or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › High resolution images claim to show 'iPhone 5S' and iPhone 5 display assemblies side-by-side
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

High resolution images claim to show 'iPhone 5S' and iPhone 5 display assemblies side-by-side

post #1 of 51
Thread Starter 
A set of high resolution images were posted to the Web late Tuesday claiming to show a side-by-side comparison of the display assemblies for Apple's iPhone 5 and a rumored next-generation model dubbed "iPhone 5S."

iPhone 5S Display
Source: FanaticFone.com


The photos come from FanaticFone, which alleges to have gotten their hands on a sample of the iPhone 5S display assembly some months before analysts expect Apple to unveil the next-gen handset.

Tuesday's high-resolution pictures come on the heels of an identical images revealed on Monday, which appeared to match up with a supposed iPhone 5S logic board "leaked" that same day. While Monday's photos appear to be congruent with the latest imagery, it is not clear whether the display assembly is a production model, a prototype, or merely a well-crafted mock-up.

iPhone 5S Display


FanaticFone's images, while clear and unobstructed, are of unusually high quality, with no shadows or digital artifacts. The photos' metadata shows the pictures were taken with a prosumer D-SLR without flash, meaning an external lighting source such as a light box was used to capture the nearly flawless images.

Assuming the part is legitimate, it appears as though Apple made only minor changes to the display assembly, with chassis anchor points, camera holes and even antenna plugs located in identical spot. The most obvious difference between the two components is the flex cable that feeds information and power to the panel, and touch data back to the handset.

As the end of Apple's annual refresh cycle draws near, an increasing number of purported leaks are showing up online. Supposed leaks include a new FaceTime camera, home button, dual-weight vibration motor, SIM tray, volume rocker, and mute switch.
post #2 of 51
Rumors...part pictures....gonna be a long summer of this stuff...

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #3 of 51

They don't look anything alike...

 

/s

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #4 of 51
If Apple does not launch a proper '14 phone sporting a larger screen and 1080p HD quality resolution, I take a flight, rent a car, go on infinite loop and sit naked on the grass until it happens. Hope these rumours are related to an iPhone mini (aka low-cost) than just an update on the low-wow iPhone 5.
post #5 of 51
I don't understand the redesign of the ribbon cable. It takes significant resources to redesign and retool something. I see no benefit to this unless they are going to add another feature to the phone.

After taking my iPhone 5 apart to replace the microphone, it looks like the ribbon cable would have to reach farther for something.
post #6 of 51

The 5S has its father's i's. 

post #7 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonbazar View Post

If Apple does not launch a proper '14 phone sporting a larger screen and 1080p HD quality resolution, I take a flight, rent a car, go on infinite loop and sit naked on the grass until it happens. Hope these rumours are related to an iPhone mini (aka low-cost) than just an update on the low-wow iPhone 5.

 

Be prepared to do that, though I doubt you are serious about it.

post #8 of 51
Looks more like the new S5 from Samsung.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
post #9 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonbazar View Post

If Apple does not launch a proper '14 phone sporting a larger screen and 1080p HD quality resolution, I take a flight, rent a car, go on infinite loop and sit naked on the grass until it happens. Hope these rumours are related to an iPhone mini (aka low-cost) than just an update on the low-wow iPhone 5.

If Apple waits long enough... you will have to sit in the center of the Spaceship Campus 1wink.gif
post #10 of 51
how about putting a pineapple up your butt too?

Originally by Rickers - 2014 : Cook & will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost so long.


History reduce Apple Watch.... to a footnote in the annals of technology - Benjamin Frost Dec 2014



Reply

Originally by Rickers - 2014 : Cook & will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost so long.


History reduce Apple Watch.... to a footnote in the annals of technology - Benjamin Frost Dec 2014



Reply
post #11 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonbazar View Post

If Apple does not launch a proper '14 phone sporting a larger screen and 1080p HD quality resolution, I take a flight, rent a car, go on infinite loop and sit naked on the grass until it happens. Hope these rumours are related to an iPhone mini (aka low-cost) than just an update on the low-wow iPhone 5.

