  He talks about M-PCIe and three "gears".  And the speeds he's talking about are 1.x Gbps, which isn't that fast.  I don't know what the final end result will be and neither does the author.  One thing about specs for stuff, is that it might actually end up for uses that aren't even related to computers that we use, it might be some other purpose that's more for something completely different.  Like some hand held medical device or something completely different than what we are thinking of.

For grins, I was on a couple of chip mfg web sites looking at DAC chips and some of them are specifically designed for the auto industry.  They must have had 20 or 30 different DAC chip designs and it was all over the place as to who would use which chip for which purposes.

The main point is this.  Sometimes these specs get thrown around in the pre-release stage and sometimes nothing comes of it, and sometimes it does. Sometimes it eventually winds up in uses that aren't what we originally thought.

Sometimes, I think these authors really don't know how to discuss technology and actually know where, how and all of the other features associated with it.  Yeah, sometimes on paper it looks great, but in reality, it may be a completely different scenario.

You also have cable lengths, can you daisy chain it, etc.  Some of what the author was talking about isn't going to happen until 2015 or even later.

My suggestion, when an author talks about a technology and a big point is over the price of a cable, that's a red flag for you to stop reading and find another article that discusses the technology in a more mature fashion.

post #1282 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

HSA initiative by AMD and 99% of the industry is taking OpenCL and putting an abstraction layer on top to make the APIs more `user friendly' and IDE ready.

This is key.  Well this and using OpenCL behind the scenes in the exiting APIs without much effort on the part of developers.  High parallelism is difficult as is coding for OpenCL in comparison traditional coding.

post #1283 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

This is key.  Well this and using OpenCL behind the scenes in the exiting APIs without much effort on the part of developers.  High parallelism is difficult as is coding for OpenCL in comparison traditional coding.

There are some misunderstandings about AMDs long term goals for the HSA initiative. Long term OpenCL will be one way of many to leverage GPU compute. If you look at the organizations slide you will see that they have plans to eliminate OpenCL for the Java implementation even if Java will be layered upon OpenCL for a couple of years. The ultimate goal is to have Java communicate with HSAIL directly taking OpenCL out of the loop, that might be 2016 though. Other languages may end up bypassing OpenCL also, HSAIL has the ability to support C++ for example.

This doesn't mean that OpenCL goes away, it just becomes one way to exercise the HSA facilities coming in this new hardware. HSAIL is in fact a bit like LLVM and the way it is used in the system the HSA Foundation is putting together. I don't want to say they copied Apple but the concept is extremely similar.
post #1284 of 1290

Has Relic posted lately? It's been 2 or 3 weeks since I remember seeing her last one.

post #1285 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

Has Relic posted lately? It's been 2 or 3 weeks since I remember seeing her last one.

Still around! Seen last Friday, but posts little.
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
post #1286 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Still around! Seen last Friday, but posts little.

I'm hoping she pulls through!
post #1287 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I'm hoping she pulls through!

no posts in the last few days :(

post #1288 of 1290

Last post was about game controllers:

post #6

Hope to see her post again soon...

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #1289 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

no posts in the last few days 1frown.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Last post was about game controllers:

post #6

Hope to see her post again soon...

This is a terribly sad situation. Way too young. Hopefully we do see a new post from her soon
post #1290 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

This is a terribly sad situation. Way too young. Hopefully we do see a new post from her soon

Fully agree. And her sense of humour! So much hope she can pull through. Will hit me hard if I see her obituary here.
- Roger Sterling
- Roger Sterling
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple throws out the rulebook for its unique next-gen Mac Pro