or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › New Mac Pro's radical design draws admiration, criticism via Photoshop

New Mac Pro's radical design draws admiration, criticism via Photoshop - Page 2

post #41 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Looks like a black Jet Engine to me.

I wonder of it runs without the outer shell? That would look bad-ass.

That would look bad-ass.

post #42 of 109
I think we all need to be able to laugh at ourselves and our insanely great passion for Apple from time to time.
post #43 of 109

if your stupid enough to put this on a floor to begin with, you deserve what you get. The small form factor says to me: Desktop! My current mac pro sits on my file cabinet to limit dust, make access to the side panel easier and have access to the connectors on the back. This new version would save me a lot of room! Even taking into account acquiring enclosures for my hard drives. The superdrive i have for my wife's macbook air just sits in a drawer for those rare times i need an optical drive!

post #44 of 109
That Magritte parody is inspired!
post #45 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's ultra-minimalist design for the new Mac Pro may have drawn "oohs" and "aahs" from admirers, but that hasn't stopped the Internet from sending up the powerful new desktop in a number of amusing manipulated images.

stovepipe

Revealed on Monday as part of the Worldwide Developer Conference keynote, the Mac Pro wowed attendees and viewers watching online with its spare, cylindrical look. The bold design drew immediate praise from many tech commentators, who had been awaiting a refresh of Apple's most powerful desktop for some time.

The Independent called the new workstation "a bombshell of beautiful design and raw power," noting that the genius of the new look isn't just skin deep: that cylindrical shape works to improve airflow across components, cooling the device without the need for multiple heat-sinks.

In something of a backhanded compliment, CNN called the new Mac "the beautiful new Apple computer most people won't buy". The same article, though, said the Pro was "a design marvel... that bears little resemblance to computers as we've traditionally imagined them.

Even Gizmodo ? always cautious in its Apple praise since a dust-up with the iPhone maker three years ago ? hailed the "brilliant insanity" behind its design, saying it was the type of design only a company like Apple could produce.

Notably, most reports made reference to Apple marketing chief Phillip Schiller's now famous on-stage utterance in defense of the power of Apple's design. "Can't innovate anymore, my ass," Schiller quipped after revealing the new form factor.

And while the tech press and design aficionados seem to have fallen in love, the always irreverent Internet has already provided the requisite snark and mockery to perhaps bring the discussion back down to earth. Shortly after its unveiling, a wave of Tumblrs and forum threads riffed on the new Pro's design, turning it into a number of other things.

For the benefit of our readers, of course, AppleInsider has assembled a collection of the best of these Pro parodies.

We're partial to the Mario.

But the Magritte is also magnifique.
via Mac Pro Is Tumblr

Inspired by the Magritte, we also thought we'd make a humble contribution to the collection.

Photoshop skills have declined

Risible or remarkable, the new Pro's design is innovative, but perhaps not entirely unprecedented. Amazon Japan sells a trashcan that bears more than a passing resemblance to Apple's powerful new desktop.

trash

In a savvy bit of marketing, the company tweeted a warning that the trash can ? which sells for roughly $36.50 ? was not Apple's newly announced computer. That tweet was retweeted more than 13,500 times, with 3,026 favorites, some of which may very well have led to a few sales.

Finally, keen eyes at The Mac Observer have noted the new Mac Pro's similarity to the cylindrical entrance of Apple's Shanghai retail store. The diminutive desktop also looks somewhat like a scaled-down Cray I supercomputer. The Observer post notes that Cray I buyers would have paid $8.8 million back in 1976 for its 160 megaflops (floating operations per second) of power, whereas the Mac Pro will cost in the thousands of dollars, delivering 7.5 teraflops of computational power, about 47,000 times faster.

glass and stuff
Cray images via Myrnet.com
1)Trash can look is first thought
2)Row 2 of the pictures seem more realistic with first "upgrade";2nd advertising sea lion if it were real;3rd if I had a computer like that power that would wirelessly use iPhones, iPads as screen for only $200 more than when it is released, its worth a top hat. Oh and there price estimates difference for it by my estimate 1236 times a year estimate in value, also that meaning which also means if they were still willing for it in these years 10 million in 1 year at rating in modern money 413.6 billion dollars (under 3 times apples cash) so it is substantial power comparison in value!
post #46 of 109

Come on GTR, let's see your one...

post #47 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Come on GTR, let's see your one...

