or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Leaked schematics reveal what case makers expect Apple's low-cost iPhone & 'iPhone 5S' will look like

Leaked schematics reveal what case makers expect Apple's low-cost iPhone & 'iPhone 5S' will look... - Page 2

post #41 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

This "lite" version is stupid. I think they will modify the 4 with lightning and perhaps not use glass and release that off contract when the 5S is released. There is no sense designing a cheap version of the flagship.

I'd say 4S, if anything at all. No reason to keep around the iPhone 4 another year so that people demand iOS 8 on it, right? Of course they'll use glass; they'll have to, won't they? Plastic can't match the tactile sensitivity, can it? Apple's not about cutting corners on the experience they present, even for the people dumb enough to cut corners on the experience they have.
post #42 of 121
Quote:

This "lite" version is stupid. I think they will modify the 4 with lightning and perhaps not use glass and release that off contract when the 5S is released. There is no sense designing a cheap version of the flagship.

There's demand for iPhone's in countries not able to afford the premier choice a la mode, so I think producing a viable version of it with 4ish to middle 4S specs is a good idea, considering the new 5S/6 will still be faster and better than the other iPhone... plus the plastic casing allows them to easily manufacture it because it's following a mold design instead of having to cut the aluminum, then use the diamond edge to cut the bezel on the edges reducing assembly and part costs.

It may not be the phone you would want to buy right off the bat but remember that Tim Cook admires M.L.K. and Bobby Kennedy so he knows about oppression and wants to help those who want to purchase Apple Products easier, and it's not about it's design, but the costs taken to produce a phone for those who want it. And that's a good thing for the world.

iTunes Radio - Apple TV with Wifi AC - Gold Anodized Aluminum iPhone - Mac Pro: September - November 2013

iTunes Radio - Apple TV with Wifi AC - Gold Anodized Aluminum iPhone - Mac Pro: September - November 2013

post #43 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdefender View Post

It may not be the phone you would want to buy right off the bat but remember that Tim Cook admires M.L.K. and Bobby Kennedy so he knows about oppression and wants to help those who want to purchase Apple Products easier, and it's not about it's design, but the costs taken to produce a phone for those who want it. And that's a good thing for the world.

... what?

They're making a low cost iPhone to fight oppression?

censored

censored

post #44 of 121
This iPhone Lite design makes sense...I think this is real. As for its specs - I reckon mostly 4s internals with a composite body and iPhone 5 screen, Lightning connector and cameras.

As for the body being slightly larger and thicker than the iPhone 5, it probably needs to be to retain adequate tensile strength as its made of plastic.
post #45 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

... what?

They're making a low cost iPhone to fight oppression?

I ment suppression, whoops. haha. But used in the sentence I made, it's better to just say that Tim Cook is a good guy.

post #46 of 121

I still have no idea...

censored

censored

post #47 of 121
If they keep the same amazing profit margin it simply will not matter. Sales are down so profits will go back sky high with this. The only problem is keeping perception of a more expensive model premium.
post #48 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Just because you don't doesn't mean we all don't. Emerging markets are low income countries who wouldn't normally need or be able to afford such a device.
However, places such as India and China are starting to bloom economically so it's a good idea to get your foot in the door and get yourself known so they are more likely to upgrade to the full iPhone experience when they can.

1oyvey.gif You apparently have no idea either. I'm really getting tired of this completely uneducated thought process that imagines some poor farmers in India & China in desperate need of a plastic iPhone...because they can afford $299 US up front, with a $45 a month cost. Yeah...no. Sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdefender View Post

There's demand for iPhone's in countries not able to afford the premier choice a la mode, so I think producing a viable version of it with 4ish to middle 4S specs is a good idea, considering the new 5S/6 will still be faster and better than the other iPhone... plus the plastic casing allows them to easily manufacture it because it's following a mold design instead of having to cut the aluminum, then use the diamond edge to cut the bezel on the edges reducing assembly and part costs.

1rolleyes.gif Because...we wouldn't want to give the "oppressed" new features?

People are struggling with this big time...if you don't think you're struggling, its because you think you have a handle on something, that you absolutely don't.

