or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple's inexpensive iPhone to adopt colors from iPhone 4 Bumpers

Rumor: Apple's inexpensive iPhone to adopt colors from iPhone 4 Bumpers

post #1 of 66
A fresh rumor out of the Far East on Thursday claims Apple will launch a low-cost iPhone in September in five colors, with the hues taken directly from the company's official bumpers made for the iPhone 4.
Colors

Citing a reliable source, Japanese Apple blog MacOtakara reports Apple has decided to produce black, white, pink, orange and blue versions of an as-yet-unannounced low-cost iPhone. The color saturation is said to be very close or identical to Apple's iPhone 4 Bumpers.

In addition, the person said green is no longer being considered, a color rumored to be in the running as of late May. The source was not sure if a (PRODUCT)RED iteration would be included in the launch lineup.

As for Apple's follow-up to the iPhone 5, dubbed by many as the "iPhone 5S," the site reiterated that gold will be an option when the handset is released this fall. The statements are in line with a photo of purporting to show SIM card trays bound for the next-generation iPhone, one of which appeared to be golden or beige.

Rumors of a colored iPhone 5S first gained traction in January, when Topeka Capital Markets analyst Brian White claimed supply chain sources said the smartphone would be offered in a range of eight colors. Those options were pink, yellow, blue, green, purple, silver, slate and a special designation for the (PRODUCT)RED initiative.
post #2 of 66
I'm still confused as to waht the advantage is to selling a bunch of low-margin phones that -- assuming people only bought them because they are cheap -- won't even produce much in iTunes sales is.

What does this gain Apple?

And multi-colored iPhones? Really? Hideous.
post #3 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

I'm still confused as to waht the advantage is to selling a bunch of low-margin phones that -- assuming people only bought them because they are cheap -- won't even produce much in iTunes sales is.

Yeah, those colours are damn ugly.

The only way selling low-cost iPhones would work would involved neutering features enough to minimize cannibalization and aiming for profits via the high-margin app/iTunes store.

The problem with neutering the iPhone sufficiently is that it would require a "light" version or altered loadout of iOS 7 (no camera? no GPS? lower res display? no SIRI? slower processor?), which I really don't see happening.

I can't see apple messing with the iPhone brand with a "can't do everything" phone, and can't see them split iOS into a multiple-loadout package either.

post #4 of 66
Quote:

It helps keep IOS relevant in the silly "marketshare" bubble. By allowing vast amount of people in third-world countries to start using IOS, they win over users who will later stay in the ecosystem.

post #5 of 66

That is one ghastly shade of pink.

Here's hoping this is another rumour that sinks without a trace!

post #6 of 66
It is not low margin. That will be silly. Inexpensive /= low Margin.

It shouldn't even be called inexpensive, instead an more affordable version. At $399 Apple Can make the same margin as it did with the latest iPhone 5 with some tradeoffs.

But I dont think Apple has decided which to tradeoff yet.
post #7 of 66
I'd expect no LTE and a slower processor with 16 GB of FLASH as the only size and a low-end camera module (5MP-ish). The goal is to ensure that folks have an entry-level model to join the iOS community.

I think that there is a lot of value in iOS reaching a larger community base. There is a real possibility of iOS becoming the defacto mobile OS, if Apple can dominate the space. Then the 'walled garden' becomes a 'walled universe' and the outsiders become a rogue minority, not the unwashed masses. Being a dominant platform brings a lot of value to the user community; Windows won the OS wars because it was ubiquitous; System 7 was marginalized when it was not the dominant player.

I don't know if the answer is based on an OS war or if the end-game is HTML5 and web-apps, but Apple is playing both markets quite well. I'd almost suspect that their recent surge in saying 'we are not in the volume mantra is the classic Apple mis-information'.
post #8 of 66
"There are a thousand no's"

"Now for us it's never been about making the most."

Someone doesn't pay any attention, it seems.

Edited by matrix07 - 6/13/13 at 5:45am
post #9 of 66
What some of you don't understand is that in Asia colours and anything else that makes your phone stand out is really popular, as are big screens. If they don't increase their Asian customer base they will continue to be outsold and swamped by Samsung.
post #10 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

What some of you don't understand is that in Asia colours and anything else that makes your phone stand out is really popular, as are big screens. If they don't increase their Asian customer base they will continue to be outsold and swamped by Samsung.

