or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Federighi thrust into spotlight with successful WWDC keynote performance

Apple's Federighi thrust into spotlight with successful WWDC keynote performance - Page 2

post #41 of 90

Everyone did a great job, but Craig stole the show. I like that TC understands where his talents lie and lets others shine where they shine best.

Definitely more relaxed as I think TC's management style is more forgiving than Jobs'.

I love colorful language but I don't think they should be that loose as to curse during a keynote. Schiller is typically fun to watch. I'll forgive him this one time. The Mac Pro is pretty cool.

post #42 of 90
I thought the digs at the old skew designs were funny. Virtual cows, green felt and the screen not falling off when they removed the stitching, brilliant.
post #43 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I still think "not innovate anymore my ass!" is the highest point at the keynote. 1smile.gif

Did anyone else notice the astute video director cut to a shot of Woz right after that crack?
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #44 of 90
It was an excellent keynote from a mature and enduring design company that clearly has collaborative work NAILED!
That was the vibe I took away...these guys all really dig working with each other. Craig, Phil et al.
Actually brought tears to my eyes a few times. #greenwithenvy
post #45 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Yes, I agree with all of this. Scott is doubtless a very talented engineer. I hope that, even as Nebuchadnezzer, a king no less, endured time in the wilderness, that Scott finds success in a place equally as challenging. 1smile.gif

Just not Samsung or Google I hope ....
post #46 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Did anyone else notice the astute video director cut to a shot of Woz right after that crack?

Yes, I noticed that too.

I also noted that Woz seemed to show very little emotion while there, and didn't seem to be doing too much applauding while others did.

He appeared to give the impression that he was positively put out.
If you're going to be original, then you can count on being copied.
If you're going to be original, then you can count on being copied.
post #47 of 90

In future WWDCs there will be a dual-speculation:

• what will be the name of the new Mac OS X?
  • what hair pun will be in Federighi's Game Center account?

censored

censored

post #48 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

During Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference keynote on Monday, the most stage time wasn't allotted CEO Tim Cook, or marketing head Phil Schiller, but to Craig Federighi, the software chief who stepped out from his "behind-the-scenes" role and into the spotlight..

Well, duh. It's a software developer's conference - who would you expect to be the main speaker?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #49 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

He does great work and he presents well. I'd like to see him headline keynotes in the future, since Jony refuses to. Bet he has incredible stage fright.

Why do you suggest Ive has stage fright? He spoke in front of thousands at Jobs Apple memorial. He was quite funny. Maybe he just does not want to do it.
post #50 of 90

Lovely as Ive is, I don't think he'd be very good on stage.  His style is ponderous and thoughtful, he's not a salesman, and there need to be a salesman-esque dynamism on the stage.

I don't think Cook is great at it either, he speaks so damn slowly, and I don't think (I admit I'm guessing) that many people watching care much about his customer sat figures.

censored

censored

post #51 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Yes, I noticed that too.

I also noted that Woz seemed to show very little emotion while there, and didn't seem to be doing too much applauding while others did.

What does that mean? Woz is still employed by Apple. He does not have to do anything, but they send him a check.
post #52 of 90
Quote:

Yes...that was awesome!

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

Tallest Skil:

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

post #53 of 90

I thought Craig Federighi did an outstanding job....great presenter and entertaining to....lots of positive energy. I have said it before and will say it again...the more I see Tim Cook the more I like him........ 

Tallest Skil:

Tallest Skil:

post #54 of 90
loved his keynote presentation - best presenter since Steve.
post #55 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Also watching Tim was really nice. He has picked up some speed and seemed at ease, responding to the guy shouting "I love you" and stuff. It was nice.

I liked Steve's response better, back in the day: "Thanks. I think".

And Tim went from snail to turtle speed, so that's good.
“A PC is no bargain when it doesn’t do what you want.” - Apple 2009
post #56 of 90
Quote:

Quote:

Yes, I noticed that too.

I noticed that too.

What was he doing there anyway -- is he a developer now?
post #57 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

I love colorful language but I don't think they should be that loose as to curse during a keynote. Schiller is typically fun to watch. I'll forgive him this one time...

He only said "ass", it's not like he dropped the F-bomb or something 1wink.gif. Personally, I think it was warranted because of all the trash-talking the press and tech blogs have been doing at Apple's expense. I think Craig did a great job and I dare say it felt (to me) like he was channeling Steve at times. As others have already mentioned, he seemed comfortable up there and exuded confidence in what he was doing and in the product he was demoing. Only thing I would have done differently is place a small table up there with a bottle of water on it. Eddie Cue, on the other hand, seemed extremely nervous.

post #58 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

What does that mean? Woz is still employed by Apple. He does not have to do anything, but they send him a check.

What does he do at Apple?
post #59 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

This I don't disagree but I and the other poster are talking about presentation skill and I think Forstall was as good as Craig.

