or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google's Nexus 7 tablets dying early due to defective hardware and software [u]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google's Nexus 7 tablets dying early due to defective hardware and software [u] - Page 3

post #81 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

Addendum: The trolls' attempts to portray an equivalence in the reliability of the iPad vs the nexus are pretty funny.

 

At least they're not denying it outright.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyancat2 View Post

In addition to the trim bug mentioned in the article in my experience with Android it has a lot to do with how much stuff is installed on the device. Android phones and tablets often have difficulty when you fill up the capacity near to the maximum with a lot of apps.

 

Google does have it easy though. Android 4.2 JB was heavily infested with bugs and gave me all sorts of headaches when I moved up from 4.1 and I wasn't the only one. However nobody complained in the tech media and blogs about it even though the bugginess of 4.2 gave me so much more troubles than the supposed failure of Apple Maps ever did. 

 

Google can do no wrong among the tech media. They give free candy to geeks and promise openness and gardens without walls to keep out the viruses and trojans. They even made a feature-length ad with Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson. Wow, they're perfect.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

And as a small side note it is a breath of fresh air not to have to see the partial quote breakdowns and snippy comments of he who shall not be named.

 

I wonder who that could be...? 1hmm.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #82 of 184

A month ago I dropped my iPad 2 on the restroom and it dived head straight to the granite floor. The case shattered and my heart stopped for a split second. I thought my iPad had gone but only the compass' dead. Everything else works just like they used to do.

 

I understand that some people may not like Apple and that's fine but this case and my case just show that you get what you pay for indeed.

post #83 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

 

I have an original iPad and it still runs fairly well, but it sure feels slow. Slower than I remember, but the fact is, I can't remember how slow it ran when I originally got it and there's nothing to compare it with. Instead what happened is I started comparing it to how fast stuff worked on my newer iPhones. And it really does seem like the iPad has gotten slower and slower with each new iPhone I've purchased.

 

A more extreme example... When I got my Mac SE, it was the greatest computer I ever owned, not once did I ever notice any kind of lag. I boot that sucker up today and I can't believe I was able to get anything done on it!? It is ridiculously slow compared to today's computers, but it still runs exactly as it did then.

 

My original iPad running iOS5 is way slower than my 5th gen iPod touch running iOS6. But the iPad is a lot quicker than the iPod 2 running iOS4 that my latest iPod replaced.

 

Things don't quite run "exactly as they did then". When I bought my iPad it ran iOS3 and was quick. Then iOS4 came out taking advantage of the newer and faster hardware so my iPad slowed a bit. Then iOS5 was released to take advantage of the increased speed of the latest Apple hardware - remember how things like drop shadows on the home screen wouldn't work on devices like my iPod 2nd gen that weren't up to the job? iOS5 really slowed down my iPad and now of course my 5th gen iPod touch running iOS6 now runs circles round my iPad.

 

Your latest iPhone running iOS6 will get a bit slower when iOS7 is released which naturally will be optimised for the new faster hardware that Apple will introduce at the same time. Your shiny speedy current latest iPhone will start feeling slow and ponderous by the time you install iOS8. Oops. Time to update to the latest speedy iPhone ...

 

If you think how much computer power the latest iPhone (let alone Macintosh) sports now compared to the original Macintosh with its 128K RAM and B&W screen you would expect absolutely screaming speeds from even the original iPhone. However, what I have is an iPad which can sometimes take as long to load up an app as the original Mac would yet I doubt very much that the Macintosh was anywhere near powerful enough to even run iOS1! In fact, iOS 1 is way to big to even FIT on an original Macintosh!

 

Interestingly though, John Siracusa said - thought at which point release I can't remember - that OS X ran faster with each release when running on the same hardware. That is no longer possible to test as early versions for PPC wouldn't run on today's hardware but I can't help feeling that if it did it may no longer be the case.

post #84 of 184

This is a law of the Universe; "fast, cheap and good -- pick any two."

 

Google should have known better.

post #85 of 184
You get the impression that these companies Asus, acer et al are really just trying to make a fast buck. Once the sale is made it's move on, very little support in terms of updates and hardware support. If you want cheap good support is one of the first things you loose.
post #86 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Very misleading thread title, and from that and the details in the article, it's easy to tell that the author is technically ignorant about Flash.

 

It has nothing to do with "cheap memory".  Heck, Apple uses the least expensive type for their iOS devices as well.