Swamped by cheap phones? Is that what Apple so afraid of?

post #11 of 66
Quote:

Apple is not Google to survive on iServices.  It primarily sells hardware and makes money.

post #12 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Swamped by cheap phones? Is that what Apple so afraid of?

Yes it's all about getting people into the ecosystem.
post #13 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoloszynski View Post

I'd expect no LTE and a slower processor with 16 GB of FLASH as the only size and a low-end camera module (5MP-ish). The goal is to ensure that folks have an entry-level model to join the iOS community.

Agree on LTE. If this is geared for emerging markets, no need for LTE, really.

Some of those colors are fugly. But so is a gold 5s.
post #14 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydr View Post

It helps keep IOS relevant in the silly "marketshare" bubble. By allowing vast amount of people in third-world countries to start using IOS, they win over users who will later stay in the ecosystem.

I'm actually amazed, how many people still don't understand that. Apple did this before with iPod and much sooner than they will with iPhones. While I might somehow understand that bigger screen iPhone was barely an option due to too big performance tradeoffs when trying to make it instantly compatible with screen resolution schema, I cannot understand why the hell did they wait for so long with lower cost iPhone....

They started only when all the statistic numbers starting to wind down strongly, thus showing to the world weaknesses and bad judgements. Having released iPhone Cheaper before, at least one year ago, market share cut in premium range and total would be easily compensated with mid-range and growing number of users as a "software company" as they claim to be...

This was and is plain and simple business cock up, especially when considering what a crap is any Android phone below premium range. Apple cannot do something shitty like that even intentionally...

post #15 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

Yes it's all about getting people into the ecosystem.

Without selection? Anyone? Everyone? I don't think so. That would benefit Apple none. The only danger company like Apple will face is not from cheap products competition, or lesser marketshare because poor people buy something else, but from people getting bored. And people will be bored if they see Apple products everywhere even in the place it should not be, like in the lower class populations'. If that happens, the brand will suffer. And the brand is the golden goose.

Edited by matrix07 - 6/13/13 at 5:27am
post #16 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Apple is not Google to survive on iServices.  It primarily sells hardware and makes money.

97% of Googles "iServices" is click marketing. If they would have to sell services other than that, they wouldn't know how to. Google has no real business case. Their business case is simply how to get enough clicks to give something for free to "free" community who really isn't picky about any kind of quality,

post #17 of 66
Quote:

Without selection? Anyone? Everyone? I don't think so. That would benefit Apple none. The only danger company like Apple will face is not from cheap products competition but from people getting bored. And people will be bored if they see Apple products everywhere even in the place it should not be, like in the lower class population. The brand will suffer.

Wrong. Very much wrong. Apple offers services really for EVERYBODY in their ecosystem. EVERYBODY is potential customer to Apple services.

You have to understand that Apple is no more niche company. It is strong and highly praised mainstream company and purpose of using APple products will be less and less "being cool" and more and more being productive and entertained in best possible experience there is. Brand will not suffer even a bit. It will be much stronger than even today.

post #18 of 66
Terrible colors. Apples device colors have been off the past 2 years.

They need to go back to the bold hues of the older iPod nanos. Strong greens blues oranges and reds.
post #19 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

97% of Googles "iServices" is click marketing. If they would have to sell services other than that, they wouldn't know how to. Google has no real business case. Their business case is simply how to get enough clicks to give something for free to "free" community who really isn't picky about any kind of quality,

Perhaps, but they're very good at what they do, you have to admit that.
post #20 of 66
Quote:

Wrong. Very much wrong. Apple offers services really for EVERYBODY in their ecosystem. EVERYBODY is potential customer to Apple services.

You have to understand that Apple is no more niche company. It is strong and highly praised mainstream company and purpose of using APple products will be less and less "being cool" and more and more being productive and entertained in best possible experience there is. Brand will not suffer even a bit. It will be much stronger than even today.

Wrong. Completely wrong. Apple doesn't want everyone in their ecosystem. Why should they? Their ecosystem is just a mean to sell you  the product you want.

Oh, and it has nothing to do with it being mainstream or not. I'd say being mainstream is a bit dangerous for Apple. Beware to fall into the same pit Microsoft and Nokia did.

