or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Adobe releases major update to Creative Cloud desktop apps
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Adobe releases major update to Creative Cloud desktop apps

post #1 of 68
Thread Starter 
Adobe on Monday updated its subscription-based professional image editing suite, bringing "hundreds" of new features to premiere offerings like Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign, among others.

cc


As with the suite's debut in May, files created with the updated "CC" desktop apps can be shared across platforms and the online creative community Behance via Adobe's Creative Cloud.

?We?ve added a ton of new innovation to all our CC desktop apps like Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign," said David Wadhwani, senior vice president and general manager of Digital Media at Adobe. "These apps include new features that increase productivity, streamline the effort to build mobile content and showcase some stunning new imaging and video science."

One of the release's major features is a streamlined workflow experience. The new Creative Cloud app allows users to keep files synced and organized not only locally, but across websites and mobile devices. Adobe is also integrating the Behance community with CC, offering new portfolio publishing options that let users get feedback on works in progress from the community's over 1.4 million members.

Cloud storage and syncing remain the same, with 20GB of storage for individual members that can be used to share and edit work on a number of platforms, including iOS.

In addition, Adobe is launching the Create Now: A Celebration of Creativity initiative, which will host collaborative art projects, celebrate the birthday of a "design icon" and open up a forum for Adobe users to connect and collaborate.

Adobe's Creative Cloud update is available now through the company's website, with special pricing for educators and students starting at $19.99 per month. Individual pricing for new users is $49.99 per month, while customers using Adobe CS3 or higher get a discount down to $29.99 per month. Single-app access can is also avaialable for $19.99 a month.
post #2 of 68
Well, I guess this will be of some interest to those who are in a "collaborative" environment but for me these features are worthless only adding to the back end bloat. I see with some amusement that their pricing reflects just how Adobe intends to post it's next quarterly results. This monthly tax can sure make it easy for the bean counters.

Sad to see this pricing model being adopted by Adobe. They have made some top class software but this tax is the last straw - I can't see this working in the long term. People will turn away and look for alternatives. I guess I'll keep my standalone PS PR AE AI running until my machine dies. They've lost me as a customer.
oh well,
post #3 of 68

If they have actually added "hundreds" of features to each product (or even to them all together) then they have certainly ruined the product.  

Adobe is just ridiculous nowadays.  I'd be ashamed to work for them or be associated with them.  

post #4 of 68
Interesting but couldn't really care less. Adobe move to a monthly tax was the final straw for me. I will keep using my stand alone software and slowly switch over to other options.
post #5 of 68
It's fascinating to see how this CC transformation is separating the wheat from the chaff! ;-)

We're in our second year of what is now CC, and we're quite pleased. Interesting coincidence with Apple's own metamorphosis out of its "big cat" naming phase with Mavericks. Can't wait to see how these new Adobe tools run in it AND on the new Mac Pro!

Daniel Swanson

Reply

Daniel Swanson

Reply
post #6 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

If they have actually added "hundreds" of features to each product (or even to them all together) then they have certainly ruined the product.  
Adobe is just ridiculous nowadays.  I'd be ashamed to work for them or be associated with them.  

Yea - they lost their way ever since Ol John Warnock stepped down. I think Chizens was next - FAIL lol
post #7 of 68

Adobe can go **** itself. I bought CS6 just a couple months ago, and it's now pretty much obsolete with no new features to be added. Disgusting. 

post #8 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtensha View Post

Interesting but couldn't really care less. Adobe move to a monthly tax was the final straw for me. I will keep using my stand alone software and slowly switch over to other options.

I agree.  I'm warning people about the new 'subscription' model.

 

Personally, I think it's the last gasps of a dying breed.  I think Microsoft is going to find out pretty soon.  If they can pad their numbers this year from unexpected users and unaware IT people then it will be next year.

 

Also, since when did IT people get a huge review on this site?  They sit around and do nothing all day.  (if you are one and you don't then you're rare.  Invest well and plan for the future)  Both in corporate an scholar environments.

 

I'm heavily leaning against the corporate subscription model.  It's actually a more secure financial move to purchase an iWorks suite right now.  It will actually read almost all of your documents, and the few that don't seem to transition quite right need little repair work.

post #9 of 68

When I read "100's of new features" I automatically replaced "features" with "gimmicks". The whole CC subscription idea was already the last straw, but it really stands out how right after announcing CC, they apparently already had updates waiting to be implemented. It's as if they grab any chance to take more money out of your bank account with every new feature.

