or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › BMW shuns Apple's 'iOS in the Car' to stick with its own technology [u]

BMW shuns Apple's 'iOS in the Car' to stick with its own technology [u] - Page 2

post #41 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by krreagan View Post

WHAT!!! no BMW???? This totally sucks!... Oh never mind! who cares, BMW's are just overpriced dick magnets anyways.

Can you elaborate on the meaning of "dick magnet"?

post #42 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

So close! You should have said:

"Bummer, no beamer"

Good one.

post #43 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

I was more surprised to not see the world's largest automaker: Toyota.

I agree. It's disappointing neither Toyota nor VW are on that slide.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #44 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergsf View Post

Have you seen what car interfaces look like?  If the UI was much better and standardized, there would be no reason to retrain.  I don't use an Android phone, but if I picked one up, I would know how to get around in it.  It's all about user experience.

Thanks for using the very old system in ford as an example. Here is what they look like today. 

MyFordTouch_Phone_CallProgress-screen.jpg

post #45 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Can you elaborate on the meaning of "dick magnet"?

I was wondering about that myself. Is it to say that you're a dick (or have to be one) if you drive a BMW or that BMWs make it easier to pick up men?

post #46 of 164
BMW , who do u think u are ? U are gonna be taken over by Apple icar .
post #47 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

That title switches owner quite a bit.

Does it? When was the last time it wasn't Toyota or GM?

post #48 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

Thanks for using the very old system in ford as an example. Here is what they look like today. 

Why is the seat heater on on the left and the cooler on the right? Or just a generic demo screen to show all the info it can present. See what happens when you're on the phone while trying to post a comment.

post #49 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I was wondering about that myself. Is it to say that you're a dick (or have to be one) if you drive a BMW or that BMWs make it easier to pick up men?

I have this image of him trying to pull his crotch away from the car door.

post #50 of 164

No problem.  I can buy an Audi instead.

Mac user since August 1983.
Mac user since August 1983.
post #51 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_mac_lover View Post

BMW , who do u think u are ? U are gonna be taken over by Apple icar .

So every company is wrong and doomed if they don't get with Apple's program?

post #52 of 164
Quote:

Noted.  That was unintentional.  But now, seeing the update, I still rest my case.  Don't get me wrong.  It's an improvement but still way too busy.  When you are in the car driving, you shouldn't have to be faced with such a busy screen.  Just my opinion.

post #53 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

So close! You should have said:

"Bummer, no beamer"

It's actually "Bummer no bimmer"

Beamer is for bikes, Bimmer for cars.

post #54 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

No problem.  I can buy an Audi instead.

You do realize that all BMWs will be integrated with Siri next year?

post #55 of 164
Quote:

What's the benefit to carmakers over their existing systems which have been in place for years? They would have to create entire new systems and retrain everybody.

I don't see it being the a deal breaker to very many people buying a car at all. What kinds of things iOS in the car do that BMW's iDrive or even Ford's MyFord Touch can't do?

Are you serious? This is like asking what kind of things an iPhone can do compared to all over smartphones at that time. You don't think a variant of iOS, made by Apple, with full integration with iOS devices and cloud services, would have ANY advantages over the utter shit software that car manufacturers include in their vehicles? Really? These things are from the stone-age compared to modern mobile devices and interfaces. Trust me, I've been test driving alot of higher end 2013-2014 vehicles (I'm in the market for something new) and they're all at varying levels of shit. So yes, software made by Apple would be a plus for many, many people, and may be a differentiating factor in the choice of a car. It would definitely be value added, and if you don't see the advantages of a superior interface that communicates seamlessly with iOS devices, I don't know what to say. 

post #56 of 164

iPhone-owning middle managers and Wall Street douchbags will be very disappointed.

post #57 of 164
This wouldn't sway my decision on buying a particular brand of car, how silly. You just heard about it a few days ago...
post #58 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

It's actually "Bummer no bimmer"

Beamer is for bikes, Bimmer for cars.

That's only true in some circles. 

