or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google's Nexus 7 tablets dying early due to defective hardware and software [u]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google's Nexus 7 tablets dying early due to defective hardware and software [u] - Page 4

post #121 of 184

So is this Apple issue with new Macbooks and WiFi common or unusual JR? Curious what empirical evidence you're using to make a determination which is which.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5100655?start=0&tstart=0
http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/apple-macbook-air-wifi-issues-reportedly-affecting-owners-20-06-2013/
http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?p=24427383

Personally I don't consider a few hundred posts reporting an issue to be proof whether a problem applies to most devices or just a few. You seem to claim differently.
Edited by Gatorguy - 6/20/13 at 7:45am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #122 of 184

As a developer I own a large number of iOS devices. 

 

I also buy an Android device each year to track the market. Last year I bought Nexus 7, this year I bought Kindle Fire HD, 8.9"

 

The iOS devices are trouble free, though the iPad 1's feel slow. I've given one to my Mum to tide her over till I have a spare iPad 3 I can give her.  My other iPad 1 will finish its days as a clock/radio/web surfing/recipe book in the kitchen on a Wallee wall mount. This other iPad 1 was dropped onto concrete a couple of years back, it bounced on its corner and was slightly scratched, almost imperceptibly in fact. 

 

My Nexus 7 is working, but I thought it was dead because of its user-hostile behaviour when the battery runs low. It does some strange things when charging which make it look as if it's faulty (strange noisy screen flashes). 

 

I like the Nexus 7 for bedtime ebook reading. Why?  Its got a warm feeling plastic rear case. I prefer this to the touch of an iPad mini sometimes because of the warmth. 

 

My Kindle Fire HD broke after 7 days. No need to go into the ins-and-outs.  I bought it from Best Buy and then took it home to the UK. It broke in the UK.  A quick phone call to Amazon and another one was sent to me from the US as a warranty fix. I had it in 4 days.  Superb customer service. 

 

The iPad reigns supreme. The quality is undeniable. However if Nexus could fix its user-hostile power management it would be a very nice tablet. Shame I won't want to develop for it as I don't think its economical for a non-games independent developer. 

 

Apple needs to watch out for Amazon, the customer experience is predominantly the device itself, but when that fails Amazon are well ahead. 

post #123 of 184
The Nexus 10 also has crippling problems which Google have failed to fix https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/mobile/VFYnt7uN9d0%5B1-25-false%5D.
post #124 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewkendall View Post

The Nexus 10 also has crippling problems which Google have failed to fix https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/mobile/VFYnt7uN9d0%5B1-25-false%5D.

It's a problem with the Mali GPU driver, it only affects a few units. Google and Mali have both recognized the problem, there is a new driver available and Google is going to release a new Firmware in the coming days.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #125 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by realpaulfreeman View Post

Apple needs to watch out for Amazon, the customer experience is predominantly the device itself, but when that fails Amazon are well ahead. 

Amazon has great customer care, I buy almost everything from them. They don't ask many questions, the turn around is the fastest of any company I have ever dealt with and their the cheapest. I bricked a BB Playbook once, my fault but they didn't care, had a new one in 3 days.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #126 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I bricked a BB Playbook once, my fault but they didn't care, had a new one in 3 days.

Perhaps they just wanted to get rid of them.
post #127 of 184
I am a Nexus 7 owner from the preorder days. I had low expectations for the device as nothing was known about it, and i think i am was not alone. So when we finally got them and they were so usable, people obviously gave reviews based on those low expectations.

Fast forward to now, and i think people forgot this tablet was never super snappy to begin with. Add that with the fact that google has jammed in some new things that in the OS that has slowed it down a tad more, and that leads to frustration from some of the user base and conspiracy theories abound.

But I'm still a happy, everyday user of the device.
post #128 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

This is a law of the Universe; "fast, cheap and good -- pick any two."

 

Google should have known better.

Google isn't known for anything other than cheap or free.  They cater to people that either don't have any money or not willing to spend much on a computing device, but they'll think it's better.

post #129 of 184
make sure theres 3 gigs of free memory in the nexus 7 and itll be buttery smooth. my brother has his n7 still its been over 7 months and his hasnt had a hick up. he onl uses it to play emulaters and check fb so he doesnt use much memory. my old n7 was constantly acting up with the memory maxed out till i took off the 1 gig games and had 3 gigs left it was smooth but now i have the note 8 . this is the best tablet ive owned.
post #130 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Well two years is outside the Nexus 7's factory warranty period, correct?