 

Apple will not release larger screen iPhone until high quality 4.6" - 4.7" screens can accommodate 4x resolution without yield problems. I surely hope this is prepared, because Apple is already giving a large market share to Samsung in premium class exclusively on account of screen size, because Samsung and in general Android "world" doesn't give a damn about developers, existing and future apps.

 

In continental Europe Samcrap S3 and S4 is definitively taking over iPhone. There is absolutely no other reason as screen size. I will most probably stay with iPhone Classic, although if you really look at it, 4.6" in 16:9 format is not really that much bigger from 4" when carried in the pocket, but it can hold far more information on the screen. Almost 33% actually....

post #12 of 51
Apple should immediately release larger iPhone to kill Samsung . Apple must address this ASAP!! Why does Apple give a gap to Samsung to live !!!
Edited by crazy_mac_lover - 6/18/13 at 11:29pm
post #13 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

Apple will not release larger screen iPhone until high quality 4.6" - 4.7" screens can accommodate 4x resolution without yield problems. I surely hope this is prepared, because Apple is already giving a large market share to Samsung in premium class exclusively on account of screen size, because Samsung and in general Android "world" doesn't give a damn about developers, existing and future apps.

In continental Europe Samcrap S3 and S4 is definitively taking over iPhone. There is absolutely no other reason as screen size. I will most probably stay with iPhone Classic, although if you really look at it, 4.6" in 16:9 format is not really that much bigger from 4" when carried in the pocket, but it can hold far more information on the screen. Almost 33% actually....

Exactly.

Samsung was able to put a 4.8" screen in a body that's not too much bigger than the 4" iPhone. I've felt both in my pocket and there's hardly a difference.



Apple needs to rethink the top and bottom bezels too... there's a lot of wasted space on the front.

I know it's part of their "iconic design" but still...

BTW... a larger 2272x1280 iPhone screen sounds amazing. Make it so!
post #14 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post


Exactly.

Samsung was able to put a 4.8" screen in a body that's not too much bigger than the 4" iPhone. I've felt both in my pocket and there's hardly a difference.



Apple needs to rethink the top and bottom bezels too... there's a lot of wasted space on the front.

I know it's part of their "iconic design" but still...

BTW... a larger 2272x1280 iPhone screen sounds amazing. Make it so!

 

the space around is there also for making casing rigid enough to protect the screen. Colleague at work just killed his S4 screen. Newer fell down or anything. Cases are twisting and killing the screen even without breaking the glass. They won't replace the crap. I believe iPhone 5 user is one the way :D

post #15 of 51
(1) Can someone explain why Apple can buy and integrate 9.7" retina displays in the iPad and will presumably do the same with a 7.9" retina display in the iPad Mini 2 later this year but cannot procure a 4.5"-ish retina display in iPhone. Perhaps there is a legit reason, but I don't see it.

Tim Cook's explanations about color quality, white balance, reflectivity, etc. sound mostly like excuses not actual insurmountable technological issues. Yes, I understand battery life could be an issue but with more screen real estate comes more room for a larger battery. My iPad mini screen is much bigger but its battery life is much better than my iPhone 5.

(2) I think the time has passed when Apple can introduce "S" versions of phones that look identical to last year's model and expect sales growth. When 3GS came out there was no real competition. When 4S was introduced competition was beginning to heat up. Now there is plenty of competition.

I think Samsung dropped the ball when their S4 was not significantly cosmetically different than the S3 and was still made with cheap looking & feeling plastic. I would not expect them to make the same mistake with the S5. They own the lower end of the smartphone market. Look for them to try to go high end and take Apple head on.

(3) I have mixed feelings about a lower cost iPhone. I understand it sucks missing out on emerging markets, but I would hate for them to devalue the brand. Perhaps it should only be offered in China/India/etc.