Steve Jobs understand the important of the brand. I only hope Tim Cook understand it much better than many people here, for the sake of Apple.

post #21 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Perhaps, but they're very good at what they do, you have to admit that.

Good is a modest description. I would rather said they are masters of the art. If I don't like it, I cannot deny their superiority at the same.

post #22 of 66
Quote:

Wrong. Completely wrong. Apple doesn't want everyone in their ecosystem. Why should they? Their ecosystem is just a way to sell you  the product you want.

Look at the percentage or earnings and growth by groups. You will find out the are becoming slowly what they clam to be: a software company. However, both is wrong, they are actually besoming a strong digital era company, where ecosystem and products support each other for the benefit of user. THey are making inseparable coherence of products and services. 

post #23 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by technewshound View Post

I find the prospects of a low-cost iPhone interesting -- may help Apple grab more of the low cost market away from Windows and Android and win the lower-priced market kinda like they did with the MP3 market by releasing the iPod shuffle and iPod mini.

I created a comic that mentions this low-cost iPhone and the rumored iWatch and will add more comics -- trying to make my long-time Apple interest more productive You can see it here: http://www.technewshound.com/2013/06/apple-iwatch.html

Excellent! You showed the point. 1smile.gif

post #24 of 66
Quote:

Look at the percentage or earnings and growth by groups. You will find out the are becoming slowly what they clam to be: a software company. However, both is wrong, they are actually besoming a strong digital era company, where ecosystem and products support each other for the benefit of user. THey are making inseparable coherence of products and services. 

That doesn't mean they need everyone to be in their ecosystem. Like I said, the danger of Apple is when they are being seen everywhere.

But if they can find a way to make cheaper iPhone that serve some market segment well like they did with iPod then that's fine by me. But not cheaper for the sake of market share. That's dangerous.

post #25 of 66
Quote:

That doesn't mean they need everyone to be in their ecosystem. Like I said, the danger of Apple is when they are being seen everywhere.

But if they can find a way to make cheaper iPhone that serve some market segment well like they did with iPod then that's fine by me. But not cheaper for the sake of market share. That's dangerous.

Everyone is of course strong word. I don't believe either Apple wants classic Android i-want-all-for-free customers, but they surely want to be accessible to everybody, not just to premium market segment. I don't believe for a second that "cheaper" will produce cheap product. Not by Apple. I remember late SJ saying: "we don't know how to make cheap notebook...". They made iPad instead. When iPhone Cheaper comes out I am pretty much sure people all over the place will wonder how the hell Apple could make such a fantastic device for such a reasonable money...

post #26 of 66
Quote:

Everyone is of course strong word. I don't believe either Apple wants classic Android i-want-all-for-free customers, but they surely want to be accessible to everybody, not just to premium market segment. I don't believe for a second that "cheaper" will produce cheap product. Not by Apple. I remember late SJ saying: "we don't know how to make cheap notebook...". They made iPad instead. When iPhone Cheaper comes out I am pretty much sure people all over the place will wonder how the hell Apple could make such a fantastic device for such a reasonable money...

The question you should ask is: did they ever make a cheaper iPod classic with different material? The one that has the same size, the same function as iPod classic but different material and sold cheaper for the sake of market share? If they do something like this now, they'll cease to be the Apple we used to admire. They will be just a bean counter.

post #27 of 66
A burnt orange 5S would be delicious.
post #28 of 66
Quote:

The question you should ask is: did they ever make a cheaper iPod classic with different material? The one that has the same size, the same function as iPod classic but different material and sold cheaper for the sake of market share? If they do something like this now, they'll cease to be the Apple we used to admire. They will be just a bean counter.

You certainly have the point here: cheaper here doesn't mean smaller as it has with iPods, this is true. Making it cheaper will cause it necessary to use different materials, cheaper materials, but not cheap. I still believe their cheaper phone will be something to admire. So will be Apple. Things change, so does Apple, Had changed already many times. But I still admire them.

post #29 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Terrible colors. 