Forstall had crazy eyes though. You can't discount that.
post #60 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Yes, I agree with all of this. Scott is doubtless a very talented engineer. I hope that, even as Nebuchadnezzer, a king no less, endured time in the wilderness, that Scott finds success in a place equally challenging. 1smile.gif

So we can expect him to spend 7 years in the fields pretending he's a wolf or other animal?
post #61 of 90
Quote:

I remember how nervous he was for his first appearance, but even then he did a great job.

He seems like a pretty cool guy.

Yeah, I remember the first appearance and it wasn't really fair to judge him by that but that's usually all people get to see of them. It's just human nature to base things on the available info. This keynote changed everything and was really refreshing to see. Even when Steve was there, they started to get quite low key - Phil had to rouse the crowd directly in one of them by saying 'c'mon, let's have some energy' because I think the crowd was worried by how Steve looked.

This keynote gave the impression they've found their footing and they're ready to keep going. It reminded me of the old keynotes and it was nice to see a focus on the Mac not iOS. I think Scott was a good presenter but if he was disruptive to the team, that's not important because it would end up dragging them all down. It would just take one person in a senior position to have a hugely negative effect. The whole team there did a great job and they all seem happier.

post #62 of 90
I think everybody felt that he was confident and cool under the spot. He was also funny...remember that moment when he was explaining how to share photos using the new iOS feature airdrop and compared it with the ridiculous "bump the phone with each person you wanna share with" that Samsung phones feature.
post #63 of 90

I really like this guy, livened up the keynote big time! Haven't enjoyed watching someone present at an Apple keynote this much since Steve. I especially liked his humorous jabs at the now banished skeuomorphism that Forstall was so fond of. Oh and he has a great head of hair - I'm envious ha ha!

post #64 of 90
"So much better than Forstall."

I couldn't agree more. He seemed less rehearsed than Scott ever did.
post #65 of 90

It's pretty clear that he's the one who gives the most demos.

Bosses don't do that.  It's the underlings who have to give dog and pony shows all the time, to keep their job or budget or project going.

1wink.gif

post #66 of 90
He made the view feel at ease while drinking the Kool-Aide. Yes, it is okay to tape some sips again. Now, Apple needs to get back the magic of suspense back. People need to drool with excitement at anticipation of "oh, and there is one more thing," at keynotes.

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

post #67 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by techno View Post

He made the view feel at ease while drinking the Kool-Aide.

Come off it.
Quote:
People need to drool with excitement at anticipation of "oh, and there is one more thing," at keynotes.

No. That was Steve's.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
post #68 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

It's pretty clear that he's the one who gives the most demos.

Bosses don't do that.  It's the underlings who have to give dog and pony shows all the time, to keep their job or budget or project going.

1wink.gif

In many cases, this is true. But in many companies, bosses have had plenty of experience making presentations before they become bosses.

This is somewhat irrelevant at Apple, as they take these keynotes and special events very seriously and prepare much more diligently than most companies. Every presenter (including the boss, past and present) rehearses repeatedly. The speakers had similar movements, down to their pacing. It would surprise me if the "bump" gag wasn't just scripted but was in fact rehearsed repeatedly in front of a test audience. Even the "my ass" comment likely wasn't just a spur of the moment ... crack.

The choreography of the keynote is very much consistent as in the past. If you listen carefully, you can recognize some of Jobs's favorite phrases uttered by Federighi - e.g. "I would like to show you ... right now." This suggests they are using the same process, possibly the same speechwriters, as before.

Edited by stelligent - 6/12/13 at 9:16am
post #69 of 90
Quote:
Whereas Forstall was the previous go-to for iOS announcements, Federighi found himself in the limelight. The position may not have been the most likely for the executive, though, as the WSJ points out, Federighi often declines social get togethers to focus on work.

This part of the article is kinda dumb.  Public speaking and socializing at two completely different things.  Personally, I'd much rather do a presentation in front of a crowd of strangers than make small talk for a couple hours with co-workers and their signficant others.  Now a crowd of thousands and an internet audience of millions, that's another kettle of fish, but it's still got nothing to with the "social get togethers."

post #70 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

So we can expect him to spend 7 years in the fields pretending he's a wolf or other animal?

You can take that literally if you like... can see Scott with a beard down to his toes and mumbling to himself as his new lieutenants come looking for him proclaiming "Sire, your kingdom is restored!"

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #71 of 90
Craig Federighi is a sharp, likable guy, who's showing his worth at Apple. Most notable in his WWDC keynote presentation, however, were his repeated and unnecessary digs at Scott Forstall. Apple's designs and decisions should stand on their own. Federighi's tasteless remarks in that moment undermined and diminished the brilliance of iOS 7 %u2014 regardless of the karma Forstall created at Apple. Firing Forstall was the only statement required by Apple.