(4) What I hope to see is Tim Cook introducing the 5S then when everyone think he's done, pop out the "one more thing" line and introduce either iPhone 6 or 5S with a bigger screen. Subsidized price for the bigger screen version could go up to $249 or even $299. Apple is a premium brand. People will pay more for the best.
post #16 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

the space around is there also for making casing rigid enough to protect the screen. Colleague at work just killed his S4 screen. Newer fell down or anything. Cases are twisting and killing the screen even without breaking the glass. They won't replace the crap. I believe iPhone 5 user is one the way 1biggrin.gif

Good point.

But I don't think Apple would have a problem making a rigid phone. They're pretty good at unibody construction!
post #17 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

how about putting a pineapple up your butt too?

 

That would kill Spongebob.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #18 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_mac_lover View Post

Apple should immediately release larger iPhone to kill Samsung . Apple must address this ASAP!! Why does Apple give a gap to Samsung to live !!!

 

Apple isn't trying to be all things to all people. Unlike Samsung, which seems to have the every niche covered from 2.8" to 8" screens, in 0.2" increments. Just in case they missed a niche.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #19 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post

(1) Can someone explain why Apple can buy and integrate 9.7" retina displays in the iPad and will presumably do the same with a 7.9" retina display in the iPad Mini 2 later this year but cannot procure a 4.5"-ish retina display in iPhone. Perhaps there is a legit reason, but I don't see it.

Tim Cook's explanations about color quality, white balance, reflectivity, etc. sound mostly like excuses not actual insurmountable technological issues. Yes, I understand battery life could be an issue but with more screen real estate comes more room for a larger battery. My iPad mini screen is much bigger but its battery life is much better than my iPhone 5.

(2) I think the time has passed when Apple can introduce "S" versions of phones that look identical to last year's model and expect sales growth. When 3GS came out there was no real competition. When 4S was introduced competition was beginning to heat up. Now there is plenty of competition.

I think Samsung dropped the ball when their S4 was not significantly cosmetically different than the S3 and was still made with cheap looking & feeling plastic. I would not expect them to make the same mistake with the S5. They own the lower end of the smartphone market. Look for them to try to go high end and take Apple head on.

(3) I have mixed feelings about a lower cost iPhone. I understand it sucks missing out on emerging markets, but I would hate for them to devalue the brand. Perhaps it should only be offered in China/India/etc.

(4) What I hope to see is Tim Cook introducing the 5S then when everyone think he's done, pop out the "one more thing" line and introduce either iPhone 6 or 5S with a bigger screen. Subsidized price for the bigger screen version could go up to $249 or even $299. Apple is a premium brand. People will pay more for the best.

 

1. Sure. Read my post above. Making 4x resolution on 4.6 demands something like 550dpi pixel. Not an easy one if you want to have quality screen. Current is 326dpi on iPhone 5 and only 264 on iPad4.

 

2. I thing Apple just needs to drop the numbers in the name, like they did iPad and Macs. I don't see a reason to change the case all over every year just to have it look differently. I have 4S, I am satisfied with gains over 4 and the same good case as well.

 

3. iPhone Cheaper will not be iPhone cheap. It will not devaluate the brand, it will make the brand stronger among those who feared the Apple being labeled as "expensive" and "overrated". many of them will later buy also a premium one. Many people considered macs before iPod as too expensive, but when they got their hands on iPod that had no match in price, they started to buy "overrated" macs as well..

 

4. I agree. I hope he does, but I understand it is not purely management decision. It's more technical.

post #20 of 51

You know what would be incredible? If Apple can make insane battery improvements to the 5S, like they did with the latest Macbook Air. I think this, by itself, would be the most useful improvement. 

post #21 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post

(1) Can someone explain why Apple can buy and integrate 9.7" retina displays in the iPad and will presumably do the same with a 7.9" retina display in the iPad Mini 2 later this year but cannot procure a 4.5"-ish retina display in iPhone. Perhaps there is a legit reason, but I don't see it.