Depending on what that period is. Then again if you bought it in the EU you might be able to apply the consumer laws against sellers.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #131 of 184

I'm too a Nexus 7 user, almost since Day one for the 16 Gb model. And I got my "mysterious failure" almost a soon as I got it. Then I got it fixed. Fact is daywalker is dead right, and he nailed the issue. I'd just add a couple of suggestions:

 

Quote:

1.) Verify the issue
Download AndroBench and run it, if your "Random Write Speed" is below 0,20mb/s, you're probably affected.
 
 
2a.) Resolve the issue on a Nexus 7
Make sure you are on Android 4.2.2.
Wiping does not help, instead fill your device completly with data and afterwards remove it again to "free" the flash blocks.
After a reboot the performance (AndroBench) should show better "Random Write Speeds".


1. If you've not got Androbench, you can download AnTuTu, and do the "Database IO Test". If your score is 550 or similar value, you're set. If it's much lower, you're affected.

2a. If you dont want to manually fill your device, you can use one of those software meant to delete data by overwriting it, like "Forever Gone". In the end it'll fill the device and free it, resetting the data.

post #132 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexuser View Post

I'm too a Nexus 7 user, almost since Day one for the 16 Gb model. And I got my "mysterious failure" almost a soon as I got it. Then I got it fixed. Fact is daywalker is dead right, and he nailed the issue. I'd just add a couple of suggestions:


1. If you've not got Androbench, you can download AnTuTu, and do the "Database IO Test". If your score is 550 or similar value, you're set. If it's much lower, you're affected.


2a. If you dont want to manually fill your device, you can use one of those software meant to delete data by overwriting it, like "Forever Gone". In the end it'll fill the device and free it, resetting the data.

...or you could just NOT buy a cheap piece of crap that doesn't let you make full use of it.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #133 of 184
I disagree heavily with this article. For anyone that IS experiencing this, there are plenty of steps you can take to ensure maximum performance. One being, root your fucking device! A handful of people are going to focus much more on issues pertaining to common usage and listen to forums much more than a corporation. There are several different options for ROMS and kernels for your device. Two, if you're experiencing lag and believe it to be because of your RAM, add a swap space to expand memory capabilities. Very efficient. Three, don't sit there and think it's going to do ALL the work for you, get Android tuner and maintain what's going on. If you're interested in learning a little about kernels, invest time into Franco updater, and fine tune your kernel. Of course if your don't stick your baby in a fucking bath, herm will get overly stinky and dirty.
post #134 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7HMPSNHN7 View Post

...steps you can take to ensure maximum performance. One being, root your fucking device!



Never mind that absolutely nothing you said can do anything to prevent CRAP NAND from DESTROYING ITSELF.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #135 of 184
It was found today that the latest Android update, 4.3, includes a fix for the memory issue on the old Nexus7. Rather than cheap memory it seems it was a software bug all along. Another bonus: Android 4.3 reportedly brings significant improvements in battery life too. Don't toss those old Nexus 7's yet.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7185/android-43-update-brings-trim-to-all-nexus-devices
Edited by Gatorguy - 7/30/13 at 3:39pm
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #136 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

It was found today that the latest Android update, 4.3,includes a fix for the memory issue on the old Nexus7. Rather than cheap memory it was a software bug all along.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7185/android-43-update-brings-trim-to-all-nexus-devices

 

It was not a software bug per se, but rather a feature that was not supported. Apple used to sell Macs with SSDs before they added TRIM support to OS X.

post #137 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

It was found today that the latest Android update, 4.3, includes a fix for the memory issue on the old Nexus7. Rather than cheap memory it seems it was a software bug all along. Another bonus: Android 4.3 reportedly brings significant improvements in battery life too. Don't toss those old Nexus 7's yet.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7185/android-43-update-brings-trim-to-all-nexus-devices

I still can't figure out who the heck is dumb enough to buy a tablet with only 8G of storage.  That's barely enough to do anything other than a basic reader and functionality.

post #138 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

It was not a software bug per se, but rather a feature that was not supported. Apple used to sell Macs with SSDs before they added TRIM support to OS X.

Ah, you're quite right. Thanks for the clarification and correction.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #139 of 184

Figure the odds on the thread title ever getting changed, to reflect the fact that it was not caused by "cheap" memory.