 

"Oh wait, we have a new feature here for you guys… BAM $10 out of your pocket"

 

Really Pixelmator, Sketch and other possible alternative apps. I hope you've been reading all the unhappy comments of Adobe customers, and are able to fill the gap sooner rather then later. I can't wait to not use Adobe anymore. As much as I used to love their extensive products, it just leaves a sour flavour in my mouth every time I think about CC and their pricing.

post #10 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

It's fascinating to see how this CC transformation is separating the wheat from the chaff! ;-)

We're in our second year of what is now CC, and we're quite pleased. Interesting coincidence with Apple's own metamorphosis out of its "big cat" naming phase with Mavericks. Can't wait to see how these new Adobe tools run in it AND on the new Mac Pro!

Im not sure how you can draw a parallel between Apple's OS names and Adobe's monthly pricing - but hey why not if you think it's valid, that's all that counts, right ?
Look, good for you and the business - great it works for you.
Doesn't suit me and I don't believe in the model.

Wheat from chaff ? Oh, right ....paying Adobe every month will get you there.
post #11 of 68
How do you access your CC file and work on them when you stop paying Adobe's monthly "protection money?"

I will eat your dog! If you have cat, I will eat that too!

Reply

I will eat your dog! If you have cat, I will eat that too!

Reply
post #12 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by unDED View Post

How do you access your CC file and work on them when you stop paying Adobe's monthly "protection money?"

lol

"I owe my soul to the company store ... "
Sixteen tonnes, Tennessee Ernie Ford. 1955
First released by the one and only Merle Travis, 1946
post #13 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by unDED View Post

How do you access your CC file and work on them when you stop paying Adobe's monthly "protection money?"

Unless you can hack, you don't.

 

You have to pay them again.

post #14 of 68
For anyone using a wide range of Adobe creative softwares, Creative Cloud costs much less than an upgrade every year of even every 2 years for international customers (those European paying the Adobe Creative Suite twice the US price%u2026).

On one hand, it has been a huge win for me who do print layouts and web design with quite a few multimedia projects in between to be able to use whatever Adobe app I need at a given time.

On the other hand, it sucks to be hold by the balls, paying for softwares you don't even own%u2026 at the mercy of Adobe marketeers when they feel like to up the CC monthly price%u2026

We are severely lacking any worthy competitor in the graphic arts to end Adobe monopoly.

As for this new CC upgrade, having Indesign go Retina is enough to satisfy me. The addition of barcode editing alone will allow me to stop upgrading hugely ovepriced Barcode Producer%u2026
post #15 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post

lol

"I owe my soul to the company store ... "
Sixteen tonnes, Tennessee Ernie Ford. 1955
First released by the one and only Merle Travis, 1946
Most applicable!
post #16 of 68
I have to wonder how many of those features Adobe is crowing about are worthwhile. Further one has to wonder how many new bugs come with the suite.

Thankfully I never got into Adobes software, most of it can be replace by alternatives for my needs.
post #17 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post

They have made some top class software but this tax is the last straw - I can't see this working in the long term. People will turn away and look for alternatives. I guess I'll keep my standalone PS PR AE AI running until my machine dies. They've lost me as a customer.
oh well,

Lost me too. Love the power of PS, AI, and DW is fine as alt for Coda on Win, but I will never buy (rent!) another version personally. I just know this will be a shoe-in at work and many companies will just pony up the money to these sharks.

Don't know about top-class tho tbh. There have been horrible feature omissions and additions for Years, they have held originally good software hostage, developed the apps in the worst way possible (out-sourced redundant coding & completely diff UI for each) and now I can't help but think they deserve to fail. Badly deserve to fail.

I just feel the Adobe CEO is one of the most coniving douchebags ever. So far removed from the Xerox PARC love-in Adobe sparked from. It isn't really Adobe anymore. **** 'em.
post #18 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post

Im not sure how you can draw a parallel between Apple's OS names and Adobe's monthly pricing - but hey why not if you think it's valid, that's all that counts, right ?
Look, good for you and the business - great it works for you.
Doesn't suit me and I don't believe in the model.

Wheat from chaff ? Oh, right ....paying Adobe every month will get you there.

"Coincidence" doesn't mean "parallel."

But "chaff" means YOU! :-)
Edited by DanielSW - 6/18/13 at 2:44am

Daniel Swanson

Reply

Daniel Swanson

Reply
post #19 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephane36 View Post

...costs much less than an upgrade every year of even every 2 years for international customers (those European paying the Adobe Creative Suite twice the US price).

...it sucks to be hold by the balls, paying for softwares you don't even own at the mercy of Adobe marketeers when they feel like to up the CC monthly price

We are severely lacking any worthy competitor in the graphic arts to end Adobe monopoly...

