or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iOS 7 beta: Developers, Sen. McCain applaud App Store auto-updates

iOS 7 beta: Developers, Sen. McCain applaud App Store auto-updates - Page 2

post #41 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

person that is not complete moron would know the feature had to do everything with infrastructure and bandwidth  at Apple sites. Same person would also know this is not really a heartbreaking feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

i'm a "not complete moron" and i don't know that. how do you "know" that? or are you assuming? do you have a source that corroborates your claim?

Quote:

where is source of your original claim? just a wild guess that Apple is just a bunch of outdated idiots? well, guess again...1smile.gif

wtf are you even talking about? are you high, drunk, or are you just a complete moron?

i did not make any original claim. do you even read the comments you're responding to?

you said "person that is not complete moron would know the feature had to do everything with infrastructure and bandwidth at Apple sites."

i'm asking you how you know, whether you have a source, or if you're just assuming.

just say no to bath salts.
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

post #42 of 59

I agree.  It should have been called the McCain Feature.  

post #43 of 59

Those smartypants of developers used to screw up versions with even numbers and to make odd-numbered ones finally work.

Now then, how exactly should I know if it is auto-update that's just ruined everything or their fecking server stopped to respond? 

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #44 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

That's great, and should be the default, but before iOS 7 ships, let us turn it off, and/or revert to older app versions.

Too many games that I pad for went free later and either added ads, or else make you pay again by IAP to unlock to same content I bought with the app to begin with. I understand the dilemmas faced by developers--it's not always easy to pay the rent--but that's not cool! So I read the update reviews and skip those updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

It can be turned off already in the first beta, and as long as you keep a backup of the older version on your computer, you can always revert to an older version of the app.

All previous versions go to the Trash when you update. You can always recuperate them and move them to another folder before emptying the Trash. Look for files ending with .ipa.

post #45 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This BETTER darn well be an option and not forced. What stops developers from just removing features willy nilly now? What stops them from injecting monitoring code now?

Agreed.  It would be even better if you could individually select which Apps don't auto update.

post #46 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristoforo Punk View Post

iOS 7 is just a copy of windows and android interfaces..Tim Cook has destroyed the Job's Legacy...Now the iphone does not have a personality is just another smartphone. Thank you Tim cook! hope microsoft is paying you well to Screw Apple over...

... said nobody ever.

post #47 of 59
It will probably be good policy to allow the option for auto-updating to be turned off or set individually for each app like it already is for Android. After all with iOS7 they finally have a way to adjust settings from a 'pull-up' window at the 'homescreen' level. Which brings up the point, is that window available while in other apps or do you have to return to home each time?
post #48 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It could easily have been given the option to only auto-update when on wifi.

Yep, just like they already do on Android.

post #49 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xennex View Post

After all with iOS7 they finally have a way to adjust settings from a 'pull-up' window at the 'homescreen' level. Which brings up the point, is that window available while in other apps or do you have to return to home each time?

They showed it being used in apps in the keynote.
post #50 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

wtf are you even talking about? are you high, drunk, or are you just a complete moron?

i did not make any original claim. do you even read the comments you're responding to?

you said "person that is not complete moron would know the feature had to do everything with infrastructure and bandwidth at Apple sites."

i'm asking you how you know, whether you have a source, or if you're just assuming.

just say no to bath salts.

As you could see if you'd read my post, it was an reply to someone other moron's post, which I have mistaken you with, although I wonder....

DOn't project your problems on other people and start your brains if you posses any:

- iOS internet usage percentage against others

- number of apps being downloaded

- enormous Apple server sites build-up in last months you could read about

- money payed to developers (means a lot of active apps being updated constantly)

Now, if you are able to chew all this the wait when it comes from your ass to brain. Then perhaps start think about substances you'd want to consume...

post #51 of 59
Quote:

This BETTER darn well be an option and not forced. What stops developers from just removing features willy nilly now? What stops them from injecting monitoring code now?

I hope it will be an option. Counter on appstore icon reminds me to check if there is something to delete I don't use any more....

post #52 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

They showed it being used in apps in the keynote.