 

That's the trouble with the internet.  Bad info tends to stick around and get repeated forever, even though it should be so much easier to correct over print media.

post #140 of 184
An upgrade to android 4.3 resolves the fstrim problems which are causing the lag which should make a lot of people happy.Also some of the latest custom 4.3 ROMs are very fast and slick. My old model with latest vanir nightly ROM get an antutu score of 17298 on stock settings.
post #141 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by sesdave View Post

An upgrade to android 4.3 resolves the fstrim problems which are causing the lag which should make a lot of people happy.Also some of the latest custom 4.3 ROMs are very fast and slick. My old model with latest vanir nightly ROM get an antutu score of 17298 on stock settings. In addition the latest nexus 7 blows all the competition away re performance and quality for the price. I think android only gets better going forward on the nexus 7 and other android tablets.

 

Well I'm pleased to hear that, as I'm sure will those users lucky enough to be able to upgrade their Android devices to 4.3

 

As for antutu, vanir and the rest and a score of 17298 I've no idea as I use my iPad to actually edit spreadsheets, watch video, play games, surf and more, not wasting my time running benchmark tests. It's easy to make a device that runs benchmarks well (in the same way that it's easy to make a car fast by putting a bigger engine in it!) but much more difficult to make the entire experience coherent and enjoyable. It's the latter where Apple's focus lies. The same applies to the "blows all the competition away re performance" comment ... this tedious focus on performance above all again misses the point that the majority of users don't take any interest in performance figures as long as the device operates as they want. To use another analogy, it's rather like getting off on the speed and power of the motor in your food processor and paying little attention to whether it actually makes the pastry, grates properly and can purée boiling soup which would have been the reason that most people would have bought it in the first place!

 

I would hope that Android would improve otherwise there's no reason to change it is there? Please also drop that irritating phrase "going forward"; it's absolutely meaningless as you can see by removing it from your sentence which makes no difference to its meaning. Mind you, you're not alone on this one by any means. Sadly ...

post #142 of 184

Picky comments - I don't need an english grammar lesson!.  Fair enough on Antutu - benchmarks can vary but still a valid comment -. performance is a factor customers  should consider when buying a device unless your  happy with slow response and lag. All Nexus users can upgrade to 4.3. I think you will find that the Nexus 7  can operate equally efficiently as any other tablet on the market  and is the best bang for your buck which is what it is all about. Have you looked at a Nexus 7 2013? It a class product for the price. Course if  its a product  name that  you must have irrespective of anything else  then all the factors are meaningless as you will follow the herd lol.

post #143 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by sesdave View Post
 

Picky comments - I don't need an english grammar lesson!.  Fair enough on Antutu - benchmarks can vary but still a valid comment -. performance is a factor customers  should consider when buying a device unless your  happy with slow response and lag. All Nexus users can upgrade to 4.3. I think you will find that the Nexus 7  can operate equally efficiently as any other tablet on the market  and is the best bang for your buck which is what it is all about. Have you looked at a Nexus 7 2013? It a class product for the price. Course if  its a product  name that  you must have irrespective of anything else  then all the factors are meaningless as you will follow the herd lol.

 

The problem with Android as a platform is that if you want to use more specialty type apps, they aren't on Android. In the music creation and production industry, Android apps pretty are non-existent.  There are a LOT of apps that simply don't exist on Android, but do exist on iOS.   There are several reasons for this.  If you are just looking for a basic tablet, anything will sufice, but for people that are in a lot of industries where specialty apps are the driving force, iOS is the choice for MOST professionals.  It's just fact.  Apple has more business in a lot of different markets that Android doesn't have and probably won't ever get to the same level for these markets.  Why? They don't integrate very well with apps that are written for OS X and Windows.

 

Take for example, Logic and Final Cut Pro.  Two software apps meant for prosumers, education and professionals.  These two products are taught at pretty much all colleges and trade schools getting kids into a profession.   Well, there are apps that Apple or 3rd party developers, plus various hardware that allows a Logic or FCP user to integrate an iPad into a workstation running Logic and/or FCP to enable the tablet to become a part of their workstation.

