or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple tweaks Siri responses to help prevent suicides

Apple tweaks Siri responses to help prevent suicides - Page 2

post #41 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolsoldier View Post

In the demo during WWDC the search results were pulled up, via Bing, in Siri, not in Safari.

Siri has a thing about Uncle Fester. It may be that light bulb in the mouth thing he does.

post #42 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't think that computers should be in the business of preventing suicides. If somebody has the intention of ending their life, then I doubt that any computer voice is going to stop them.

The program that simulated a mental health worker (circa 1980) may have been before your time. People would open up to the program and tell it things they hadn't told another person. The program didn't even have a voice initially (and when it did, it sounded like Bowinkle the moose).

You typed your statement or question into a command like interface and received a text response. There's a lot more info regarding how people reacted to the program, but I think you get the basic idea.

post #43 of 47
Good thinking. This is one of those details that Apple could completely ignore and it wouldn't affect sales one bit. It's about doing the right thing. Cool.
post #44 of 47
This is a good start. I think Siri should also be able to walk someone through CPR. That would be really beneficial. It could keep a timer going and tell you what to do, then contact 911 while continuing to show info on the screen.
post #45 of 47
And yes, 1-800 numbers are North American (possibly international but you would need to dial overseas number first so it would be something like 011 800 .....) I'm sure Siri would recommend calling a local agency or a National service in your country. She's (or he now?) pretty smart.
post #46 of 47
My question is: do people usually consult Siri before committing suicide? If so, does it happen often enough for apple to equip Siri with such a response?
post #47 of 47
Apple finally taking care of stockholders.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple tweaks Siri responses to help prevent suicides