Tim Cook's explanations about color quality, white balance, reflectivity, etc. sound mostly like excuses not actual insurmountable technological issues. Yes, I understand battery life could be an issue but with more screen real estate comes more room for a larger battery. My iPad mini screen is much bigger but its battery life is much better than my iPhone 5.

(2) I think the time has passed when Apple can introduce "S" versions of phones that look identical to last year's model and expect sales growth. When 3GS came out there was no real competition. When 4S was introduced competition was beginning to heat up. Now there is plenty of competition.

I think Samsung dropped the ball when their S4 was not significantly cosmetically different than the S3 and was still made with cheap looking & feeling plastic. I would not expect them to make the same mistake with the S5. They own the lower end of the smartphone market. Look for them to try to go high end and take Apple head on.

(3) I have mixed feelings about a lower cost iPhone. I understand it sucks missing out on emerging markets, but I would hate for them to devalue the brand. Perhaps it should only be offered in China/India/etc.

(4) What I hope to see is Tim Cook introducing the 5S then when everyone think he's done, pop out the "one more thing" line and introduce either iPhone 6 or 5S with a bigger screen. Subsidized price for the bigger screen version could go up to $249 or even $299. Apple is a premium brand. People will pay more for the best.

 

The 3GS wiped Palm Pre off the map. The Pre, sporting a fresh-faced new webOS, was getting all the buzz. And Apple killed it with the 3GS.

 

The race to inflate screen sizes reminds me a bit of the trend to put oversized wheels with lower-profile tires on cars. Apple got to 20-inch "dubs," and everyone else is sporting 22s and 23s, so now there's the expectation that unless Apple participates in size one-upmanship, they're losers.

 

You seem to forget that Apple just released their first 4" phone back in October. "Oh no! It's not big enough! Not next to the competition. I have screen size envy! Apple must keep up! Apple must play the game everyone else is playing! Just look at these pictures! The 4" iPhone 5 looks so tiny! Apple's losing to Samsung!"

 

I personally don't understand equating big screens with "premium-ness." In the 80s, the Japanese electronics manufacturers were all about miniaturizing portable electronics. Even today, thin-and-light Ultrabooks are considered premium.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #22 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I don't understand the redesign of the ribbon cable. It takes significant resources to redesign and retool something. I see no benefit to this unless they are going to add another feature to the phone.

After taking my iPhone 5 apart to replace the microphone, it looks like the ribbon cable would have to reach farther for something.

 

They didn't just change the cable. They changed the layout of the PCB as was shown in another story a day or so ago. It looks like there are chips missing from the new design. They could have been integrated into the new SoC to improve battery life and lower over all costs. 

post #23 of 51
@poksi

I have an S3 and an iP5. IMHO both are too big, but if you are talking about what goes in the pocket easier, the S3 seems like trying to put a whale in your pocket in comparison to the iPhone.

You ideally need a coat pocket. It also feels too big in the hands. As to would I actually risk trying to put the S3 in my jean pockets? No as it feels really flimsy - you could snap the phone in two without too much pressure and a friend did crack his in his pocket.
post #24 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

 

1. Sure. Read my post above. Making 4x resolution on 4.6 demands something like 550dpi pixel. Not an easy one if you want to have quality screen. Current is 326dpi on iPhone 5 and only 264 on iPad4.

 

2. I thing Apple just needs to drop the numbers in the name, like they did iPad and Macs. I don't see a reason to change the case all over every year just to have it look differently. I have 4S, I am satisfied with gains over 4 and the same good case as well.

 

3. iPhone Cheaper will not be iPhone cheap. It will not devaluate the brand, it will make the brand stronger among those who feared the Apple being labeled as "expensive" and "overrated". many of them will later buy also a premium one. Many people considered macs before iPod as too expensive, but when they got their hands on iPod that had no match in price, they started to buy "overrated" macs as well..

 

4. I agree. I hope he does, but I understand it is not purely management decision. It's more technical.

Thanks for responding.

