or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Developer secretly tested new Mac Pro for weeks inside Apple's 'Evil Lab'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Developer secretly tested new Mac Pro for weeks inside Apple's 'Evil Lab' - Page 2

post #41 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post

Graphics are AMD. CPU is Intel, of course. 
What makes you so sure? AMD has already released a 12 core Opteron, Intel has 8 cores right now AFAIK

On second thought I suppose it has to be Intel to have Thunderbolt.

Don't guess. Apple said Intel.
post #42 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You have to experience pan/zoom in 3D Flyover with a map filling the entire 27" display -- nothing compares!

I notice, though, that changing angle in Flyover isn't possible yet. I also notice that three-finger swipe up and down aren't taken by the system or the app itself yet, so I figure that's what it will be given.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #43 of 176
@rob55 This isn't a machine that I would except to get basement discount deals on. If you're in need of this machine, a low price is nowhere on your spec list.

I can already see the chorus of boos from the peanut gallery complaining about the impending MSRP. And I'm sure 99% of those will be broke-ass college students wishing they could own one of these, not industry pros.
post #44 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post

"Can't innovate anymore my ass. Like a boss! 
1smoking.gif
"

I wish he wouldn't have said that. He is not far off from Balmer. Really the bragging is a bit juvenile, very PC like and unlike the poetry of the mac. I did not at all enjoy the product presentations despite the products being jaw droppingly beautiful. Phil just blew it. Shame. Ive really need to stand up and present the products himself. We need someone with genuine passion.

Come on boy grow up! Phil wasn't bragging in the least, he was directly dealing with the idiots that keep claiming that Apple is washed up and can't do anything new. Frankly it is about time these idiots where called on the carpet. This is nothing more than a measured response to the incredible negative snipping that has taken place relative to Apple.
post #45 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post

"Can't innovate anymore my ass. Like a boss! 1smoking.gif"

 

I wish he wouldn't have said that. He is not far off from Balmer. Really the bragging is a bit juvenile, very PC like and unlike the poetry of the mac. I did not at all enjoy the product presentations despite the products being jaw droppingly beautiful. Phil just blew it. Shame. Ive really need to stand up and present the products himself. We need someone with genuine passion.

Not far off from Balmer? 1oyvey.gif

 

I didn't see any sweaty people from Apple, running around the stage like an insane crackhead, shouting and carrying on like a lunatic.

 

As for Schiller's comment? Good for him! Is Apple not allowed to make a single comment at all about the huge amount of negativity and false statements that certain media, analysts and others have been making about Apple for a long time? Apple has been quiet all that time. So what if they make a single comment in a keynote?

 

I want to see more of that from Apple, not less. I want Apple to be aggressive. 

post #46 of 176

Do I need one? Hell no! Do I want one? Hell yes!

post #47 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

What makes you so sure?

 

Duh!

 

post #48 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by TogetherWeStand View Post

 

It's not like it's meant to be a mobile computer like an iPad or MacBook, it's designed as a desktop / work station.

I read that there are video/audio professionals that move regularly their Mac Pro's out for work. I don't know how common it is but there are definitely cases like that. Such people will love the new Mac Pro.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by TogetherWeStand View Post

 

As for looking like a bin, see previous posts, I think it looks more like those eggs in the Alien films myself.

It looks like whatever has everyone in his head, oops, mind. 1biggrin.gif

post #49 of 176

  I don't agree with the argument that it costs x to make so they'll sell it for y.   With Apple there's always been a strong "what the market will bear" strategy and who the prospective buyer is.  I don't think them saving costs from any angle is going to result in a machine that retails for something that anyone except someone with serious needs can rationalize, and Apple knows these people have been waiting and will buy it whether it's $2,750 or $4,750, and the other people won't buy it whether it's $2,750 or $4,750.

post #50 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc54 View Post

Do I need one? Hell no! Do I want one? Hell yes!


So buy one. I am also considering this possibility, to have it as a home machine serving non-stop all family members, with whatever everyone has to throw at it. But it depends on price also.

post #51 of 176
I still question why this machine needs six Thunderbolt ports. Since devices can be daisy-chained, one would think attaching a single rack or cabinet would much better match the Apple design aesthetic than a tangle of cables out the back.
post #52 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by TogetherWeStand View Post

This new Mac Pro is just so Sci-Fi. Wonder if they will do it in another color too, silver / aluminum? Not that I will get 1, I'm only a consumer to light office user.

