or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Reuters: Apple mulling $99 multi-color and larger-screened iPhones

Reuters: Apple mulling $99 multi-color and larger-screened iPhones

post #1 of 47
A report on Thursday claims Apple is looking into a variety of possibilities to expand its iPhone lineup for 2013 and 2014, including cheaper pricing, larger screen sizes and multiple colors.

iPhone 5

According to Reuters, four people with knowledge of Apple's plans say the company is investigating a number of iPhone models for 2014, such as a $99 version, 4.7-inch and 5.7 iterations and models with color options other than black and white.

While the sources appear to be reiterating rumors that have been bandied about for months now, they claimed to have direct knowledge of the situation via suppliers within Asia that are fielding inquiries from Apple regarding iPhones with larger displays. More specifically, these people said the company has narrowed down possible screen sizes to 4.7 and 5.7 inches, and may introduce two "bigger" models next year.

The publication reports Apple's rumored iPhones are a direct response to the Samsung's performance in the smartphone market, which has outpaced Apple since mid 2012. As per usual, the sources hedged their statements by noting Apple "constantly change product specifications almost to the final moment, so you're not really sure whether this is the final prototype."

In January, a questionable report first suggested that a 4.8-inch iPhone could be in the works for 2013, but rumors surrounding a "phablet" iPhone have since died down.

Perhaps more interesting in Thursday's report are details regarding a lower cost iPhone, which sources said could be priced as low as $99. As widely speculated, the entry-level handset is to be produced in a variety of colors and will be made of plastic to keep costs down.

Reuters apparently received conflicting reports regarding the cheaper iPhone, however, as one of its sources claimed the handset may not launch until 2014, while others said test runs are already scheduled for July ahead of mass production in August.

"Trial production was originally planned to start in June, but the mixing of colours is taking longer than expected as Apple has very high and idealistic standards," one source said, adding that some 20 million units of the less expensive iPhone are expected to ship in the fourth quarter.
post #2 of 47
I think Apple should do a phone that's no bigger than 4.8 inch. All of the signs towards a 5 inch phone seems to be a very small market. The S4, from what I understand isn't doing so well and the other 5 inch phones probably aren't either.
post #3 of 47
I don't know how anyone can make any money on a $99 retail list price unlocked, no 2 year service contract phone. In order to resell it, they have to make the thing, packaging and all for less than $20 and they'd STILL lose money because of a warranty and support calls would eat up profits in 2 seconds.
post #4 of 47

With the new iAd Exchange and advertisement driven iRadio. Here is whats next:

$99 4.8" iPhone without a contract. Subsidized by advertisements on lock screen. Let user add details like age, interests, area, etc. 

Let the advertisers subsidize phones, and Apple can take a 30% fee like with everything on iTunes.

This way you can disrupt GOOGLEs business, while seriously enter India, China etc. And the IOS ecosystem will become a whole lot stronger. It´s a win win.

post #5 of 47
The 5" Rumors is only because that is what PPI / Ratio happen to iPad Mini. So the 4.7 and 5.7 size doesn't make sense. Unless the Next Generation of iPhone will have completely difference pixel size count then iPhone 5.
post #6 of 47
I'm sure that during the average working day, Apple 'mulls' a lot of things. Is this really so shocking that it needs reporting?
post #7 of 47
It's about time that we have a larger iPhone.
Consumers have indicated they want a larger iPhone as demonstrated by the S3 S4 sales. Once Apple creates a larger iPhone it will return to its stock price glory of 6 mos ago.
post #8 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I don't know how anyone can make any money on a $99 retail list price unlocked, no 2 year service contract phone. In order to resell it, they have to make the thing, packaging and all for less than $20 and they'd STILL lose money because of a warranty and support calls would eat up profits in 2 seconds.

other companies can make profit on phones at this price point, why can't Apple?
post #9 of 47

Are u sure this is unlocked retail iPhone for $99, I know it is speculation, but is this a rumor or maybe strong thought by Apple. Interesting even though the specs would be lower than high end iPhone, it would sell like 'hot curry fries' in India.

This week Apple have shown me innovation, now they going to blow the competition out water (in India anyway) with such a price point for iPhone.

post #10 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Other companies aren't making the kind of profit everybody expects from apple.
post #11 of 47
Quote:

I think Apple should do a phone that's no bigger than 4.8 inch. All of the signs towards a 5 inch phone seems to be a very small market. The S4, from what I understand isn't doing so well and the other 5 inch phones probably aren't either.
Totally wrong - they are doing extremely well here in Asia where they tend to be ones primary computing device so the larger screen is more desirable. The whole world does not revolve around the narrow and uninformed views of the US.

An American living in China....
post #12 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydr View Post

With the new iAd Exchange and advertisement driven iRadio. Here is whats next:
$99 4.8" iPhone without a contract. Subsidized by advertisements on lock screen. Let user add details like age, interests, area, etc. 
Let the advertisers subsidize phones, and Apple can take a 30% fee like with everything on iTunes.