There is no such thing as an iPhone that costs less than $500 retail, off contract. And the cheapest one at the moment (since the 3GS was eliminated) is the iPhone 4. Even the 3GS never got lower than $375 off contract.

If you think $375 (or in fact anything above $99) up front is the answer to "low-cost" or "emerging markets"...you are delusional.
post #49 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by aBeliefSystem View Post

If they keep the same amazing profit margin it simply will not matter. Sales are down so profits will go back sky high with this. The only problem is keeping perception of a more expensive model premium.

LMAO. Who's sales are down, exactly? Link? LOL.
post #50 of 121
I don't see a point in an iPhone "Light/Lite" because if history is any indication, the iPhone 5 will take the place of the iPhone 4S and will go for $99 (with contract) and the iPhone 5S will be the flagship model starting at $299... The iPhone 5 has kicked ass thus far and for $99 it's a steal and will definitely serve the purpose for a low-cost solution.
post #51 of 121
Quote:

Wrong way round.  In  the last earnings call sales were up and it was profits that were (very slightly) down.  Most commenters attributed the lower profit margin to either the iPad mini, consumer preference for the iPhone 4/4S instead of the iPhone 5, or both.

censored

censored

post #52 of 121

Cheap/plastic iPhone?...I don't like this at all, for Apple's profitability sake...cannibalization will take place, and pushing a segment they don't have to compete in.

Instead, why not look at something more along these lines for phones?

Low end: iPhone Nano (2.5" screen).  lowest cost phone with low cost data plans.  Durable but with no 3rd party iOS apps.

Medium end: outdated iPhones (4 or 4s).  low cost phone with high cost data plan.

High end: newest generation iPhone (5s).  high cost phone with high cost data plan.

Large screen: newest phone with 4.5" screen. high cost phone with high cost data plan.  Possible stripped down just a bit to keep retail price down while maintaining profit margins.

I admit there's no perfect line of phones, but the above seems to avoid unnecessary cannibalization but addresses the major/growing market segments.

Apple should NOT compete in the cheaper, plastic, 3.5" screen market segment...give that one away to Android.  Apple already has a fairly cheap phone in that category, it's called a very good iPhone 4 or 4s.

post #53 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

Low end: iPhone Nano (2.5" screen).  lowest cost phone with low cost data plans.  Durable but with no 3rd party iOS apps.

What right does this device have to exist? What's the point? No apps? 2.5" screen? It's utterly useless.

How about something simple?

iPhone 5S: $199 on contract
iPhone 5: $99 on contract
iPhone 4S: $0 on contract
iPhone 4S: $399 off contract, unlocked

Sell the last one in India and China and then pop in the earplugs for the whiners who still demand something cheaper.
post #54 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

i'd say that's a pretty safe bet to make.  The iPhone and the Pro..although I doubt they'll call it iPhone Pro.

"Apple doesn't care about Pro users." /s

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #55 of 121
Quote:

Profit Growth dropped. Profit did not and neither did sales.
post #56 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What right does this device have to exist? What's the point? No apps? 2.5" screen? It's utterly useless.

If the iPhone is an iPod Touch with an added phone, this fictional device might be thought of as an iPod nano with a phone.  Smaller, has fixed apps, narrower focus, cheaper.

There's still mileage in an easy to use phone with a great music player built in and not much else.  Whether it's Apple-scale mileage I don't know.  I doubt it actually.  But that doesn't mean it's an entirely stupid idea.

censored

censored

post #57 of 121
Quote:

How about something simple?

iPhone 5S: $199 on contract
iPhone 5: $99 on contract
iPhone 4S: $0 on contract
iPhone 4S: $399 off contract, unlocked

Sell the last one in India and China and then pop in the earplugs for the whiners who still demand something cheaper.

it's not utterly useless to:

- parents looking to get their kids a mobile phone

- tech savvy people who want add'l options for mobility that also have an iPad or Laptop.

- all those who want a smaller phone device, more durable, less expensive...but still want infrequent use of email/text.

Describe to me how a 2.5" device would be utterly useless to the audience above.

It could be a flip device to minimize size (and protect the screen).

