or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple wins $30 million iPad contract from LA school district [u]

Apple wins $30 million iPad contract from LA school district [u]

post #1 of 71
The second-largest school system in the U.S., the L.A. Unified School District, has awarded Apple with a $30 million contract to provide iPads to every student it serves [updated with comment from Apple].

Education

The deal was approved by the district's board in a unanimous vote on Tuesday, according to the Los Angeles Times. The district will pay $678 per device, and the iPads will come preloaded with educational software.

Update: Later Wednesday, Apple issued a press release touting the board's decision to exclusively adopt the iPad for classroom use. The company also noted that the $30 million deal is the first phase of a larger roll-out for the Los Angeles school district.

"Education is in Apple?s DNA and we?re thrilled to work with Los Angeles Unified public schools on this major initiative as they plan to roll out iPads to every student across 47 campuses this fall," said Philip Schiller, Apple?s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "Schools around the world have embraced the engaging and interactive quality of iPad with nearly 10 million iPads already in schools today."

Apple said that the iPads will come with the Pearson Common Core System of Courses, as well as iWork, iLife, iTunes, and other educational third-party apps."Education is in Apple?s DNA and we?re thrilled to work with Los Angeles Unified public schools on this major initiative as they plan to roll out iPads to every student across 47 campuses this fall," Philip Schiller, Apple?s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing.

"The Board voted unanimously for Apple because iPad rated the best in quality, was the least expensive option and received the highest scoring by the review panel that included students and teachers," said Jaime Aquino, LAUSD Deputy Superintendent of Instruction. "The vote is another step forward in the District?s plan to equip every one of its students with a device by 2014. When completed, the LAUSD will become the largest district in the nation to provide each of its students with the technology."

Members of the board characterized the deal is one of the "most high-profile contracts" they will ever approve, declaring it "as big as they come."

With the board's approval, the iPad will be used by students at 47 campuses in the L.A. Unified School District. The board opted to choose Apple as the sole vendor after students and teachers rated the iPad as the highest quality tablet available on the market.

The contract is so significant that Apple's rival Microsoft got involved, asking the district to pilot more than one product and consider its Windows devices. The Redmond, Wash., software company argued that most businesses use Microsoft platforms, and Windows tablets would be a good way to expose students to those devices.

District staff, however, declared Apple's iPad the superior product. They said it wouldn't be fair to require some students to use a different, lesser product than the iPad.

iPad sales to educational institutions have become increasingly common as tablets have grown in popularity. Data from last year demonstrated that Apple's iPad is definitively replacing sales of traditional PCs in education.

One pilot program in Idaho dubbed "iSchool Campus" has earned rave reviews from educators and students alike. In addition to providing a more engaging way to teach students, Apple's tablet has also helped reduce costs at Paul Elementary in Minidoka County, Idaho, by eliminating 20,000 paper copies a month.

iPad adoption isn't limited to grade school either. An initiative at Arkansas State University will require all incoming students to have an iPad as of this fall.
post #2 of 71
The iPad is definitely a superior device IMO...and yeah I own one! Go Apple!
post #3 of 71
This's just show how risky iOS 7 is. This deal was made with iOS 6 in mind (the best tablet). Who knows how many teachers and students like Book Shelf or Page Turning in iBook. SJ wanted technology to be easily accessible by people but Tech heads didn't know better and want it to be something else. Now it looks like even Apple want to prove themselves to tech heads. I just hope it still is an easy and enjoyable to use like before.
I'll miss you Page-turning.
post #4 of 71
Great for Apple, but Im skeptical that LAUSD(or vast majority of US school systems) has the 'teaching culture/systems/programs' (ala Finland school culture, Kahn Academy etc) to take advantage of the iPad or any computer to fundamentally improve education. I sincerely hope my skepticism is proved misplaced and that I'm just being an old fuddyduddy..
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #5 of 71
The irony comes when you realise that on the other side, Google and Microsoft are practically giving away their hardware either free or at cost. And we don't even know if there are any takers yet...
post #6 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

This's just show how risky iOS 7 is. This deal was made with iOS 6 in mind (the best tablet). Who knows how many teachers and students like Book Shelf or Page Turning in iBook. SJ wanted technology to be easily accessible by people but Tech heads didn't know better and want it to be something else. Now it looks like even Apple want to prove themselves to tech heads. I just hope it still is an easy and enjoyable to use like before.