 

Daywalker gave the best comment:  apparently there was a bug in some software versions where the Flash Trim command was not given when files were deleted.  Without that command, the Flash controller would not know which memory blocks it could do reclamation on ahead of time.

 

What would be nice, though, is if Google came out with either a fixit program or offered a replacement tablet.

 

Hey, in 2011 I paid $250 for an ex-demo 2010 iPad.

 

Still works just as well as the day I brought it home, in fact after one of the iOS updates Safari definitely became snappier.

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #87 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Scientists should conduct a study of the minds of cheapskates and figure out what leads these people to constantly make bad decisions and poor choices. Many serial killers have abnormal brains. What makes a Fandroid's brain tick, and are there any abnormalities present there also?

 

These cheapskates think that they're saving a buck, but their scrooge like behavior actually ends up costing them a whole lot more in the long run.

 

If I were a financially challenged individual, the last thing that I would buy is any kind of Android tablet. I'd rather wait a bit, save up some money, and get an awesome iPad, which I know will last me many years and will function great the whole time.

I also don't think that any Android tablet purchaser has a right to complain really, because you basically got what you paid for. 

 

Oh geesh, that was the snobbiest, most negative post I have read in a long time. Yes, yes anything with a Apple on the back is superior, I get it. I have owned 5 Android tablets, everyone of them an absolute pleasure to use. Xoom, Asus Transformer, Asus Transformer Infinity, Xoom II and Samsung Galaxy 7.7. Oh and a Nook but I don't think that counts. I still have the Xoom II, it's basically indestructible, water resistant, fantastic build, actually if you check eBay the used ones are still going for the same price as the new. I don't buy Android tablets because their the cheapest, quite the contrary I buy the best I can at the time. I like premium products like the next person but because the OS is Android that doesn't make me ill in the head. iOS is a closed platform, your forced to use a system that is dictated by Apple. I don't have a problem with that as the app selection makes up for it. I am a uber geek, the Android OS gives me the freedom to do what I want. The FX file-manager is an invaluable tool, I can connect to every server at my work, home, Internet provider and cloud in one app, moving files and editing have never been easier. I have a LAMP server, Perl, Python, BASH, having a mini development server is extremely useful. I can connect a HD to it and create a NAS server. I can go on all day about the neat little things I can do and why I use Android but that will never change your mind because your a tech bigot.

 

I don't mean to single you out but you have 655 posts all screaming about how much Android sucks, we get it already. Calling the people using it idiots though is not very nice. Believe me I fully understand the negatives and positives of every gadget I own, Android has enough positives where it's very useful to me.


Edited by Relic - 6/19/13 at 3:59am
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #88 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

 

Hey, in 2011 I paid $250 for an ex-demo 2010 iPad.

 

Still works just as well as the day I brought it home, in fact after one of the iOS updates Safari definitely became snappier.

 

Hey, I bought a refurb about the same time for my daughter.   It's been through a lot of drops, and I love its battery life.

 

However, Safari and other apps like YouTube quite often crash back to the homescreen nowadays.

 

Probably time to try a hard reset.

post #89 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I am a uber geek, the Android OS gives me the freedom to do what I want. The FX file-manager is an invaluable tool, I can connect to every server at my work, home, Internet provider and cloud in one app, moving files and editing have never been easier. I have a LAMP server, Perl, Python, BASH, having a mini development server is extremely useful. I can connect a HD to it and create a NAS server. I can go on all day about the neat little things I can do and why I use Android but that will never change your mind because your a tech bigot.

When I read that a funny thought occurred. I know some uber geeks and their personal tablets are always iPad. In fact, the most accomplished one doesn't even want to touch Android. How is that? Is there something wrong with them? Or with you?
And I almost never heard they referred to themselves as uber geeks despite being ones. Hmm....
post #90 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post


When I read that a funny thought occurred. I know some uber geeks and their personal tablets are always iPad. In fact, the most accomplished one doesn't even want to touch Android. How is that? Is there something wrong with them? Or with you?
And I almost never heard they referred to themselves as uber geeks despite being ones. Hmm....