This is very embarrassing, but you did ask...

Apple Products: So good that their ‘faulty' products outsell competitor’s faultless ones...
Apple Products: So good that their ‘faulty' products outsell competitor’s faultless ones...
post #48 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Wow, you really *are* excited about the new Mac Pro!

:)

post #49 of 109
Best article ever!
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
post #50 of 109
Quote:

:)

Aren't we all?

1wink.gif

post #51 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I expect these to show up on fashionable desks in movies and TV shows. It's what Tony Stark would use.

that's what i thought when i first saw it, this beast is of no use to me (or shall i say i'm not useful for this machine :) ) but still i would want one if its in my price range.

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

post #52 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Looks like a black Jet Engine to me.

I wonder of it runs without the outer shell? That would look bad-ass.

I would actually love to see a clear neoprene case for it. When I was in Japan in 99 I bought a clear case for my Powerbook 2400c as well as a clear blue keyboard and a G3 400 Mhz card. Man I loved that laptop, should have never sold it. I still have my Powerbook 100, it's in perfect condition, I also have 4 new batteries and powersupply still in the box. I still use it when I need to type up reports or user manuals, love that keyboard.

Edited by Relic - 6/15/13 at 12:07am
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #53 of 109
I seriously doubt the sales of this device will ever be meaningful to Apple's bottom-line, since its a pretty niche product
post #54 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutykamu View Post

that's what i thought when i first saw it, this beast is of no use to me (or shall i say i'm not useful for this machine :) ) but still i would want one if its in my price range.

Are you Iron Woman?

Otherwise this may exceed your processing requirements.

1wink.gif

post #55 of 109
Quote:

Are you Iron Woman?

Otherwise this may exceed your processing requirements.

1wink.gif

Ha, good one.
I'm a 28 years old man. Not the iron man though.

my way or the highway...

my way or the highway...

post #56 of 109
There will obviously be an expansion riser that the Mac Pro will sit on, as long as it's not a pair of balls then we should be ok.
post #57 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

There will obviously be an expansion riser that the Mac Pro will sit on, as long as it's not a pair of balls then we should be ok.

I'm reckoning that before my comment gets posted someone will post a Photoshop image of the new MacPro with a pair of spherical speakers. Didn't JBL make something like that?

And regarding the previous image of the two "extended" MacPros, that is exactly what I expect to see from Samsung who will work feverishly to get their version to market first so they can claim that Apple copied them.

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

post #58 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Those are pretty good. I'm not so uptight that I can't relax at a good joke.

They're funny, aren't they?

People calling others haters for these humorous digs not only have no sense of humor, but display total blinders and therefore little credibility in their perspective.
post #59 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Exactly. And if you point this out, PC apologists will say "everyone copies from everyone else!" Or "so Apple thinks it invented the cylinder huh?"

I expect these to show up on fashionable desks in movies and TV shows. It's what Tony Stark would use.

Indeed, that's a piece of Iron Man's thigh. Have a sense of humor, man.
post #60 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

I seriously doubt the sales of this device will ever be meaningful to Apple's bottom-line, since its a pretty niche product
True that. Yet they're not only releasing a new design but are investing in building it in the US. Respect.
post #61 of 109
Quote:

Quote:

1smile.gif

Reads to me that GTR was excited by your invitation. Get a room, you two. 1wink.gif
post #62 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Reads to me that GTR was excited by your invitation. Get a room, you two. 1wink.gif

GTR does clever and funny pics on many threads, so this was a logical thread for him to comment on, so I asked...

Unfortunately I did not choose my wording carefully enough so he rightfully gave me sh*t about it. 

Sorry mate it's not gay banter it's just him using humour to keep me on my toes.
post #63 of 109

Edited by nethan9 - 6/15/13 at 6:33am
post #64 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by nethan9 View Post

GOSH. DANG. IT.

