or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Briefly: Jony Ive's title at Apple shortened to 'SVP of Design'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Briefly: Jony Ive's title at Apple shortened to 'SVP of Design'

post #1 of 52
Thread Starter 
During Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference last week, Jony Ive was shown in a presentation video for iOS 7, but instead of carrying his usual designation of "SVP of Industrial Design," the company shortened the title to simply "SVP of Design."

Ive
Screenshot of Jony Ive's iOS 7 intro at WWDC 2013. | Source: Apple


The new title, which is also reflected on Ive's company bio page, is representative of the executive's new duties as not only Apple's main hardware designer, but also the head of the firm's Human Interface teams.

Ive took over some of the responsibilities held by former iOS chief Scott Forstall, who was ousted from Apple in October of 2012, including the curation of the overall look and feel of the company's mobile operating system.

The so-called "flat" design language set forth by Ive was on of the highlights of Apple's iOS 7 preview.

It is expected that Ive will continue to work with both hardware and software teams at Apple to bring greater parity between future devices' aesthetics and the user interface that powers them.
post #2 of 52
I absolutely hate what he has done to iOS 7.
post #3 of 52

His title should have been "Head of Too Little, Too Late" and then fired for giving us Android/jailbreak level tweaks to functionality and a 2 year old, entirely unoriginal redesign that can't possibly stand for another 5 years.


Edited by autonomousgerm - 6/17/13 at 5:22pm
post #4 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The so-called "flat" design language

This is wrong on so many levels.

O/T: iOS7 is such a fantastic springboard to an exceedingly bright future. It's like the Aqua OSX 10.0 compared to drab NextStep. Can't wait for the engineers to do a couple of feature releases and some under-the-hood Snow/Mountain rewrites!
post #5 of 52
Quote:
The new title, which is also reflected on Ive's company bio page, is representative of the executive's new duties as not only Apple's main hardware designer, but also the head of the firm's Human Interface teams.
So as head of the Human Interface teams, he decides that everything needs to look as simple as patent artwork.
Very little color and as few very thin lines as possible (i.e. Contacts and Calendars).
Just make everything with one button (Play Music, Take Photo, Send Email).
post #6 of 52

Now, if only they'd recognise him as being a Knight Commander of the British Empire...

post #7 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by autonomousgerm View Post

His title should have been "Head of Too Little, Too Late" and then fired for giving us Android/jailbreak level tweaks to functionality and a 2 year old, entirely unoriginal redesign that can't possibly stand for another 5 years.

thanks for your first post. i assume you'll either be sticking with ios 6 when 7 is released, or switching to another brand of phone? or maybe starting your own company so you can wow us with your original work?
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
post #8 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I absolutely hate what he has done to iOS 7.

You're not the only one.

Beta doesn't even begin to describe this.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #9 of 52
I personally am finding iOS 7 on my phone to be a delight. the static screen shot images dont do it justice.

That said with all the complaining, i will be interested to see in, say, 9-12 months time. Will you all have deserted?
William
iPhone 3G 16 / iPhone 3GS 32 / Waiting for a proper rev of iMac..
Reply
William
iPhone 3G 16 / iPhone 3GS 32 / Waiting for a proper rev of iMac..
Reply
post #10 of 52

Agreed.

 

- It looks like the Nokia N9 with a different background. It looks cheap.

 

- The parallax effect is jumpy. It looks good on a video, but not in reality.

 

- The clock from the lock screen and the icons on the menu screen are difficult to see on most backgrounds.

 

- The lines are too fine for older people. Probably looks good on paper, or on a PDF, after you zoom it. Retina display does not mean "hey let's see how small we can make our stuff"! 

 

- Several icons make no sense: game center, settings, passbook, kiosk. And the minimized version of several of them is unreadable: compass, game center.

 

- Several items move independently on the screen, but the effect is jumpy, for example with sms messages.

