or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iOS 7 beta: FaceTime Audio brings built-in VoIP, free long distance calling to iPhone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iOS 7 beta: FaceTime Audio brings built-in VoIP, free long distance calling to iPhone - Page 2

post #41 of 83
Ummm.... are AppleInsider ignoring the NDA they signed when they downloaded the beta?
post #42 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Instantly banned on AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile,

Or not since there are laws in the US that bar cell companies from blocking such things. That's why Skype was always on cell data.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #43 of 83
Apple, please bring back multiple video access from iChat to FaceTime. Why in the world did you cripple the service. And also bring back the ability to show desktop and keynotes with the multiple video feeds.
post #44 of 83

What a terrible name.  FaceTime Audio, i.e. without the face?

 

Should've called it TalkTime.  Or TongueTime 1devil.gif

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #45 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

What a terrible name.  FaceTime Audio, i.e. without the face?

 

Should've called it TalkTime.  Or TongueTime 1devil.gif

Why do people get hung up on names?  Don't forget that you can actually call it what ever you want.

 

Not really liking the whole white theme with IOS7.  I hid all of the obnoxious (most all of them are obnoxious) icons in a folder, but the white is just terrible.

 

There's no setting I can find that will get rid of the stock white settings.  Even a slight grey would be better.

 

I'm certainly not going to put iOS7 with this color scheme on my iPad.  That's just too much white on too much real-estate.

 

Apple does understand that we're alive right?  I like to see color.  I like to see trees because they're green.  The ocean because it's blue.  I certainly don't want to look at a lot of white (absence of color) screens.  I want to see some nice vibrant colors while I'm here and alive.

 

There's just sooo much white!  Now, when I look a my phone I think hospital, text books, blinding sun, absence of character.  It's pure, and clean.  I get that.  But when I pick up and look at something I need to use (lets face it land lines are dead), I want to see life.

 

The horrible icons with the unwieldy colors are not a substitute.  They are so bad I hid them in a folder right quick.

 

This will be the lamenting year of missing colors for me I suppose.  If they do that to the iPad I'm going to riot! 


Edited by Vadania - 6/12/13 at 4:21am
post #46 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

Why do people get hung up on names?  Don't forget that you can actually call it what ever you want.

 

I suppose I can, but if I ask a friend to Gazoomple me then they might have difficulty understanding what I mean when it's labelled as FaceTime Audio in Mac and iOS.

 

So no, I can't practically call it anything I want.  Ridiculous claim.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #47 of 83
" issues could be on the other end of the phone "

probably using a Galaxy Note, so the other end of the phone is so far from your mouth, they cant hear you..... ;-)

i Jest !
post #48 of 83
So the thing that makes iMessage so great is that it is entirely invisible and requires no user input. If both ends have an iDevice and a data connection, iMessage just happens.

That's how this should work as well. An option to turn this off is required, of course, but under normal circumstances it should "just happen".
post #49 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

 

I suppose I can, but if I ask a friend to Gazoomple me then they might have difficulty understanding what I mean when it's labelled as FaceTime Audio in Mac and iOS.

 

So no, I can't practically call it anything I want.  Ridiculous claim.

So surely you couldn't just say "call me on the ipad later", or what's become popular in the N.E. as "I'll slap ya later".

 

Does your circle of friends have to look up Wikipedia before they tell you what they're doing?  Do they really say "I'm going to face time audio you later tonight before I go to bed at around 11:00ish?"

 

You're a hoot!

post #50 of 83
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post
I don't have to prove you wrong about the past as others have shamed you. Props to Gw!

 

Uh, how? He was wrong. Please just shut up now. You don't have an argument and are refusing to pay attention to where you're wrong.


The topic of the AI article had NOTHING to do with video so it had nothing to do with the past of any of the many carriers you called out.

 

Funny; you'd think you'd be smart enough to notice when a parallel is drawn.


In the past 2G & 3G had no comparison between US providers.

 

And yet I never spoke of 2G.


Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
Facetime did and does work over 3G and LTE for Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile, and most AT&T subscribers. 

 

No, please, keep lying. My link proves you wrong; keep at it. Don't really know what it accomplishes for you, but…


Clearly you thought that Sprint, Verizon, and other carriers had been blocking FaceTime like AT&T had in the past… 

 

No, I didn't. There's no 'clearly'. 


Repeat after me, Facetime was never blocked over 3G for Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile, or even Virgin Mobile here in the U.S.. Clear enough now? 

 

And this somehow stops them from doing it with audio in the future? 


Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
That's why Skype was always on cell data.