Seriously? You think the removal of page turning animation makes the device less user friendly? Wow, I don't even know where to begin.

Also, what makes you think this decision was made with iOS 6 in mind? According to the articles this decision was made after the announcement of iOS 7.
post #7 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

Also, what makes you think this decision was made with iOS 6 in mind? According to the articles this decision was made after the announcement of iOS 7.

"The board opted to choose Apple as the sole vendor after students and teachers rated the iPad as the highest quality tablet available on the market."

I don't believe they had access to iOS 7. Do you?
post #8 of 71
Simply BEAUTIFUL, that's the way of doing things. It is the best for our children:)1smile.gif1smile.gif
post #9 of 71
"District staff, however, declared Apple's iPad the superior product. They said it wouldn't be fair to require some students to use a different, lesser product than the iPad."

I couldn't sum this up any better!
post #10 of 71
30 million is pocket change to Apple, it's like you finding a buck in the street.
post #11 of 71
But they could have had twice as many surfaces with keyboard covers! 1oyvey.gif

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #12 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

Seriously? You think the removal of page turning animation makes the device less user friendly? Wow, I don't even know where to begin.

Why is the page-turning animation disappearing? Who made that decision?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #13 of 71
Quote:

IOS 7 looks great. Clean up the icons a bit and we are ready to go. Who said page turning is gone?
post #14 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

30 million is pocket change to Apple, it's like you finding a buck in the street.

The deal is worth more than the money.
post #15 of 71
Whilst device costs are quite tiny these days, it is support that costs big money. Full permanent lock down here will save a fortune. Obviously the brighter tech students can carry two devices but for the majority this might do.
post #16 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Great for Apple, but Im skeptical that LAUSD(or vast majority of US school systems) has the 'teaching culture/systems/programs' (ala Finland school culture, Kahn Academy etc) to take advantage of the iPad or any computer to fundamentally improve education. I sincerely hope my skepticism is proved misplaced and that I'm just being an old fuddyduddy..

You must be old. I'm a teacher at SDSU and all my classrooms are 100% digital. It's a sustainable practice that makes for better teaching.
MacBook Pro, iMac, iPad 2, iPhone 4S
Please visit my simple and personal blog at www.simbarhoum.com
MacBook Pro, iMac, iPad 2, iPhone 4S
Please visit my simple and personal blog at www.simbarhoum.com
post #17 of 71
Can you elaborate on the sustainable part? Because buying devices that obsolesce every five years or so seems unsustainable.
post #18 of 71
Microsoft - what is it that you offer for the workforce??? Anyone can go from an Apple to using a PC and about the only program that I know of which is most commonly used is Excel and I much prefer Apple's "Numbers" - Microsoft's sales pitch is dated and rather amusing as well. Buy mine because it's in the workforce and just like the workforce,, we will not include an email client unless you pay for it - even though Apple's email is far superior, we won't include MS word unless you pay for it - even though Apple's Pages performs better than word and publisher combined.
Good luck MS - you should have thought of your customer first and I'm enjoying my very first iMac and yes,,, I operate windows 7 using Parallels in Full screen mode for just one piece of software which we need for work and coreldraw; 90 percent of my time is spent on using Software for Mac.
post #19 of 71

#0 Million here and 30 Million there, before long you're talking real money.

post #20 of 71
Quote:

This's just show how risky iOS 7 is. This deal was made with iOS 6 in mind...

... No... This just shows how the passage of time works. See, they were talking about this for a while in the past, and now they've decided on it. iOS 7 was revealed a week ago. Obviously they'll be going with iOS 7.
Quote:
Now it looks like even Apple want to prove themselves to tech heads.

So all the school corporation deals Apple had before the announcement of iOS 7... don't count, huh? 1rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #21 of 71
"The second-largest school system in the U.S., the L.A. Unified School District, has awarded Apple with a $30 million contract to provide iPads to every student it serves.."

"... the iPad will be used by students at 47 campuses in the L.A. Unified School District..."

Something about this story does not! According to the district website, " LAUSD enrolls more than 640,000 students.... at over 900 schools, and 187 public charter schools"

That certainly doesn't sound like they are buying an iPad for EVERY student if they are only sending them out to 47 sites!
-eb
post #22 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

I'm sure the LASD is going to spend $30 million on iPads and not have a clue as to what they're going to do with them. /sarcasm

Usually if not always with major projects like this, there is some massive planning that goes on. Its not as simple as just hand out iPads and say here you go, now use them! 