Pro users in other posts have commented about it not being expandable internally, but at 1/8th the size of the old tower designs does that matter in this day & age? It's not like it's meant to be a mobile computer like an iPad or MacBook, it's designed as a desktop / work station. I imagine this new Mac Pro can be expanded externally far & beyond the capabilities of the old Mac Pro. As for future internal upgradability, graphics etc, wait & see, it's still a work in progress & not out just yet.

As for looking like a bin, see previous posts, I think it looks more like those eggs in the Alien films myself.

How about this as an idea for a Sci-Fi look...

Consider the the new Mac Pro sitting on, and contained in, a clear tube casing that extends up to become the single support for a clear glass table top...

And, the table top, when turned on, is also a large multitouch retina display... Wish I had the artistic skills to create an image of this concept!


Big-Assed [MS Surface] Table... Phil Schiller's ass!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #53 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

 

Unless I'm mistaken, I'm pretty sure that I read that there won't be any dual CPU version.

 

The 12 core is single CPU.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

AMD or Intel?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post

Graphics are AMD. CPU is Intel, of course. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

What makes you so sure? AMD has already released a 12 core Opteron, Intel has 8 cores right now AFAIK

 

On second thought I suppose it has to be Intel to have Thunderbolt.

It is very clear that the CPU (singular) is Intel, as the Apple website states that it is using a Xeon processor…

Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
Reply
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
Reply
post #54 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


To me, this is the most interesting thing about this article. Some of us have been around long enough to remember the early days of personal computing where portions of apps were written in assembly and even simple apps required a great deal of machine-specific (and OS-specific) code. It's impressive to me that the market has developed to the point where code is not just portable - but portable in a form that it works WELL after a recompile to a different platform. This particular code is apparently quite efficient on OS X which suggests massive improvements not only in code portability but in compilers over the past couple of decades.


And a counterpoint to this is EA's inability to get the new version of SimCity out on OS X on schedule

post #55 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

And a counterpoint to this is EA's inability to get the new version of SimCity out on OS X on schedule

To be fair, they're dragging their feet because no one wants to play that buggy, worthless piece of crap anyway.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #56 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


Come on boy grow up! Phil wasn't bragging in the least, he was directly dealing with the idiots that keep claiming that Apple is washed up and can't do anything new. Frankly it is about time these idiots where called on the carpet. This is nothing more than a measured response to the incredible negative snipping that has taken place relative to Apple.


Funny thing about that "can't innovate anymore" crowd is that they draw their conclusions based on a seven month dearth of product announcements, and many of them also fall into the Apple "doesn't innovate, they just copy" crowd. Their constant droning about the superiority of competing platforms presumes that Apple is a sitting target and doesn't have anything new in the pipeline.  Do any of them check Apple's ever-escalating R&D budget, or even the company's product announcement history?

 

Tech reviewers and bloggers in general are some of the most jaded and bored egomaniacs anywhere.  They hate the technology market because so much of it entails incremental improvements to existing products.  All they want is piles of new "features" with unpronounceable acronyms and exponential spec upticks.  If a company goes a quarter without new product announcements, then they're "doomed" and if a new product is an iterative improvement (or worse yet, a new product with a letter suffix rather than a new model number -- nee iPhone 4S) then that company is now incapable of innovation.  Yet, they will also proclaim any number of new technologies as "revolutionary" or "game changing" or "disruptive" even if those technologies or products lack even the most rudimentary use case for a majority of the market. 

 

So many of them don't understand Apple because Apple doesn't play that game of constant churn.  And because the tech press is so blindered by features features features and specs specs specs, they forgot how people who buy technology products actually use them for many things other than benchmark testing.  With that mentality, they can't recognize true innovation (which does not happen all the time).  Remember how many tech bloggers slammed a truly game changing product like the iPhone because it didn't have a keyboard or 3G?  Or how the iPad was just a big iPod touch without a camera?  Yeah, that's the crowd that Schiller was talking to. 

post #57 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You have to experience pan/zoom in 3D Flyover with a map filling the entire 27" display -- nothing compares!