This way you can disrupt GOOGLEs business, while seriously enter India, China etc. And the IOS ecosystem will become a whole lot stronger. It´s a win win.
No advertiser would be interested in pushing ads onto such a person's screen.
post #13 of 47

The only reason I moved to an S4 is the larger size screen.  I'd move back if Apple created a bigger screen.  They should also consider a removable battery. 

post #14 of 47
I wouldn't mind a larger screen if the form factor wasn't much bigger than the ip5. Make the bezel razer thin so the there is more room for a bigger screen.
post #15 of 47

Cheaper? Not a chance in Hell.

Larger? No kidding.

post #16 of 47
If Apple makes a large screen iPhone, I'll junk my current phone and go get a Lumia. I'll show them!!!!
post #17 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carpenter View Post

The only reason I moved to an S4 is the larger size screen.  I'd move back if Apple created a bigger screen.  They should also consider a removable battery. 

Having gone from a HTC Tytn II with its removable battery, to an iPhone 3GS and subsequently iPhone 5, I can see there are numerous advantages to the non-removable design, chiefly not being stuck with a redundant battery once you change handset.

I've got one of those pocket battery packs with a small multi-connector cable and this has the following advantages over a dedicated removable battery:

1. can be used with different makes of phone so still usable when you get a different model.
  2. can be used to charge other people's phones, not just your own, e.g. colleague's battery goes flat whilst travelling.
  3. no need to swap batteries in order to charge or have a dedicated charging dock for it.
  4. easier to plug into a phone than to fiddle around taking the cover off a phone to swap its battery.

On balance much happier with this arrangement than with messing around with swapping batteries.

I still have the now useless dock and spare battery for my old Tytn II gathering dust in the house.

post #18 of 47
Quote:

Bigger screen? Sure.
Removable battery? Hahahahahahahahaha. Hahahaha. Get out of here with that foolishness.
post #19 of 47
$99 no contract price will never happen.

$99 with contract? That's what the iPhone 5 will be.

This rumor is DOA but I do believe a lower cost iPhone will come this year.

IMO it may just be an iPhone 4S with Lightning and colors for $399.

As far as a larger phone that's a possibility. They could increase the screen size and double the pixel count or completely double the resolution again. But at the sane time I don't know if Apple sees larger screens as a big opportunity of growth. The lower cost market could be more valuable.
post #20 of 47
Quote:

Who is making money at that price point? Only Apple and Samsung are churning a profit. Moreover point me to a 99 smartphone that is unlocked and is not old inventory.
post #21 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

$99 no contract price will never happen.

$99 with contract? That's what the iPhone 5 will be.

This rumor is DOA but I do believe a lower cost iPhone will come this year.

IMO it may just be an iPhone 4S with Lightning and colors for $399.

As far as a larger phone that's a possibility. They could increase the screen size and double the pixel count or completely double the resolution again. But at the sane time I don't know if Apple sees larger screens as a big opportunity of growth. The lower cost market could be more valuable.

I say the 99 phone contract free is bunk as well. I also think Apple will release a cheaper rebranded iPhone 4S, but this is largely to compete in other markets.

I think Apple is also ceding a big part of the market not having a 4.8 inch phone. This is hardly scientific, but I live in a college town. A lot of men and Asian people seem to gravitate toward larger phones.
post #22 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Totally wrong - they are doing extremely well here in Asia where they tend to be ones primary computing device so the larger screen is more desirable. The whole world does not revolve around the narrow and uninformed views of the US.

An American living in China....

No reason to insult anybody, but your point is well taken. I have noticed the same. Many Asian people I know visiting for school use the phone as their computer. Asia is a big market. If Apple wants to take market share there it needs a bigger phone.
post #23 of 47

I'm eager to see the multi-color iPhones.  And the spin-off advertising, "comes in colors" akin to the old colorful iMac ads of a decade ago.  (Remember the iBrator ad parody?  LOL)  Still, a flower-power iPhone would be so cool!  

'course you can get the same effect with colorful cases today.

post #24 of 47
Quote:

I totally agree, but not because of sales. My S4 is just slightly too big, requiring two hands a lot of the time, and with huge fonts in many cases that reduce the advantage of the 5" screen. I think 4.75 - 4.8 is the sweet spot.

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, mid-2011 iMac, Apple TV 2nd Gen, iPod Nano

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, mid-2011 iMac, Apple TV 2nd Gen, iPod Nano

post #25 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... According to Reuters ... Apple's plans ... a number of iPhone models for 2014, such as a $99 version, 4.7-inch and 5.7 iterations ...

A 5.7" "iPhone" would make no sense at all, unless it could run iPad software, in which case it wouldn't be an "iPhone."  If there was a six inch iPhone it seems to me that the first thing people would want is to run iPad apps on it. 

People forget that iOS is different from Android in that key way.  They have two device size categories.  They can't just pick a screen size willy-nilly like Android manufacturers.  It has to make sense in regards their two device strategy as well.  

post #26 of 47
Apple will never make a $99 off contract phone. It doesn't make any financial sense (or cents).
post #27 of 47
Quote:

Really? Who? Apple cares about quality. Quality isnt cheap. Most other companies don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas42va View Post

It's about time that we have a larger iPhone.
Consumers have indicated they want a larger iPhone as demonstrated by the S3 S4 sales. Once Apple creates a larger iPhone it will return to its stock price glory of 6 mos ago.