 

Overall a very poor execution. It very frustrating and stressing to work with this. You want to like it, but it is not likeable.

post #11 of 52
Styled his title eh? Reminds me of that scene in Braveheart where the prince and his friend Phillip are walking around the castle with servants holding mirrors, laughing and posing. And you're like, whoa, shouldn't he be focusing on the serious issues confronting his kingdom? But anyway.
post #12 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by exasperator View Post

Agreed.

- It looks like the Nokia N9 with a different background. It looks cheap.

- The parallax effect is jumpy. It looks good on a video, but not in reality.

- The clock from the lock screen and the icons on the menu screen are difficult to see on most backgrounds.

- The lines are too fine for older people. Probably looks good on paper, or on a PDF, after you zoom it. Retina display does not mean "hey let's see how small we can make our stuff"! 

- Several icons make no sense: game center, settings, passbook, kiosk. And the minimized version of several of them is unreadable: compass, game center.

- Several items move independently on the screen, but the effect is jumpy, for example with sms messages.

Overall a very poor execution. It very frustrating and stressing to work with this. You want to like it, but it is not likeable.
First of all it's in beta and second of all, you must cared some to comment. So thank for supporting this site by commenting and page views. Please move along we got many others waiting. Some are even stuck in traffic underneath the bridge.
On another note, iOS 7 is for sure a different design. Is better than before, or worse? Everybody going to have a different answer to this. Some may like it some may not. It's just how it's go. It's fine for people to share the opinions about the design. But please at least reasonable, and not just be like you don't like it. If you're taking time trying to give your opinion. Then you should not whine and complain, you should give good reasons. You simply or like or YOU don't. But if you're going to take the time post. One might think that you would put just a little more than a list of petty problems that might end up being fixed.

~THE MAC1NT0SH
post #13 of 52
People make it sound like he did this redesign all on his own. 1oyvey.gif

Anyway have fun on iOS 6 or on something else if you hate an unreleased product that bad.
post #14 of 52

Sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow news day.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #15 of 52
Ive should have of stuck to hardware. This version of iOS looks like some type of bland color cartoon show. The icons are ridiculous. I agree that some of them don't make sense. The Passport app looks like some type of documents app and the Settings app looks like a pirate's ship wheel....arrrr

This is the first time I am going to hold out on an iOS release. That is until I am forced into it because of a new hardware purchase.
post #16 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I absolutely hate what he has done to iOS 7.

You're not the only one.

Beta doesn't even begin to describe this.

Ok. So there are a few of you malcontents out there pissed off enough to be constantly whining about how much you dislike iOS7.

We heard you twice the first time.

Suck it up.
post #17 of 52
post #18 of 52

WHAT?!?!?

 

They changed his superimposed title to match his actual title?

 

What the hell is going on at Apple?

post #19 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by exasperator View Post

- The lines are too fine for older people. 

Sheesh. That must be the umpteenth time I've heard this.

Perhaps older people should act their age and wear glasses.
post #20 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


Sheesh. That must be the umpteenth time I've heard this.

Perhaps older people should act their age and wear glasses.

 

Ha!

 

I'm glad you're not head of marketing lol.gif

post #21 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by exasperator View Post

Agreed.

 

- It looks like the Nokia N9 with a different background. It looks cheap.

 

- The parallax effect is jumpy. It looks good on a video, but not in reality.

 

- The clock from the lock screen and the icons on the menu screen are difficult to see on most backgrounds.

 

- The lines are too fine for older people. Probably looks good on paper, or on a PDF, after you zoom it. Retina display does not mean "hey let's see how small we can make our stuff"! 

 

- Several icons make no sense: game center, settings, passbook, kiosk. And the minimized version of several of them is unreadable: compass, game center.

 

- Several items move independently on the screen, but the effect is jumpy, for example with sms messages.

 

Overall a very poor execution. It very frustrating and stressing to work with this. You want to like it, but it is not likeable.

 

If you have the beta give your feedback to Apple.

 

Then the final release will be better for all of us!

post #22 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I absolutely hate what he has done to iOS 7.