 

Heck, there's even a 48 channel DAW that runs on iOS and the reason why they can't make it run on Android is because Apple already has their Core Audio integrated into the OS and it just handles audio much better.  So even if they wanted to produce an Android version right now, it would completely suck.  The same thing is happening with other facets of the music industry, there are the big major players that develop iOS apps and hardware and they aren't even touching Android.  Most airlines that are deploying tablets are deploying iOS, not as much with Android.  This is permeating into hospitals, doctors and dentist offices, retail stores, restaurants, hotels, etc.   Android tablets are really meant for those that want to THINK they have something better than an iPad, but in reality, don't.  Specs can take you so far, and then it comes down to apps, 3rd party hardware, reliability, support, and market acceptance within an industry that counts, not how many cheap tablets they can sell to countries with a bunch of poor people that just want basic computing.  Same thing applies to $1000 to $3000 laptops vs $400 laptops and the Chromebook that sells for $250.

post #144 of 184

Nicely written and I think from a business users perspective yes you should buy what supports your requirements whatever the platform . From a mass market sales viewpoint I think the requirement and appeal  is much more simple - most people just want a tablet  that gives them access to  email, internet, Skype, facebook, play movies, music and  games etc. Thats where performance and visual quality do count when chosing a device and value for money counts a lot. The rest lies  down to marketing and thats where Apple have the upper hand at the moment. The competition were late into the tablet market but are catching up fast.  You heard of android TouchDAW by the way lol.

post #145 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by sesdave View Post
 

Nicely written and I think from a business users perspective yes you should buy what supports your requirements whatever the platform . From a mass market sales viewpoint I think the requirement and appeal  is much more simple - most people just want a tablet  that gives them access to  email, internet, Skype, facebook, play movies, music and  games etc. Thats where performance and visual quality do count when chosing a device and value for money counts a lot. The rest lies  down to marketing and thats where Apple have the upper hand at the moment. The competition were late into the tablet market but are catching up fast.  You heard of android TouchDAW by the way lol.

 

No, I haven't heard of TouchDAW.   It's just a controller not an actual DAW that one can record up to 24 tracks simultaniously and control up to 48 channels.  So, please don't confuse TouchDAW to Auria, one is just a controller, which there are plenty for iOS, and Auria which is a fully functioning DAW workstation.  You can connect a multichannel AD/DA converter to the iPad with the camera connection kit.  

 

In this instance, the skeuomorphic UI is the right way of doing things.  Plus the plug-ins work the same way you would expect.  Like a professional DAW.  A DAW isn't the only thing out on iOS.  There are a LOT of companies that simply won't even touch Android for the music industry and the ones that do are the companies that cater towards people with no money.  If Apple kicks out a 64 bit iPad within a month or two, which is more likely GOING to happen, you might as well kiss your Android product off the face of the earth.  Apple will have a MUCH faster adoption of 64 bit based apps and the professionals will go to Apple.

 

post #146 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by sesdave View Post
 

Nicely written and I think from a business users perspective yes you should buy what supports your requirements whatever the platform . From a mass market sales viewpoint I think the requirement and appeal  is much more simple - most people just want a tablet  that gives them access to  email, internet, Skype, facebook, play movies, music and  games etc. Thats where performance and visual quality do count when chosing a device and value for money counts a lot. The rest lies  down to marketing and thats where Apple have the upper hand at the moment. The competition were late into the tablet market but are catching up fast.  You heard of android TouchDAW by the way lol.

 

It's like this.  You have a toy with an Android product..  So please think about growing up and maturing into an adult, otherwise, you may end up becoming an Hemorrhoid.

 

Yeah, for your average Joe Blow that doesn't really do anything that requires specialty software, anything will work.  It might not be the best thing in town, but it will work, I guess.  But if you want to have a BIG choice of apps, hardware that cater to various industries and designed for a tablet rather than smartphone apps installed on a tablet, go with Apple.  Apple has far better support not only from Apple, but the various industries you might find yourself becoming involved in someday as a professional.  If you look at the big bands, engineers, etc., they aren't using Android products for the most part unless Samsung, etc. pays them to.  Go to a concert where people are using computers/tablets on stage.  You'll see Apple 99% of the time. Go into any professional recording studio.  You'll see Apple 99% of the time.  Go to NAMM show, walk around.  You'll see pretty much iPads, MacBooks of various types practically everywhere.  It's just that's where things are at.  Top colleges and schools are using Apple, not Android..   Seriously.  Use the tools that more professionals use, so when you do grow up, they'll treat you more as an equal.

post #147 of 184

I am already grown up which is why I can make  an  informed decision as to what I buy .  Working  in I.T. since 1970 helps as well lol.   I like the Android interface as it is simpler and slicker than IOS to use from a personal perspective. The tablet  works and is great value for the money.  If I want to use business apps I have a laptop and desktop - running windows 8 of course lol. Everyone to their own. Lets get this thread back on track - its about problems with the nexus 7 not how good apple products are. 