There is nothing wrong with either of us, it's all about preferences. I just happen to have a iPad, Xoom II and a ThinkPad Tablet II, I use and like all three of them. I don't see the need for a militant hatred for anything, especially a OS. I used the term uber geek as in, "I'm really, really into technology" not as in, "I'm the best at all things technological", I am accomplished though. It's nice to see you have friends though.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #91 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

Having said that, Apple products are far better than Android ones and Apple has great customer service so getting things fixed on a buggy or laggy iPod is much easier than on a nexus 7. And Apple products are made to last longer. We just upgrade because we want to! (Or they are no longer supported/upgrade able to the new iOS)

Android users wish they could upgrade to the new OSs. But not only were they not designed to handle the upgrades, but they likely wouldn't even make it through Apple's usual 3-4 year "free" upgrade cycle. Only iOS 4 on the 3G seemed to work slower (although it was over 2 years old too). Outside of that, every iteration actually performs better.

Apple is amazing, and people can make fun of "it just works"- but because stories like this are a dime a dozen- it's simply true!

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #92 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

It's nice to see you have friends though.

Does that imply something? You are beginning to go into the danger zone.

Btw, I don't hate the OS but my moral backbone won't allow me to support a certain company more than I'm needed to.
post #93 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

This is a law of the Universe; "fast, cheap and good -- pick any two."

Women, it appears, don't fall within the boundaries of the universe's laws.

At least, not this particular universe.
If you're going to be original, then you can count on being copied.
Reply
If you're going to be original, then you can count on being copied.
Reply
post #94 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post


Women, it appears, don't fall within the boundaries of the universe's laws.

At least, not this particular universe.

 

Try interacting with some non-inflatable ones sometime.

post #95 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by stike vomit View Post

Try interacting with some non-inflatable ones sometime.

 

lol.gif

 

This did, and still is, giving me a good laugh.

 

Even an out loud one.

 

It is, however, a reminder to the rest of us to be more respectful of our mothers than Mr Vomit just was.

If you're going to be original, then you can count on being copied.
Reply
If you're going to be original, then you can count on being copied.
Reply
post #96 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

 

lol.gif

 

This did, and still is, giving me a good laugh.

 

Even an out loud one.

 

It is, however, a reminder to the rest of us to be more respectful of our mothers than Mr Vomit just was.

1wink.gif

post #97 of 184
This has not been my experience. I ordered a 16gb Nexus 7 on the day they were announced, and it's still working flawlessly. In fact, battery life seems to be better than a year ago. If people are experiencing slowdowns, I strongly suspect it's because they have loaded too much stuff; I always try to keep a minimum of 4 gb free storage space, as there have been reports of Android slowing down when free space drops below 3 GB. Android supports widgets and multiple user accounts on a single device, iOS still doesn't.

@trumptman : Android supports backing up your device, and will restore from backup if it is wiped (although this is something I have never needed to do because it's been utterly stable).

Meanwhile, my wife is unable to update iOS on her 8 GB iPod Touch, no matter how much data she deletes (including her entire music library). We bought a Macbook Air last August, which failed in 10 days. Apple Store wouldn't touch it because we purchased from Amazon.com.
post #98 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden View Post

If people are experiencing slowdowns, I strongly suspect it's because they have loaded too much stuff; I always try to keep a minimum of 4 gb free storage space, as there have been reports of Android slowing down when free space drops below 3 GB. Android supports widgets and multiple user accounts on a single device, iOS still doesn't.
iOS can go to full capacity and not slow down. You even admit android is worse.
Quote:
Meanwhile, my wife is unable to update iOS on her 8 GB iPod Touch, no matter how much data she deletes (including her entire music library).
Not true. Depending on what model- it'll support two updates. This is just a lie.
Quote:
We bought a Macbook Air last August, which failed in 10 days. Apple Store wouldn't touch it because we purchased from Amazon.com.
Also a lie. Amazon is an Apple authorized vendor. Additionally, I've purchased several apple products used off Craigslist and they all maintain their warranty. Apple doesn't care where you bought it from. They use their purchase date, and then you register it, and they go 100% solely on that. Since you're an android user, I know you aren't used to product support, but Apple is consistently the best rated in satisfaction- by a staggering amount in every single study. Facts don't lie, but your lies do.

So based on the fact you're obviously lying in 2/3 your post- we can assume the first third is a lie too. Go be a troll elsewhere- your stupidity is not warranted here.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #99 of 184
...but it's open.
post #100 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post


Does that imply something? You are beginning to go into the danger zone.

Btw, I don't hate the OS but my moral backbone won't allow me to support a certain company more than I'm needed to.