 

And those same laws are why FaceTime wasn't. So…


Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post
Apple, please bring back multiple video access from iChat to FaceTime. Why in the world did you cripple the service. And also bring back the ability to show desktop and keynotes with the multiple video feeds.

 

Could've sworn they haven't taken that away. It's still there for AIM contacts, right?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #51 of 83

Have no idea what the point you're trying to make is.

 

 

FaceTime Audio is a silly name, that's it.

 

With a bit more foresight and sensibility Apple could have had a family of co-branded messaging apps.

 

TextTime - for messaging, instead of iMessage/Messages

TalkTime - for voicecalls, instead of FaceTime Audio

FaceTime - for video calls

 

Alternatively, taking the iMesasage lead

 

iMessage

iTalk

iFace (hmm, maybe not)

 

 

That's building positive brand recognition.  It's good business sense, and makes sense and helps users out with understanding stuff.  FaceTime Audio is rubbish, there's no f-ing face involved!

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #52 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Apple, please bring back multiple video access from iChat to FaceTime. Why in the world did you cripple the service. And also bring back the ability to show desktop and keynotes with the multiple video feeds.

Hey, you are off topic from the pissing contests of this thread and asking a tech related question. You'll be banned! /s

It is a good question why not 'conference' calls ... Dare I say ala google hang outs? From what I can tell it is fairly popular. Perhaps in IOS 8 and OSXI 'Sierra'(guess)
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
post #53 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Have no idea what the point you're trying to make is.

 

 

FaceTime Audio is a silly name, that's it.

 

With a bit more foresight and sensibility Apple could have had a family of co-branded messaging apps.

 

TextTime - for messaging, instead of iMessage/Messages

TalkTime - for voicecalls, instead of FaceTime Audio

FaceTime - for video calls

 

Alternatively, taking the iMesasage lead

 

iMessage

iTalk

iFace (hmm, maybe not)

 

 

That's building positive brand recognition.  It's good business sense, and makes sense and helps users out with understanding stuff.  FaceTime Audio is rubbish, there's no f-ing face involved!

I agree that with your thought that a name does imply brand recognition.  However, socially it's forgotten as soon as it's recognized.

 

Perhaps in London people may say "I'll send you an iMessage"  However with four years of social psychology behind me, it usually gets broken down to the most immediate and recognizable thought.  In my area it's "I'll text ya".  Whether it's grammatically correct or not.

 

So the naming convention doesn't work in your respect.  ...at least socially.  Perhaps in a perfect world.

post #54 of 83

This does have the confusing add-on branding of Microsoft products and US television content ratings (TV Y, TV Y7, TV Y7 FV (fantasy violence), etc).

If we are renaming, my vote is for EarTime or VoiceTime. Since the built-in Camera app now has filters, let's give EarTime vocal filters! Darth Vader or T-Pain?

 

Tallest Skil View Post

Do I really need a link to where it says FaceTime wasn't allowed over 3G? There's such a thing as common knowledge.

Never assume.

 

Never assume that any random internet stranger has the same knowledge base as you, and never assume it's because they are just plain stupid. People have different areas of expertise. Posting supporting links solves both those issues, and is much less dismissive than your typical "Shut up and go away" comments.

The point of debate is not to win, but for both parties to walk away with more knowledge than before.

 

lightknight View Post
 Facetime still freezes after 5 minutes to my Mom's iMac from whatever else (Snow Leopard contre iPad/iPad Mini/iPhone 4/iPhone 5/Mountain Lion/Lion). Thread at Apple Forums is long like (insert supermodel's name)'s legs. Apple no does anything.

Have you checked the router or modem? We can blast Apple for making Facetime use TCP instead of UDP, but like getting studio headphones and hearing how bad compressed audio sounds, you're only witnessing network equipment that can't sustain an uninterrupted data stream.

 

FreeRange View Post
Apple, please bring back multiple video access from iChat to FaceTime. Why in the world did you cripple the service. And also bring back the ability to show desktop and keynotes with the multiple video feeds.

I'm guessing few people used the multiple video access. In contrast to Google, Apple tends to eschew cool-looking technology and focus on what people are actually using.

Viewing desktops and keynotes was probably dropped to make Facetime work on mobile. This is only my speculation, of course; it doesn't make the loss any less inconvenient. I had to go back to TeamViewer for remote screen sharing and tech support.

[this account has been abandoned]

Reply

[this account has been abandoned]

Reply
post #55 of 83
Paul Miller will lose his mind.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #56 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

I agree that with your thought that a name does imply brand recognition.  However, socially it's forgotten as soon as it's recognized.

 

Perhaps in London people may say "I'll send you an iMessage"  However with four years of social psychology behind me, it usually gets broken down to the most immediate and recognizable thought.  In my area it's "I'll text ya".  Whether it's grammatically correct or not.