 

1.  I see no reason why Apple would wait for that high of a resolution.  We don't have that now so we cannot say that Apple thinks it is critical.  As long as the larger display meets their definition of a "retina display" they're good.  Apple even went non-retina for iPad Mini and has sold millions.  (Yes, I realize "retina" is a marketing term, but it is one Apple cannot easily get away from now even if they wanted to.)

 

2.  My point was not the naming scheme but the lack of a cosmetic difference.  The fact that you did not upgrade to the 5 proves my point.  Apple needs a significant segment of their customers to upgrade every year.  The overall look has not changed significantly since the 4 was introduced.  It's time for a refresh.  Many consumers, especially younger ones, are fickle and inpatient.

 

3.  I hope you are right, but I am not so sure.  You are talking Macs that cost thousands versus a consumer electronic devices that cost at most a few hundred dollars -- big difference.  I don't know many people who have a smartphone plan (which typically costs around $100/month) who cannot afford a $199 iPhone if they really want one.  Lot of difference between that buying a $2k-$3k Mac.

 

If the U.S. market was the only one to consider, I would say definitely do not make a cheaper iPhone.  However, with China, India, South America, etc in play, especially given the lack of carrier subsidies in much of the world, it becomes much harder to not build a cheaper iPhone in hopes of penetrating those markets.

 

4.  I still have not heard a technical reason for not including a 4.5"-ish retina display.  HTC has achieved 469 ppi in a 4.7" screen and Sony 441 ppi in a 5" screen both of which are significantly higher than the smaller 4" iPhone 5's 326 ppi.  I am confident that Apple can achieve a 326+ ppi  in a 4.5" screen with good color reproduction, etc.

post #25 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

Apple will not release larger screen iPhone until high quality 4.6" - 4.7" screens can accommodate 4x resolution without yield problems. I surely hope this is prepared, because Apple is already giving a large market share to Samsung in premium class exclusively on account of screen size, because Samsung and in general Android "world" doesn't give a damn about developers, existing and future apps.

Do you honestly think that anyone would choose Android over iOS solely based on screen size, and that offering a larger screen iPhone would lure them back?

Android buyers fall into two general categories: 1) technically unsophisticated, budget-minded shoppers who buy whatever the incentivized salesperson recommends and 2) "tinkerers" who want to customize every minute detail of their device and care more about flashy specs than real world utility.

A larger screen iPhone will have zero effect on either of these groups.
post #26 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

 

The 3GS wiped Palm Pre off the map. The Pre, sporting a fresh-faced new webOS, was getting all the buzz. And Apple killed it with the 3GS.

 

The race to inflate screen sizes reminds me a bit of the trend to put oversized wheels with lower-profile tires on cars. Apple got to 20-inch "dubs," and everyone else is sporting 22s and 23s, so now there's the expectation that unless Apple participates in size one-upmanship, they're losers.

 

You seem to forget that Apple just released their first 4" phone back in October. "Oh no! It's not big enough! Not next to the competition. I have screen size envy! Apple must keep up! Apple must play the game everyone else is playing! Just look at these pictures! The 4" iPhone 5 looks so tiny! Apple's losing to Samsung!"

 

I personally don't understand equating big screens with "premium-ness." In the 80s, the Japanese electronics manufacturers were all about miniaturizing portable electronics. Even today, thin-and-light Ultrabooks are considered premium.

I hear what you're saying.  I also do not think that Apple should get in a screen size war.  If they tried to one-up the Galaxy Note II, they would be encroaching on the iPad Mini.  I think the Mini serves that segment well.

 

To clarify, I do not think Apple should abandon the current 4" screen size but instead should provide a larger screen option for a price premium of $50 to $100 for those consumers who desire and are willing to pay for a larger screen.  There are plenty of people who will probably still by the smaller screen, but they are losing out on customers who want a larger screen.  Why lose out on those customers?  One size fits all worked well for awhile with the iPhone as it did with the original iPods and iPads, but that time has passed.
 