I didn't mean anything by it, don't get your feathers bent out of shape over an anonymous Internet posting.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #101 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Scientists should conduct a study of the minds of cheapskates and figure out what leads these people to constantly make bad decisions and poor choices. Many serial killers have abnormal brains. What makes a Fandroid's brain tick, and are there any abnormalities present there also?

 

These cheapskates think that they're saving a buck, but their scrooge like behavior actually ends up costing them a whole lot more in the long run.

 

If I were a financially challenged individual, the last thing that I would buy is any kind of Android tablet. I'd rather wait a bit, save up some money, and get an awesome iPad, which I know will last me many years and will function great the whole time.

 

You don't want that.  The brains of people that hate Apple probably function almost identical to brains of people that hate Android.   Brain chemistry causes behavior but the subject of that behavior has more to do with life experiences.  No one in either group wants to realize that when it comes down to science, they're more similar than they are dissimilar.  There would probably be mass suicides. 1biggrin.gif

 

 

I've had plenty of people act like I am nuts for buying Apple.  I honestly see no difference in the people that believe I am brainwashed Apple "fanboy" and those that call anyone buying Android devices "fandroids". From where I sit, it is entertaining hilarious how similar the two groups are without realizing it.  The only difference is the products they buy.  Keep in mind, I don't look down on either group.  I imagine both are incredibly loyal to companies as well as friends and family.  Loyalty is more often something to admire than criticize, but it can make you do and say some crazy things sometimes.

 

As for me, they are inanimate objects.  I think a person is a lot more than the tablet or phone they carry.  I guess what I lack in loyalty I try to make up for in practicality.


Edited by rednival - 6/19/13 at 7:41am
post #102 of 184
This is not a hardware issue it is totally a software issue. It just shows the idiot who originally review these product and not refute their review has not clue about hardware and software.

This is not limited to the tablet it is across the board for any android device. if you do not power cycle the device from time to time the software becomes slow and unresponsive. I have an year old android phone is it too has slowed up and reboot it and reset does not clear the issues. It is kind of like PC and after time they become slow. For years M$ tried to make people think it was the hardware failing or slowing down. Remember electron travel at the speed of light and never slow down.
post #103 of 184

I bought five 1st gen iPads for my family a few months after their release, they are all still working at full power and speed this day, even though a few of them have been dropped and treated roughly. 

post #104 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I didn't mean anything by it, don't get your feathers bent out of shape over an anonymous Internet posting.

No feathers bent. Just want to make sure because it's just .. a weird sentence and out of place. You seem to be an emotional person.  :)

post #105 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I didn't mean anything by it, don't get your feathers bent out of shape over an anonymous Internet posting.

 

I think anyone who writes, "don't get your feathers bent out of shape over an anonymous Internet posting," wants nothing more than to provoke the target of those words into getting their feathers bent out of shape -- i.e., you're blatantly trolling.

post #106 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden View Post

Meanwhile, my wife is unable to update iOS on her 8 GB iPod Touch, no matter how much data she deletes (including her entire music library). We bought a Macbook Air last August, which failed in 10 days. Apple Store wouldn't touch it because we purchased from Amazon.com.

Pure Grade A BS. The MBA has at least a 90 day warranty.
post #107 of 184
Ah Dustin Early that renowned journalist with observations backed up by guests. Have you ever thought that it is simply spam?
post #108 of 184
Any bets on Dustin being an intern?
post #109 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

No feathers bent. Just want to make sure because it's just .. a weird sentence and out of place. You seem to be an emotional person.  :)

I'm a woman, were all emotional.1tongue.gif

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #110 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

 

I think anyone who writes, "don't get your feathers bent out of shape over an anonymous Internet posting," wants nothing more than to provoke the target of those words into getting their feathers bent out of shape -- i.e., you're blatantly trolling.

I replied to, "Does that imply something? You are beginning to go into the danger zone." Just defusing a situation. Wasn't trolling. I'm also Swiss and have no idea what I'm saying in English half the time.1biggrin.gif

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #111 of 184
Well I would have to say that any device becomes laggy after a lot of memory usage including IOS devices. Ive owned an apple I pod touch 4th generation 32gb and loaded it with apps but soon had to factory reset it because it became laggy and used up battery much quicker then it did after the factory reset. Also, the tegra 3 processor has been known to undergo older refining processes which could be another reason why your personal device has issues.
post #112 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

 

Oh geesh, that was the snobbiest, most negative post I have read in a long time. Yes, yes anything with a Apple on the back is superior, I get it. I have owned 5 Android tablets, everyone of them an absolute pleasure to use. Xoom, Asus Transformer, Asus Transformer Infinity, Xoom II and Samsung Galaxy 7.7. Oh and a Nook but I don't think that counts. I still have the Xoom II, it's basically indestructible, water resistant, fantastic build, actually if you check eBay the used ones are still going for the same price as the new.

