or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft once again uses Siri to hawk Windows 8 tablets

Microsoft once again uses Siri to hawk Windows 8 tablets

post #1 of 65
In yet another ad meant to sway new tablet buyers away from Apple, and toward the brave new world of Windows 8, Microsoft has once again enlisted Siri to pitch their product, this time for Dell's XPS 10 tablet.

Microsoft Ad

In 30 seconds, Microsoft's ad pitches some of the benefits of owning a Windows 8 tablet over an iPad running iOS, such as the ability to pinch to zoom to see more apps on the home screen, built-in SD card compatibility, running two apps on the same display, and a lower price. Redmond not only enlists Apple?s intelligent virtual assistant to push their own product in this ribbing ad, it also mimics Apple?s own advertising style, showing two tablets side by side against a backdrop of white.

The commercial begins with Microsoft pointing out that users can?t pinch on the home screen to see multiple pages of apps.

?I?m sorry, I can?t zoom like that,? says the soon-to-be updated Siri, in a robotic monotone.

The Dell tablet user then slides in an SD card from their camera, while the same action on the iPad prompts Siri to protest, ?You can?t put an SD card there, or there, or there.?

She then compliments Windows 8?s ability to run two apps on the same screen before lamenting about the iPad's $599 price tag, which is $200 more than the Dell XPS 10?s current special offer price of $399. What the ad doesn?t mention is that the XPS 10 normally starts at $449 when it?s not on sale.

These parody ads are becoming common for the Microsoft, which has not only mocked Apple and Siri, but also Android and Samsung in its take on the smartphone war, a fight in which Windows Phone is all but absent.

The timing of the most recent commercial is particularly interesting.

Microsoft released Office 365 Mobile for iPhone earlier today, but left both the iPad and Android devices in the cold. This can be been seen as an attempt to drive more Windows 8 tablets sales which, as seen in a previous and similar ad, is capable of running PowerPoint.

There?s also the old argument that Windows 8 only boasts a library of 65,000 apps or so, while iOS carried more than 250,000 as of July 2012. What Microsoft wants customers to remember, of course, is that Office can?t be found in Apple?s expansive collection.
post #2 of 65
Huh, I didn't think about that the last time. "If you have to use your competitor's product to sell yours..." lol.gif

They really should have gone back to the "pitting Apple against Samsung" vibe. Maybe it cost too much to get the royalties to say the competing products' names.
post #3 of 65

I wonder if you can copyright a synthesized voice and if so why didn't Apple do it?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #4 of 65
Oh ms, you have sunk so so low. Give it up already. No-one will buy these. Ever.

Gatwick airport in London has this giant Lenovo advert atm, some sort of convertible windows tablet. Not only does it have a laptop mode and a tablet mode... but a "stand" mode (keyboard facing down, ytf!?!) and... Wait for it... "TENT MODE" where it is stood in an A-frame. Hilarious. How in any way those latter two help, I'll never know. Ms and partners are very much doing the same old tablet thing from 10years ago. How do they not catch on. Baffling.
post #5 of 65
The word is `hock.'
post #6 of 65
They have to do it a 2nd time.

How else are they going to get to "the charm"?

Winning!!!!!!
post #7 of 65
I can see the reactions now.
Hmm, which one to go for? The windows one has a slightly bigger screen. Oh wait, Apple's one can speak? I'll go for that one. 1biggrin.gif
post #8 of 65
Wait, there's enough win8 apps to fill multiple pages?
post #9 of 65
This is lame. Who even wants to "zoom" the iOS home screen, it has no purpose.

All they really got is that it's ... "cheaper!"

Sad.
post #10 of 65
1)Sd cards are supported (via adapter)
2)Wait till IOS 7 for that multitasking experience
3)Dual apps is not that much needed
post #11 of 65
This will be a very successful campaign, I am sure. Killer idea.
/s
post #12 of 65

It was funny the first time but now it is just dumb.  If you like the metro interface then that would be something but not everyone does.  Microsoft lowering their prices for a limited time seems desperate.  They already did the "Two apps at once bit." so I guess that pony has no more tricks.  1smoking.gif

post #13 of 65
Hey Microsoft... you know the iPad is a very iconic device, right? It's probably one of the most recognized devices in the world.

And when you show it on the screen, even for a second, people will instantly say "iPad" in their heads.

No matter what the voiceover says... people think "iPad and some other unknown device"

Just like your last Windows Phone commercial... the only thing people remember is this guy:

Dear Microsoft... thanks for promoting Apple!
post #14 of 65
Microsoft doesn't understand that its about functionality, and they just dont have it. The always start projects and forget about them. They are what you call an the creators of obsolete.
post #15 of 65
When your ads are as much about highlighting what your competitor can't do as they are what you can, you probably don't have a great product.
post #16 of 65

Wow that is a bad ad...

Aside from trying to denigrate the competition and kind of failing (Why not just script it this way: "The iPad can talk!? That's cool…!"), if all they've got is "pinch to see app icon tray", a micro-SD slot, a "two apps at once" sidebar (can someone give me a good, FUNCTIONAL example of how this would be really useful? JUST one??), and a "cheaper price" (most people DO understand that you get what you pay for), then they haven't got much.

Which pretty much explains why this ad is so bad and misdirected. Pretty sad, really.

Most interesting to me is, it's at a time when a) Apple has just announced some major improvements and changes to iOS (that work better than anything produced by MS in years), and b) at a time when the brand aesthetic of Apple is reaching into user "hearts and lives", MS degrades the message into a trite, snarky conversation about a few "missing features".