BTW, I did not forget about the 3.5" to 4" change, but given that they changed the aspect ratio to 16:9 it was not a significant increase in screen area.  If they had kept the original 3:2 aspect ratio with a 4" screen I believe there would be significantly less dissatisfaction with the current screen size.

post #27 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad1at35 View Post

@poksi

I have an S3 and an iP5. IMHO both are too big, but if you are talking about what goes in the pocket easier, the S3 seems like trying to put a whale in your pocket in comparison to the iPhone.

You ideally need a coat pocket. It also feels too big in the hands. As to would I actually risk trying to put the S3 in my jean pockets? No as it feels really flimsy - you could snap the phone in two without too much pressure and a friend did crack his in his pocket.

 

S3 has different format thus being much bigger than iPhone 5 even with same diagonal. 4.6" iPhone would be slightly larger than current 4".

S3 is not meant ot be put in jeans pocket. People are putting them in every possible hole, purse, bag or otherwise, breaking them like eggs, being screwed by Samsung's service and still buying them. There must be something in this screen size that they are prepared to swallow crap like that...

post #28 of 51

There wont be a 555ppi Display for the coming 5 years with yield that is good enough for Apple . So that is not going to happen.

"IF", Apple wanted to do a bigger screen size iPhone it is very likely to be the same resolution as the current one. Just like iPad Mini to iPad Non Retina, and the upcoming iPad Mini Retina to the Current iPad.

So by putting the same logic on to the larger screen iPhone, the current iPad has a 264 PPI. 264 PPI into 1136x640 would be about 5". ( 4.94").

Personally i dont think Apple will ever release a 5" iPhone.

There are only two kind of people in this world.

Those who dont understand Apple and those who misunderstood Apple.

Reply

There are only two kind of people in this world.

Those who dont understand Apple and those who misunderstood Apple.

Reply
post #29 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post

Thanks for responding.

 

1.  I see no reason why Apple would wait for that high of a resolution.  We don't have that now so we cannot say that Apple thinks it is critical.  As long as the larger display meets their definition of a "retina display" they're good.  Apple even went non-retina for iPad Mini and has sold millions.  (Yes, I realize "retina" is a marketing term, but it is one Apple cannot easily get away from now even if they wanted to.)

 

2.  My point was not the naming scheme but the lack of a cosmetic difference.  The fact that you did not upgrade to the 5 proves my point.  Apple needs a significant segment of their customers to upgrade every year.  The overall look has not changed significantly since the 4 was introduced.  It's time for a refresh.  Many consumers, especially younger ones, are fickle and inpatient.

 

3.  I hope you are right, but I am not so sure.  You are talking Macs that cost thousands versus a consumer electronic devices that cost at most a few hundred dollars -- big difference.  I don't know many people who have a smartphone plan (which typically costs around $100/month) who cannot afford a $199 iPhone if they really want one.  Lot of difference between that buying a $2k-$3k Mac.

 

If the U.S. market was the only one to consider, I would say definitely do not make a cheaper iPhone.  However, with China, India, South America, etc in play, especially given the lack of carrier subsidies in much of the world, it becomes much harder to not build a cheaper iPhone in hopes of penetrating those markets.

 

4.  I still have not heard a technical reason for not including a 4.5"-ish retina display.  HTC has achieved 469 ppi in a 4.7" screen and Sony 441 ppi in a 5" screen both of which are significantly higher than the smaller 4" iPhone 5's 326 ppi.  I am confident that Apple can achieve a 326+ ppi  in a 4.5" screen with good color reproduction, etc.

