or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's OS X Mavericks hints at future Retina Thunderbolt Displays and iMacs

Apple's OS X Mavericks hints at future Retina Thunderbolt Displays and iMacs - Page 2

post #41 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

The 4K seems to make sense for HDTV devices connected via AppleTV and Airplay to have such a large wallpaper, or multiple displays [3 across] to have one contiguous wallpaper split across 3 views.

No it doesn't the current Apple TV couldn't drive a 4K display. Of course that doesn't mean an update isn't around the corner.
post #42 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

I don't think OSX is going away for a while. Next year we will probably get OS 10.10. I don't like the name either so I will probably just refer to it as OS 10.9 when I need to specify which OS I am running. I've actually been referring to mountain lion as 10.8 for a while now (although I am already missing the big cat names).

Since whenever I check an "About This Mac" what pops up is the number and not the cutesy name I'd rather all tecnical discussions use the number, over time which cat went with which number get's blurry. Okay maybe I need to turn in my nerd card with that admission, but there it is.

post #43 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

Wouldn't a 5,120 x 2,880 display be correctly termed a 5K display (since apparently we can't go by the vertical pixel count after 1080p)?

4K is double 1080p in both the horizontal and vertical dimensions = 3840 × 2160.
The image in the article is greater than 4K by quite a bit. That is similar to my 30" cinema which is greater than 1080p. Apple displays are always higher resolution than an equivalent size TV.
Now it is all about doubling with each upgrade so if you don't have the drivers or hardware capacity there is no interpolation necessary, it just halves everything to help maintain the color accuracy and sharpness. Next step for TV will be 8K.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #44 of 64
I was viewing the keynote when the Mac Pro was introduced, and they actually mentioned that you could hook up your third party 4K display, which implies Apple doesn't plan on introducing one 1frown.gif.

I'd definitely love to see a Retina 27" iMac, although I'm really tempted by the new Mac Pro. Depending on how expensive it is in combination with whatever 4K display makes the most sense ...

D
post #45 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dennis View Post

I was viewing the keynote when the Mac Pro was introduced, and they actually mentioned that you could hook up your third party 4K display, which implies Apple doesn't plan on introducing one 1frown.gif.

I'd definitely love to see a Retina 27" iMac, although I'm really tempted by the new Mac Pro. Depending on how expensive it is in combination with whatever 4K display makes the most sense ...

D

Of course they said that; they may have been doing a Technology Preview of the new Mac Pro, but they did not want to show their entire hand by revealing that they were working on a 4K display to go with the new Mac Pro.

I would bet Apple has a 4K display in the works, a Thunderbolt 2 Display with all the extras that the current Thunderbolt Display has, and it will be black to match the new Mac Pro…

Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
SuperDrive delete
post #46 of 64
Originally Posted by David Dennis View Post
…they actually mentioned that you could hook up your third party 4K display, which implies Apple doesn't plan on introducing one 1frown.gif.

No, they said it because they don't have one…

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #47 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, they said it because they don't have one…

I would go with don't have one YET…

But can you really see Apple making such a revolutionary flagship product without the appropriate 4K Apple-branded display to go with it…?!?

I'll have a fully-loaded Mac Pro, 2 of the 4K Thunderbolt 2 Displays & a 24HD touch Cintiq, thanks…!

SuperDrive delete
SuperDrive delete
post #48 of 64
Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post
But can you really see Apple making such a revolutionary flagship product without the appropriate 4K Apple-branded display to go with it…?!?

I certainly buy that.

Hmm… I wonder if Apple would do a 27" Retina Thunderbolt Display before they did a 21.5" or 11"… 

post #49 of 64

Hint:  if you have to explain a product name that relies on a reference to a relatively unknown locale...it sucks.

Most people haven't seen the movie "Mavericks".  Most people have no idea that it's a name for a surfing area.  For most people the name conjures the image of McCain/Palin, then laughter and not the good kind.

I feel like a fool saying the name in anything but a derogatory tone, and I'm not alone.  It's a not a big deal, but it's the sort of detail that Jobs or anyone with good marketing sense would have caught.

post #50 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard Dawg View Post

Hint:  if you have to explain a product name that relies on a reference to a relatively unknown locale...it sucks.

Most people haven't seen the movie "Mavericks".  Most people have no idea that it's a name for a surfing area.  For most people the name conjures the image of McCain/Palin, then laughter and not the good kind.

Here's what I think of:

I don't like how Mavericks is plural when it's used for a single product so it will be Maverick to me.

post #51 of 64
Hopefully with a model of 24-inch Apple Thunderbolt display with USB 3.
post #52 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Here's what I think of:

Heheheh!

Somebody has too much free time.

Whatever the name, it looks to be a decent update.  Particularly the multiple screens.