CC stinks of anti-competitive and monopolistic behaviour. Sure, it could be cheaper, but they have given us no reason to believe they won't use these changes to shaft us eventually. Don't trust them at all. It seems all efforts are towards marketing now, not developing a good suite of software.
post #20 of 68
I'm not upgrading to Creative Cloud.
post #21 of 68
So it looks like the cloud is where big companies are going to hit, personally if you don't have a fast internet connection is going to sucks and the problem with the ISP services is that are increasing the price, even the basic DSL, it was $19.99 now is $29.99
post #22 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

Tallest Skil definitely had very strong opinions and was a valuable member of the community. Comments like yours however usually denote the mental capacity of a 3 year old.

Agreed in both points. Not sure why he got booted, but his absense clearly devalues the community.
post #23 of 68
Not everyone that uses Photoshop is a professional photographer or works for an ad agency. I might be in a minority here but I run a small business and have used PS since 1994 in combination with GoLive and recently Adobe's Muse to maintain my company's website. I would update PS every second version, it made financial sense for me and allowed me to keep up to date with changes to the app. For someone like myself paying $50 or even $30 per month subscription for the use of 2 apps is too much. PS CS 6 works well for me and I can fortunately see myself using it for years to come. Muse is pretty good for someone that is visual and not into coding. I think most of Adobe's customers have had a "love - hate" relationship with the company forever. This is not likely to change anytime soon.
post #24 of 68
"We are the Borg. Prepare to be assimilated. Resistance is futile."
post #25 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephane36 View Post

On the other hand, it sucks to be hold by the balls, paying for softwares you don't even own

You don't "OWN" any of the software you use. You own the license to use it until such time the EULA changes in a fashion that does not allow you to use it further.

CC is no different than the current licensing barring the 'subscription' clause. It just allows Adobe to quickly cut you off for any reason they see necessary. CC is not a 'subscription' as the like to call it. It's a software lease. The only problem is that CC requires a 'subscription' to continue using the software license. With the prior method allowed us to continue using the last licensed version of the software if we chose without paying a subscription fee. 

post #26 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmit View Post

You don't "OWN" any of the software you use. You own the license...

Please cite an occasion when this semantic difference has affected users in any material fashion.

This just smacks of Adobe's power-hungry greed. If people pirate your software to a substantial degree, chances are it is seen as indispensable. Worth is measured in more than user satisfaction and features. Closed, proprietary, undocumented file formats for example.
post #27 of 68

People who say they don't use Adobe products for one reason or another are not the target market. Graphics professionals make their living off the suite and are in general quite satisfied with their careers. It is like any profession, you need professional tools. If you were a homebuilder you would have Skil model 77 worm drive saws not some crappy sidewinder made of plastic which isn't going to make it through the first job. Likewise a coffee professional might have a La Marzocco espresso machine not some Chinese plastic version from Walmart. Professional tools are expensive.

 

If you are not a professional designer or graphic artist you have nothing to do with, nor any valid opinion about Adobe CC. It is not for you. Just stick with iWork.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #28 of 68
Please don't quote trolls.

It's crazy how two people on a jihad are making things much worse.
post #29 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Adobe can go **** itself. I bought CS6 just a couple months ago, and it's now pretty much obsolete with no new features to be added. Disgusting. 

All the new features will be added to the new subscription model. You can sign up for $29 per month for the first year since you are an existing customer. So far the updates relate almost exclusively to new cloud features which were never part of the standalone CS6 anyway. If you don't need cloud and collaboration features then you are not missing anything, so your version is not really obsolete. 

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #30 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If you are not a professional designer or graphic artist you have nothing to do with, nor any valid opinion about Adobe CC. It is not for you. Just stick with iWork.

As a designer, this is a load of crap. Sure, I'm going to pony up for home use, as is work (eventually), but any legitimate user of their software can have complaints, they've paid as much as the rest of us. No reason to be elitist about it.
post #31 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post


Please cite an occasion when this semantic difference has affected users in any material fashion.

This just smacks of Adobe's power-hungry greed. If people pirate your software to a substantial degree, chances are it is seen as indispensable. Worth is measured in more than user satisfaction and features. Closed, proprietary, undocumented file formats for example.

My intention was not to cite any occasion or affect, but to state a simple fact. You own the license, not the software. It's plain and simple. I'm not defending Adobe or any software vendor picking this business model. Another simple fact is that if you stop paying under the CC 'subscription', you don't get to continue to use the current software version as long as you wish unlike the current licensing. Adobe could change the current license on CS if they chose to.

post #32 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

As a designer, this is a load of crap. Sure, I'm going to pony up for home use, as is work (eventually), but any legitimate user of their software can have complaints, they've paid as much as the rest of us. No reason to be elitist about it.