One word describes it for me: BLECH!!

post #30 of 66

They won't have the colours in the picture unless they are also made out of rubber.  The material significantly changes the colour.  

post #31 of 66
Quote:

I'm actually amazed, how many people still don't understand that. Apple did this before with iPod and much sooner than they will with iPhones. While I might somehow understand that bigger screen iPhone was barely an option due to too big performance tradeoffs when trying to make it instantly compatible with screen resolution schema, I cannot understand why the hell did they wait for so long with lower cost iPhone....

They started only when all the statistic numbers starting to wind down strongly, thus showing to the world weaknesses and bad judgements. Having released iPhone Cheaper before, at least one year ago, market share cut in premium range and total would be easily compensated with mid-range and growing number of users as a "software company" as they claim to be...

This was and is plain and simple business cock up, especially when considering what a crap is any Android phone below premium range. Apple cannot do something shitty like that even intentionally...

I think you're listening to the pundits too much, I don't see that Apple is in trouble at all.  They are making the cheaper iPhone at just the right time IMO.  They are still on top, and the market is only now starting to saturate at the high end.  As long as they bring it out late this year, or early next everything will be fine.  

post #32 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think you're listening to the pundits too much, I don't see that Apple is in trouble at all.  They are making the cheaper iPhone at just the right time IMO.  They are still on top, and the market is only now starting to saturate at the high end.  As long as they bring it out late this year, or early next everything will be fine.  

I strongly hope you are right. Time will show. I couldn't care less about pundits, but instead of zillions of aShits I'd rather see iPhones. Even today. Especially in Europe.

post #33 of 66
I would buy the cheaper iPhone. I don't own one now only because I have no need for an expensive data plan because literally everywhere I go has wifi.

If they came out with a more affordable iPhone it would mean that whatever company I buy it from wouldn't either need to work so hard to subsidize the cost which means I could pay less per month or the cost for the device itself would be less.

I just basically need a phone to talk on, sends texts and check email and my calendar from time to time. I don't give a crap about editing video or pictures on a phone or FaceTime.

Lastly, I really do think Apple has reached a saturation point as far as the kind of customers it's going to reach with the current iPhone. Will it gain more, of course. Kids will grow up and get them and beyond that others will choose to move from Android to Apple and people will upgrade their phones but the kind of exponential growth from the previous years are not as likely. As a company, you never want to become stagnant as far as your growth. Once you begin to lose momentum you become stagnant and that eventually leads to death unless you can miraculously turn it around.(And trust me, you need a Steve Jobs type person to pull that off)

By the way, I'm not an Apple hater. I love Apple. I have an iPad mini and a Macbook Air and an Apple TV and iPod. I want to see Apple continue to have exponential growth.
post #34 of 66

They'll also release Apple brand nail polish and lipstick to match those colors. Those phones scream teenagers!

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #35 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving Muller View Post

I would buy the cheaper iPhone. I don't own one now only because I have no need for an expensive data plan because literally everywhere I go has wifi.

You're not the market for the "cheaper iPhone", and you probably don't even live in a country where it would be offered, even if it did exist.
Quote:
By the way, I'm not an Apple hater. I love Apple. I have an iPad mini and a Macbook Air and an Apple TV and iPod.

Blah blah blah.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #36 of 66
Gold, really? Pimp / dealer / MLB version?
post #37 of 66
Quote:

iPhone market is not identical to iPod market. The differentiation amongst Shuffle, Nano, Touch and Classic cannot be duplicated with phones unless Apple wants to make a feature phone. The failure to understand that you're yelling about is entirely yours.
post #38 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Everything will be fine too if they don't.
post #39 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You're not the market for the "cheaper iPhone", and you probably don't even live in a country where it would be offered, even if it did exist.
Blah blah blah.

Apparently that country has people who can afford iPads, Macbook Airs and so on.

Except for the tiniest parts of sub-Saharan africa there is no part on earth where mobile phones do not sell.

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #40 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

iPhone market is not identical to iPod market. The differentiation amongst Shuffle, Nano, Touch and Classic cannot be duplicated with phones unless Apple wants to make a feature phone. The failure to understand that you're yelling about is entirely yours.

The point is there is a cheap alternative, like the iPod touch.

At this point the anti-Cheap iPhone brigade - a thing I never understood anyway ( why would Apple fans want them to sell fewer phones?) - should lick their wounds and shy away from debates. We will only take a little bit of the piss.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple's inexpensive iPhone to adopt colors from iPhone 4 Bumpers