Edited by sesdave - 9/10/13 at 10:20pm
post #148 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by sesdave View Post
 

I am already grown up which is why I can make  an  informed decision as to what I buy .  Working  in I.T. since 1970 helps as well lol.   I like the Android interface as it is simpler and slicker than IOS to use from a personal perspective. The tablet  works and is great value for the money.  If I want to use business apps I have a laptop and desktop - running windows 8 of course lol. Everyone to their own.  

 

What do you mean "working in IT"?  That's a nebulous statement.   Well, then go to another site that discusses the platform you chose.  I've worked in IT since the mid 80's when PCs started to become popular.   Trust me, I've known a lot of IT people make the dumbest decisions, yet since they worked in IT, they thought they knew everything.  Most IT people that I've been around only know how to do certain things and making business decisions isn't one of them.  I'm too old to even want to know about Android.  I know more than i care to.

 

For someone in IT, you obviously aren't looking at this from a business person's mentality.   You just talk about the OS,  the OS is only the portion that runs apps.  If the apps aren't there, then the OS is useless.  It all depends on what you want to do. If you just want the basics of what a tablet comes with then you can run just about anything.  But if you want a secure OS, from a company that's been in this industry a LONG time, has the most 3rd party apps/hardware and is generally accepted as the platform of choice for MOST professionals, Android isn' the answer.  IT's just a wannabe, me too platform so Google can try to capture or force people to use Google search and YouTube.  I don't consider Google any type of serious consideration as an IT product that I would want connected to my business, even if my employees wanted it. I would simply tell them to look for a job elsewhere.  I wouldn't want that crap on the network.  Come on. Do you know how much malware is on the Android platform?   Or maybe since you use Windows, you are kind of ignorant or callous to that and maybe you just don't mind the malware problem, because it gives you job security.

 

Sorry, but this "I've been in IT for a billion years doesn't mean a thing to me."   It's a myth that being in IT gives you the ability to make better decisions.  It should, but it doesn't.  Why do you think Cisco dumped their own Android tablet in favor of iPads?  Why do you think IBM buys iPads?  Why do you think most of the school systems are buying iPads?  Why do you think a lot of other corporations are buying iPads?  Their decisions are not based on price or specs of a particular product.  First you have to evaluate the platform on ALL of it's merits.  If Nexus tablets were so great, then why do they have to price them a lot cheaper than an iPad, just to get whatever business they can get?  Which isn't that many.  The Nexus 10 was a bomb.  The Nexus 7 only sold around 7 million units as of a couple of months ago, which is about what Apple shipped in the first month of the iPad.  The Nexus products are more for developers developing s/w, they aren't really meant for Joe Consumer.

post #149 of 184

Do you work for Apple? If you don't you should consider it as you bang the drum for their products and software in an eloquent fashion. Damn good marketing - another one totally bought in to their product range and software tie in lol

post #150 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by sesdave View Post
 

Do you work for Apple? If you don't you should consider it as you bang the drum for their products and software in an eloquent fashion. Damn good marketing - another one totally bought in to their product range and software tie in lol

 

No.  I don't work for Apple.  I have never worked for Apple.    I have my own reasons on why I don't work there.  I also don't live in an area for which there are jobs that I'm interested in or qualified for.  I have used and sold PCs and Macs for years since they both came on to the market and used both platforms side by side.  What I enjoy doing is analyzing the market.  Apple seems to be the only company that actually has any excitement with regards to new product announcements.  Sure, Apple isn't perfect, but who is?  Believe me, if i had a couple of days to spend with Ive, and the others that are involved with product design and other aspects of the company,  I would rip some egos pretty easily and let them know, NICELY in my own special way what they should be doing.  In some areas, they are doing fine, in others they could use a little improvement.  But I do submit suggestions and comments directly to them for their review.