Edited by Bergermeister - 6/13/13 at 6:00am

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #53 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

Hopefully with a model of 24-inch Apple Thunderbolt display with USB 3.

Huh? Why USB3 on the display when it has TB? That'll increase the price while the computer already has USB3. This makes no sense.
post #54 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Huh? Why USB3 on the display when it has TB? That'll increase the price while the computer already has USB3. This makes no sense.

Because, just like the current Thunderbolt Display, it would also be a docking station for Apple laptops…

You hook all your stay-at-home peripherals )printers, scanners, external drives, whatever…) to the Thunderbolt Display and just plug in one TB cable to the laptop…

SuperDrive delete
SuperDrive delete
post #55 of 64
Quote:

Because, just like the current Thunderbolt Display, it would also be a docking station for Apple laptops…

You hook all your stay-at-home peripherals )printers, scanners, external drives, whatever…) to the Thunderbolt Display and just plug in one TB cable to the laptop…

Ah, ok, laptops. Totally forgot that setup. Gotcha; good point.
post #56 of 64
Is there any evidence to suggest that 4k displays are in for a sudden and substantial drop in price? If not, it's hard to see Apple being competitive in this category, since their monitors tend to be high-quality and expensive.

The cheapest I could find were over $4,000. Hard to see Apple coming in at less.

Oh, and can we lay the OS XI debate to rest? OS X will have a successor at some point, obviously, but it will not be called "OS XI"... There's simply no chance of that happening.
post #57 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jouster View Post

Is there any evidence to suggest that 4k displays are in for a sudden and substantial drop in price?

The recent surge in forced popularity of the format.
Quote:
...it will not be called "OS XI"... There's simply no chance of that happening.

Wanna bet? Particularly since every version of the Mac operating system has been numbered and 11 comes after 10? 1tongue.gif

Though, really, if it's what I expect it to be, it could very well NOT be called that. Simply because no computer in the Macintosh line will be able to run the software.

post #58 of 64
Quote:

Wanna bet? Particularly since every version of the Mac operating system has been numbered and 11 comes after 10? 1tongue.gif

Though, really, if it's what I expect it to be, it could very well NOT be called that. Simply because no computer in the Macintosh line will be able to run the software.

Elaborate, please…!

SuperDrive delete
SuperDrive delete
post #59 of 64
It would have to be a heck of a surge to get 4k monitors down to the price of current ones, which was what I meant by "substantial".

Of course, XI comes after X, but there's that whole Spinal Tap thing.... Whatever - sure, I'll bet you a six pack of beer :-) shipping not included ;-)

Wait, did you add the last part? I didn't see it at first. So, what do you expect it to be?
post #60 of 64
Quote:

Elaborate, please…!

Where're we headed with computers? Hardware and software for the last six years have been pointing us there, ever so slowly. Touchscreens. Slowly because people actually own computers now, and a big jump, like the past two, can't just happen all at once; John Q. Public would just reject it outright, even if it's infinitely better. You have to make them yearn for it. Make them think that they were the ones with the idea in the first place. Make them believe that they wanted it all along and that you're fulfilling their wishes, instead of the other way around. Then when you finally do it, they welcome it with open arms (and even an "about time").

Apple has had two product families so far. First, the Apple line. That was keyboard+screen. Then the Macintosh line, that was mouse+keyboard. When it goes fully multitouch on the desktop, I can't see them keeping the Macintosh name around, which would lend itself to a rename and start over of the OS that runs on said computers.

In its introduction, Steve said that OS X sets their software roadmap up for the next 20 years. Before this decade is out, that 20 years will be up. And at the same time, we'll have reached a point where touchscreen computers have so permeated our lives that we'll be demanding the UX in ever larger formats. I see a 13" and/or 15" iPad before long. And then eventually the 27" iMac will become the 27"... ???

You can see it in the design of everything they make, hardware and software. The iMac is a sliver now. Compare it to the last generation! The iMac is a sliver because... that sliver has an angle. That angle is comfortable. That angle is comfortable... for typing. So when that glorious day finally comes, the ??? will just slide right on down to your desktop and you'll reach out and type on it as comfortably as you do a physical keyboard today. Switch it back on up if you want to watch media or something. No neck strain, no arm strain. Multitouch, in a glorious 27' package. And then 42" for those of us who want our entire desktops to be amazing.

Been saying this for, what, I guess six years now: there will be multitouch desktops from Apple, and they'll redefine what we call a "computer" as much as the Macintosh 128k and the Apple ][ before them.

As for the product family's name, well, it's obviously going to be named after an apple cultivar. Why not...

Jonathan?

Now, he's crazy humble, so that might not fly with him, but it fits perfectly. A tribute to the man who will have by that time defined nearly three generations of product design across the entire technology industry, be it in the form of the original or the thefts.

