or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iOS 7 beta already on 0.22% of compatible US devices, study says

Apple's iOS 7 beta already on 0.22% of compatible US devices, study says

post #1 of 40
According to ad firm Chitika, Apple's latest iOS 7 beta accounts for 0.22 percent of all U.S. iPhone and iPod touch traffic across its network, double the 0.11 percent seen by the third iOS 6 beta last year.

Adoption
Data from Chitika Insights June 2013.

The metrics, which measure adoption up to June 12, suggest a high developer interest in the latest iOS just two days after it was unveiled on stage at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference on Monday. Chitika notes that the number of impressions is growing, suggesting developers are continuing to download and test the new mobile OS.

"The more radical design change, and its potential impact on existing applications, could be driving this behavior," the firm said. "Alternatively, the new interface could be spurring users to browse more frequently."

With definitively positive initial growth, the report speculates developers are not only excited to test out the new features and vast redesign, but want to make sure their apps operate smoothly on the revamped system.

For its report, the firm's Insights research team used a sample of tens of milllions of iPhone and iPod touch online ad impressions taken from June 3 to June 12. Apple introduced iOS 7 on Monday, June 10, and released the beta to developers that same day.

The 0.22 percent share was reached by pitting ad impressions against the number traffic from all iPhones and iPod touches across the company's ad network.

It should be noted that the 0.11 percent share seen by iOS 6 in 2012 is inherently lower because that release was also available on the second and third generation iPad, creating a much larger pool of devices.
post #2 of 40
Didn't Apple say they doubled the number of registered iOS developers since last year? In other words, the number of people who can load the beta... I'm sure there are also people signing up for $100 developer account just to play with the beta.
post #3 of 40
I know that some people are paying developers a small fee to have them add their IMEI number to the developer's account.
post #4 of 40

This is overall good news, as it seems interest in iOS 7 is huge.

That's why it's better to have a new controversial design than the same old design with new features. iOS 7 was a huge gamble that will pay off for Apple in the end.

post #5 of 40
I'm sorry but your headline is misleading. In your introduction you're interpreting it the right way though.

On the left side of the chart it reads "Share of North American iPhone and iPod Touch Web Traffic". That means that a lot of iOS 7 devices could create only a small amount of this traffic or it means that a small amount creates a lot of traffic (0.22%). They do not tell "how much percent of the devices" as you name it wrongly in your headline create the amount of traffic. They're only telling us that "of all iPod and iPhone traffic" they capture, 0.22% is created with iOS 7 devices. There's now clue about how many devices are producing this traffic.
post #6 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

According to ad firm Chitika, Apple's latest iOS 7 beta accounts for 0.22 percent of all U.S. iPhone and iPod touch traffic across its network, double the 0.11 percent seen by the third iOS 6 beta last year.

This, more than anything, makes me suspect that Chitika's numbers are meaningless. I don't believe that one out of every 500 iOS devices is already using iOS 7.

There are something like 500 M iOS devices in use. There are something like 100,000 iOS developers - so the ratio should be 5,000 to 1 - even if every single developer has a device on iOS 7. That's 1/10 of what Chitika says is already in use.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #7 of 40

``We teased myriads of seasoned and novice tech bloggers with our beta-stuff. They handed us a nice check in exchange for their fake developer accounts.''

P.S. Another one to Apple Store geniuses all over the world for restoring iOS 6 and getting favorite stuff working again. 1tongue.gif

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #8 of 40
I find the numbers suspect too, but if all of 100,000 developers allowed 10 people to load the beta, we would hit 1 million which is roughly the 1/500 point.
post #9 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

``We teased myriads of seasoned and novice tech bloggers with our beta-stuff. They handed us a nice check in exchange for their fake developer accounts.''

P.S. Another one to Apple Store geniuses all over the world for restoring iOS 6 and getting favorite stuff working again. 1tongue.gif

I get your point, but to be fair Apple collects about $10 million a year for ios developer accounts and they will pay out more than $5 billion to developer. Someone is actually making software.
post #10 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Someone is actually making software.

Oh, they, sure, are.

Novice bloggers with fake accounts contribute 1-star ratings and the holy anger in the Appstore when apps designed for iOS 6 happen to stop working under beta 7. 1smile.gif

Edited by ivan.rnn01 - 6/14/13 at 3:48pm

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #11 of 40
I've been playing with it for a day or so. (I'll go back to iOS6 after a couple of days, and wait for the final product).