I notice, though, that changing angle in Flyover isn't possible yet. I also notice that three-finger swipe up and down aren't taken by the system or the app itself yet, so I figure that's what it will be given.

Hold down the Option key and drag up/down to change angle (if you are not over a 3D area, you get only a minor change in angle). Drag right to pivot around the cursor location. Option Double Click zooms out...

You can also use the compass icon in the lower right corner as a joystick.


The Mavericks Maps app appears more robust than the iOS version -- zoom way out to the globe and it shows darkness and lights form the earth (no cloud layer yet). When in 3D you can tilt and zoom so that you can see the mountains and horizon in the background. And you can display a scale legend!

Have a 3D Flyover look at Jungfraujoch, Luna Park, Sidney, Rose Bowl, Griffith Observatory, Tivoli Gardens...
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 6/14/13 at 9:29am
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #58 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post


But assembled in the US. So that negates any savings in your examples.

Amazing machine from the look/sound of it. I have no need for it but it makes me drool.


Any reason for that? I don't think they would have moved it to the US if it didn't make sense. It may make far more sense for a smaller product line. This kind of thing has been covered many times. I don't think they're doing it solely for PR reasons, although they could factor in.

post #59 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

 

Unless I'm mistaken, I'm pretty sure that I read that there won't be any dual CPU version.

 

The 12 core is single CPU.

 

I think Apple is very correct to offer this in a single CPU configuration. If I remember my history, most Mac Pro users have been clamoring for better and faster GPU options rather than more CPUs. I will speculate that the majority of Mac Pro sales have been of the single CPU variety, and with the monster power of these dual GPUs (7 teraflops of compute power?) they can surely be utilized to assist the CPU when needed.

 

Apple's pro market is primarily animators, photographers, artists and designers. Their pro market is not data centers that need to rack mount, they are not broadcast networks that need tons of CPU or GPU cores for transcoding video on the fly. The customer who is going to buy this machine doesn't need a ton of expansion options, but does need a lot of storage and video options - which this Mac Pro has in droves.

 

Apple has hit a home run with the new Mac Pro, judging by the number of non-creative "pros" who are crying about the new design. As a photographer I've wanted a powerful Mac that would let me edit my photos at the highest resolution and with the smoothest experience. I don't need PCI slots or dual CPUs. 

post #60 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post


And a counterpoint to this is EA's inability to get the new version of SimCity out on OS X on schedule

You can lead a horse to water - you can't make him drink.

Intuit is another example. The tools are clearly available (which was my point). There are still plenty of idiots in software companies who refuse to use the available tools.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post

"Can't innovate anymore my ass. Like a boss! 
1smoking.gif
"

I wish he wouldn't have said that. He is not far off from Balmer. Really the bragging is a bit juvenile, very PC like and unlike the poetry of the mac. I did not at all enjoy the product presentations despite the products being jaw droppingly beautiful. Phil just blew it. Shame. Ive really need to stand up and present the products himself. We need someone with genuine passion.

Nonsense. Apple spends billions of dollars developing industry-leading products. That comment does not replace innovation, but rather highlights the importance of innovation. In Ballmer's case, he seems to think that the words replace the need for actually doing something.

It was a nice comment and about time. There are far too many know-nothing idiots running around claiming that Apple can't innovate any more and that simple slap was all they deserved.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #61 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post


But assembled in the US. So that negates any savings in your examples.

Amazing machine from the look/sound of it. I have no need for it but it makes me drool.

 

Tim Cook stated clearly in NBC's Rock Center interview that bringing manufacturing back to the US is not a cost issue, it's a manpower qualification issue. He said that manufacturing in the US would not materially raise costs. He said the reason companies like Apple no longer manufacture in the US is due to a lack of qualified workforce. So your argument is not valid here, assembling the Mac Pro in the US - given the small quantities that are needed to fulfill orders - is not going to cost much more than it does currently.

 

Did you know that past Mac Pros were assembled in Ireland? Do you think wages and worker benefits are higher or lower in Ireland than in the US?

post #62 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdRed View Post

Right and many pro users will probably not settle for the prebuilt configurations. Plus they might have to buy the 4K monitor(s) and other expensive peripherals.But I still think that $2.5K-$3.5K will be the price range of the "basic" prebuilt configurations that I'm also guessing will be 3.