 

So the naming convention doesn't work in your respect.  ...at least socially.  Perhaps in a perfect world.

Ok, fair enough, but that's no reason to ignore naming altogether.  People might not use the names of Apple protocols in casual conversation, but I'd guess that anyone who uses FaceTime does know what it is and what it's called.  Something doesn't have to be spoken aloud regularly to have an impact; it's called mind-share, not speech-share, and good naming and branding recognition plays a part there.

 

P.S. I'm not that keen on FaceTime as a name either, has the taint of a corporate-cool buzzword.  Leave my face out of it.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #57 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by prokip View Post

About friggin time.

Was it so hard ?

I've been mentioning this ever since Google Voice released an app on the App Store.  The only thing this Facetime Audio is missing is the ability to call any phone number.  Then it would be exactly like Skype or Google Voice.  My guess is Apple is slowly releasing more and more features like this (that tread in the Telephony features that Carriers rake us over the coals with huge price-tag plans) so that the Carriers don't just pull the plug on Apple completely.  The only thing iMessage is missing the that ability to message non-iOS phone number and other IM services, much like the OS X app does.  I'm kind of shocked that the Carriers haven't baulked at services like Google Voice and Skype since they clearly tread in muddy waters with them.  No news of ATT throttling Android phone because of Google voice or Skype on Windows Phones.  Interesting times for Cellphone communications.  I can't wait for the carriers to become "DUMB PIPES".


Edited by antkm1 - 6/12/13 at 8:54am
post #58 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsos View Post

Posting supporting links solves both those issues, and is much less dismissive than your typical "Shut up and go away" comments.

You realize I only do that to trolls, right?

I forget what actual people know because I assume they remember it, because I can, because I can't anything else.

Complete aside: Huddler doesn't support Safari 7 yet, so I guess I'm stuck with BBCode until they get themselves a copy of Mavericks... Hoo boy.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #59 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

Isn't this what Skype offers for years
Ah no, Skype isn't limited to 1 platform

 

I wonder how bad the echo is at Ft. Meade if someone makes a Skype call in front of their XBox One Kinect...

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
post #60 of 83

That's treating the symptom. The cause is ignorance, treated with supporting information. Do that and no one sinks to their level.

[this account has been abandoned]

Reply

[this account has been abandoned]

Reply
post #61 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I think it is pretty clear that you boxed yourself in a corner and tried your best to pretend that you meant only AT&T when in fact you thought all carriers had limited it.

No, not really. But you're known for just making crap up about what people say, so I'm not surprised nor offended that you want to pretend this. Third time we've been over this: my posts were future tense for the plural and past tense for the singular. My postulation was that the carriers would prevent FaceTime Audio calls over their networks. My reason for believing this was their earlier prevention of FaceTime calls over their networks. That they now allow FaceTime calls over their networks shows only the progression taken from the original status of FaceTime and is not in itself able to be used as proof for FaceTime Audio over networks at launch, particularly since they're different beasts. FaceTime Audio directly competes with a service provided by the telecoms, and it is part of the shipping software of the manufacturer's device. Skype Video over networks was always allowed, regardless of OS or telecom, but FaceTime was not. Therefore we cannot say that FaceTime Audio will be immediately allowed.
Quote:
Apple require wifi in iOS 5.

Which apparently proves that not only did AT&T restrict FaceTime to Wi-Fi on ALL of its plans, but Verizon did so, too. Confirmation. So you were wrong about both of those things.
Quote:
...which means your entire argument was wrong.

Not if you'd actually read my entire argument. But, as previously stated, you're known for not doing that.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #62 of 83

FaceTime Audio? Yawn.

 

Can't believe that there's much mudslinging over such a fairly trivial feature/update.

post #63 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

FaceTime Audio? Yawn.

Can't believe that there's much mudslinging over such a fairly trivial feature/update.

Native VoIP calls to any Mac or iDevice is trivial?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #64 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Try these instead

Yeah, I couldn't give a flying frick about what 2012 has to say, but again, if you'd read anything I'd written you'd know that.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #65 of 83

I wouldn't bother gwmac, everyone understands your point and that you're right; even TS knows he's wrong, this is just what he does.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


You realize I only do that to troll, right?

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #66 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

I wouldn't bother gwmac, everyone understands your point and that you're right; even TS knows he's wrong, this is just what he does.

Edit my posts again and you'll have action taken against you.

Also, open your eyes.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #67 of 83

Facetime can already do audio only calls. You just press the home button after you initiate the ringing process. On the Mac, you minimize the app to the dock. I use this method routinely with a couple friends of mine. Yes, it's an extra button to press, but many people are acting like you have to have the camera on during FT calls which isn't true.