 

1. Unless aspect ratio is kept, all the apps are either skewed or the content stops fitting the screen or (the worse!!) all the apps must be exclusively adapted to such screen. believe me, I see what my colleagues on Android development have to do, when writing same app that should run on Galaxy Tab 2 and Nexus 7...poor bastards :)

 

2. I upgrade only every second year when my contract expires. I was always more comfortable with "s" versions, they are more finished product as "original". However, I agree marketing is a bitch, and youngsters can punish company if the spoiled brats don't get what they believe is inline with latest hype :)

 

3. I do strongly believe so.

 

4. They all use different screen technology. I haven't tested HTC, but SOny has really bad LCD, screwing colors and distorting resolution very hard.  I guess they don't bother too much with pixel yields and don't care too much about better screen. iPhone has by far better screen than Sony, Samsung AMoled'S are even uncomparable to Sony, they are really the crappiest stuff I've seen on such expensive device.

 

However, Apple is just Apple, they are prone to overdo everything, they just don't settle with less...

post #30 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by freediverx View Post


Do you honestly think that anyone would choose Android over iOS solely based on screen size, and that offering a larger screen iPhone would lure them back?

Android buyers fall into two general categories: 1) technically unsophisticated, budget-minded shoppers who buy whatever the incentivized salesperson recommends and 2) "tinkerers" who want to customize every minute detail of their device and care more about flashy specs than real world utility.

A larger screen iPhone will have zero effect on either of these groups.

 

"Solely" and "exclusively" are too strong words, I fell into this trap, serves me right.  :))) But it is by far the biggest reason today. THe geeks you are describing were main buyers before. Samsung S has long gone become mainstream phone being used by people who customize nothing. They just want bigger screen. I know a lot of those...

post #31 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksec View Post

There wont be a 555ppi Display for the coming 5 years with yield that is good enough for Apple . 

So that is not going to happen.

"IF", Apple wanted to do a bigger screen size iPhone it is very likely to be the same resolution as the current one. Just like iPad Mini to iPad Non Retina, and the upcoming iPad Mini Retina to the Current iPad.

So by putting the same logic on to the larger screen iPhone, the current iPad has a 264 PPI. 264 PPI into 1136x640 would be about 5". ( 4.94").

Personally i dont think Apple will ever release a 5" iPhone.

 

How do you know that? I agree about 5" with 264 dpi. It won't happen in zillion years.

post #32 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post

(1) Can someone explain why Apple can buy and integrate 9.7" retina displays in the iPad and will presumably do the same with a 7.9" retina display in the iPad Mini 2 later this year but cannot procure a 4.5"-ish retina display in iPhone. Perhaps there is a legit reason, but I don't see it.

Tim Cook's explanations about color quality, white balance, reflectivity, etc. sound mostly like excuses not actual insurmountable technological issues. Yes, I understand battery life could be an issue but with more screen real estate comes more room for a larger battery. My iPad mini screen is much bigger but its battery life is much better than my iPhone 5.
 

The problem is the software, Apple are now enforcing their Autolayout for all apps submitted to the store, and the newer UI makes the whole thing easier to resize for all devs.

 

Your point about the S series is correct, they seem pretty confident though - I bet there is something in the 5S which will be a "game changer"

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #33 of 51

Here's hoping for an iPhone mini and iPhone.

 

Let's get rid of the iPhone 5S name. Soon people start craving for iPhone 6 …

post #34 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by freediverx View Post


Do you honestly think that anyone would choose Android over iOS solely based on screen size, and that offering a larger screen iPhone would lure them back?

Android buyers fall into two general categories: 1) technically unsophisticated, budget-minded shoppers who buy whatever the incentivized salesperson recommends and 2) "tinkerers" who want to customize every minute detail of their device and care more about flashy specs than real world utility.

A larger screen iPhone will have zero effect on either of these groups.

Yes people choose Samsung phones over iPhones because of bigger screens. ( with screen sizes you can't really talk about OS differences so its not an iOS vs Android thing).

 

The evidence is in Europe and elsewhere, Samgsung massively increased it's market with these phones. People like them.

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #35 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

 

How do you know that? I agree about 5" with 264 dpi. It won't happen in zillion years.