I think you are correct for the base models however a BTO will probably go up 'to infinity and beyond ... ' (sorry got carried away there) and we don't even know about what add ons Apple have, perhaps a similar looking expansion box, maybe an Apple 4K cinema display? /wipes more drool away ...
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #63 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post

"Can't innovate anymore my ass. Like a boss! 1smoking.gif"

 

I wish he wouldn't have said that. He is not far off from Balmer. Really the bragging is a bit juvenile, very PC like and unlike the poetry of the mac. I did not at all enjoy the product presentations despite the products being jaw droppingly beautiful. Phil just blew it. Shame. Ive really need to stand up and present the products himself. We need someone with genuine passion.

 

Or maybe you are just a little bit too obsessed with Mr. Phil Schiller? I found his comment to be spot on! You probably don't follow what the media and Wall Street have been saying about Apple in the last year. This comment was not only warranted, it was welcomed and applauded. Apple has been the punching bag for media d-bags and Wall Street so-called "analysts" for not being innovative, and if I were a senior VP at Apple I probably would have made a similar statement. If Apple were more like your vision, they would be like everybody else. I don't think that's what we want from Apple.

post #64 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Hold down the Option key and drag up/down to change angle (if you are not over a 3D area, you get only a minor change in angle). Drag right to pivot around the cursor location. Option Double Click zooms out...

You can also use the compass icon in the lower right corner as a joystick.


The Mavericks Maps app appears more robust than the iOS version -- zoom way out to the globe and it shows darkness and lights form the earth (no cloud layer yet). When in 3D you can tilt and zoom so that you can see the mountains and horizon in the background. And you can display a scale legend!

Have a 3D Flyover look at Jungfraujoch, Luna Park, Sidney, Rose Bowl, Griffith Observatory, Tivoli Gardens...

I love the ability to send via 'share' a map to an iPhone or iPad to load straight into maps and it's working with OS 6 at the other end just fine now. By the way, have you found a way to modify a driving route (as opposed to selecting from various optional pre set routes)? I like the ability on Google Maps (washes out mouth) to be able to drag a portion of the planned route to a slightly different road and see the data update.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #65 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

@rob55 This isn't a machine that I would except to get basement discount deals on. If you're in need of this machine, a low price is nowhere on your spec list.

I can already see the chorus of boos from the peanut gallery complaining about the impending MSRP. And I'm sure 99% of those will be broke-ass college students wishing they could own one of these, not industry pros.

 

I agree totally!  Just one AMD/ATI Fire Pro GPU that meets the specs on Apple's Mac Pro web page cost $2000 to 3000 itself!  And guess what, there are 2 of those standard in the new Mac Pro!

 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814195116

 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814105004

post #66 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZREOSpecialist View Post

I think Apple is very correct to offer this in a single CPU configuration. If I remember my history, most Mac Pro users have been clamoring for better and faster GPU options rather than more CPUs. I will speculate that the majority of Mac Pro sales have been of the single CPU variety, and with the monster power of these dual GPUs (7 teraflops of compute power?) they can surely be utilized to assist the CPU when needed.

Apple's pro market is primarily animators, photographers, artists and designers. Their pro market is not data centers that need to rack mount, they are not broadcast networks that need tons of CPU or GPU cores for transcoding video on the fly. The customer who is going to buy this machine doesn't need a ton of expansion options, but does need a lot of storage and video options - which this Mac Pro has in droves.

Apple has hit a home run with the new Mac Pro, judging by the number of non-creative "pros" who are crying about the new design. As a photographer I've wanted a powerful Mac that would let me edit my photos at the highest resolution and with the smoothest experience. I don't need PCI slots or dual CPUs. 

