or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google's Nexus 7 tablets dying early due to defective hardware and software [u]

Google's Nexus 7 tablets dying early due to defective hardware and software [u]

post #1 of 184
Less than a year after hitting the market at an exceptionally low $199 price point, Google's Nexus 7 mini tablet is causing an uproar among early adopters who complain the device is already beginning to fail with frustrating lag and frequent periods of unresponsiveness.

[Update: While problems with the Nexus 7 originally appeared to be related to defective memory, it appears the problems users were seeing were related to both defective hardware and software deficiencies in Android.

An Android app developer initially commented on the issue, stating that it relates to a known "bug in Samsung's flash controller firmware."

When users fill up storage to the point of having less than around 3GB free, the firmware triggers a process that runs "unusually slow and can lock up the whole device for several seconds."

The comment adds "Google rolled out an update for the Nexus 7 with Android 4.1.2 which doesn't fix the bug but avoids triggering it," and notes, "Google also still hasn't included this fix in any of their Galaxy Nexus updates, which is quite questionable regarding numerous complaints in the Google product forums."

One year after the device was launched, Google unveiled an updated version with new Android 3.2 software capable of properly supporting TRIM commands required to manage solid state storage.]

"I can?t find one person who has been using the Nexus 7 for an extended period of time, and hasn?t seen a massive downgrade in performance," wrote Dustin Early for AndroidAndMe in an editorial titled, "One year later, the Nexus 7 has gone from the best to worst tablet I?ve ever owned."

"I cannot pick up my Nexus 7 without experiencing problems like a lag of ten seconds, or more, just to rotate the display," Early wrote. "Touches refusing to acknowledged; stuttering notification panel actions; and unresponsive apps."

Early said he was originally "blown away" by the Nexus 7, writing "it was the perfect form factor for Android, and probably the best Android device I had ever used at the time. All for just $200. You simply couldn?t ask for more in a device."

Now he says it's "just a shell of its former self," and called the device "an embarrassment to Google."

Despite trying a factory reset and then "drastic measures, like rooting and installing CyanogenMod 10.1" which Early "thought would surely fix everything" based on the assumption that "performance problems were merely a lack of software optimization," he concluded, "nothing seems to work."

Nexus 7 and the case of frustrating lag

Comments on the article indicate his experience is not unique. "I have all the same exact issues. Horrific lag when doing anything in the browser, any simple multi-tasking, and at least one crash/reboot per hour, wrote Kunal Patel. "I?m amazed at how quickly the Nexus 7 deteriorated."

A variety of comments noted similar issues, not just with Google's Nexus 7 but also other tablets build by Asus, the manufacturer Google uses to build the device. In particular, users called out the Asus Transformer Prime.

"My Nexus 7 became paper weight because of this issue," another user commented. "I tried all the regular and rooting routes?ended up selling it. I?ve also used the Transformer Prime extensively and Transformer Infinity for several months and they all fell to the same problems. This is most definitely Asus? manufacturing issue.""After a few weeks, the lag returns, the unresponsiveness creeps back, and tap recognition is hit and miss"

Other users blamed Android's software for failing to properly maintain devices' SSD memory. Several suggested downloading utility apps designed to manually zero out the installed memory, a process that takes about 20 minutes on a 16GB device.

"I tried that and, yes, it worked," one user noted. "But after a few weeks, the lag returns, the unresponsiveness creeps back, and tap recognition is hit and miss. No app can fix the physical problems that I and others have with our 7s. Screen separation in the lower left quadrant (in portrait orientation) is testament to the overall quality of this device. Every time I pick up my 'squishy' device, I am reminded of its bargain price."

Engineering challenges in solid state storage

One problem at the core of the issue seems to be related to early failure of SSD memory. Unlike the conventional mechanical hard drives, which typically either fail immediately or last for several years before nearing the end of their useful life span, solid state memory progressively wears out as it's being used.

High quality flash memory can provide a significantly longer lifespan than cheaper versions, but it also costs more. All SSDs requires intelligent, low level software to identify blocks that are no longer working and work around them.

SSD also requires routines for handling cleanup of erased data, as solid state memory must be erased to zero before being rewritten to, a step that isn't necessary for conventional magnetic hard drives. If these "garbage collection" tasks aren't performed properly, performance degrades over time.

Over the several years of engineering iPods, iOS devices and SSD based Macs including the MacBook Air, Apple has invested lots of resources into balancing performance, efficiency and longevity in its products using solid state memory storage.