You really should avoid using such demeaning words such as "utterly" and "useless".  If you do, then explain in detail why.

Your lineup does not address what many in this forum are saying, which is that the older iPhones are still too expensive.

post #58 of 121
Quote:

If the iPhone is an iPod Touch with an added phone, this fictional device might be thought of as an iPod nano with a phone.  Smaller, has fixed apps, narrower focus, cheaper.

There's still mileage in an easy to use phone with a great music player built in and not much else.  Whether it's Apple-scale mileage I don't know.  I doubt it actually.  But that doesn't mean it's an entirely stupid idea.

Tallest, take note...see how Crowley found some merit and said it's NOT, "...an entirely stupid idea."

It's a much more effective way to carry on a valuable discussion. 1wink.gif

post #59 of 121
It is easy to do a 2" Nano watch phone.
post #60 of 121
Quote:

- tech savvy people who want add'l options for mobility that also have an iPad or Laptop.
- all those who want a smaller phone device, more durable, less expensive...but still want infrequent use of email/text.

That's not what the iPhone is.
Quote:
It could be a flip device...

Now you're just taking the mickey.
Quote:
If you do, then explain in detail why.

I did. No apps = DOA. Have you not noticed the entire mobile phone industry since 2008?
post #61 of 121

I would suggest that these may show that Apple is trying to assist Google by producing a reference design for the Next Nexus.

Cheers

post #62 of 121
iPhone 5S? That sucks. They need to make iPhone 6. This "S" moniker is the stupidest thing ever. No wonder Samsung is gaining on Apple 1frown.gif Whoever is behind this "S" thing needs to get fired.
post #63 of 121
Quote:

I did. No apps = DOA. Have you not noticed the entire mobile phone industry since 2008?

Non-smartphones still outship smartphones by about 7 to 1 - Gartner

Especially true if you buy the line that some/many/most of Android phones that classify as smartphones are only ever used as feature phones.

Apple still make and update their iPod lineup, so it's not beyond comprehension that they might get into another market that isn't bleeding edge.

Edited by Crowley - 6/19/13 at 1:52pm

censored

censored

post #64 of 121
Quote:

Describe to me how a 2.5" device would be utterly useless to the audience above.

You really should avoid using such demeaning words such as "utterly" and "useless".  If you do, then explain in detail why.

Your lineup does not address what many in this forum are saying, which is that the older iPhones are still too expensive.

All of the categories you mentioned are served well with the current lineup:

Parents can get their kids older models on contract for free or at minimal upfront cost. If they don't want a contract, they can give their kids old iPhones as they themselves upgrade, or get them cheaper used/refurbished.

I consider myself to be in the tech savvy category, and I don't see how I would be better served by an iPhone nano. My iP5 is small enough to fit in my pocket, and I would never give up full app support for the times when my iPad is not on me.

I doubt very strongly that there is much demand for a smaller phone. Many people already complain that the iPhone is to small as is.
post #65 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Yeah, but we are talking twice as thick if these drawings are accurate.  That makes no sense because of parts, because last years parts, or even the years before that, were only slightly smaller than the current ones.  The only way it could be that thick due to parts, is if it has three or four year old parts inside like the old 3G iPhones.  

If that's the case, then this is truly a phone for Africa or India and will be something that only a desperately poor person would even consider. I'm still thinking it makes more sense for Apple to target the middle of the market rather than the very bottom of it.  

I'm not sure you know what desperately poor looks like. It doesn't look anything like buying a smartphone of any brand 1oyvey.gif

For your sake, I hope you're right.
post #66 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Yeah, I've thought this for a while now too.  That's why I like to call the new one "iPhone cheapo" because there is really no way to name it that doesn't make it sound like a lesser product.  Even the "iPhone light" suggested here, just sounds like it's missing something that the regular iPhone has.  How do you market a "cheaper" Mercedes or a "budget" Rolex?  

Apple would be better off naming the new "cheapo" iPhone as plain old "iPhone," and giving the new name to the original ("iPhone pro," "iPhone x" etc.).