 

I think the change over to 64 bit processors is a game changer.  I obviously think that at least the new iPad 5 will have a A7(most likely X version) processor, which would be consistent with how they announce new processors.  Will they have that in a new iPad Mini?  I'm not sure if they will or not, or if it's actually needed just yet for that market.   I'm just waiting to see this IGZO technology and what it's all about.  I've read about it, but haven't seen it up close and personal.

post #151 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by sesdave View Post
 

Picky comments - I don't need an english grammar lesson!.  Fair enough on Antutu - benchmarks can vary but still a valid comment -. performance is a factor customers  should consider when buying a device unless your  happy with slow response and lag. All Nexus users can upgrade to 4.3. I think you will find that the Nexus 7  can operate equally efficiently as any other tablet on the market  and is the best bang for your buck which is what it is all about. Have you looked at a Nexus 7 2013? It a class product for the price. Course if  its a product  name that  you must have irrespective of anything else  then all the factors are meaningless as you will follow the herd lol.

 

That's not a grammar lesson, simply a criticism of the meaningless use of that "hip" phrase! It's just that in the last couple of years I've seen "going forward", used so much I guess I just snapped! Sorry.

 

I didn't say performance wasn't a factor. I said " the majority of users don't take any interest in performance figures as long as the device operates as they want". Performance, like functionality, quality of physical construction, reliability, application availability, battery life, and so on combine to make a harmonious whole. There's no point in having blazing performance if the device only lasts two hours on a charge.

 

You said that "the Nexus 7  ... is the best bang for your buck which is what it is all about". Well, that depends on what your purchase criteria are and as above, if you factor in more than just processor benchmarks to make your purchasing decisions then you should consider:- app availability, the number of apps making full use of the tablet's screen (say), lack of malware, screen quality and clarity, speaker quality, recording clarity, video recording performance and much more besides. I happen to believe that Apple makes better compromises on their products than anyone else. You believe otherwise and that's fine.


Edited by KiltedGreen - 9/11/13 at 2:52am
post #152 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
 

 

No.  I don't work for Apple.  I have never worked for Apple.    I have my own reasons on why I don't work there.  I also don't live in an area for which there are jobs that I'm interested in or qualified for.  I have used and sold PCs and Macs for years since they both came on to the market and used both platforms side by side.  What I enjoy doing is analyzing the market.  Apple seems to be the only company that actually has any excitement with regards to new product announcements.  Sure, Apple isn't perfect, but who is?  Believe me, if i had a couple of days to spend with Ive, and the others that are involved with product design and other aspects of the company,  I would rip some egos pretty easily and let them know, NICELY in my own special way what they should be doing.  In some areas, they are doing fine, in others they could use a little improvement.  But I do submit suggestions and comments directly to them for their review.

 

I think the change over to 64 bit processors is a game changer.  I obviously think that at least the new iPad 5 will have a A7(most likely X version) processor, which would be consistent with how they announce new processors.  Will they have that in a new iPad Mini?  I'm not sure if they will or not, or if it's actually needed just yet for that market.   I'm just waiting to see this IGZO technology and what it's all about.  I've read about it, but haven't seen it up close and personal.

 

Fair comments - I am not knocking the Apple build quality,selection of available software,  support etc . I just like to have a choice of what I do with something I buy.   I don't like the imposed restrictions and software family tie in.  Its not for me - I am an old gamer from the Doom days and I like to build my hardware , modify software and install custom Op systems where possible. On phones and tablets that leans me towards Android as open source.  If I bought Apple first thing I would do is jailbreak it lol . Its a personal view - all the points you made are good ones and I don't seek to challenge them.  If I were running a business Apple products would certainly be a contender.

post #153 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by sesdave View Post
 

I am already grown up which is why I can make  an  informed decision as to what I buy .  Working  in I.T. since 1970 helps as well lol.   I like the Android interface as it is simpler and slicker than IOS to use from a personal perspective. The tablet  works and is great value for the money.  If I want to use business apps I have a laptop and desktop - running windows 8 of course lol. Everyone to their own. Lets get this thread back on track - its about problems with the nexus 7 not how good apple products are. 

 

Why waste money on a Nexus then, when a $49 tablet will give you much the same functionality?

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #154 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post
 

 

Why waste money on a Nexus then, when a $49 tablet will give you much the same functionality?