Actually, make that untrue in any circle, because it's Beemer, not Beamer.

post #59 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by unDED View Post

That's sealed the decision for me: I will not be buying the M3. Too bad I really liked how it drives.

Hey they're not really leaving IOS out in the cold. Have you seen this..

http://www.bimmerfile.com/2013/06/06/bf-preview-the-bmw-m-track-app-for-ios/

Personally the less electronics in my BMW the better, don't care who makes them.

post #60 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergsf View Post

Noted.  That was unintentional.  But now, seeing the update, I still rest my case.  Don't get me wrong.  It's an improvement but still way too busy.  When you are in the car driving, you shouldn't have to be faced with such a busy screen.  Just my opinion.

I will stick with my Tesla (to be).
post #61 of 164
mistergsf said:
..."Really? Is that why they all look like crap? Because by the time you put it in your cars, it already looks decades old?"

There is a lot of compliance and certification testing for anything electrical or electronic that goes into a car (electromagnetic interference) so it is a huge investment over and above the actual product development. I agree that most of the stuff in a dashboard looks a few years outdated, and that is one of the reasons.
post #62 of 164
Quote:

That's only true in some circles. 

Actually, make that untrue in any circle, because it's Beemer, not Beamer.

Anyone that is a BMW car enthusiast will know bimmer for cars. Period.

post #63 of 164
Quote:

Wow! That looks just like the screenshot in this article - http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/20/ford-continues-to-slide-in-jd-power-survey-on-automaker-quality/

So I guess what MFT can do that iOS in the car can't, is make a carmaker's quality rating go into freefall.

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

post #64 of 164
Quote:

Or that pussies drive them. Lol
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #65 of 164
If we can stop bashing BMW drivers for a minute%u2026

I drive a 2012 BMW and its iDrive feature is an embarrassment. Counterintuitive, overly complicated, and just plain clunky, iDrive is by far the worst feature on an otherwise great car. A driver's chance of using voice control to successfully do anything %u2013 make a phone call, find a location, even enter a city is about zero. You need to be in the proper mode, use the proper wording, and hope for the best:

"Call Roberta."
"Find Indiana?"

While I can plug in my iPhone and play music and podcasts, the car also features a hard drive (yes, you read right, not solid state) to store songs but get this, it won't allow me download my music library from the iPhone. Instead, I must load songs from my Mac onto a flash drive and then go through a convoluted process to get them on the car's drive. Delete or add a song? Errrr, not likely.

I complain here not to boo-hoo, but because according to Apple and this article, BMW will not be taking advantage of existing first-rate technology in the future, relying instead on a new "proprietary" system. Man, they just don't get it.
post #66 of 164
Quote:

Nope. Geography-dependent.

But, those who think so definitely believe in it passionately, as you demonstrate. 

post #67 of 164

Everyone who's complaining about in-dash integration for their preferred cars, please call a dealer to let them know. They may feel it's a small thing but they won't think of it at all unless they hear. And anyone who won't treat your comment seriously isn't a good sales person. Of course, it helps immensely if you already have a relationship with them (have bought a car from them).

post #68 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtDecoDalek View Post

iPhone-owning middle managers and Wall Street douchbags will be very disappointed.

Ok, so now you have to be either of the above or a dick to drive a BMW. Glad that's been squared away. At least I'll be able to sleep well tonight with that knowledge.

post #69 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by avidmac View Post

While I can plug in my iPhone and play music and podcasts, the car also features a hard drive (yes, you read right, not solid state) to store songs but get this, it won't allow me download my music library from the iPhone. Instead, I must load songs from my Mac onto a flash drive and then go through a convoluted process to get them on the car's drive. Delete or add a song? Errrr, not likely.

This probably has more to do with Apple than BMW.

post #70 of 164
Quote:

Nope. Geography-dependent.

But, those who think so definitely believe in it passionately, as you demonstrate. 