 

Just sayin...

 

Greg
 

post #68 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

A little masking tape gets audio FaceTime working today.

LOL
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #69 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Edit my posts again and you'll have action taken against you.
 

 

I didn't edit your post.  Only a mod can do that.

 

I creatively quoted you, for fun.  If that's an actionable offense then moderation here is a joke. Of course it's not, and you're just blowing hot air as usual.

 

Open your eyes.  And shut up!

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #70 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

I creatively quoted you, for fun.  If that's an actionable offense then moderation here is a joke.

Guess you better leave, huh?
Quote:
Open your eyes.

I feel like a kindergarten teacher: please go back and read the entire argument again, this time without pretending you know anything.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #71 of 83
@gazoobee I'm pretty sure I read that iOS 7 beta for iPad has not been made available yet. That seems like a more probable explanation than the idea that everyone has simply overlooked it so far.
post #72 of 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Guess you better leave, huh?

 

If it's all the same to you i'll wait for someone who has a reputation for telling the truth to tell me if that's the moderation policy.  I don't believe a damn thing you say, troll.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 please go back and read the entire argument again, this time without pretending you know anything.
 

 

Alrighty, it's quite fun to see you blather about and revise your argument to make it fit the facts as you learn them.

 

EDIT:  Done.  You're still wrong, and an egotistical tit.


Edited by Crowley - 6/13/13 at 11:17am

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #73 of 83
Nothing new about this! Just connect a FaceTime call today and press the home button -- audio VoIP and video is halted -- I don't see how this is any different, just starts out as audio. Yawn, should have been there since day one...

At least on iOS -- not sure if there's a way to do the same on Macs today...
post #74 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

You're still wrong...

Ah, that's great. Wrong about a future product opinion. lol.gif

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #75 of 83

And there you go rewriting your arguments again.  You drew a direct link in saying that all networks would shut down FaceTime Audio over cellular based on past form with FaceTime over cellular.  But the truth is that most of those networks never blocked FaceTime over cellular, so your inference was, and is, flawed.

 

Heaven knows what the future may bring, but with regards the past you, my friend, are wrong.  Which is fine, everyone's wrong from time to time, but your pathetic troll assertions that you aren't wrong are ridiculous.

 

Anyway time out.  You being wrong isn't interesting.  Shut up!

 

 

 

FaceTime Audio, if integrated directly into the Phone app, as iMessages are with SMS messages, could be a massive game changer.

 

I wonder if it'll come to the iPod Touch too?

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #76 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

[post]

'Kay. Keep thinking whatever you want to think.
Quote:
I wonder if it'll come to the iPod Touch too?

Now this is just a stupid question. 1oyvey.gif

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #77 of 83

Why?  There's no Phone app on the iPod Touch.  There is FaceTime Video, but the icon for that is (currently) a video camera, which would make FaceTime Audio a bit of an odd inclusion.  iMessage didn't come the iPod Touch straight away at the same time as the iPhone.  I don't think (I might be wrong) that FaceTime did either.  None of the iOS images shown have been of iPod Touch (or iPad), just iPhone, so it's an unknown quantity.

 

I don't doubt it'll come eventually, but will it come at the same time as on the iPhone is the question.

 

Maybe think about the question a bit before deciding it's "stupid"?

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #78 of 83

It's not a stupid question at all; I was wondering the same thing. Skil is just... like that.

 

We haven't seen any iOS 7 on iPod Touch media, which is intriguing. For that matter, all the official images are running on white iPhones. Perhaps they are re-tooling the OS to be darker on black iPhones? Time will tell.

[this account has been abandoned]

Reply

[this account has been abandoned]

Reply
post #79 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

AUDIO FACETIME FOR MACS! 1cool.gif

Oh, on that subject, FREAKING COMBINE FACETIME WITH MESSAGES ALREADY, APPLE. Show us a list of our iMessage contacts in Messages and have FaceTime as an option just like video chat is with AIM… 
Yes, However on the contacts app(or combine the 3 ) send a mini message or FaceTime call from it.


Yes blocking the calls will be at launch, There likely is going to be even a battle about
At&t We let you have video calls so you can now
public Why you ripping us off still
At&tStop complaining
publicWe will stop supporting you, and switch if you don't
At&tNow announcing support for FaceTime video, audio and Skype
And you can guess the rest
post #80 of 83
Does it support multi person use on audio (hopefully video)?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • iOS 7 beta: FaceTime Audio brings built-in VoIP, free long distance calling to iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iOS 7 beta: FaceTime Audio brings built-in VoIP, free long distance calling to iPhone