 



+1 I'm gonna reserve final judgement for the finished product, but so far, it looks like he needs to go back to hardware design.

post #23 of 52
How much did he get paid for making the lines thinner and removing the gloss layer from the icons? What will they all do for the rest of the year?
post #24 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by autonomousgerm View Post

His title should have been "Head of Too Little, Too Late" and then fired for giving us Android/jailbreak level tweaks to functionality and a 2 year old, entirely unoriginal redesign that can't possibly stand for another 5 years.

 

So what should iOS 7 look like?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #25 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick5 View Post

How much did he get paid for making the lines thinner and removing the gloss layer from the icons? What will they all do for the rest of the year?

 

You actually took the effort of registering to type such a shitty post? There's not a single PIXEL in iOS7 that has remained unchanged. But I'm sure you knew that. 

post #26 of 52

I'd prefer him to be Head of Industrial Design with a focus on the iPhone/iPad/Laptops and let someone else develop a non-Mac Pro/non-iMac desktop variant with new Displays and then the Mac Pro.

 

The Mac Mini is a waste for it's gutless nature as it in no way competes with any of the other lines, especially capabilities wise.

 

The Mac Pro will be a machine that pushes the baseline price up several thousand dollars, yet people keep deluding themselves in thinking the $3k in GPGPUs is somehow going to be put into a baseline of $2400.

 

Apple is eliminating the non-Mac Pro crowd who wants to buy external monitors to a non-AIO and that want to spend something on a solution that isn't the size of a large last season's Airport Extreme base station.

 

On a side note, I feel like sticking a tongue down my mouth every time he comes out on video in a stark white backdrop and puts on that artificially sweet voice about how much we care about design drivel. Everything comes out of him like he's coming down from a two day acid high.

post #27 of 52
The title has been set appropriately, as it should have been from the start. That said, they would do well to avoid releasing betas with such garish gradients in the future.
post #28 of 52
I don't like the new UI, but I've seen a few people running it already who are very happy with it.
Personal preference, I guess.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #29 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Ok. So there are a few of you malcontents out there pissed off enough to be constantly whining about how much you dislike iOS7.

We heard you twice the first time.

Suck it up.

No.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #30 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I'd prefer him to be Head of Industrial Design with a focus on the iPhone/iPad/Laptops and let someone else develop a non-Mac Pro/non-iMac desktop variant with new Displays and then the Mac Pro.

The Mac Mini is a waste for it's gutless nature as it in no way competes with any of the other lines, especially capabilities wise.

The Mac Pro will be a machine that pushes the baseline price up several thousand dollars, yet people keep deluding themselves in thinking the $3k in GPGPUs is somehow going to be put into a baseline of $2400.

Apple is eliminating the non-Mac Pro crowd who wants to buy external monitors to a non-AIO and that want to spend something on a solution that isn't the size of a large last season's Airport Extreme base station.

On a side note, I feel like sticking a tongue down my mouth every time he comes out on video in a stark white backdrop and puts on that artificially sweet voice about how much we care about design drivel. Everything comes out of him like he's coming down from a two day acid high.
You still sore that Scott was fired?
post #31 of 52
The Nokia N9 with Meego looks better IMHO and that was in 3 years ago in 2010.
post #32 of 52
I always wonder why the iphone didn't turn out looking Mac Esque in silver....seems everything is going restyled black with champferred edges 1wink.gif perhaps macs will next year. The 3.1 was black I know.
post #33 of 52
Hmm...looks like there are some hidden features people are finding in iOS 7, like the ability to hide built in apps, create folders within folders, and additional gestures like pinching to close an app folder. I wonder if any of this will ever be available to the public?

http://************/2013/06/17/hidden-settings-show-apple-tested-gesture-folder-enhancements-for-ios-7/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29

settings1.png

settings2.png
post #34 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post


This is wrong on so many levels.

O/T: iOS7 is such a fantastic springboard to an exceedingly bright future. It's like the Aqua OSX 10.0 compared to drab NextStep. Can't wait for the engineers to do a couple of feature releases and some under-the-hood Snow/Mountain rewrites!