Apparently you haven't been in a classroom lately. Everything is going this way if it hasn't already. I work in IT and run the entire Mac Dept at my school and were all building STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) labs. Every single classroom has a Promethean Interactive board on the wall (even in the elementary school). We have distance learning labs to take virtual field trips to museums, zoo's, the Statue of Liberty, etc. We have iPad carts that are constantly signed out. 

Yes, lets just stick to 1960's text books to teach our children for today's world. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #23 of 71
Hmm... Math labs... Is Walter White involved somehow?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #24 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgirlfeelsold View Post

Can you elaborate on the sustainable part? Because buying devices that obsolesce every five years or so seems unsustainable.

Here's a 3-year experience from Fraser Spiers (emphasis mine):
Quote:
The Butcher's Bill
MONDAY, MAY 27, 2013 AT 10:40PM
So we are coming up on three years with the iPad 1. I thought it would be interesting to look back at our damage rate and see how things went.

I've kept a log of when devices were replaced and why. These numbers are based on a deployment of 115 iPads and all the repairs were handled through the Genius Bar at our local Apple Store.

1 Sep 2010: Dead Digitiser

Summary

3 LCD failures
2 sleep/wake button failures
2 connector failures
2 cracked screens
1 digitiser failure
1 case damage
1 home button failure
1 headphone jack
1 bad interaction with a motor vehicle

So, over the course of three years, a total of 14 devices have been replaced. That works out at as an overall replacement rate of 4% per year.

Of these devices, half were for what we might call failures - damage not resulting from user action - and the other half were damage. Interestingly, our battery failure rate remains at a steady 0%.

I'm no mechanical engineer, so I can only guess at reasons why we may be seeing such a low damage rate. For one thing, I'd say that the iPad 1 is very robustly built. It doesn't have such a sharp edge as the iPad 2-style case, which can be vulnerable when the device is dropped.

The second thing I think contributed to our low damage rate was the fact that we have carpet in almost every classroom of the school except the science lab.

Another factor is that there just isn't that much to go wrong. A laptop has a complex hinge, more than 100 switches on the keyboard, a moving hard drive, a fragile power socket. The iPad has four switches, a charging socket and solid state storage. The 30-pin connector has proven reasonably robust but I expect the Lightning connector will be even more reliable.

Finally, I also believe that being 1:1, and building a culture of responsibility around that, makes a massive difference to the way pupils treat computers. When your name is on it, when your data is on that device and when its damage or loss will directly impact you, you tend to take good care of it.

http://speirs.org
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #25 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

I wish I could find a buck in the street.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #26 of 71
I have worked with the MLTI program at several schools and we are looking at a similar award.

AUGUSTA %u2013 For the first time since the Maine Learning Technology Initiative began in 2002, schools have made a choice in the solutions they will use for 21st century teaching and learning.

This fall, 39,457 students and educators will start using Apple%u2019s iPad tablet ($266 per year, per seat with network), followed by 24,128 using Apple%u2019s MacBook Air laptop ($319 per year, per seat with network) and 5,474 using the HP ProBook 4440 laptop which runs Microsoft Windows 7 ($286 per year, per seat with network).
post #27 of 71
Quote:

"The board opted to choose Apple as the sole vendor after students and teachers rated the iPad as the highest quality tablet available on the market."

I guess you still use Win 3.X. iOS 7 is still in beta. In addition, the gestures and use remain largely the same.

I also thought Apple was losing its shine to the young ones. I thought teens would love android and surface. /s
post #28 of 71
Hopefully the iPads stay at school and are not a free giveaway for students to keep.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #29 of 71
It may be a win ($$$) for Apple, but a total lost for the teachers, staff and students of the LAUSD. With all the layoffs, the furloughed staff, how the hell are they going to make this work? That $30m could have been BETTER used.

I bet no one here knows how wasteful, corrupt and downright incompetent the LAUSD is. The iPads will end up stockpiled in warehouses, or worse, get stolen and vandalized. All the while the LAUSD enjoy getting the kickbacks.
post #30 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion Vast View Post

I bet no one here knows how wasteful, corrupt and downright incompetent the LAUSD is.

I know how wasteful, corrupt, and incompetent my local school corporation is, as well as most in the area. I imagine it translates to California, the Bankruptcy State.

post #31 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I know how wasteful, corrupt, and incompetent my local school corporation is, as well as most in the area. I imagine it translates to California, the Bankruptcy State.