The great expense of "torturous" value engineering

Last August, shortly after the Nexus 7 went on sale, Forbes interviewed Asus executive Benjamin Yeh, providing some insight into the rapid development of the Nexus 7.

After the disastrous launch failure of Android 3.0 Honeycomb tablets on Xoom hardware developed by Motorola in 2011, Google "decided to look further afield than their acquisition Motorola Mobility," the report stated.

Google approached Asus in January 2012 after seeing the manufacturer's tablet designs at CES. Just four months of engineering work later, the two companies began mass production of Nexus 7.

Source: Asus

To provide some context on Nexus 7's unusually rushed design cycle Yeh explained, "For a mass-market device, from concept to mass production, we?re talking about six to twelve months. Six months is very tight."

Google wanted the device to be "fast, cheap and good," as well as "thin and light," and ready to debut by that summer's Google I/O conference. This placed extreme design challenges on Asus.

Asus chairman Jonney Shih described Nexus 7 co-development with Google to Wall Street Journal blogger Ina Fried, noting, "our engineers told me it is like torture."

And Google's former head of Android development Andy Rubin noted that, after factoring in the Nexus 7's marketing costs, "When it gets sold through the Play store, there?s no margin. It just basically gets (sold) through."

That brings to mind Steve Jobs' prescient observations on the "avalanche" of Android devices being launched in late 2010, nearly two years before the Nexus 7 shipped.

Jobs noted that there were only "a handful of credible entrants," and that they were forced to used a "tweener" 7 inch form factor to hit low price points in order to compete with the iPad.

"Our potential competitors [in tablets] are having a tough time coming close to iPad's pricing," Jobs said. "iPad incorporates everything we've learned about building high value products. We create our own A4 chip, software, battery chemistry, enclosure, everything. This results in an incredible product at a great price. The proof will be in the pricing of our competitors' products, which will offer less for more."

Two years later, Nexus 7 greeted as an iPad killer

At its launch, the Nexus 7 garnered much praise for its display, build quality and performance. Even TechCrunch reviewer MG Siegler, who is seen as an unapologetic fan of Apple's products, wrote that, "with the Nexus 7, Google has, for the first time, created an Android product that I would buy for myself. And I wouldn't have an issue recommending it to anyone else."

Nexus 4

Writing for The Verge, Joshua Topolsky, wrote, "Google's Nexus 7 isn't just an excellent tablet for $200. It's an excellent tablet, period."

The Nexus 7 also won product of the year awards from a variety of sources, including being awarded the "Best Mobile Tablet" at the GSMA Mobile World Congress; both "Tablet of the Year" and "Gadget of the Year" by T3, and "the superior small tablet" by CNET, ahead of Apple's iPad mini, which it called "the luxury latecomer."

And while a more critical review noted that "Google apps run better on the iPad Mini than the Nexus 7," CNET found it newsworthy that its "reader poll" favored the Nexus 7 over the iPad mini by a significant margin.

In reviewing the product for AppleInsider, Neil Hughes wrote "the Nexus 7 is a compelling piece of hardware," but added,"this device is no iPad, and it doesn't even feel like it was made to compete with Apple's market dominating tablet. The narrow screen feels best suited for primarily reading books with the occasional Web browsing and app usage, which pits the Nexus 7 as more of a Kindle competitor than an iPad challenger."

Asus warns of shrinking tablet demand

Despite its many awards and raving reviews, the Google Nexus 7 appears to have sold about 6.8 million units through Q1, according to estimates by industry analyst Benedict Evans. Google hasn't released official sales figures, but Asus does state how many tablets in total it has sold, a number that includes the Nexus 7.

Asus just recently warned investors that it expects shipments of both its Windows 8 and Android tablets to come in around 10 percent short of the previous quarter, with tablet shipments expected to reach just 2.7 million in the June quarter.

In November, Apple sold 3 million new iPad 4 and iPad mini units in its first weekend of sales. Apple sold another 19.5 million iPads in its March quarter, up dramatically from the 11.8 million in the year ago quarter. This fueled estimates stating Apple likely sold about 12.5 million iPad minis in the quarter.
post #2 of 184
I believe the saying goes, "you get what you pay for."
post #3 of 184

I owned one for a while. I also owned a Samsung Galaxy s3. It seems like every Android device deteriorates in performance after a while, especially if you load a large number of apps on them. I've sold them all on over time because I hate lag and do not enjoy dealing with the issues that seem to crop up in a short timeframe of a few month.

Android really reminds me of early Windows in that people developed a whole routine to deal with the manner in which the registry blew up and made the computer unusable during Win95-98. Most tech guys I knew had an install directory and could clear and recreate their desktop environment from scratch in a few hours and did so regularly, some as often as once a month.