Geography dependent, is why I said it. The OP and the person who responded are both in USA.

post #71 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

Everyone who's complaining about in-dash integration for their preferred cars, please call a dealer to let them know. They may feel it's a small thing but they won't think of it at all unless they hear. And anyone who won't treat your comment seriously isn't a good sales person. Of course, it helps immensely if you already have a relationship with them (have bought a car from them).

I told my salesman that the run-flats that BMW uses suck, but my comment fell on deaf ears. (and I've gotten 3 cars from him so far).

post #72 of 164
Quote:

Nope.

To quote Satch Carlson, are you referring to "certain demented Los Angelenos, including journalists and novelists, [who] use Beamer, just to see if they can cause a reaction?"
post #73 of 164
Quote:

I told my salesman that the run-flats that BMW uses suck, but my comment fell on deaf ears. (and I've gotten 3 cars from him so far).

Agree 100%. Car salesmen try to sell you what they have not what they don't have. If anyone wants to complain or make a statement, write directly to BMWNA or visit the many BMW forums and post there.  That's how the M3 came to USA. Enthusiasts bugging BMWNA.

post #74 of 164
Quote:

I was waiting for someone to point that out!  Thanks.

post #75 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I want knobs and buttons--real ones--for climate control.

For everything else, I want iOS! Car UI's are horrible!

That's why BMW went with a physical knob for the UI control. The indexed notches allow for more precise selection of options. I, like some others here, think the BMW voice activated features are poor, but most of the time I have trouble getting Siri to understand me as well. Google, on the other hand, is near perfect in recognizing my speech and is also tens if not hundreds of times faster than Siri, especially in low signal areas. It is interesting that both of the voice platforms play through the car speakers even when not plugged in, but I guess that makes sense as the car is essentially acting like a BT headset.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #76 of 164

You may be right, but considering that the cable in the car is designed specifically for the iPhone, it's a pretty rude surprise. 1hmm.gif

post #77 of 164
Quote:

Ok, so now you have to be either of the above or a dick to drive a BMW. Glad that's been squared away. At least I'll be able to sleep well tonight with that knowledge.

The hell you will soldier. We still have important questions to answer before any of us gets any sleep. Namely: Is it "Beemer","Bimmer"or"Beamer" and how do these apply/not apply to their motorcycles.
1biggrin.gif
I've owned a 5 series in the past and a good friend put a half a million miles on his motorcycle so I feel like I should know this crucial information.
post #78 of 164
Good grief! Over the past decade I've had 4 BMWs (including my wife's cars). In no circumstance have I ever said, "Wow! BMW's systems are so advanced and easy to use!" Seriously...BMW's car systems are HORRID, and yes that includes the newest BMWs because I had a brand new 2013 BMW as a loaner car while my wife's car was in for service. BMW makes a great car, but their systems are sorely lacking, and I'm really disappointed - though not surprised by - BMW's stance on this matter.
post #79 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by avidmac View Post

You may be right, but considering that the cable in the car is designed specifically for the iPhone, it's a pretty rude surprise. 1hmm.gif

Yes, but considering that iTunes needs devices to be authorized in order to copy some songs, and because iTunes is not running on a BMW, it seems reasonable to assume that Apple would not allow a car to sync/copy your data or media because Apple cannot authorize a car. It is better that the car not pop up alert dialogs that the car is not authorized  for this or that. It just makes it simpler to just not allow it. That is the Apple way.

post #80 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

The hell you will soldier. We still have important questions to answer before any of us gets any sleep. Namely: Is it "Beemer","Bimmer"or"Beamer" and how do these apply/not apply to their motorcycles.
1biggrin.gif
I've owned a 5 series in the past and a good friend put a half a million miles on his motorcycle so I feel like I should know this crucial information.

And now we have a fourth category of "pussies" (though that one may have genuinely been in jest as indicated by the smiley face).

Based on this article: http://jalopnik.com/139926/bimmer-vs-beamer-the-answer , you can pretty much do away with "Beamer". It looks like "Bimmer" is the appropriate nickname for us four-wheeled motorists and "Beemer" for the two-wheeled variety.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › BMW shuns Apple's 'iOS in the Car' to stick with its own technology [u]