or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › New Mac Pro's radical design draws admiration, criticism via Photoshop

New Mac Pro's radical design draws admiration, criticism via Photoshop

post #1 of 109
Apple's ultra-minimalist design for the new Mac Pro may have drawn "oohs" and "aahs" from admirers, but that hasn't stopped the Internet from sending up the powerful new desktop in a number of amusing manipulated images.

stovepipe

Revealed on Monday as part of the Worldwide Developer Conference keynote, the Mac Pro wowed attendees and viewers watching online with its spare, cylindrical look. The bold design drew immediate praise from many tech commentators, who had been awaiting a refresh of Apple's most powerful desktop for some time.

The Independent called the new workstation "a bombshell of beautiful design and raw power," noting that the genius of the new look isn't just skin deep: that cylindrical shape works to improve airflow across components, cooling the device without the need for multiple heat-sinks.

In something of a backhanded compliment, CNN called the new Mac "the beautiful new Apple computer most people won't buy". The same article, though, said the Pro was "a design marvel... that bears little resemblance to computers as we've traditionally imagined them.

Even Gizmodo ? always cautious in its Apple praise since a dust-up with the iPhone maker three years ago ? hailed the "brilliant insanity" behind its design, saying it was the type of design only a company like Apple could produce.

Notably, most reports made reference to Apple marketing chief Phillip Schiller's now famous on-stage utterance in defense of the power of Apple's design. "Can't innovate anymore, my ass," Schiller quipped after revealing the new form factor.

And while the tech press and design aficionados seem to have fallen in love, the always irreverent Internet has already provided the requisite snark and mockery to perhaps bring the discussion back down to earth. Shortly after its unveiling, a wave of Tumblrs and forum threads riffed on the new Pro's design, turning it into a number of other things.

For the benefit of our readers, of course, AppleInsider has assembled a collection of the best of these Pro parodies.

We're partial to the Mario.

But the Magritte is also magnifique.
via Mac Pro Is Tumblr

Inspired by the Magritte, we also thought we'd make a humble contribution to the collection.

Photoshop skills have declined

Risible or remarkable, the new Pro's design is innovative, but perhaps not entirely unprecedented. Amazon Japan sells a trashcan that bears more than a passing resemblance to Apple's powerful new desktop.

trash

In a savvy bit of marketing, the company tweeted a warning that the trash can ? which sells for roughly $36.50 ? was not Apple's newly announced computer. That tweet was retweeted more than 13,500 times, with 3,026 favorites, some of which may very well have led to a few sales.

Finally, keen eyes at The Mac Observer have noted the new Mac Pro's similarity to the cylindrical entrance of Apple's Shanghai retail store. The diminutive desktop also looks somewhat like a scaled-down Cray I supercomputer. The Observer post notes that Cray I buyers would have paid $8.8 million back in 1976 for its 160 megaflops (floating operations per second) of power, whereas the Mac Pro will cost in the thousands of dollars, delivering 7.5 teraflops of computational power, about 47,000 times faster.

glass and stuff
Cray images via Myrnet.com
post #2 of 109
La-a-a-ame
post #3 of 109
post #4 of 109

Except everyone who hates the design secretly wants one

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

post #5 of 109
Well, when you choose a basic geometric shape like a cylinder... you give the pundits a lot of mileage.
post #6 of 109
When they can't give credible criticism, people resort to childish name-calling and insults.

So in that perspective, it's a success.

I'm waiting for the first copycat to validate that this is indeed a valid concept.
post #7 of 109
This was my first thought:

http://flic.kr/p/eMjQQC

"The New Mac Pro: Designed by Edison in New Jersey!"
post #8 of 109
The comparison to the Cray is the only rational one as they share design features/choices that make both of them the same shape.
post #9 of 109
I want that sea lion mod so bad.
post #10 of 109

Why is this even an article?

There are many mocking iOS 7 yet there's no separate article for that (nor should there be).

The new Mac Pro looks like an aluminum trash can, we all already knew that.

post #11 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's ultra-minimalist design for the new Mac Pro may have drawn "oohs" and "aahs" from admirers, but that hasn't stopped the Internet from sending up the powerful new desktop in a number of amusing manipulated images.

That's hardly news. The Apple haters have been doing this with every product Apple has made for decades. They don't have any vision of their own and don't understand Apple's drive for simplicity and quality, so they criticize.

Best to simply ignore it. Giving them attention only encourages them.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #12 of 109
Not a fan of the design. It will lead to mess of wires on the desk (think octopus). http://www.deltaflow.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/imac_vs_dell-1.jpg I would have preferred the current Mac Pro design with new parts. At least it would have been replaceable parts (GPU etc...). There would have been more room for RAM and storage with the all new Flash parts, PCI slots etc... That would have been a beast of a machine. But instead Apple released the all new Mac Canister. Its basically a dust vacuum sucking up all the dust from the bottom up! Oh and forget about putting it on the carpet, thats a fire hazard!
post #13 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

There are many mocking iOS 7 yet there's no separate article for that (nor should there be).

