or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Canvas 14 for Mac returning - WOW!!!

Canvas 14 for Mac returning - WOW!!!

post #1 of 13
Canvas Slated to Return to the Mac in 2014

Canvas 3.5.6 for Mac had the best interface ever. Then Canvas 5 ruined the interface and the rest is history...

It will rock again if they do it right now. Hopefully they will do...
post #2 of 13

This is terrific news. I completely agree that Canvas 3.5.6 had just about the best interface ever. Canvas 5 taught me the hard way that it was possible to take a terrific application--Canvas 3.5.x--and totally screw it up. For better or worse, however, even bad Canvas had no real competition--particularly given the fact that I had so many illustrations in the format. This is one of my two reasons for sticking with the application with each subsequent version up to Canvas™ X when ACD Systems, Canvas's new developer withdrew MacOS X development. I continue to stick with it, thus forestalling the completion of my transition to Intel because Canvas™ X is PPC-only.

I had begun to think about running Windows in Parallels for the sole purpose of running Canvas and FrameMaker, my other mission-critical application that does not run on MacOS X past the MacOS X 10.4.11 Classic environment.

I am thrilled that ACD Systems has come to its senses. If only Adobe would gain similar insight and return FrameMaker to the Mac.

post #3 of 13

Yeah! It's great to hear that.  I've been using Canvas X for over 10 years now.  Build 926 does work on Intel machines.  I successfully use it on an Intel core 17 iMac, with a 10.6.8 operating system.  No glitches.  Try it out.

post #4 of 13
Canvas X requires Rosetta in order to run on Intel-based Macs. Rosetta is not available on OS X 10.7 and later.
post #5 of 13

I thought your issue was that you didn't want to switch over to an Intel processor and lose your ability to use Canvas X.  You can't use OS X 7 and later on a PPC processor anyway, so upgrade to an Intel based machine using Snow Leopard until Canvas 14 comes out.  Then install whatever Maverick operating system is available in three or four years from now when Canvas 14 is available.

post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmacari View Post

I thought your issue was that you didn't want to switch over to an Intel processor and lose your ability to use Canvas X.  You can't use OS X 7 and later on a PPC processor anyway, so upgrade to an Intel based machine using Snow Leopard until Canvas 14 comes out.  Then install whatever Maverick operating system is available in three or four years from now when Canvas 14 is available.
Giving advice is not your strong suit. You should have read my entire post before chiming in. If you had, then you would know that I have two applications that have not been ported to Intel-based Macs. FrameMaker is my other application that has not been posted to OS X. The lack of these applications or suitable replacements is why I said that I was considering running Windows under Parallels.

I want to swim across the ocean. You chime in with advice about how to swim half way. Good show.
post #7 of 13

You're welcome for the chiming-in I gave you about Canvas X.  I wasn't trying to solve all of your computer indecisions.  But, I definitely wouldn't advice you to swim across the ocean.  You might get wet.

post #8 of 13

Glad to hear Canvas for the Mac is coming back, too! I have been a Canvas user going back to the 3.5 (Mac) days, too. Easiest GUI. 

Illustrator? Too complicated. CADD? Too much tech.

Canvas? Ahhh, just right. My productivity will soar once again!

post #9 of 13

Unfortunately, I'll believe it when I see it. I would love to have Canvas on a shiny new MacBook Pro. I keep trying new apps to try to replace Canvas, but nothing comes close.

post #10 of 13

This is from the horse's mouth:

Good news on the Canvas Mac front, we've increased the number of developers working on the Mac version now that Canvas 15 for PC has been released, and while we have Canvas X functioning on Mac, we're busy making sure that all the small stuff is working correctly, and hope to begin a closed public beta in spring of 2014.

Canvas for Mac

http://forum.acdsee.com/forum/canvas/326-canvas-for-mac

post #11 of 13

Guys, Could we have some suggestions about the progress on Canvas for Mac from the horse's mouth? I mean, from ACDsee...

post #12 of 13

It was good to hear from AcD they were going to bring Canvas Mac back from the dead but I wouldn't get too excited yet. Look what they did with the Mac version of ACDsee Pro. In 4 years it still doesn't work right and it's orders of magnitude simpler than Canvas. The Mac development team was disbanded and the manager quit. ACD is not a Mac house.

post #13 of 13

My Yosemite (beta) runs Canvas in a Parallels Desktop OSX 10.6 (server) VM.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Canvas 14 for Mac returning - WOW!!!