A bit off topic, TS, but I for one am glad you've not been banned. But have you been and now you're, like, a Mod Zombie now? Just asking.

For your sake, I hope you're right.
For your sake, I hope you're right.
post #32 of 71
Quote:

I believe they have at least seen screenshots of iOS 7. Regardless, other than the overall look, iOS 7 isn't that different. A few months after 7 rolls out most people will look on 7 as normal anyway, so it's more like if they had iOS 6 they would be seen as antiquated.
post #33 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

A bit off topic, TS, but I for one am glad you've not been banned.

Agreed...

post #34 of 71
Quote:

If the CTO/CIO of LAPS didn't demand a NDA covered discussion of iOS7 in the last week prior to greenlighting the decision, then it's their fault.  Apple would have been happy to discuss that  AFTER the keynote to a potential customer of this size.

And iOS6 will be supported for a year or 2, and the transition will be faster for the kids than the teachers. time marches on... most kids are able to teach their parents the iPad, because there is no prior knowledge to erase.  Trust me, iOS7 isn't a show stopper for someone who has never picked up a mobile device before... and more importantly, anyone who has played with gameboys, xboxes, ps3s, etc.   

post #35 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

A bit off topic, TS, but I for one am glad you've not been banned. But have you been and now you're, like, a Mod Zombie now? Just asking.

I couldn't say with certainty what's going on right now, but I'm actually sort of digging the fact that the "Banned" tag hasn't been removed from my sidebar there. 1biggrin.gif

post #36 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitallife View Post

Simply BEAUTIFUL, that's the way of doing things. It is the best for our children:)1smile.gif1smile.gif

Bingo! :)

post #37 of 71
Quote:

Having been running iOS 7 since it went beta I must say I have mixed feelings and you make a good point about this for schools. I have found myself staring at the screen many times thinking where the hell is the button to this or that only to realize the word is there such as 'send' rather than a graphic and or text. I'm very graphically minded and always have OS X Finder options in tool bars set to the graphic plus text and actually have problems when it is text only. My brain just doesn't see words alone the same way for some reason. My suggestion, not that Apple want to hear this I bet, is give users an option to retain more of the graphics if they wish or go as bare bones as iOS 7 seems to be. I always agreed that Contacts and Calendar looked terrible and were taken to extremes but now I find calendar too stark by far. As I say, I think this is such a personal thing I don't see why there can't be options as to how stark (clean, flat or what ever you want to call it) you want to go.

Oh and the start screen is just too ... something ... ... an arrow pointing up (no text) for the new control of media etc. menu and ... just text (no graphic arrow) for 'slide to unlock' (which is slide to the right) ... so we have text and a graphic, two different design approaches, together and requiring 90° different action ... now that is weird. 1biggrin.gif
Edited by digitalclips - 6/19/13 at 10:41am
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #38 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I couldn't say with certainty what's going on right now, but I'm actually sort of digging the fact that the "Banned" tag hasn't been removed from my sidebar there. 1biggrin.gif

Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

- Welcome back, TS!
post #39 of 71

Lucky students!

Imagine if they had iPads back when most of us were kids and still in school!

It sure beats lugging around a huge stack of heavy, used books, with obscene scribbling on most pages.

post #40 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The second-largest school system in the U.S., the L.A. Unified School District, has awarded Apple with a $30 million contract to provide iPads to every student it serves [updated with comment from Apple].

The deal was approved by the district's board in a unanimous vote on Tuesday, according to the Los Angeles Times. The district will pay $678 per device, and the iPads will come preloaded with educational software.

So Apple's stock drops 1% today.

Meanwhile, Microsoft gives way 10,000 units for $200 ($2 million) each and everyone's raving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebergh View Post

"The second-largest school system in the U.S., the L.A. Unified School District, has awarded Apple with a $30 million contract to provide iPads to every student it serves.."

"... the iPad will be used by students at 47 campuses in the L.A. Unified School District..."

Something about this story does not! According to the district website, " LAUSD enrolls more than 640,000 students.... at over 900 schools, and 187 public charter schools"

That certainly doesn't sound like they are buying an iPad for EVERY student if they are only sending them out to 47 sites!
-eb

The article said that this is the first phase of a larger rollout. So the total is going to be much more than $30 M and presumably involve more than the 47 sites they're starting with.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple wins $30 million iPad contract from LA school district [u]
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple wins $30 million iPad contract from LA school district [u]