Just because you can afford to buy it doesn't mean you understand anything about the software. I've met some people who went out and bought a Canon D1 X and then leave it on automatic. They have no right to complain about the photos if they don't turn out right because they know nothing about how the camera works, which lens to use or how to compose a shot. Same thing with Creative Suite. If you are not a professional designer who works with the software on a daily basis, you should not even buy it. It will just be frustrating for you because it is too complex for non pros.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #33 of 68

Until the "new update" is that it is no longer in the "cloud" -- I'm not interested.

post #34 of 68
@Alexmit: IMO, this is indefensible and greedy. The new Xbox One is in a similar vein, and will clearly turn people off also. EULAs have always been a little weird to me.

@mstone: Fair, but people aren't complaining about the results of using PS, for example, just the new form of draconian distribution. Personally, I think good design means accessibility in part, everyone starts somewhere. Adobe apps are notoriously badly designed, just as Apple's are notoriously well designed. A student writing an essay and an author writing a book can both use Pages.
post #35 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

Unless you can hack, you don't.

 

You have to pay them again.

I have no idea -- but I'm guessing Adobe would at least let you download the "files" -- just not work on them. I can't believe they'd make a fool mistake of holding them for ransom. That isn't their business model.

 

I'm also betting there are going to be utilities to convert the newer files to things that might be opened by previous versions -- but you never know, that may end up being a third party solution.

 

>> Again, I haven't even looked into Adobe's latest offering -- I'm just suggesting a reasonable place to start. They likely have an FYI about termination of service that would tell you how they'd handle your documents -- likely even a grace period where they store them form you.

post #36 of 68
CC is a pure greed move by Adobe. It'll be a cold day in hell before I pay them rent to use their software.
post #37 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If you are not a professional designer or graphic artist you have nothing to do with, nor any valid opinion about Adobe CC. It is not for you. Just stick with iWork.

So us video professionals have nothing to say about CC?

Some of us use more than just Photoshop and Illustrator.

Paying Adobe every month for the rest of your life will not make Adobe produce the best software.

When they needed to get features and bug fixes out to get $, they did. Now they don't have that incentive.

post #38 of 68
I sure miss the good old days when a new Adobe release was a source of excitement and anticipation, rather than a bout of dread about all the new bugs that I was going to have to deal with.
post #39 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

I have no idea -- but I'm guessing Adobe would at least let you download the "files" -- just not work on them. I can't believe they'd make a fool mistake of holding them for ransom. That isn't their business model.

I'm also betting there are going to be utilities to convert the newer files to things that might be opened by previous versions -- but you never know, that may end up being a third party solution.

>> Again, I haven't even looked into Adobe's latest offering -- I'm just suggesting a reasonable place to start. They likely have an FYI about termination of service that would tell you how they'd handle your documents -- likely even a grace period where they store them form you.

How is anyone going to do that?

Considering that :

a) it's not about "opening" the files, but it's about editing them in their native format. For example: Painter can open PSD files, but NOT with Adjustment Layers in them or intact. They never will, because it's a sole feature of Photoshop and how Adobe implements them.

b) the above and many more functions and features are patented and proprietary by Adobe. Never going to license those....ever!

Misconceptions:

1) you WILL be able to open your documents with older versions of the software, say InDesign or PS CS6. However, none of the specialty features may be present in the document, meaning: it must be "flattened".

2) you do not need to be on he Internet 24/7. Just once every 90 days to "call home" and verify your license.

3) the programs are downloaded and run on your computer, not over the Interent

4) the files you create are on your computer...NOT in the cloud... unless you want them to be.

Regardless... I have also decided to wait and see, as have every single one of my clients here in Germany. I "was" not as militant against CC as most people, but my client's definitely were! Calling and yelling at me as if it was my decision. I didn't take it personally, but it did get on my nerves somewhat. 1hmm.gif
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #40 of 68

Thank the pirates and the stock market. The only reason Adobe switched to this model was to even out their revenue stream to help their financials and to try and curtail some of the illegal use of its software.

 

That being said, for most people doing work with their products, the subscription is a non-issue. We are talking about 1 billable hour a month, for many it is probably more like 30 minutes, to pay for the subscription. If you don't like it, stick with the version you have and don't worry about it. You will probably be able to run it forever in a virtual machine regardless of what upgrades come to OS X in the future.

 

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Reply

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Adobe releases major update to Creative Cloud desktop apps