The negative comments are grossly unwarranted. I've watched the WWDC Keynote a few times and the current iOS all of a sudden looks old and dated compared to iOS7.

 

Please watch the Keynote. The "flat" description does such a disservice to iOS7. It is more layered than anything else. 

post #35 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

The negative comments are grossly unwarranted. I've watched the WWDC Keynote a few times and the current iOS all of a sudden looks old and dated compared to iOS7.

Please watch the Keynote. The "flat" description does such a disservice to iOS7. It is more layered than anything else. 

Perhaps I was ambiguous, sorry if so. Calling it a "flat" design is completely wrong, it has many levels and is a delight to behold. As a designer, I nearly wet myself with joy at the keynote, it's gorgeous. All this hate has been stirred up by "journalists" like those on The Verge to make headlines or with conflicts of interest, especially those affiliated with Google. And it's obviously a load of BS.
post #36 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post


Perhaps I was ambiguous, sorry if so. Calling it a "flat" design is completely wrong, it has many levels and is a delight to behold. As a designer, I nearly wet myself with joy at the keynote, it's gorgeous. All this hate has been stirred up by "journalists" like those on The Verge to make headlines or with conflicts of interest, especially those affiliated with Google. And it's obviously a load of BS.

Agreed! TimmyDax! :)

post #37 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by eat@me View Post

The Nokia N9 with Meego looks better IMHO and that was in 3 years ago in 2010.

And no doubt everyone who bought one agrees.

 

All three of them.

 

But in reralityworld it looks nothing like the N9:

 

http://www.ravianimator.com/nokia-n9.html


Edited by jfc1138 - 6/18/13 at 8:12am
post #38 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow news day.

Gotta dangle the click bait.

post #39 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I'd prefer him to be Head of Industrial Design with a focus on the iPhone/iPad/Laptops and let someone else develop a non-Mac Pro/non-iMac desktop variant with new Displays and then the Mac Pro.

The Mac Mini is a waste for it's gutless nature as it in no way competes with any of the other lines, especially capabilities wise.

The Mac Pro will be a machine that pushes the baseline price up several thousand dollars, yet people keep deluding themselves in thinking the $3k in GPGPUs is somehow going to be put into a baseline of $2400.

Apple is eliminating the non-Mac Pro crowd who wants to buy external monitors to a non-AIO and that want to spend something on a solution that isn't the size of a large last season's Airport Extreme base station.

On a side note, I feel like sticking a tongue down my mouth every time he comes out on video in a stark white backdrop and puts on that artificially sweet voice about how much we care about design drivel. Everything comes out of him like he's coming down from a two day acid high.

I've always had great respect for your posts but I think you are being a little mean in the last paragraph. Jony has been (as far as I can remember) consistent from day one in his presentations and I for one believe that is the real him, like it or not. You often times quote your personal knowledge of times past, well here is my turn. 1wink.gif I attended the University next to the polytechnic where Jony studied for his Industrial Design degree in Newcastle and my best mate was at the same poly doing the same course as Jony. I have to tell you, my mate, also from the south of England sounded exactly the same when he explained his fiber glass cello he designed. 1biggrin.gif

Regarding the 3K in chips ... ouch. So what is your estimate for an entry model Mac Pro?
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #40 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post


+1 I'm gonna reserve final judgement for the finished product, but so far, it looks like he needs to go back to hardware design.



I will also attempt to keep from being too judgemental, but if the release version of iOS 7 is not a vastly improved piece of software, (hopefully this doesn't come off as over dramatic) I will sell all my AAPL stock. Jony Ive is not a seasoned graphic designer, I can only hope that there is a seasoned professional with a strong voice who will take up the mantle of functional design at Apple or they are in far worse shape than even I imagined. Gods, this is so depressing... I really want to like iOS 7.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Briefly: Jony Ive's title at Apple shortened to 'SVP of Design'