If Federighi is going to be a successful spokesperson for a successful Apple, he may want to match his intelligence and persona with a little more maturity.
post #72 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryhorton View Post

Craig Federighi is a sharp, likable guy, who's showing his worth at Apple. Most notable in his WWDC keynote presentation, however, were his repeated and unnecessary digs at Scott Forstall. Apple's designs and decisions should stand on their own. Federighi's tasteless remarks in that moment undermined and diminished the brilliance of iOS 7 %u2014 regardless of the karma Forstall created at Apple. Firing Forstall was the only statement required by Apple.

If Federighi is going to be a successful spokesperson for a successful Apple, he may want to match his intelligence and persona with a little more maturity.

Or else what might happen to him?

Apple doesn't have a habit of "winging" it at keynotes. Take it to the bank that those quips were scripted. Furthermore, why are people insisting those were directed at Forstall? Lest we forget, Jobs was the force behind some of the former design motifs. Was Federighi repeating digs at Jobs too? Of course not. No more than he was jabbing at Forstall. Arguably, this was Apple's way of mocking itself.

post #73 of 90
Quote:

I didn't feel that way at all. It was nothing more than a funny -- and apt -- comment about skeuomorphism (sp?).

Weird that you should sound like you're personally wounded....

post #74 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Overall I thought all the presenters were a bit more relaxed and polished this year. It was a fun show from end to end. (though I am wistful about no more "one thing more."

I was hoping last year that there would be a moment at the end when Tim Cook would say "And there's one more thing..." It could have been an amazing moment - momentary silence, followed by a standing ovation in honor of Steve. Not a dry eye in the house.

post #75 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

In many cases, this is true. But in many companies, bosses have had plenty of experience making presentations before they become bosses.

Yep.  I meant that he had much more recent experience, no doubt with lots of iOS7 demos to Cook et al.

Quote:

This is somewhat irrelevant at Apple, as they take these keynotes and special events very seriously and prepare much more diligently than most companies. Every presenter (including the boss, past and present) rehearses repeatedly.

Steve Jobs taught them.  He had every phrase rehearsed and finely tuned to make everything sound more exciting.  (Or as he would say..."magical")

I used to give a lot of dog and pony shows myself, and you get really good at directing attention to the strong points, and away from things that are weak.  Jobs was a total master at this.  He worked hard on his shows, for sure.

Edited by KDarling - 6/12/13 at 11:42am
post #76 of 90
I thought he was fantastic. His digs at skeuomorphism were really funny. He seems much warmer, more easy going and more personable then Forstall.
post #77 of 90
Quote:

Most notable in his WWDC keynote presentation, however, were his repeated and unnecessary digs at Scott Forstall.

It was Steve who wanted the leather like the leather in his plane. The references made were not directed at anyone in particular but the choices. Everyone has different tastes, some people like tangible design, others like abstract. Abstract appeals to more people because it's less specific so it doesn't evoke a predetermined association, which will inevitably be positive or negative. In other words, abstract design isn't as divisive. They spoke about the design choices in one of the WWDC sessions where they said one of the motivations was deference - the design is submissive in that it doesn't compete for your attention with the content. The same motivation for the toning down of Aqua in OS X.

We don't even know if Scott had anything to do with the previous designs, nor if they were his decisions. People have just associated the issues together and now make the assumption Craig is attacking Scott. He was just making light of an issue that people have joked about for ages and did it very well. It's not immature or offensive to inject humour into what is normally very dry subject matter. It makes for a very entertaining presentation and I hope it's a format that they follow.
post #78 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicron View Post

I thought he was fantastic. His digs at skeuomorphism were really funny. He seems much warmer, more easy going and more personable then Forstall.

Yeah, I don't see those comments as "digs" against any person in particular.  If anything they are digs at themselves.  Personally I really liked the subtle touches like the stitched leather and torn pages, but a change in direction is fine too.  I don't think there was anything mean spirited about any of the presentation.

post #79 of 90
Quote:

Just my opinion, but I can't disagree more. I didn't, for even a second, wonder if they were directed at Scott Forstall. As Anantksundaram pointed out, it felt like nothing more than a few funny jokes. Yes, Steve and Scott were the ones (AFAIK) responsible for the skeuomorphism implemented in the various designs, but I don't think (to put it bluntly) Steve cares anymore and Scott has other, bigger things to be upset about. That, and the fact that I don't think any of us will lose any sleep over losing the green felt and stitching.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I didn't feel that way at all. It was nothing more than a funny -- and apt -- comment about skeuomorphism (sp?).

Weird that you should sound like you're personally wounded....

Maybe the green felt or the stitching should feel wounded.

post #80 of 90
Of all the presentations that I've seen from Apple, is still Steve's commencement speech at Harvard, 2005. The best, bar none.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Federighi thrust into spotlight with successful WWDC keynote performance