 

So in the last 2.5 years that Android 3.0 has existed, you've gone through half a dozen different tablets? And you cite this as an example of how great Android tablets are? This is a curious argument to make. A tablet should last at least a year or two. Why are yours needing replacement every few months, because they are so great?

 

As for your ebay claim about the Xoom II selling used for the same price as new: bullshit. In current auctions, a 16GB 10.1 WiFi Xoom 2 new is $698 and a used one is asking $250. This is a model that's less than a year and a half old.

 

The Xoom was so underwhelming throughout 2011 that Google went to Asus to pop out the Nexus 7 in 2012. 

 

And Google isn't even rolling out last year's Android 4.1 to most Xoom models, let alone the latest 4.2 jelly bean. 

post #113 of 184
I was an early adopter of the Nexus 7 and have had no problems with it. Of course I am not a fan of tablets and use it only when traveling to read books. I don't have an excess of apps on it though I did put too much music on it.
Here is a website that discusses this and explains what the issue is (or was) and how to fix the problem if you have it. http://www.howtogeek.com/164106/why-is-my-nexus-7-so-slow-8-ways-to-speed-it-up-again/
Of course the author also points out that hardware can't compare to newer devices out there so that will impact the performance. (also a note of caution - if you are a techie you probably won't understand a bit of what the author says)
I actually searched the internet for information on this and there is not much out there. So to me this is the usual corporate marketing technique to bash the competition. Should not surprise anyone.
post #114 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romas27 View Post

So to me this is the usual corporate marketing technique to bash the competition. Should not surprise anyone.

Except Apple doesn't do that.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #115 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden View Post

We bought a Macbook Air last August, which failed in 10 days. Apple Store wouldn't touch it because we purchased from Amazon.com.

 

I call BS, or at least partial BS, on this one. I have brought a number of Macs to the local Apple store that I didn't buy at the Apple store, and the Genius Bar folks are always happy to help me. I don't know if I've ever been asked where I bought them.

 

If you're saying you bought a MacBook at Amazon, and you wanted the Apple Store to swap it out for a brand new one, I'd believe that. But (at least at my Apple store) if you have any problem with a Mac, in or out of warrantee, all you have to do is make an appointment, and the Genius folks will troubleshoot and advise for free.

 

Try that with a PC.

post #116 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden View Post

Meanwhile, my wife is unable to update iOS on her 8 GB iPod Touch, no matter how much data she deletes (including her entire music library). We bought a Macbook Air last August, which failed in 10 days. Apple Store wouldn't touch it because we purchased from Amazon.com.

As Ansdysol said, this is "a lie." There are enough people on these forums who have actual experience with Apple and its products to know when something posted is blatantly incorrect. I know FOR A FACT that Apple Stores honor warranties and exchange requests on new Macs even if you buy it from Amazon, MacMall, B&H, Best Buy, etc. They will not "turn you away." You might be able to post these falsehoods elsewhere and sucker people into believing it, but not here.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #117 of 184
I bought a Nexus 7 more a year ago and it is still performing very well. Not a single problem. It is performing so well then my wife is using more it than her iPad. Sharing Nexus 7 is not a problem since it supports multiple accounts. I like it very much. I can put it in the pocket of my jacket, it just fits. I will buy the Nexus 7 2 for sure since my wife is using more often. There is absolutely no reason to pay more for an iPad mini since I am not a fan. I buy whatever it is best for me.
post #118 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

 

So in the last 2.5 years that Android 3.0 has existed, you've gone through half a dozen different tablets? And you cite this as an example of how great Android tablets are? This is a curious argument to make. A tablet should last at least a year or two. Why are yours needing replacement every few months, because they are so great?

 

As for your ebay claim about the Xoom II selling used for the same price as new: bullshit. In current auctions, a 16GB 10.1 WiFi Xoom 2 new is $698 and a used one is asking $250. This is a model that's less than a year and a half old.

 

The Xoom was so underwhelming throughout 2011 that Google went to Asus to pop out the Nexus 7 in 2012. 

 

And Google isn't even rolling out last year's Android 4.1 to most Xoom models, let alone the latest 4.2 jelly bean. 