I'm not saying there isn't demand and I do believe a 5" iPhone is in the works, but the "smaller" iPhone is still #1 and possible #2.
post #28 of 47
Let's hope any increase in screen size is not limited to the height or we'll have an extremely long and narrow phone!
post #29 of 47
The idea that Apple gives a damn what Samsung is doing is asinine. That goes against everything Apple believes, and everything it's ever done. Look at the history- when Microsoft was "winning" by licensing the OS, Apple didn't do it, except for a brief period when the idiots were in charge.

Apple's going to do what it thinks will make the best product.

Also, samsung's big-screen "phones" and "phablets" don't' really sell that well. Samsung sells a lot of devices-- allegedly, we don't have any actual sales numbers-- but it makes that volume by combining hundreds of variations of devices. Apple sells exactly 1 Phone right now.
post #30 of 47
Colours.

Sure.

1smile.gif

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

post #31 of 47

Let's hope this bigger iPhone is out this September. My time for device renewal is then. I don't want to have to jump to an HTC One just because I want a bigger screen.

post #32 of 47
Larger screens?

Sure.

4.7 and 5.7.

(Keep the 4.0 as the 'Nano iPhone') and they've got all bases covered.

I'm not ancient by any standards...but browsing on my iPhone 5 gives me eyestrain after a while.

It's crying out for that extra inch, baby...or two... :P

It's not going to hurt Apple if they do.

Remove the oxygen from Samesung's throat.

Can't wait. Bigger is coming. It's inevitable...as the iPad mini was... 1wink.gif

Lemon Bon Bon.

post #33 of 47
Quote:

I think Apple should do a phone that's no bigger than 4.8 inch.

So you missed the WWDC keynote, then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas42va View Post

It's about time that we have a larger iPhone. Consumers have indicated they want a larger iPhone as demonstrated by the S3 S4 sales. Once Apple creates a larger iPhone it will return to its stock price glory of 6 mos ago.

Abject nonsense.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #34 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplePi View Post

Let's hope this bigger iPhone is out this September. My time for device renewal is then. I don't want to have to jump to an HTC One just because I want a bigger screen.

I just bought an HTC One recently since I was tired of dealing with tiny screens. I used my phone more often at home than a tablet or laptop, so a larger screen made sense. A full 1080p display is beautiful on a phone.

I am doubting we will see Apple make the jump to any higher resolutions or larger screens on their phones this year since the iPhone 5 finally bumped up the size from 3.5" to 4". Apple tends to be slow but steady. Also, the purportedly leaked 2013 iPhone parts seem to indicate the new iPhone will be an incremental upgrade.

Edited by Negafox - 6/13/13 at 9:44am
post #35 of 47
Quote:

Although I'm perfectly fine with a smaller screen, I agree it's time for Apple to offer a bigger screen as another choice. They've got the money, the resources, and the market is so competitive now they'd be foolish not to lure back those who have switched to Samsung. It just makes sense. Who knows, I might even decide to go bigger if it happens.
post #36 of 47
I must have watched a different keynote this past week. I thought there were several mentions to Apple not caring about market share, but rather user experience?
post #37 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

I must have watched a different keynote this past week. I thought there were several mentions to Apple not caring about market share, but rather user experience?

I'm not suggesting Apple won't release new iterations if they feel they meet market usability such as the different iPods that were designed for different usages, not to achieve different price points. But to release a cheap phone to gain market share, Apple clearly several times spoke against this concept. 

post #38 of 47
Quote:

I'm not suggesting Apple won't release new iterations if they feel they meet market usability such as the different iPods that were designed for different usages, not to achieve different price points. But to release a cheap phone to gain market share, Apple clearly several times spoke against this concept. 

What would be removed from the iPhone to make it cheaper? What would the iPhone 4s become? As I agree, if anything, the 4s would become the entry phone. But look at Apple's entry notebook, the MBA and entry computer the Mac Mini, both all aluminum. 

If anything, they will follow the iPod Touch redesign and remove a camera, possibly items like Gyro and Compass. 

post #39 of 47
Quote:

What would be removed from the iPhone to make it cheaper? What would the iPhone 4s become? As I agree, if anything, the 4s would become the entry phone. But look at Apple's entry notebook, the MBA and entry computer the Mac Mini, both all aluminum. 

If anything, they will follow the iPod Touch redesign and remove a camera, possibly items like Gyro and Compass. 

I'm thinking iPod touch with 16GB storage at $399 for the new iPhone {something} and the iPhone 5 will be renamed simply iPhone? 

post #40 of 47
Quote:

...the iPhone 5 will be renamed simply iPhone?

I think that's a little much to hope for. 1tongue.gif1wink.gif

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Reuters: Apple mulling $99 multi-color and larger-screened iPhones