or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Solar charging stations with Apple Lightning & 30-pin connectors come to New York

Solar charging stations with Apple Lightning & 30-pin connectors come to New York - Page 2

post #41 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

If there is an example of hell on earth it would be NYC.

As for standing around I'm sure that is exactly what people want to do while their phone charges. The whole concept is not bad, that is public recharging stations and even solar powered has its merits. It is the implementation that sucks.

Beyond that what is with the 15 watt solar panel. 15 watts is likely under optimal conditions so it would be easy for modest use to keep the battery in the machine from charging at all. So if the station is there to help support cell phone users during disasters most likely it will lead to frustration and confrontation as it would never keep up with demand. If this is to be a solution to emergencies it really needs a surplus of power under less than optimal conditions.
45 watts is enough to charge around 8 smartphones, i think more like 3 will be being charged so with it it might give the battery about 15 watts an hour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonshf View Post

The solar panels should be bigger and create a rain umbrella over the charging tables. With the extra power a meak wifi hotspot can be added so while people are waiting around for their phones to charge they can check their email etc. A video camera above to record thefts might also be a good idea.
yeah for the idea, but I think the goal was a no connection station, umbrealla panels is a win win however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So basically you stand there for hours while your device charges. You can't leave, because it'll obviously be stolen. You can't go there without a gun, because you'll get mugged standing there in the first place. You can't use it in any sort of weather whatsoever, because you're outside and it's unprotected and the device will be destroyed. And after the first rain, the entire station will be destroyed because the plugs will be ruined. Anyone trying to use a rusty plug will damage their device physically and electrically.

What in the name of frick is the point of these things?!
post #42 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

45 watts is enough to charge around 8 smartphones, i think more like 3 will be being charged so with it it might give the battery about 15 watts an hour.
yeah for the idea, but I think the goal was a no connection station, umbrealla panels is a win win however.
Tallest ski, the panels are water proof and the outlets are probably well protected. Security is issue but that's up to you.
post #43 of 47
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post
Tallest ski, the panels are water proof and the outlets are probably well protected. Security is issue but that's up to you.

Oh, cool; good to know.

post #44 of 47
I thought the major didn't allow for people to pull out their iPhone in NYC? (< yes that's a ? and not a ¿)
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #45 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I thought the major didn't allow for people to pull out their iPhone in NYC? (< yes that's a ? and not a ¿)

I'm sure if the mayor had his way he'd outlaw people using their iPhones in public, but no that is not the case.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #46 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I'm sure if the mayor had his way he'd outlaw people using their iPhones in public, but no that is not the case.

Well ok, not forbidden. But he doesn't like it either:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/12/28/nyc-mayor-blames-increase-in-crime-on-demand-for-apple-products
post #47 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Well it does depend on where they site them. There's many locations around NYC with an essentially constant police presence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

You do realize that in vast portions of the USA there is no police presence and no crime. ....

I was responding to the sentiment those stations "were a crime waiting to happen" and not some overarching philisophocal point about cities or even NYC: and so I stand by my point that it would depend on where they site them: and for a variety of reasons such as things out in the public view (and Brooklyn Park is rather open) would be less subject to crime than some dark back alley... whether that back alley be in flyover country or NYC.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Solar charging stations with Apple Lightning & 30-pin connectors come to New York