I'd bet money that these tablets would have their issues clear up if they were wiped and they started fresh on them. It says something terrible that an option like that has to be considered and unlike Apple, there's no iTunes or even iCloud to help them get everything back to the same state again.

Too bad for them but thank goodness for all us Apple owners.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #4 of 184

Ouch, I bet that's all happening one day after the year is up on the warranty. 

I bet Google will do their best to fix this, if it's a hardware problem. They can not afford not to. Even if it's something like the bumpers for the iPhone4. If it's a hardware problem it's gonna be a much bigger deal.

I giggled a bit, but you know how this kind of tech stuff goes. Today it's them, tomorrow... who knows.

post #5 of 184
Well two years is outside the Nexus 7's factory warranty period, correct?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #6 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Gregory View Post

Ouch, I bet that's all happening one day after the year is up on the warranty. 

I bet Google will do their best to fix this, if it's a hardware problem. They can not afford not to. Even if it's something like the bumpers for the iPhone4. If it's a hardware problem it's gonna be a much bigger deal.

I giggled a bit, but you know how this kind of tech stuff goes. Today it's them, tomorrow... who knows.

Actually, "we" don't know how "this kind of tech stuff goes." I wouldn't accept a motor vehicle that doesn't function well after one or two years and I wouldn't accept accept a computer that does either.
post #7 of 184

This is the first I've heard of any type of widespread early failure for the Nexus 7.  Interesting that it's coming from an Apple site.  I've had a nexus 7 since very shortly after the launch and have never had any problem with it. 

post #8 of 184
Sounds like Asus needs to get their s**t together.
post #9 of 184
While the Nexus 7 examples sound far worse, my iPad 3 is notably lagging more than when I bought it. My past iPhones have got less responsive with time too.

Apple aren't immune to degrading hardware, or hardware that doesn't meet the increasing demands of the software that runs on it.

censored

censored

post #10 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

This is the first I've heard of any type of widespread early failure for the Nexus 7.  Interesting that it's coming from an Apple site.  I've had a nexus 7 since very shortly after the launch and have never had any problem with it. 

Nope, they have all kinds of problems.  Check the Android boards.  Another very common complaint is that it will sometimes fail to charge.  Recover from this involves button holding / restarting voodoo that doesn't work for a lot of people.  I rarely use the Nexus 7 I bought for development and testing purposes, and it has all kinds of problems.

To be clear, these hardware problems are a different issue from my distaste for Android.

post #11 of 184

I have a nexus 7, to me, honestly, it felt laggy & slow from day 1, i have wiped it at least 5 times since i got it, over time it just gets more unstable.
the lower spec (on paper) iPad mini, is a dream, the real life speed is way more usable & consistent. 

post #12 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

While the Nexus 7 examples sound far worse, my iPad 3 is notably lagging more than when I bought it. My past iPhones have got less responsive with time too.

Apple aren't immune to degrading hardware, or hardware that doesn't meet the increasing demands of the software that runs on it.

I typically have to wipe my iPhones and iPads once or twice a year to address issues (performance, stability, etc.)

post #13 of 184

I just don't know if Dilger's articles can even be believed due his track record of exceedingly partisan Apple fanboyism.

Any other sources that corroborate these claims?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #14 of 184

But but but some of iOS 7 app icons are ugly.  That's way worse than this. Apple is doomed!

post #15 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Didn't the Nexus 7 only begin shipping in October 2012?
post #16 of 184

There goes another iPad killer...

Oops! There goes Nexus 7 the way of famous other iPad competitors. That's what you get when you rush into the market unprepared to compete with the iPad.

post #17 of 184

Sounds a lot like the problems I had with my 4th gen ipod Touch.  People said I was crazy. 

post #18 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Didn't the Nexus 7 only begin shipping in October 2012?

I stand corrected then. But same question; is it failing outside of the factory warranty period?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #19 of 184
You get what you paid for.
post #20 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

I typically have to wipe my iPhones and iPads once or twice a year to address issues (performance, stability, etc.)

Completely different issue. Nexus 7 shipped initially with "Jelly Bean" and still only has "Jelly Bean" to date.

Apparently, Google needs to rename Project Butter to Project (whatever the opposite of) Butterface (is); Project Butterbody.
post #21 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanExtremists View Post

Sounds a lot like the problems I had with my 4th gen ipod Touch.  People said I was crazy. 