Yep I am in same boat, HD Video from my DSLRs will be smoother ... I am thinking like NTSC is now on a Mac Pro and Photoshop and Aperture will smoke .... 1smile.gif I do a lot of HDR with a plug in and three large RAW images take way too long merge and mod on my MBP i7. I had 150 sets to work on yesterday and time is money. I want one soooo bad ... 1biggrin.gif
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #67 of 176
@chandra
heavy metal rock music.... that was "Supremacy" by Muse, opening track of their latest album "The 2nd law"
post #68 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by curveddesign.com View Post

 

I agree totally!  Just one AMD/ATI Fire Pro GPU that meets the specs on Apple's Mac Pro web page cost $2000 to 3000 itself!  And guess what, there are 2 of those standard in the new Mac Pro!

 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814195116

 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814105004

As was stated before in the other current threads about the new Mac Pro; Apple has more than likely worked a very sweet deal with ATI for low, low pricing on the GPUs they will use. This new machine will probably make Apple the largest single customer for these GPUs from ATI, and cutting the price per unit to move a substantial number of units is not a bad thing. X units for X $$$ per unit is always better than ZERO units for ZERO $$$ per unit…

 

Apple - "Hello, ATI…? Yeah, this is Apple. Look, we want to buy some of your FirePro GPUs, yeah, the really fast ones… But we want to pay no more than X for them…"

 

ATI - "What are you smoking over there, crack…!?! That price per unit is ludicrous…!"

 

Apple - "Well, we want 100,000 units before the end of 2013…"

 

ATI - "Where did you want these shipped to…?"

Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
Reply
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
Reply
post #69 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by curveddesign.com View Post

I agree totally!  Just one AMD/ATI Fire Pro GPU that meets the specs on Apple's Mac Pro web page cost $2000 to 3000 itself!  And guess what, there are 2 of those standard in the new Mac Pro!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814195116

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814105004
As was stated before in the other current threads about the new Mac Pro; Apple has more than likely worked a very sweet deal with ATI for low, low pricing on the GPUs they will use. This new machine will probably make Apple the largest single customer for these GPUs from ATI, and cutting the price per unit to move a substantial number of units is not a bad thing. X units for X $$$ per unit is always better than ZERO units for ZERO $$$ per unit…

Apple - "Hello, ATI…? Yeah, this is Apple. Look, we want to buy some of your FirePro GPUs, yeah, the really fast ones… But we want to pay no more than X for them…"

ATI - "What are you smoking over there, crack…!?! That price per unit is ludicrous…!"

Apple - "Well, we want 100,000 units before the end of 2013…"

ATI - "Where did you want these shipped to…?"

I'm sure they are getting a sweet deal on the chips, but there is going to be some more savings with these being integrated. Single heat sync (CPU and 2 GPUs), plus a single fan. The design looks pretty straight forward. My old MacPro was a freaking monster (dual G5) as far as the case, heat syncs, fans, and it didn't even have the liquid cooling. It was all top quality design, machined aluminum, steel, high grade plastics, etc. Even the thunderbolt 2 controllers are going to be had for a better discount since there is three per system. The GPUs are two per system. Twice the memory for the GPUs, etc. having PCIE flash disks that are shared with MacBook Air and likely the new MacBook Pros. Apple is doing this right.
post #70 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

This could very well become "THE" machine for a number of uses. I'd love to see a few in the Apple store myself but have this feeling that it will be hidden away just like previous Mac Pros.

MP's are hidden away in US Apple Stores? They're on display over here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You have to experience pan/zoom in 3D Flyover with a map filling the entire 27" display -- nothing compares!

Will my 30" ACD compare¿
Quote:
I will buy a new iMac when next upgraded...

But, I want to see the Mac Pro pricing and

...and contemplating on a MP instead of an iMac?
Quote:
... what's available from Apple in Retina or 4K displays (maybe the next iMac?). It's rather a PITA to scale down video from the Retina iPad to display on a non-retina desktop display,

I move from my iPad3 with 3M pixels to my 30" ACD with 4M pixels easily. And your iMac has close to 3.7M pixels. I guess I'm missing your point.
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
post #71 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZREOSpecialist View Post

Tim Cook stated clearly in NBC's Rock Center interview that bringing manufacturing back to the US is not a cost issue, it's a manpower qualification issue. He said that manufacturing in the US would not materially raise costs. He said the reason companies like Apple no longer manufacture in the US is due to a lack of qualified workforce. So your argument is not valid here, assembling the Mac Pro in the US - given the small quantities that are needed to fulfill orders - is not going to cost much more than it does currently.