If I were heading MS, I'd fire Ballmer and the ad agency doing their marketing, and reboot. They pretty desperately need it.

post #17 of 65
Microsoft is being like the bully on the block. Can't build itself up without tearing someone else down.
post #18 of 65

Apple should air a few commercial of Balmer jumping around the stage screaming and wheezing "Developers, developers, developers..." and a montage of all his other ape-like antics. At the very end, Siri says "Yeah.....we can't do that either"

“What would I do? I’d shut Apple down and give the money back to the shareholders”

Michael Dell - 1997

“What would I do? I’d shut Apple down and give the money back to the shareholders”

Michael Dell - 1997

post #19 of 65

You want to know what else is not cool:

Surface RT
The 32 GB Surface RT has approximately 15 GB storage available for user content
The 64 GB Surface RT has approximately 45 GB storage available for user content

Surface Pro
The 64 GB Surface Pro has approximately 28 GB storage available for user content
The 128 GB Surface Pro has approximately 85 GB storage available for user content
(source: Microsoft - http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-US/storage)

Michael Dell - 1997

Michael Dell - 1997

post #20 of 65

What the F is that a commercial for? Windows Tablet? a Dell XP... something? Dell.com? Microsoft? The iPad?

post #21 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

Apple should air a few commercial of Balmer jumping around the stage screaming and wheezing "Developers, developers, developers..." and a montage of all his other ape-like antics. At the very end, Siri says "Yeah.....we can't do that either"

siri does know to take their advert with a grain of salt ...

(yes, i edited my name from the screenshot)
post #22 of 65
The whole Bing as default search engine for Siri thing sure paid off I see...
post #23 of 65
Thumbs-up to every post in this thread 👍
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
post #24 of 65

Microsoft likes shooting themselves in the foot.

post #25 of 65
Microsoft is desperate and running scared and trying to get some attention like this article on ai.
Notice how they responded quickly to iWorks for iCloud by releasing Office 365 for iOS.

The iOS platform is poised to leave all others in the dust with Automobile integration, iCloud, iTunes, etc.... Cheap imitations will be years too late and will fail.

I can't wait for the more natural new voices in SIRI.
post #26 of 65
There is probably a whole generation out there saying .."What is a Microsoft?"
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
post #27 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Huh, I didn't think about that the last time. "If you have to use your competitor's product to sell yours..." lol.gif

Erm, remember all those 'I'm a PC' ads in which Apple did precisely that? The underdog pitches against the market leader, that's how it works. These ads are smart, cheeky and funny and if they spur Apple on to step up the pace of product launches and widen the range of options then so much the better. 

post #28 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

There is probably a whole generation out there saying .."What is a Microsoft?"

We've come a long way from the days of having to explain what a Mac was and great Apple is.
post #29 of 65
All quite lovely.

Except for the fact that close to three years on, MS is a non-starter in mobile.
post #30 of 65
Was there any part of the commercial that was wrong?

No wonder AAPL continues to tank.
post #31 of 65

They forgot to mention this in the ad.

post #32 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-UK View Post

Erm, remember all those 'I'm a PC' ads in which Apple did precisely that?

No, sorry, try again. No one using those ads as their argument has ever gotten it right.
post #33 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I wonder if you can copyright a synthesized voice and if so why didn't Apple do it?

I wonder the same thing. And wonder, if it is protected/able IP is the issue perhaps that Apple licenses the voice and therefore can't claim ownership.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #34 of 65
Cool ad lousy product. Maybe it is time for MS to get the hell out of products and software and become an ad agency. But wait - they would need to create three versions of an ad to get it right! Duh!
post #35 of 65
The resolution on this thing is closer to the iPad 2 than the Retina they are comparing its price to.... Convenient
post #36 of 65
Quote:

Erm, remember all those 'I'm a PC' ads in which Apple did precisely that? The underdog pitches against the market leader, that's how it works. These ads are smart, cheeky and funny and if they spur Apple on to step up the pace of product launches and widen the range of options then so much the better. 
If people are thinking iPad will get a file system I think they'll be waiting a long time.
post #37 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

That makes Apple look like the douche.

What they would do is an ad that points out things how many schools etc use iPads. A subtle jab that never directly disses anyone else.

Something perhaps that mentions movie and tv shows and shows the tech them with a message like 'once upon a time they were movie magic, the stuff of dreams. But now the magic is here. In our homes, our schools, our jobs. On planes (showing a pilot using iPad as flight device), trains and automobiles. And the things they can do are nothing short of amazing (perhaps toss in some of those AAC etc type uses in this as well as the whole robotic toys).

They could even flash up some of the mix of titles from the App Store. To highlight the mix.

And then perhaps end with something home video related to tie back the opening comment about movies. Maybe a couple of kids using iMovie to edit something.

THAT is how Apple would do it. Not this taking a dig thing.

post #38 of 65
Quote:

Apple never showed Windows in any of those ads. Hell, they didn't even show a Mac. Apple releases products on its own schedule. It doesn't respond to competitors or release products at trade shows.
post #39 of 65
Quote:

I was never a fan of the "Mac vs PC" ads either, but they were much better. Apple advertising tends to focus on the bigger picture, like not having to deal with viruses, or being easier to set up.
This advert focuses on not having an SD card slot, a problem easy solved with a visit to the Apple Store.
The PC vs Mac ads left me thinking "Wow Apple, that's a bit smug."
This MS ad left me thinking "Jeez Microsoft, is that all you've got?"
post #40 of 65

Well now in foresight, iOS 7 will have multi-tasking .. you CAN pinch to move out of an app, but you need to use all five fingers :) 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft once again uses Siri to hawk Windows 8 tablets