The difference is that your problem is quite unusual. OTOH, it looks like this particular problem is quite common.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I just don't know if Dilger's articles can even be believed due his track record of exceedingly partisan Apple fanboyism.

Sure:
http://www.osnews.com/story/27132/The_Nexus_7_one_year_later
http://gadgetsup.com/nexus-7-touchscreen-issue-your-nexus-7-touchscreen-might-becomes-unresponsive/
http://yudone.com/tech-news/nexus-7-unresponsive-screen/
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Google-Nexus-7-touchscreen-Jelly-Bean-Dead-Pixel,news-15966.html
http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/mobile/7n1ger0IscA
http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-tablet/284951-unresponsive-nexus-7-nothing-works-print.html

Plenty more. Just search for 'nexus 7 unresponsive'.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #22 of 184
Quote:

I didn't realize "AndroidAndMe" was an Apple site? That's kind of an odd name, don't you agree?

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #23 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Read it at the source: ... wrote Dustin Early for AndroidAndMe in an editorial titled, "One year later, the Nexus 7 has gone from the best to worst tablet I?ve ever owned."

Don't let your Apple hate hit you on the way out.
post #24 of 184
Now if this were to happen to an iPad, journalists would have a hay day and stock prices would drop. Asus, Google? Have to wait to see but I suspect the maker of its infamous OS rushes some new dangled report on magic zippers that zip themselves and protect against temperature drops intuitively; subject changed, innovation lorded by the pundits and all is well in the land of Google. Asus, not so sure the scenario—seems it has had some rough press of late.
/s

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

post #25 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I stand corrected then. But same question; is it failing outside of the factory warranty period?

Navigating the warranty is more challenging than navigating Android itself. I truly can't find the length of the warranty.

Who fixes Nexus 7 other than a fly-by-night repair shop?

https://play.google.com/intl/en_us/about/device-terms.html

http://support.asus.com/warranty.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Nexus%207
post #26 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"I can't find one person who has been using the Nexus 7 for an extended period of time, and hasn't seen a massive downgrade in performance,"

I'm sure he'll find at least one (scroll through the following thread to find out who - note the videos showing bad lag even on stock devices):

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/156800/google-preps-revamped-nexus-7-to-take-on-ipad-mini#post_2304903
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Now he says it's "just a shell of its former self," and called the device "an embarrassment to Google."

I doubt it embarrasses Google - Android and the Nexus aren't important to Google. That's why they sell them at break-even. They are just conduits for their services. They'd sell toilet paper if they could get some ads on it. I wonder what they'd offer if I pitched that as a business plan. Nobody seems to have thought to put ads there. Every wipe you'll be thinking 'i can't believe that stay at home mum earns $6000 a month and for some reason dermatologists HATE her'. I suppose they'd have trouble tracking impressions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton 

Yeah and you can't even buy a second one without topping the iPad mini price. What's really interesting is if you deduct a 40% gross margin from the iPad mini price, it costs the same as the Nexus 7 so Apple is building a higher quality tablet for the same costs Google has. That's probably why Apple said from the iPad launch that others would really struggle to compete.

Microsoft seems to be following a similar no-profit strategy. It's so funny that they are essentially giving the tablets away at cost and they still can't outsell the iPad.
post #27 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

This is a common misconception of "lag". There is a perceived lag in everything you own once you become familiar with it. When something is new there's a natural tendency to be much more patient as you learn the ins and outs. Once you master it, you're more likely to "run" into something that's not getting out of the way faster than you expect or want it to.

I have an original iPad and it still runs fairly well, but it sure feels slow. Slower than I remember, but the fact is, I can't remember how slow it ran when I originally got it and there's nothing to compare it with. Instead what happened is I started comparing it to how fast stuff worked on my newer iPhones. And it really does seem like the iPad has gotten slower and slower with each new iPhone I've purchased.

A more extreme example... When I got my Mac SE, it was the greatest computer I ever owned, not once did I ever notice any kind of lag. I boot that sucker up today and I can't believe I was able to get anything done on it!? It is ridiculously slow compared to today's computers, but it still runs exactly as it did then.

Edited by mjtomlin - 6/18/13 at 4:47pm
post #28 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Read it at the source: ... wrote Dustin Early for AndroidAndMe in an editorial titled, "One year later, the Nexus 7 has gone from the best to worst tablet I?ve ever owned."

Don't let your Apple hate hit you on the way out.

SpamSandwich... Apple hate??!!?

Hahahahahahaahahaha...  that's really funny.