There's been a lot of grumbling and whining about the UI here and elsewhere. I LOVE it. Granted, some of the icons are candy-color bright and could perhaps be toned down a tad, but Safari, iTunes Radio, iTunes, Weather, Control Center, Camera are all killers. (Especially iTunes Radio. I really do feel badly for all the other offerings out there.)

For the record, I also love the new font.

At the end of the day, when the product is finally finished and rolled out, it will blow people away.
post #12 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I've been playing with it for a day or so. (I'll go back to iOS6 after a couple of days, and wait for the final product).

There's been a lot of grumbling and whining about the UI here and elsewhere. I LOVE it. Granted, some of the icons are candy-color bright and could perhaps be toned down a tad, but Safari, iTunes Radio, iTunes, Weather, Control Center, Camera are all killers. (Especially iTunes Radio. I really do feel badly for all the other offerings out there.)

At the end of the day, when the product is finally finished and rolled out, it will blow people away.

I agree with you. People are going to love it! :)

post #13 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

This, more than anything, makes me suspect that Chitika's numbers are meaningless. I don't believe that one out of every 500 iOS devices is already using iOS 7.

There are something like 500 M iOS devices in use. There are something like 100,000 iOS developers - so the ratio should be 5,000 to 1 - even if every single developer has a device on iOS 7. That's 1/10 of what Chitika says is already in use.

iOS 7 is on Torrents.
post #14 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

iOS 7 is on Torrents.

Good luck installing without a developer account.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #15 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

Didn't Apple say they doubled the number of registered iOS developers since last year? In other words, the number of people who can load the beta... I'm sure there are also people signing up for $100 developer account just to play with the beta.
Yes, and sadly about as many developers joining as people hacking it.
post #16 of 40
Really? Come on Appleinsider, you are better than this.
post #17 of 40
A lot of buzz words in this article but, basically the last paragraph.
post #18 of 40
post #19 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

I find the numbers suspect too, but if all of 100,000 developers allowed 10 people to load the beta, we would hit 1 million which is roughly the 1/500 point.

Quote:

Quote:

iOS 7 is on Torrents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:

iOS 7 is on Torrents.

Quote:

The numbers are not surprising. Since the iOS 6 betas Apple has not been enforcing the check to see if the devices are registered on developer accounts. They are taking the same approach as with OS X (ignoring unauthorized installations). As a result plenty of people are installing and experimenting with the betas so it's only natural the numbers of users far surpass the numbers of developers.
post #20 of 40
Quote:

I don't like Safari. I do not like it at all. I agree with the rest: major improvement. My beef with Safari is how the navigation (forward, share, backward and bookmark) go away and hide. Why can't they simply have the bar go transparent so you can still get to the controls quickly.

I can't say how much I really dislike the hiding of the controls.

post #21 of 40
Quote:

You're right that the report is fairly meaningless, but here's why:

Chitika is not claiming any particular number of devices, or even percentage of devices.

Chitika is simply reporting the percentage of ads being viewed on iOS7 devices.

(People trying out the new browser would boost that percentage.  So would multiple page+ad fetches if the new browser doesn't cache very well.)

Of course, the report itself works double duty as an ad for the Chitika ad network.

Quote:
There are something like 500 M iOS devices in use. 

Point of order:  500 M sold since 2007. The number still in use is unknown.

Quote:
There are something like 100,000 iOS developers -

That number gets artificially boosted each time there's a beta like this, as clever people all over the world sign up as developers so they can sell a hundred "test" slots per signup to make quick cash.  Apple doesn't mind of course, since they can brag about how many developers have "signed up for the new iOS version".

(There was an insider article in Wired not long ago reporting that many of these sellers have dozens of developer accounts.)

Edited by KDarling - 6/14/13 at 6:37pm
post #22 of 40
Quote:

I'm actually a huge fan of the compass app. I never thought I'd say that but it kinda rocks.
post #23 of 40
Quote:

totally agree, even in the beta version i find much less bugs when comparing to iOS 6 beta… 

one of the best feature i like is photo stream uploading for non-admins.

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

post #24 of 40

Unfortunately it's led to morons leaving negatives reviews for apps that aren't iOS 7 compatible. irked.gif

Apple really should have limited this beta to genuine developers.

post #25 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Unfortunately it's led to morons leaving negatives reviews for apps that aren't iOS 7 compatible. irked.gif

Apple really should have limited this beta to genuine developers.

Who's a 'genuine' developer? And how would Apple police that?

Also, if apps are broken, they should fix it. Big deal.
post #26 of 40
Quote:

Are you sure you can go back to iOS6?

post #27 of 40

I have just downloaded iOS7.... I don't like it. Bring back skeuomorphism! This is grim, tacky, pointless. I feel like I have just installed a Chinese knock off of windows 95 on my phone. Worrying times.

