or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft undercuts Apple in education, selling Surface RT for $199

Microsoft undercuts Apple in education, selling Surface RT for $199 - Page 3

post #81 of 90
Don't those countries have anti-dumping laws? And there is no dump bigger then a microcrap dump.
post #82 of 90
Desperate times call for desperate measures, I'm guessing. I wonder if schools will even buy them at that price.

Giving away 10,000 of them is simply shedding stagnant inventory they'd have to write off anyway. Might as well try to grab some attention with some product placement. Will the educators even use them if they're free?

Personally, I think the Surface RT is pretty much a lost cause. Not sure yet about the 'pro' version, but this one they can only (barely?) give away%u2026? Nope, it doesn't bode well.

Looks like history repeating itself: Zune => Surface RT?
post #83 of 90

And so ... the dumping of the POS RT officially begins (complete with no education software at all - but hey, it's got Office!).

next stop, the WalMart $99 bargain bins.

Last stop, free with a Big Mac family dinner!

post #84 of 90
Isn't our education system broken enough? Surface is a terrible product.
post #85 of 90

I bought a Surface for testing at work. I put it to sleep at the end of the work day and the battery is dead the next day! That thing is a total POS!!!!

post #86 of 90
Quote:
Microsoft undercuts Apple in education, selling Surface RT for $199

Delicious irony that it requires a very poor education for this to sound like a good deal.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #87 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by storneo View Post

I bought a Surface for testing at work. I put it to sleep at the end of the work day and the battery is dead the next day! That thing is a total POS!!!!

I had one for quite some time but that never happened to me. Perhaps you had it set up wrong? My complaints re the Surface RT were the 16:9 aspect ratio, no stylus and capacitive screen. Two of those three are also issues I have with my iPads. My nightmare scenario is having the iPad move to widescreen like they did with the iPhone and iPod Touch.

Philip
post #88 of 90

RT a loss leader at $199? Tegra 3 is old and available in bulk at $15 or less. And the screen used is a cheap low resolution one. And laptops running full Windows and are nearly as cheap so why would anyone bother accepting less with RT?

And yes, 16:9 was quite stupid when 16:10 is becoming more the norm.

Anyway, it ain't dead yet. Microsofts long term vision is selling RT phones and tablets at the budget end. Full surface is for a premium $1000+ price Macbook like price.

Edited by aBeliefSystem - 7/20/13 at 3:44pm
post #89 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by aBeliefSystem View Post

RT a loss leader at $199? Tegra 3 is old and available in bulk at $15 or less. And the screen used is a cheap low resolution one. And laptops running full Windows and are nearly as cheap so why would anyone bother accepting less with RT?

And yes, 16:9 was quite stupid when 16:10 is becoming more the norm.
Anyway, it ain't dead yet. Microsofts long term vision is selling RT phones and tablets at the budget end. Full surface is for a premium $1000+ price Macbook like price.

Because it's the same turd they tried to sell at more than twice that price last fall?

MS lost big on the product line, but they'll live.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/492120/20130718/microsoft-takes-900-million-charge-surface-tablets.htm

I know it's a faulty comparison (for example R&D costs money, but it's not a marginal (per-unit) expense), Assuming $200 per RT, that would have been 4.5 million of them. If it cost them $150/unit, 6 million, the same quantity the article arrives at. They didn't even sell a million RTs.
Edited by JeffDM - 7/20/13 at 8:14pm
post #90 of 90

"Because it's the same turd they tried to sell at more than twice that price last fall?"

Like many a false 2 for one offer they can reduce it to a pretend bargain basement.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Microsoft undercuts Apple in education, selling Surface RT for $199
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft undercuts Apple in education, selling Surface RT for $199