I JUST remembered the cheese grater stuff from a decade ago and was surprised that no no one had mentioned it yet. I wanted to be the first. 1tongue.gif

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #65 of 109
Lighten up people its only a bit of humorous digging. It doesn't stop the new Mac Pro from being an great bit of design.
post #66 of 109
Quote:

I would never say never, which is the same as your "seriously doubt that ever."

It's possible that many people, amateurs and pros, will be dealing with 4K video in the future, as well as two streams of 4K video for 3D.

The case design with its thermal management is the main innovation here, so it's possible that Apple is looking to develop a line of high-powered video editing or real-time stereo video streaming machines using this case design, maybe with less capability than this first (meant to be convincing) demonstration of the form factor.

In other words, machines based on this design could become mainstream within a few years.
Edited by Flaneur - 6/15/13 at 8:33am
post #67 of 109
Quote:

GTR does clever and funny pics on many threads, so this was a logical thread for him to comment on, so I asked...

Unfortunately I did not choose my wording carefully enough so he rightfully gave me sh*t about it. 

Sorry mate it's not gay banter it's just him using humour to keep me on my toes.
I was teasing.
post #68 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

It's possible that many people, amateurs and pros, will be dealing with 4K video in the future, as well as two streams of 4K video for 3D.

The case design with its thermal management is the main innovation here, so it's possible that Apple is looking to develop a line of high-powered video editing or real-time stereo video streaming machines using this case design, maybe with less capability than this first (meant to be convincing) demonstration of the form factor.

In other words, machines based on this design could become mainstream within a few years.

The case is not truly part of the thermal management.
post #69 of 109
Quote:

Probably not but the average selling price is high and the margins are high. The typical volume for these would be about 250k per quarter and the sales volume is weighted towards the lower end so say the average selling price is $3.5k (it has to be above $2.5k because not everyone buys the lowest models but it falls off quite sharply) so that makes $875m with 25% net margin = $219m.

That's the volume that would be expected of the old model and also net margins. Take into consideration the publicity around this, the new dual-GPU design and the fact that they'll save on shipping due to the much lower weight (people can probably even buy one in store and carry it home), that could easily push net profits up 50% or so to $300m+. Relative to the $9-13b, it's small but it helps and it's nice that they decided to update it this way. This will boost sales of Thunderbolt peripherals, which drives prices down for everyone.

It gives them the opportunity to come out with a Retina Thunderbolt 2 display, which wouldn't have quite the same appeal if they kept with the old design because 3rd party GPUs couldn't all run them. By controlling the GPUs this way, they can ensure that everyone gets support and that allows them to hit lower price points than the competition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic 
I would actually love to see a clear neoprene case for it.

I think a few people will be modding these. There has to be an R2D2 one:

The wheels will help spin it round and they can have a webcam on the top. As long as they leave enough holes for the heat to get out.
post #70 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

The case is not truly part of the thermal management.

Suppose we call it the tubular architecture. Would that work?

Edit: Taking a second look at it, it's clear to me that the outer case manages the airflow across the outer side of the boards, while the triangular inner heatsink manages the inner flow. The inner is more important, but the outer is probably critical as well.

In other words there would be hotspots, areas of lazy airflow, and general overheating if you ran it for extended periods without the outer case.
Edited by Flaneur - 6/15/13 at 10:10am
post #71 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitewing98 View Post

There was the same response to the original Macintosh, the original iMac, the G3 Tower, the "sunflower" iMac, and the G4 Cube. And except for the Cube, every one of those designs were successful. And the only problem with the Cube was it was over priced.

Let the haters have their fun. I admit, I find some of the pics cute. But eventually the joke will blow over and we'll be left with another revolutionary computer.

I figure that after they are done making fun of it, then LIKE ALL THE OTHER TIMES, Dell, Compaq and Acer will follow suit and start making cylinders with single heat sinks and fans on a central spire.