I rarely have a bad word to say about Apple, but criticism where criticism due. They better sort this out before the public release.

post #28 of 40
Quote:

They can't publish fixes.  It'd have to be done via the iOS 7 sdk and apple isn't accepting those updates.

post #29 of 40
Quote:

Who's a 'genuine' developer?

Someone who paid to have legal access to the software.
Quote:
And how would Apple police that?

Worked for them for the past six years: you have to have a developer account to get the software or any of its features running at all.
Quote:

Can't, though. What they can do is suffer for three months through tens of thousands of one star reviews from complete idiots.

post #30 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Yes. My app is broken, and I use it a lot. :-)
post #31 of 40
Quote:

Quote:

I think the paperboy is referring to Apple's claim that once ios7 is installed, you cannot restore firmware of previous versions.

But that's been proven wrong, despite Apple's warning.
post #32 of 40
Quote:

Someone who paid to have legal access to the software.
Worked for them for the past six years: you have to have a developer account to get the software or any of its features running at all.
Can't, though. What they can do is suffer for three months through tens of thousands of one star reviews from complete idiots.

Which means this will open the door for a generation of Angry Birds. Here we go again.
post #33 of 40
Quote:

Developer access isn't required to install this one. Was that way in the past and might change in the next seeded release, but this current build can do without it.
post #34 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Quote:

Quote:

I think the paperboy is referring to Apple's claim that once ios7 is installed, you cannot restore firmware of previous versions.

Hmm... I did not know that.

But it's not the end of the world, since I have another one that can use in the meantime (my developer assistant will figure all this out!).

Worst case, I might have to walk around with two phones for a couple of months.
Edited by anantksundaram - 6/15/13 at 11:53am
post #35 of 40
Quote:

Quote:

Hmm... I did not know that.

But it's not the end of the world, since I have another one that can use in the meantime (my developer assistant will figure all this out!).

Worst case, I might have to walk around with two phones for a couple of months.

It's okay. Ankleskater is right. It looks like Apple was being too cautious warning people that installation of iOS7 couldn't be reversed.

post #36 of 40
Quote:

That's easy. Restrict it to UDIDs that have been registered with Apple for more than 3 months.

Quote:

I really hope you're being contrarian and don't actually mean this. If you do mean it, you are a moron. Developers can't guarantee compatibility with unknown beta releases of iOS ahead of time. Submitting an upgrade takes at least a week so there's no way that developers could have fixed issues before these people left a negative review of the app.

The whole point of these beta releases is to give developers several months to fix issues before iOS 7 is released to the public. 

Reviews and ratings can have a significant impact on an app's sales and therefore a developer's income. With no way to respond or delete reviews, developer's just have to put up with dumb users writing dumb reviews.

post #37 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I really hope you're being contrarian and don't actually mean this. If you do mean it, you are a moron.

I do mean it.

If you have a substantive point to make, make it. Stop calling people names.
post #38 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

Really? $100 to get access to beta software which will be FREE in a few months? And your theory is that these people registered before, not after iOS 7 was unveiled last week, in time for Tim Cook to compile the developer statistics and present them on stage?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #39 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

They can't publish fixes.  It'd have to be done via the iOS 7 sdk and apple isn't accepting those updates.

Completely false. Building a New version for iOS 7 is one thing. Fixing a small bug that causes an issue or crash is COMMON and happens every year during the beta period.
Quote:

It's long been established that any device put into DFU mode is easily restored to stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundvision View Post

Developer access isn't required to install this one. Was that way in the past and might change in the next seeded release, but this current build can do without it.

"Can do it" is completely different than suggesting that anyone who gets a copy of the .ipsw and iTunes can install it. No, they need to go a hacky route, or have their UDID registered with a legitimate active developer account.
post #40 of 40

You can install IOS 7 Beta 1 without a UDID registered and a developer account. I did it. Unfortunately after owning every single ios device, once I loaded it. I hated it. I hate the colors. I hate the layout. Glad I didn't renew my developer account. I love my mac computers but feel that IOS is going to need a ton of updates to finally fall back into its own. Yesterday I picked up my Note 2 and well it's different but had everything I like and a large screen. Guess I will try the competition out for awhile until a new iphone is announced and i get a chance to see all the apps and mobile sites get fixed. 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's iOS 7 beta already on 0.22% of compatible US devices, study says
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iOS 7 beta already on 0.22% of compatible US devices, study says