 

Because that is just how technology works. Even IGZO have taken 3 years before the public got attention of it. And it will take another 2 years for it to be fully developed before it can be "mass" produced. And this time mass produced is different as before there isn't a single product in history that sells as fast and as many  iPhone. The current IGZO limit is around 500PPI. There may be improvement that could makes it higher, again, at least not in the coming 3 - 5 years

 

Not to mention it simply doesn't make sense to create a 550ppi display that will eat up even more battery. Display is already the number one energy consumption in iPhone. And you need a much more powerful GPU to drive it.

There are only two kind of people in this world.

Those who dont understand Apple and those who misunderstood Apple.

Reply

There are only two kind of people in this world.

Those who dont understand Apple and those who misunderstood Apple.

Reply
post #36 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksec View Post

 

Because that is just how technology works. Even IGZO have taken 3 years before the public got attention of it. And it will take another 2 years for it to be fully developed before it can be "mass" produced. And this time mass produced is different as before there isn't a single product in history that sells as fast and as many  iPhone. The current IGZO limit is around 500PPI. There may be improvement that could makes it higher, again, at least not in the coming 3 - 5 years

 

Not to mention it simply doesn't make sense to create a 550ppi display that will eat up even more battery. Display is already the number one energy consumption in iPhone. And you need a much more powerful GPU to drive it.

 

it makes sense what you are saying, but the timeframe seems too long IMHO. I believe it will happen earlier, but I agree, that if current limit is known to be 500dpi, there is no way to see mass produced iPhones with 550dpi very soon. Sounds crazy, but it seems that slightly lower resolution in iPhone 4 would be very helpful now...

 

I'm playing with the thought that something like that can happen, where cheaper iPhone could have lower dpi count (let's say around 220 dpi) versus bigger iPhone of double the dpi thus forming new, 3rd iOS form factor.

 

I agree with battery and GPU constraints, but Apple will have to overcome that eventually for other purposes as well. THey are not alone in this game, you know...

post #37 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

 

Unlike Samsung, which seems to have the every niche covered from 2.8" to 8" screens, in 0.2" increments. Just in case they missed a niche.

I remember reading that long, long time ago there was a mobile phone company which actually covered every niche. I think the name started with "N". Wonder what happened to that company...

post #38 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by freediverx View Post


Do you honestly think that anyone would choose Android over iOS solely based on screen size, and that offering a larger screen iPhone would lure them back?

Android buyers fall into two general categories: 1) technically unsophisticated, budget-minded shoppers who buy whatever the incentivized salesperson recommends and 2) "tinkerers" who want to customize every minute detail of their device and care more about flashy specs than real world utility.

A larger screen iPhone will have zero effect on either of these groups.

I will have whatever you are smoking.

post #39 of 51
While all of you are talking about imaginary wants, I would like to talk about what this article has presented. I think we just MAY actually get a fingerprint sensor on the 5S. Notice the small hole on the backside of the "5S" on the right side of the home button, it is not present on the backside of the 5. Also, notice the shape change of the indentation on the left side near the home button on the "5S" compared to the 5, It appears a part will fit there (I don't know what it is, I am not an expert in iPhone breakdowns).
post #40 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Yes people choose Samsung phones over iPhones because of bigger screens. ( with screen sizes you can't really talk about OS differences so its not an iOS vs Android thing).

The evidence is in Europe and elsewhere, Samgsung massively increased it's market with these phones. People like them.

And yet the iPhone 5 still outsells them all, even 8 or 9 months after its release. Samsung bragged about the GS4s sales numbers initially, but things have seemed to have cooled off since. Screen size is a factor for some people, but not for most or Apple would not be selling as many as they are especially with such a "stale" "outdated" OS. If Apple was on China Mobile, they would be selling even more and talk of the mythical cheap iPhone would not carry such weight. I'm sure they are experimenting with larger screens and may even sell them in a year or two, but the screen size is not the main driver for sales and they know this.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • High resolution images claim to show 'iPhone 5S' and iPhone 5 display assemblies side-by-side
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › High resolution images claim to show 'iPhone 5S' and iPhone 5 display assemblies side-by-side