That's good.. At least they're keeping up. :) Still would like to have a universal 'back' button. Maybe make a quick double tap on the home button? And move the 'multitask' to a triple tap? (At this rate that home button may get worn out quickly) *lol* 

post #53 of 59
Still would like to have a universal 'back' button. Maybe make a quick double tap on the home button? 

Single press too hard?

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
post #54 of 59
Quote:

That's good.. At least they're keeping up. 1smile.gif Still would like to have a universal 'back' button. Maybe make a quick double tap on the home button? And move the 'multitask' to a triple tap? (At this rate that home button may get worn out quickly) *lol* 

Why a button? Back will now be a swipe from the left edge of the screen. Looks super easy and intuitive as is.
post #55 of 59

iOS 6 already has the option to restrict certain automatic data when not on wifi.

I will most likely disable auto-updates, if only to not miss any pertinent info in the release notes. For instance, when a game adds new levels, or when OpenTable finally gets supported locations in my area.

RichL View Post

Next up: delta updates? Please? 

Some apps do. I don't have actual specifics, just anecdotal evidence of >300MB games downloading their updates in ten seconds.

Tallest Skil View Post

Bad press? People are paying attention to these things.

Just as a single new Mac trojan is a big deal, a nefarious iOS app usually gets plenty of press. It's not like the Windows and Android software world, where simple wallpaper apps sending your contact list to China is tolerated as the price of a more "open" marketplace.

[this account has been abandoned]

[this account has been abandoned]

post #56 of 59
Quote:

Single press too hard?

No, but I thought that was reserved for returning to the 'home' screen.. I suppose if they added a setting you could change then to set 'home' to some other sequence of button presses your suggestion would work.

post #57 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

Why a button? Back will now be a swipe from the left edge of the screen. Looks super easy and intuitive as is.

I was not aware that worked between Apps.. (e.g. pressing a URL in email will take you to the browser, will a swipe bring you back to the email?)

post #58 of 59
Quote:

As you could see if you'd read my post, it was an reply to someone other moron's post, which I have mistaken you with, although I wonder....

DOn't project your problems on other people and start your brains if you posses any:

- iOS internet usage percentage against others

- number of apps being downloaded

- enormous Apple server sites build-up in last months you could read about

- money payed to developers (means a lot of active apps being updated constantly)

Now, if you are able to chew all this the wait when it comes from your ass to brain. Then perhaps start think about substances you'd want to consume...

"- money payed to developers (means a lot of active apps being updated constantly)" - Do you mean to say that because developers make more money there are more updates or are you saying developers get paid each time an app update is downloaded? If the latter that's a pretty good reason to make iOS apps and just make small updates frequently. :P

post #59 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

That's great, and should be the default, but before iOS 7 ships, let us turn it off, and/or revert to older app versions.

Too many games that I pad for went free later and either added ads, or else make you pay again by IAP to unlock to same content I bought with the app to begin with. I understand the dilemmas faced by developers--it's not always easy to pay the rent--but that's not cool! So I read the update reviews and skip those updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

In all fairness this is something that only techie types care about at all.  It's also something that requires a significant amount of "managing" to the point that even for that small techie group, it's mostly a losing game.  

Just relax and let the people that write the apps control their own apps.  Then vote with your dollars.  

I prefer to read the notes attached to the upgrades before upgrading. That way I learn about and test new functionality as it is made available. Mostly I upgrade anyway, but sometimes there are issues that one picks up via the blogosphere and Internets, even from the developers of the app(s) themselves, warning about a problems with a particular version and advising to hold back till a new upgrade becomes available, saving both time and hassle.

Also I'd like to know, there are several apps that can only be downloaded after agreeing to an age limit or parental consent to content type disclaimer. I wonder what will happen to this kind of upgrade, and what legal liabilities this may open up in the name of convenience if this step is skipped.

I actually enjoy looking out for upgrades on all my iOS devices, backing them up to the Cloud and to local storage in the first week of every month and after every major iOS upgrade. This I call responsible IT administration. I guess that makes me a techie, but I love it.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iOS 7 beta: Developers, Sen. McCain applaud App Store auto-updates