Did you know that past Mac Pros were assembled in Ireland? Do you think wages and worker benefits are higher or lower in Ireland than in the US?

Off topic from this thread so my apologies.
IMO - I know he said that but I just don't buy that it is that simple. And even if it is true, IMO it's incumbent on Apple to clearly 'demand' what they need. School systems can't guess/predict what Apple needs when Apple should clearly know the type of employees needed. The original Mac was built in California. This leads me back to my original opinion... Very simply economics drives where they do their work. That's a complex statement because regional politics/marketing can play into that economic analysis as well. However, listening to various CEOs (ie jeff Imelt(sp) on Charlie Rose), lower wages, cheap land for facilities, and robotics are the primary drivers to bring 'final assembly' work back to the US. NOT work force skills. They train what they need. And a good many of these assembly plants are not huge employers... many exceptions like Honda of course. My 2 cents.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming....
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
post #72 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Hold down the Option key and drag up/down to change angle (if you are not over a 3D area, you get only a minor change in angle). Drag right to pivot around the cursor location. Option Double Click zooms out...

You can also use the compass icon in the lower right corner as a joystick.


The Mavericks Maps app appears more robust than the iOS version -- zoom way out to the globe and it shows darkness and lights form the earth (no cloud layer yet). When in 3D you can tilt and zoom so that you can see the mountains and horizon in the background. And you can display a scale legend!

Have a 3D Flyover look at Jungfraujoch, Luna Park, Sidney, Rose Bowl, Griffith Observatory, Tivoli Gardens...

I love the ability to send via 'share' a map to an iPhone or iPad to load straight into maps and it's working with OS 6 at the other end just fine now. By the way, have you found a way to modify a driving route (as opposed to selecting from various optional pre set routes)? I like the ability on Google Maps (washes out mouth) to be able to drag a portion of the planned route to a slightly different road and see the data update.

It doesn't look like the "drag route" feature is implemented in Mavericks Maps -- yet. I like the feature, but you can make Google Maps barf all over itself if you drag too fast -- it gets confused and shows routes within routes -- with no apparent way to drag yourself out of the mess.

I am trying to get up to speed programming a Mac Maps app -- there are no examples...

Also I haven't written any Mac apps since Xcode 3 -- and everything has changed on the Mac side -- and much of it different than the iOS side...

So far, I modified a recent Mac app from a tutorial (pre Mavericks) and have a standard map displaying & working fine -- but I can't do anything with it yet It is just different enough from iOS to make it frustrating.

I burrowing through the new docs -- but that is slow.

Also, I found some code snippet examples from Google Maps apps that may provide some guidance...


But, what I'd really like is a working example of Mavericks Maps app that I could examine and enhance!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #73 of 176

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple prices the MacPro aggressively, surprisingly low.  As others have pointed out, they can get great pricing and over the years Apple has has a number of computers that were priced well under spec-for-spec comparable PCs.  That is, I expect there will be an entry level model that will be reasonable as an uber-desktop.  And the real pros will have plenty of options to spec it out into the 5-figure range.

 

You'll notice that the Mac Pro page says: "With configurations offering up to 12 cores of processing power."  That doesn't sound like "there is only one CPU option" to me.

post #74 of 176
I don't know about anyone else..... but.... this new MacPro is wonderful but ..... looks to me like R2D2 in Darth drag. I could see the wheels come down, it already spins, aka the keynote. and then the thing opening up to see the inner guts. How Star Warsy is this ultimate machine?
post #75 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

This could very well become "THE" machine for a number of uses. I'd love to see a few in the Apple store myself but have this feeling that it will be hidden away just like previous Mac Pros.

MP's are hidden away in US Apple Stores? They're on display over here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You have to experience pan/zoom in 3D Flyover with a map filling the entire 27" display -- nothing compares!

Will my 30" ACD compare¿
Quote:
I will buy a new iMac when next upgraded...

But, I want to see the Mac Pro pricing and

...and contemplating on a MP instead of an iMac?
Quote:
... what's available from Apple in Retina or 4K displays (maybe the next iMac?). It's rather a PITA to scale down video from the Retina iPad to display on a non-retina desktop display,

I move from my iPad3 with 3M pixels to my 30" ACD with 4M pixels easily. And your iMac has close to 3.7M pixels. I guess I'm missing your point.