I want a 42" Jony for my desk. Most will want a 27" Jony. And on the go, people will have their 10", 13", and 15" Jonys. Or what have you.

post #61 of 64
Quote:

Where're we headed with computers?.......Snip....I want a 42" Jony for my desk. Most will want a 27" Jony. And on the go, people will have their 10", 13", and 15" Jonys. Or what have you.

Well, this sort of thing pretty much defines my ideal Mac -- or whatever they would call it. So I hope you're right about that part.

Giving up the name would be a ballsy move, though. So would refusing to go with the iName convention.

But it's Apple....they've never been afraid of killing even the most successful product lines.
post #62 of 64
Quote:

Where're we headed with computers? Hardware and software for the last six years have been pointing us there, ever so slowly. Touchscreens. Slowly because people actually own computers now, and a big jump, like the past two, can't just happen all at once; John Q. Public would just reject it outright, even if it's infinitely better. You have to make them yearn for it. Make them think that they were the ones with the idea in the first place. Make them believe that they wanted it all along and that you're fulfilling their wishes, instead of the other way around. Then when you finally do it, they welcome it with open arms (and even an "about time").

Apple has had two product families so far. First, the Apple line. That was keyboard+screen. Then the Macintosh line, that was mouse+keyboard. When it goes fully multitouch on the desktop, I can't see them keeping the Macintosh name around, which would lend itself to a rename and start over of the OS that runs on said computers.

In its introduction, Steve said that OS X sets their software roadmap up for the next 20 years. Before this decade is out, that 20 years will be up. And at the same time, we'll have reached a point where touchscreen computers have so permeated our lives that we'll be demanding the UX in ever larger formats. I see a 13" and/or 15" iPad before long. And then eventually the 27" iMac will become the 27"... ???

You can see it in the design of everything they make, hardware and software. The iMac is a sliver now. Compare it to the last generation! The iMac is a sliver because... that sliver has an angle. That angle is comfortable. That angle is comfortable... for typing. So when that glorious day finally comes, the ??? will just slide right on down to your desktop and you'll reach out and type on it as comfortably as you do a physical keyboard today. Switch it back on up if you want to watch media or something. No neck strain, no arm strain. Multitouch, in a glorious 27' package. And then 42" for those of us who want our entire desktops to be amazing.

Been saying this for, what, I guess six years now: there will be multitouch desktops from Apple, and they'll redefine what we call a "computer" as much as the Macintosh 128k and the Apple ][ before them.

As for the product family's name, well, it's obviously going to be named after an apple cultivar. Why not...

Jonathan?

Now, he's crazy humble, so that might not fly with him, but it fits perfectly. A tribute to the man who will have by that time defined nearly three generations of product design across the entire technology industry, be it in the form of the original or the thefts.

I want a 42" Jony for my desk. Most will want a 27" Jony. And on the go, people will have their 10", 13", and 15" Jonys. Or what have you.

Terrific post, Tal'.  Top marks for that one.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

post #63 of 64

Heard of the Apple award winner, 'Procreate' painting app' for iPad?

It's awesome.  I had it (pre-award status) for some time now.  It's blisteringly fast.  It shows the old guard of Painter and Photoshop how it is done.  Simple.  Elegant.  Low footprint.  Get out of your face interface.  But scorches them for speed.  ie a new era of new thinking as we move to a new era of new 'desktops' (and maybe the iPad will be the ultimate desktop one day?  The 'Arms' race continues at a incredible curve of performance...with Rogue 6 to be included next!  Oh for an iPad Pro...)

Put that baby on a 15 inch retina iPad?  I'm there.

Put it on a Touchscreen 'Jony?'  x27 inches retina?  I'm there.

*nods.

Nerdgasm dream...  *deep in thought.

Lemon Bon Bon.

post #64 of 64

Interesting idea to use Johnathon Ive's names as he comes up to ceremonial amount of time of designing Apple products.

I doubt they'll use his name.  But it's a good idea.

Guess they'll stick with the iPad name...and iOS.

I expect by the time you mention, Os 'Ten' and the Mac will be to the iPad and iOS as the Apple was to the Mac?

For now, they have separate forks where each is optimised for their product.

To be honest.  I consider the iPad a 'Mac.'  The iPod and iPhone Macs as well.  They're the true inheritors of the title, 'For the rest of us.'

It's no accident iOS got the biggest cheer at WWDC.  It's the most intimate 'Mac' yet.

When you've sold 600 million of them?

You can kind of see how it's headed where you're sayin'.

And with an unprecedented amount of 'Mac' apps on them too. ;)

Who'd have thought that when Steve originally unveiled the iPod to a bemused public...

Lemon Bon Bon.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's OS X Mavericks hints at future Retina Thunderbolt Displays and iMacs