or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iOS 7 beta: Testers warned when using uncertified Lightning cables
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iOS 7 beta: Testers warned when using uncertified Lightning cables

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
Developers testing Apple's first beta of iOS 7 will receive a warning prompt on the screen when using an unauthorized Lightning cable to charge or sync.

Lightning


Because the software is in beta and is only available to developers to test, it's possible that the warning could be changed or completely removed by the time iOS 7 ships to the public. But at the moment, the operating system presents a prompt that reads:

"This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably with this iPhone."

Testers can simply dismiss the warning, and the Lightning cable, if functional, will still work as expected.

AppleInsider was first to reveal last September that Apple's new Lightning connector features embedded authentication chips. That meant unauthorized third-party accessory makers had to spend more time reverse engineering Apple's official Lightning cables before non-certified accessories could hit the market.

Apple has displayed similar warning messages in the past to iOS device users who plug in legacy unauthorized 30-pin connection cables. But the new warning in the first beta of iOS 7 marks the first time such a message has been associated with the new Lightning connector.
post #2 of 26

Good. Now Apple probably has a strong(er) legal foundation for the lawsuit when these cables fry people's devices.

 

Also, I like this modal popup they're using. I wish the Phone app matched it in style instead of being, well, like Windows 8.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #3 of 26
I've received the below pop up when plugging it into a computer I hadn't plugged it into yet. Thought it was interesting...
post #4 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinjo235 View Post

I've received the below pop up when plugging it into a computer I hadn't plugged it into yet. Thought it was interesting...

Ummm, you plugged it into a computer that you hadn't plugged into? Make up your mind! 1wink.gif
post #5 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinjo235 View Post

I've received the below pop up when plugging it into a computer I hadn't plugged it into yet. Thought it was interesting... [IMG

Funny that. Access to all its data.

Can you now browse your phone through the Finder¿
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
post #6 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


Funny that. Access to all its data.

Can you now browse your phone through the Finder¿

 

There are lots of third party utilities that can.  It's probably just the first time you connect to a strange computer.

post #7 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

There are lots of third party utilities that can.  It's probably just the first time you connect to a strange computer.

There are? Didn't know that. I have no need for it, but if it works on non jailbroken devices one could download their SMS and voicemail, which could be nice for some folks.
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
post #8 of 26
This makes a lot of sense. Apple should extend this trend to things such as power blocks. Those cheap knock offs sold on Amazon do not work correctly with grounding technology Apple use causing screeds of threads in blogs complaining MBPs tingle when touched ... and most writers being clueless as to why, blaming Apple. 1oyvey.gif

The worst part of this is the official Apple Support blog is full of this sort of thing. I have long felt Apple should monitor those posts, many folks assume stuff there is true by default.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #9 of 26
Both pop ups in this thread are nice. I also like that they don't purposefully break compatibility.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinjo235 View Post

I've received the below pop up when plugging it into a computer I hadn't plugged it into yet. Thought it was interesting...

 

Think about all those free charging stations at airports, etc.

 

Now consider that someone could have a computer there behind it, sucking down all your data.

 

Having the phone authorize the computer to do that is a good thing, right?

post #11 of 26
My guess is that the cable warning will stay due to the whole 'I can put malware in a lighting cable' thing.
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

My guess is that the cable warning will stay due to the whole 'I can put malware in a lighting cable' thing.

Really? I had never heard of that. Good to know, though.
It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything.

Tyler Durden | Fight Club
Reply
It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything.

Tyler Durden | Fight Club
Reply
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Good. Now Apple probably has a strong(er) legal foundation for the lawsuit when these cables fry people's devices.

 

Also, I like this modal popup they're using. I wish the Phone app matched it in style instead of being, well, like Windows 8.

 

Tell 'em. They might fix it.

post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinjo235 View Post

I've received the below pop up when plugging it into a computer I hadn't plugged it into yet. Thought it was interesting...

 

JESUS CHRIST IS THAT WHAT iOS 7 LOOKS LIKE?! 

post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

JESUS CHRIST IS THAT WHAT iOS 7 LOOKS LIKE?! 

Don't judge based on someone's chosen desktop layout. It takes some getting used to but I'd say things that I use feel closer than 6.x. It's pretty damned stable for a first beta. Check out the keynote.

http://www.apple.com/apple-events/june-2013/
post #16 of 26
Cool to know... I guess my 3rd party cables are legit as I've tried 2 and not gotten this warning.
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

JESUS CHRIST IS THAT WHAT iOS 7 LOOKS LIKE?! 

What is with all these people who don't even go to Apple.com?!

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post


Don't judge based on someone's chosen desktop layout. It takes some getting used to but I'd say things that I use feel closer than 6.x. It's pretty damned stable for a first beta. Check out the keynote.

http://www.apple.com/apple-events/june-2013/

 

that Music icon stands out as being horrible, it looks like the bloody thumbprint of a murderer.

post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

that Music icon stands out as being horrible, it looks like the bloody thumbprint of a murderer.

7 darkens or blurs the background when the focus is on a foreground element so I think that's what your seeing. Another Example - swiping to unlock puts the complete background out of focus. It creates a nice layering or 3D effect. The colo[[u]]rs are quite vivid. I'm colorblind so I probably can't appreciate them as most and I'm certainly not seeing the same things as the opti-typical.
post #20 of 26
Deleted: No longer relevant. Thanks Mods!
Edited by ChristophB - 6/12/13 at 11:14am
post #21 of 26

What sad, meaningless lives some must lead to spend time on a site dedicated to products they don't use. Must be some form of dementia preventing normal mental processes.

post #22 of 26
post #23 of 26

If the warning appeared the first time I plugged in a cable, good. If it appeared every time, annoying. I used to have that problem with a car charger and a clock radio. Same warning for each device, day after day after day ... okay, I get it! (I did submit feedback to Apple at the time.)

post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

This makes a lot of sense. Apple should extend this trend to things such as power blocks. Those cheap knock offs sold on Amazon do not work correctly with grounding technology Apple use causing screeds of threads in blogs complaining MBPs tingle when touched ... and most writers being clueless as to why, blaming Apple. 1oyvey.gif

The worst part of this is the official Apple Support blog is full of this sort of thing. I have long felt Apple should monitor those posts, many folks assume stuff there is true by default.

 

I've had the exact same thing happen with Apple's own power adaptors. I don't even own a non-Apple built power block for any of my Mac laptops.
post #25 of 26
Can someone tell me why this would pop up if I don't have any charger or accessory plugged in?
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by visforviolet View Post

Can someone tell me why this would pop up if I don't have any charger or accessory plugged in?

Seen messages like that when there is excessive lint completing contacts inside the connector. Try some compressed air and if that doesn't work, take it to the Genius bar and let them clean it out with a tool they have. If they break it probing around it's on them.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iOS 7 beta: Testers warned when using uncertified Lightning cables