Maybe you are looking at it wrong. I think they look like turbojet accelerators that will propel you into parallel universe if you get too close. 

post #14 of 109

There was the same response to the original Macintosh, the original iMac, the G3 Tower, the "sunflower" iMac, and the G4 Cube. And except for the Cube, every one of those designs were successful. And the only problem with the Cube was it was over priced.

Let the haters have their fun. I admit, I find some of the pics cute. But eventually the joke will blow over and we'll be left with another revolutionary computer.

NW '98
"Everything works, in theory..."
NW '98
"Everything works, in theory..."
post #15 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

La-a-a-ame

Totally.

post #16 of 109

Those are pretty good. I'm not so uptight that I can't relax at a good joke.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

post #17 of 109
Sales of that trash can are going to go through the roof!
post #18 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

When they can't give credible criticism, people resort to childish name-calling and insults.

So in that perspective, it's a success.

I'm waiting for the first copycat to validate that this is indeed a valid concept.

That would be amusing. But given how computer companies throw anything against the wall to see if it sticks, what matters is if they stick with it. It took at least a decade for AIO computers to be a significant segment outside of Macs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3r0 View Post

Not a fan of the design. It will lead to mess of wires on the desk (think octopus). http://www.deltaflow.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/imac_vs_dell-1.jpg I would have preferred the current Mac Pro design with new parts. At least it would have been replaceable parts (GPU etc...). There would have been more room for RAM and storage with the all new Flash parts, PCI slots etc... That would have been a beast of a machine. But instead Apple released the all new Mac Canister. Its basically a dust vacuum sucking up all the dust from the bottom up! Oh and forget about putting it on the carpet, thats a fire hazard!

I don't see how it's a fire hazard.

I wish it had more RAM slots and more storage slots. Given how small the mini-PCIe cards are, they could have included six slots.

I wouldn't be surprised if Newertek made an HDD riser for it, like their miniStack.
post #19 of 109
Everyone here had th trash can thought pop I their head and chuckled a little. The people who keep repeating it are more than a little disturbed.
post #20 of 109
Quote:

Because some idiot with a Dell sucks at cable management we can't have new product designs? If you want to make it like the old pro, stick it in a metal box and run all the wires there. Putting spinning disks in a separate enclosure is a much better thermal design, but if you like it the old way, the new pro is small enough to accommodate your desire.
post #21 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Everyone here had th trash can thought pop I their head and chuckled a little. The people who keep repeating it are more than a little disturbed.

It actually reminds me of a garbage disposal unit.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #22 of 109
And we all know that Mac Pro will be the most imitated form factor in PC industry during the next 2 years.
post #23 of 109
When it debuted the iPad got similar treatment for it's name. That didn't last very long, however, as people realised how good a product it actually was.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #24 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's hardly news. The Apple haters have been doing this with every product Apple has made for decades. They don't have any vision of their own and don't understand Apple's drive for simplicity and quality, so they criticize.

Best to simply ignore it. Giving them attention only encourages them.

I don't know about that. I actually think some of the images are funny and appear to be meant in good humor. Just look at all of the Superbowl blackout images that were generated before the lights even came back on. I don't think any of those were truly criticisms either.
post #25 of 109
Quote:

It's a pro machine.  It's not intended for your rec-room.  

I'd like to see someone come out with a drive array for it and a custom desk for both to fit into before I buy it for my home, or maybe some kind of drive array that stacks underneath the main cylinder, but the pros that it was actually built for won't care about that.  It's only people like you and me trying to use it for a desktop replacement that will have problems with the design. 

I'm thinking I might still be able to use the thing if I move all my storage to NAS's around the house, then it's just the cylinder and a monitor on a nice sleek desk. 

post #26 of 109
Quote:

Not a fan of the design. It will lead to mess of wires on the desk (think octopus). http://www.deltaflow.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/imac_vs_dell-1.jpg I would have preferred the current Mac Pro design with new parts.

I'm not sure I follow your 'mess of wires' statement - especially when you offer a picture that compares a desktop to an iMac to illustrate your point? 

I have an iMac in my living room that is used for surfing and email primarily that has a single A/C plug and a keyboard / mouse cable that is very clean wire-wise, but I also have a Mac Pro in my music room along with a Pro Tools HDX rig where EVERY port and card slot is being used for something.  As others have stated; a Mac Pro is not something that a casual user might need to or want to spend money on for a lot of reasons. 