Oh, I have the LTE version, forgot to mention that, it holds it's value. I buy a new tablet every 6 months regardless of the state it's in, I sell them for 100 - 150 less then I paid for them and for the same price as one tablet I can have 4 in two years. Some tablets like the Samsung 7.7 were sold for the same price as I bought it, I buy tech from the US which is always cheaper then in Switzerland. I have an addiction to tech, I don't do it because there was a problem with the device. I did keep the Xoom II though as it's one of the best tablets I have ever owned.

 

I never, ever, use the default Android install for any of my tablets. I always use a small footprint ROM, the one I'm using now only uses 96MB of space, Android 4.2.2, has telephone and SMS functionality and is extremely quick(overclocked CPU & GPU with only 5% reduction in battery). The notion that only geeks do custom ROM because it's difficult is no longer an issue. There are now apps that install custom recovery software within the OS making it as easy as downloading a ROM, navigating to the download directory, selecting the ROM, clicking install, reboot. XDA has everything you need, it's fun, makes your tablet really fast and you'll always have the newest Android version. They make Android 4.2.2 ROM's for the 2009 HTC HD2 which was originally a Windows 6.5 so you can imagine that your devices will have support for at least 5 years. Even more extreme, do you have the original Android phone, HTC G1, no problem. Android 4.1.1 is available now with 4.2 to be released soon. This notion of once you go Android you will be stuck with the same version for all eternity is bogus.

 

Yes this isn't for everybody(requires a little tinkering), yes everyone on this forum will probably be better off with an iOS device but some of us still like Android regardless of your hatred. When I'm tired of Android I will probably install Ubuntu Touch, maybe Arch Linux, maybe Tizen, if it runs on ARM I can install it. By the way I feel the same way about iOS, Windows 8, Linux, Unix(Solaris, Irix, AIX, HP-UX, OSX), Amiga, RiscOS, BeOS, OpenVMS, I love OS's, I have never used an OS that I didn't appreciate or couldn't use, well maybe Windows ME but even that had it's uses. You might like one better then the other which is cool, but if you say you absolutely hate one then you just don't know how to use it or most likely never used it.1biggrin.gif


Edited by Relic - 6/19/13 at 2:21pm
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #119 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I owned one for a while. I also owned a Samsung Galaxy s3. It seems like every Android device deteriorates in performance after a while, especially if you load a large number of apps on them. I've sold them all on over time because I hate lag and do not enjoy dealing with the issues that seem to crop up in a short timeframe of a few month.

 

I can definitely confirm the lag on the Nexus 7.  This happened immediately after I crossed over the last 3GB free mark.  It's definitely a problem with the IO.  And I'm pretty sure the problem is with Asus.  The Transformer Prime had the same issue.  But my Galaxy S3 and nexus 10 are just as blazingly fast and responsive as they were on day 1.  I have tried all the lag fix and wipe-zero tools.  None of that stuff worked.  Interestingly, the 4.2.2 update seems to have improved the situation.  It's still nowhere near as smooth and fast as it was when I first got it or the Nexus 10.  My iPad mostly gathered dust, but even my first gen iPad got slow after a few months.  My friend's 32GB Nexus 7 is still just as fast - because he's not filled up his disk yet after months of use.

 

Quote:

I'd bet money that these tablets would have their issues clear up if they were wiped and they started fresh on them. It says something terrible that an option like that has to be considered and unlike Apple, there's no iTunes or even iCloud to help them get everything back to the same state again.

 

 

What are you talking about?  Everything on Android is backed up to the cloud.  From Android 1.x.  Long before iCloud was available.  The only exception is SMS and Call Logs.  I use Google Voice, so SMS is not an issue for me (backed to the cloud) and I can backup my call logs using any number of apps if I desire (I never bother).  I also have multiple copies of my apps (+data) backed up using Titanium Backup Pro locally.  I can do a full image backup (although probably not useful in this case).

post #120 of 184

It's unsurprising that in order to reduce costs Asus was forced to cut corners and put sub-optimal hardware in the Nexus 7. But if you consider the original price of $200 and that it lasted 1 year, consider it a tablet that you rented for $17 a month.

 

The real shame is that it's not even worthy of handing down to your kids or a friend.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Google's Nexus 7 tablets dying early due to defective hardware and software [u]
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google's Nexus 7 tablets dying early due to defective hardware and software [u]