Yes, if you add all your peripherals in, it will look like a messy squid, but I'm guessing if someone is an actual PRO user and budgets money, they'll be using TB2 connectors to monitors and drives. It's not perfect for connectors but we have to start somewhere.

post #72 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

This is about the only system actually CAPABLE of dual real-time 4K streams. It's a frickin' monster. 70 teraflops of Graphics power? And the internal memory speeds to RAM and hard drive are double any top of the end offerings from other companies. Someone was suggesting more banks for the SSD and memory but it's likely Apple has tweaked out the best layout their engineers could conceive of and there isn't a lot of playing around with having slots and "RAIDing" the Hard Drive since it's PCI-E instead of SATA attached -- it likely cannot offer any more throughput with the hardware available. It seems designed around getting the most throughput with current technology so there isn't any improvement until components get better.

post #73 of 109
It looks like a black garbage can, but I could still use one.
post #74 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It's a pro machine.  It's not intended for your rec-room.  

I'd like to see someone come out with a drive array for it and a custom desk for both to fit into before I buy it for my home, or maybe some kind of drive array that stacks underneath the main cylinder, but the pros that it was actually built for won't care about that.  It's only people like you and me trying to use it for a desktop replacement that will have problems with the design. 

I'm thinking I might still be able to use the thing if I move all my storage to NAS's around the house, then it's just the cylinder and a monitor on a nice sleek desk. 

It could be a nice domestic desktop computer if they release a model with less expensive and more consumer oriented GPU'S.  They are using 2 CAD optimize and very expensive GPU's that are sub-part for anything other than video editing and CAD.  For 1/4 of the price you could put more powerful GPU'S in there and those machines would be great for gamers who need better GPU's than iMac can provide.

For example, a pair of GTX 770 or Radeon 7970 would be a lot less expensive and much more suitable options for gamers. I understand the goal of this machine is video editing and cad, but with just this change they could also offer a gamer beast. The top of the line fire pro GPU gives about the same 3D benchmark has the GTX 680mx you can get in high end imacs: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=FirePro+W8000&id=2427

With those 2 options, they would cover pretty much the entire desktop market needs.  All the other expansion needs could be done through the thunderbolts cables.

I would also like to see Apple make a line of thunderbolt GPU's for there imac and laptop lines.  Using an external casing and a desktop GPU's is not the best choice because of the limitations of the thunderbolt, size, power requirement, drivers, hot swaps  and installation. If Apple would used a mobile chip with lots of memory they could come up with a nice plug and play GPU's at around $500 that would worked without problems.

From the components I see in there, I guess with the actual configurations the price of this machine will be around 5k, depending mostly on the GPU's which can be up to $1500 each.

Edited by herbapou - 6/15/13 at 12:39pm
post #75 of 109
I think the "support for 4k display" means a new thinner 4k thunderbolt 2 display is coming

Talking about this take this display and change its features for a Apple TV would be great!
post #76 of 109

The thing that bothers me is that some idiot is going to produce a camp stove type stand for the new Mac Pro.

post #77 of 109
post #78 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

This is about the only system actually CAPABLE of dual real-time 4K streams. It's a frickin' monster. 70 teraflops of Graphics power? And the internal memory speeds to RAM and hard drive are double any top of the end offerings from other companies. Someone was suggesting more banks for the SSD and memory but it's likely Apple has tweaked out the best layout their engineers could conceive of and there isn't a lot of playing around with having slots and "RAIDing" the Hard Drive since it's PCI-E instead of SATA attached -- it likely cannot offer any more throughput with the hardware available. It seems designed around getting the most throughput with current technology so there isn't any improvement until components get better.

Thanks for this perspective.
post #79 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessi View Post

I wonder how many people realize that the shape of the Cray and the shape of the Pro are similar for the same reason? Both are designed for efficient cooling.

Nope. The Cray was designed this way to keep the wiring short. And for the new Mac Pro - it is of course much easier to cool a bigger enclosure. So Apple first decided (for whatever reasons) to make the new Pro tiny and then had to solve the problem of cooling such a small computer. Nice design, but the problem solved is self-inflicted. The old Pro design was perfectly capable of powering and cooling the new components as is every decent PC.

post #80 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's hardly news. The Apple haters have been doing this with every product Apple has made for decades. They don't have any vision of their own and don't understand Apple's drive for simplicity and quality, so they criticize.

Best to simply ignore it. Giving them attention only encourages them.

Thank you so much for your decades of service to Apple.  Where would Apple be without you to defend everything they do?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › New Mac Pro's radical design draws admiration, criticism via Photoshop