I guess you haven't been here that long.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #29 of 184
Quote:

I have many many accounts of premature battery mortality. I grant this can happen with any device but the Nexus 7 seems very prone to a 1 year old device having a battery that will maintain a 20 minute of less charge. Personally, this does not surprise me given the price. Something HAS to give. There is no magic. Cheaper Flash leads to greater potential read/write failures resulting in slower performance. Cheaper battery leads to lower number of charge cycles/shorter potential longevity.

In short, it is a good $200 tablet. It is not a $400 or $600 tablet.

post #30 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

SpamSandwich... Apple hate??!!?

Hahahahahahaahahaha...  that's really funny.

I guess you haven't been here that long.

I thought that comment sounded... odd.
post #31 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

I have many many accounts of premature battery mortality. I grant this can happen with any device but the Nexus 7 seems very prone to a 1 year old device having a battery that will maintain a 20 minute of less charge. Personally, this does not surprise me given the price. Something HAS to give. There is no magic. Cheaper Flash leads to greater potential read/write failures resulting in slower performance. Cheaper battery leads to lower number of charge cycles/shorter potential longevity.

It's not even a good $329 tablet.
post #32 of 184
Quote:

I believe the source material for the article originated on an Android forum.
post #33 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Sounds like Asus needs to get their s**t together.

Nah,  then they'll raise the prices.

post #34 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

If something is prone to failing after just a year of use it doesn't to be good at any price... jmho.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #35 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

This is a common misconception of "lag". There is a perceived lag in everything you own once you become familiar with it. When something is new there's a natural tendency to be much more patient as you learn the ins and outs. Once you master it, you're more likely to "run" into something that's not getting out of the way faster than you expect or want it to.

I have an original iPad and it still runs fairly well, but it sure feels slow. Slower than I remember, but the fact is, I can't remember how slow it ran when I originally got it and there's nothing to compare it with. Instead what happened is I started comparing it to how fast stuff worked on my newer iPhones. And it really does seem like the iPad has gotten slower and slower with each new iPhone I've purchased.

A more extreme example... When I got my Mac SE, it was the greatest computer I ever owned, not once did I ever notice any kind of lag. I boot that sucker up today and I can't believe I was able to get anything done on it!? It is ridiculously slow compared to today's computers, but it still runs exactly as it did then.

I get what you are saying, but the Nexus 7 is only a year or so old. Plus, people are saying this without another reference point to compare it to.
post #36 of 184

No, July.

It's been my primary computing device since then and I've been satisfied with it. Guess I'm lucky.

post #37 of 184
Tablet of the Year, Gadget of the Year, Scam of the Year. There' a worthy headline in thar.

"And while a more critical review noted that 'Google apps run better on the iPad Mini than the Nexus 7,' CNET found it newsworthy that its 'reader poll' favored the Nexus 7 over the iPad mini by a significant margin." Hellooooo, to the Brain Dead!

And anyone who assails the Man of Integrity, DED himself, (of course) deserves immediate call out for Blocking. Four, or is it five from this article. 1smile.gif And another that has one more chance-only because he appers to be polite about it; dang my sense of fairness!

The water closet that holds all spammers is getting awful full.

Addendum: joy! Another troll, the usual first timer to the deep latrine. Oh, the humanity.
Addendum2: and another troll to the little girl's room. So many treats today 'tis like a second Christmas. 1smoking.gif
Addendum3: fair is fair, I must give JS2 another chance via his #7 post and that he got the date order of the beloved iPad mini and Nexus 7 releases correct. There's integrity in what he posts; that dang fairness gene sure gets in the way of "life's little pleasures". 1hmm.gif I blame my dad.
Edited by mhikl - 6/18/13 at 5:41pm

post #38 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

Tablet of the Year, Gadget of the Year, Scam of the Year. There' a worthy headline in thar.

"And while a more critical review noted that 'Google apps run better on the iPad Mini than the Nexus 7,' CNET found it newsworthy that its 'reader poll' favored the Nexus 7 over the iPad mini by a significant margin." Hellooooo, to the Brain Dead!

CNet said that before the iPad Mini had even been released. Anyone who pays attention to CNet deserves what they get.
post #39 of 184

I can't find the link to the 'article' citing all of these problems within this post. Can someone help me, please?

post #40 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

I believe the source material for the article originated on an Android forum.

Yes it did and if he had read the article he is commenting on he would know smog of the quotes are from Android sites. I know a die hard Android user who has always praised his Nexus 7 to the skies and when I sent him this article he said it is happening to him too.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Google's Nexus 7 tablets dying early due to defective hardware and software [u]
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google's Nexus 7 tablets dying early due to defective hardware and software [u]