 

Haha replace Nexus with ipad mini and you have a more acurate statement. Actually thats not fair - many  cheaper  tablets will give you same functionality all be it on a lower version of Android with some limited capabilities.e.g. GPS , Wifi range.  Just depends what levels of visual and performance u accept and what the lifespan of the purchase is. $49 tablet tend to die quick. Me I like my Nexus - you I suspect like your ipad mini - everyone to their own. The Android vs IOS arguement gets boring after a while. Android and IOS both have their good and bad points as do the hardware that host them . Hardware and operating systems continue to develop and improve  as does the  the marketing of them as the latest and best thing.  Most people will chose what best suits their needs and are mostly happy with their choice whatever is may be. Some must just have the latest product to show off irrespective of what it can do. Me - I just need something  thats reasonably well built, does all the required basics well  with a good wifi range, GPS, good visuals, responsive IPS and fast application response times. I don't need an SD card slot - I can use stickmount or Googledrive for extra storage.  I also want the ability to be able to hack the system and get root access. This allows the installation of root software apps e.g. stickmount  and  custom Roms - the numerous ROMs give additional features, enhanced performance and  also enhance my end user experience. Stops me from getting bored as I can mod  my system when  I feel like it. The Nexus 7 gives me all that for a fair price and I am happy.


Edited by sesdave - 9/12/13 at 1:08am
post #155 of 184
That's really odd because I've had my nexus7 almost two years and its still fast and flashy no lag just raw power into every game on the market and its a 16 GB wit 21 second boot time
post #156 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by elitenexus7 View Post

That's really odd because I've had my nexus7 almost two years and its still fast and flashy no lag just raw power into every game on the market and its a 16 GB wit 21 second boot time

 

I don't believe that for a single second...I own a 2012 & 2013 Nexus 7.....the 2013 has occasional lag, the 2012 slows down horribly, randomly reboots & in general a pretty bad experience, the 2013 is a massive improvement, its actually a pretty good device.
 

post #157 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

I don't believe that for a single second...I own a 2012 & 2013 Nexus 7.....the 2013 has occasional lag, the 2012 slows down horribly, randomly reboots & in general a pretty bad experience, the 2013 is a massive improvement, its actually a pretty good device.

 

I've had no issues with my 2012 version Nexus 7 either. I use it for several hours a week and I can't remember the last random reboot nor do I notice any "slowdown". I don't play games on it tho, so perhaps that's the difference.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #158 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


I've had no issues with my 2012 version Nexus 7 either. I use it for several hours a week and I can't remember the last random reboot nor do I notice any "slowdown". I don't play games on it tho, so perhaps that's the difference.

 

It could be the difference, the Play store apps aren't checked to the same level as the app store (doubt that the play store is checked at all). it could be an app/game/service running, thats making it so unstable?, the 2013 has alot more on it tho, i got the 32gb one. its really stable so far, ill be selling my 2012 one, after kitkat comes out, I'm wanting to check if that helps it. 

My S4 runs like poo, my nexus 5 is going great, i go between my iPhone 5 & nexus 5, the overall experience is so so different between every android device, iOS is so consistent, i love consistency. 

Even tho im an "Apple guy" i love all tech.

post #159 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zozman View Post
 

 

It could be the difference, the Play store apps aren't checked to the same level as the app store (doubt that the play store is checked at all). it could be an app/game/service running, thats making it so unstable?, the 2013 has alot more on it tho, i got the 32gb one. its really stable so far, ill be selling my 2012 one, after kitkat comes out, I'm wanting to check if that helps it. 

My S4 runs like poo, my nexus 5 is going great, i go between my iPhone 5 & nexus 5, the overall experience is so so different between every android device, iOS is so consistent, i love consistency. 

Even tho im an "Apple guy" i love all tech.

Just stick with Nexus products and you will have the Constancy you are looking for. Though I have never had a Nexus 4 or 5, I have owned a Nexus 7 and now a Nexus 7 v2 in which my daughter stole off of me. She had a iPad Mini but actually prefers the Nexus 7v2 because of the screen, speed and it has 4G where her Mini didn't, she plays mostly games, Facebook and Twitter and I think for that the Nexus 7v2 is the perfect cheap tablet. Though she has started to use it as a mini laptop with Kingsoft Office, she found a cheap bluetooth keyboard and is now a extremely fast typist with it to my surprise. Those who do go the Android route, the Nexus series of products is really your only trued choice, the rest is just a wast of time. with all of their silly slow skins.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #160 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
 

I still can't figure out who the heck is dumb enough to buy a tablet with only 8G of storage.  That's barely enough to do anything other than a basic reader and functionality.

the 16GB and 32GB sold a lot more then the 8GB. 8Gb is just stupid now..

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Google's Nexus 7 tablets dying early due to defective hardware and software [u]
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google's Nexus 7 tablets dying early due to defective hardware and software [u]