I meant that no other 3D mapping app compares.

My iMac 27" display is 2560 x 1440, the iPad is 2048 x 1536.

What's the resolution on your 30" ACD, 2560 x 1600 ?
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #76 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

When those came out there was an actual line-up at my campus computer store of people waiting to get their hands on them.  That was the very first time I heard of or saw anyone actually line up for a computer of any kind, let alone an Apple computer.  

Pro or otherwise, the Bondi Blue iMac was such a hit for Apple that it put the company back in the black, and gave Apple a fighting chance to create the future. It was also very copied, heralding a short time when some PC makers and peripheral device makers started using translucent colored plastic.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #77 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZREOSpecialist View Post

 

Tim Cook stated clearly in NBC's Rock Center interview that bringing manufacturing back to the US is not a cost issue, it's a manpower qualification issue. He said that manufacturing in the US would not materially raise costs. He said the reason companies like Apple no longer manufacture in the US is due to a lack of qualified workforce. So your argument is not valid here, assembling the Mac Pro in the US - given the small quantities that are needed to fulfill orders - is not going to cost much more than it does currently.

 

Did you know that past Mac Pros were assembled in Ireland? Do you think wages and worker benefits are higher or lower in Ireland than in the US?

 

But, there is still a cost component to repatriating manufacturing, and part of the reasoning is rising costs elsewhere.  Costs are on an upward trajectory in China, due to rising labor costs, looming environmental regs, and rising transportation costs.  Much of the manufacturing in the U.S. is now highly specialized and automated; and while it requires skilled workers, it does not require a lot of them.  Lenovo recently shifted some of their notebook manufacturing to North Carolina, and the highly automated plant employs about 115 workers and they assemble "several hundred thousand" units a year.  I suspect that the cost equation for Apple would be comparable, since Mac Pro volume would likely be more in the "several hundred thousand" rather than "several million" units range.

 

Manufacturing lines in China like those for the iPhone and iPad largely rely on old fashioned hand assembly and plants that can aggregate tens of thousands of workers together into a single site.  This kind of rapid mass mobilization of workers is what companies in China have perfected. It's a brute force approach that would be near impossible to achieve on that massive a scale in the U.S. for many reasons. Bringing manufacturing back to the U.S. would require less reliance on labor, and more reliance on automation technology.  I see the Mac Pro as Apple's test case for scaling this kind of activity up in the future for other product lines. 

post #78 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I meant that no other 3D mapping app compares.

My iMac 27" display is 2560 x 1440, the iPad is 2048 x 1536.

What's the resolution on your 30" ACD, 2560 x 1600 ?

Yep, 2560 x 1600. Useful for looking at the stock drop without scrolling, these 160 extra vertical pixels ¡

---
Thanks for posting the Mavericks experience of Maps. Can't wait to see it myself, when it's released. Actually, can wait, otherwise I would sign up as a dev myself. Still, sometimes waiting for something good can be a turn-on as well.
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
post #79 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

 

When you have most of the same crowd of knuckle draggers that didn't understand and who mocked the iPhone and the same crowd of clowns that declared the iPad to be a huge flop, slamming this new Mac Pro, that is a sure fire sign of guaranteed success. These people are terrified, because they know that Apple's influence extends far beyond just Apple's borders.

Don't forget the iPod - It is just an mp3 player with a hard drive and the battery will need to be replaced after a view years.  

post #80 of 176

Instead of having multiple external drives, PCI Express boxes, fans and power bricks, someone should make a single Thunderbolt expansion unit with multiple drive bays and PCI Express slots.  It should also have an internal power supply, quiet cooling, and match the aesthetic of the new Macs so they look nice when placed next to each other.  Instead of a single Thunderbolt connection, it should use multiple connections for better speed like one connection for the drive bays and separate connections for the PCI Express slots.

 

Another important advantage of internal drive bays and slots is that when you shut down or sleep the computer, all the internal components and fans turn off at the same time.  Can this be done for external units also?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Developer secretly tested new Mac Pro for weeks inside Apple's 'Evil Lab'