Just like my current Mac Pro, I suspect that my next Mac Pro / Pro Tools setup will have many cables and devices connected to it.  In my case, wires and things hanging off the back and front of my Mac Pro go with the territory. So how is this new design any different than my current Mac Pro design?

post #27 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

When it debuted the iPad got similar treatment for it's name. That didn't last very long, however, as people realised how good a product it actually was.

Yep, the feminine napkin jokes abruptly stopped after the first sales figures were released. Then the haters had to take a deep breath, gulp, and start talking about how tablets had been around for years, and how the next Android tablet would kill the iPad. They are so predictable.

post #28 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Indeed.  "Cylinder looks like a cylinder." 

Let's compare it to every other cylindrical object in existence.  1rolleyes.gif 1hmm.gif

post #29 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I'd like to see someone come out with a drive array for it and a custom desk for both to fit into before I buy it for my home, or maybe some kind of drive array that stacks underneath the main cylinder, but the pros that it was actually built for won't care about that.  It's only people like you and me trying to use it for a desktop replacement that will have problems with the design. 

The problem with the cylindrical design is that the only direction you can vent the fans is up. If you stacked it on top of another cylinder such as a disk array there is nowhere to vent its fans. With the more traditional cubiod design, all venting points to the rear and therefore peripherals can be stacked. The traditional shape also lends itself to datacenter style racking where you have a hot aisle and a cold aisle.

Edited by mstone - 6/14/13 at 3:53pm

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #30 of 109

The black cylinder doesn't excite me, however I really like the deep emerald green tone applied in one of the images of the article, and could easily see THAT on my desk (sans Mario).  A deep ruby red tone or deep amethyst purple would look well also.  I instantly liked the HAL image, too, but realize that wouldn't work because of blocking the air vent.  Nice idea tho'.

post #31 of 109
Everybody who doesn't like the design just needs to chill out and have a cup of coffee:

Even Call of Duty dog likes it:

and if you're upset about it...

(or really happy about it)
post #32 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

At first I kind of associated it to a circular version of the "2001" film 'monolith'. Then I found out it was only 10" tall.

I didn't think 'trash can' until everyone else started projecting that association onto it. That shape is clearly a good design on many levels, for many applications. 

Most of this 'noise' reminds me of the hubbub when the iPad was announced… poking fun at the name, then the product itself.

I'm sure the Mac Pro won't ever be as mainstream as the iPad (although wouldn't it be just like Apple to give it a consumer-level entry price that sends sales through the roof), but it will still outlive the mockery and take its place as a respected device. 

Or not… ;)

post #33 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Sales of that trash can are going to go through the roof!

I want to buy one and stick an apple decal on the side of it :D

post #34 of 109
Quote:

Dude, you are clearly over thinking it, and doing that with little basis in actual knowledge of the product… please, stop. It just makes you look foolish.

That said, if you really think you have a "better design", draw it up and submit it. I'd love to see a rendering of your idea. You know, the one that incorporates the same levels of engineering and performance while enabling all those "better options"… 

Fire hazard and dust vacuum…? Yeah, right, Apple is clearly ignoring all those 'glaring realities' in service to the need to make it look like a waste bin.

post #35 of 109
I like it fine. But I don't think it will be imitated because the market for desktop computers is shrinking so quickly. There is little incentive for PC makers to compete anymore by being innovative. All-in-Ones (mostly iMacs) have sucked most of the air out of what's left of the consumer market, and pros who need high-powered towers will either buy this if they are Mac shops, or beige box PCs if they're not. Whiz-bang designs are not going to bring many PCers over to the Mac side or vice-versa. Just not enough market to bother competing over. Only exception is gamer machines like Alienware, but Apple ceded that niche market to PC long ago.

All the innovation and competition is in handhelds going forward.

The new PowerMac Pro is Apple's marquee machine. More symbolic and about bragging rights than about market share.
Edited by Robin Huber - 6/14/13 at 4:56pm
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #36 of 109

I really like the Darth Vader one, that would be cool.

post #37 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by erann View Post

And we all know that Mac Pro will be the most imitated form factor in PC industry during the next 2 years.

Exactly. And if you point this out, PC apologists will say "everyone copies from everyone else!" Or "so Apple thinks it invented the cylinder huh?"

I expect these to show up on fashionable desks in movies and TV shows. It's what Tony Stark would use.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #38 of 109
I wonder how many people realize that the shape of the Cray and the shape of the Pro are similar for the same reason? Both are designed for efficient cooling.

This is what people who whine about lack of internal hard drives don't get-- this is a very powerful machine, designed to be a powerful machine.

Hard drives are commodity.... but a well designed CPU 2 GPU core like this is not something you can get from PC dudes.
post #39 of 109
What no feminine product jokes?

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #40 of 109

Looks like a black Jet Engine to me.

I wonder of it runs without the outer shell? That would look bad-ass.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › New Mac Pro's radical design draws admiration, criticism via Photoshop