or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › Accidentally formated iMac drive and lost data. How can I recover the iMac's HD data??

Accidentally formated iMac drive and lost data. How can I recover the iMac's HD data??

post #1 of 5

I accidently formated an iMac HD that I had connected to my MBP in target disk mode. (I also had a new WD harddrive connected to my MBP at the same time and was supposed to format the WD drive in disk ultility but clicked and formatted the wrong drive. I still can't believe what a **boneheaded** thing that was to do...)

Anyway, can I recover the files on the iMac and if so, how can it be done? A program like Tech Tool Pro?

I can only connect to the iMac via target disk mode because the iMac display is not working.

I have not zero'd out the iMac's HD or written anything to it so I assume the data should be there all fully intact for the most part.

post #2 of 5
Yes you should be able to recover the data using software like Techtool Pro or Diskwarrior:

http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/index.html
https://www.micromat.com/store

This is one of those situations where having a cloned backup or even Time Machine would be the easier route because those tools might not be able to rebuild your directory structure. I'd give DiskWarrior a go in this case as it seems to be designed specifically for drive recovery. Techtool looks for files so you'll get thousands of files in a flat list. DiskWarrior might do a better job at rebuilding it.
post #3 of 5

Thanks Marvin,

I ended up using data rescue 3. It looks as if it recovered everything and more (lots of deleted files). 

(I *still*can't believe I formatted the wrong disk...)

post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

(I *still*can't believe I formatted the wrong disk...)

Good to hear you got everything back. It would be nice if Apple's tools had a built in warning when it detected that you were trying to erase a complete system drive. If it had said something like:

'Warning, the selected drive has 600,000 files on it and a system folder, are you sure you want to format the drive Macintosh HD?'

you'd at least see the potential damage being done before it happened. OS X should even have warnings about bulk file deletions. It's too easy to accidentally dump a folder of thousands of files into the trash and empty it.
post #5 of 5
Use the Card Data Recovery for Mac. It supports a variety of file systems. Basically, it recovers deleted files. But be sure you haven’t overwritten your files yet. Good luck.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › Accidentally formated iMac drive and lost data. How can I recover the iMac's HD data??