I disagree that Apple would even consider naming a cheaper build model "iPhone". Not. Gonna. Happen. Ever. They would never have called an iPad Mini "iPad" and added a qualifier instead to the 9.7" iPad to indicate that it is better than the (new, cheaper, smaller) iPad.

I don't think they've ever done such a thing to a new category product in the post-iPhone era. Any new cheaper build model will be iPhone xyz, but they would not dilute the iPhone brand in a way that suggests iPhone is anything other than the best phone, period.

post #67 of 121

At the risk of being picky, these are not schematics. These are assembly drawings.

post #68 of 121
Quote:

How are they going to miniaturize all the components to fit a 2.5" screen? Miniaturization isn't cheap. Why spend all that capital to undercut your flagship iPhone? The margins will be smaller as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighype View Post

iPhone 5S? That sucks. They need to make iPhone 6. This "S" moniker is the stupidest thing ever. No wonder Samsung is gaining on Apple 1frown.gif Whoever is behind this "S" thing needs to get fired.

Surely, you're trolling. And I didn't call you "Shirley".
post #69 of 121
Quote:

Agreed. I'm not really following the rationale of some other posts. The only thing that I would add to yours is that Apple will move all their handsets to 4" Retinas and cease production soon (if they haven't already) of 3.5" Retinas. For a cheaper-to-build model I think we'll see 4 or 4S internals in a new shell and with Lightning. $400 off contract.

However, even if the internals are last year's, how does Apple visually differentiate the industrial design from the flagship model? I just don't think they'll go back to plastic, as much sense as that might make.

post #70 of 121
Quote:

Non-smartphones still outship smartphones by about 7 to 1 - Gartner

Especially true if you buy the line that some/many/most of Android phones that classify as smartphones are only ever used as feature phones.

Apple still make and update their iPod lineup, so it's not beyond comprehension that they might get into another market that isn't bleeding edge.

But what's the point if there's no profit in these feature phones?

post #71 of 121
Quote:

That's not what the iPhone is.
Now you're just taking the mickey.

What the hell are you even saying, "that's not what the iphone is"?  Hold SOME kind of discussion for heaven's sake.

Mickey?...as in alcohol?  I'm not sure, but again, you're just coming off as a dismissive jerk.

post #72 of 121
Quote:

How are they going to miniaturize all the components to fit a 2.5" screen? Miniaturization isn't cheap. Why spend all that capital to undercut your flagship iPhone? The margins will be smaller as well.

That's a good point.  But know that the iPod nano is already done.  Whether or not it can make that while keeping margins is a challenge.  But at least, it's a totally separate segment, so I disagree that it would undercut the flagship iPhone at all.

post #73 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

But what's the point if there's no profit in these feature phones?
There's not a whole lot of profit in smartphones either, unless you're Apple or Samsung. Tablet computing was a dead industry before Appple entered it. So maybe, just maybe, Apple will find a way to turn a profit from delivering a compelling feature phone with a healthy margin.
Edited by Crowley - 6/19/13 at 4:00pm

censored

censored

post #74 of 121
I think a plastic case is a great idea. I would never carry an iPhone 4 or 5 around without a case, but a plastic, less expensive iPhone, I would definitely consider carrying around with no case. So for me anyway, the thickness could actually wind up being less.
post #75 of 121
Quote:

Why does it personally matter to you where (you think) Samsung is in relation to Apple? Is that so important? Does Apple's position affect your enjoyment of the iPhone? It has absolutely no effect on mine. I actually use my phone. It's not some self-esteem crutch.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #76 of 121
Quote:

That's a good point.  But know that the iPod nano is already done.  Whether or not it can make that while keeping margins is a challenge.  But at least, it's a totally separate segment, so I disagree that it would undercut the flagship iPhone at all.

But the iPod nano is so limited compared to the iPod touch in terms of functionality. I doubt Apple will ever release a limited iPhone. It isn't in the feature phone market.
post #77 of 121
Non retina, older CPU in a new process => more CPUs per dye, lower res camera module, cheaper case, less and slower flash memory

That adds up to quite some savings.

On the other hand it also slows down the speed of iOS evolution, because lack of RAM, speed and storage are what limits the advance of the platform.
post #78 of 121
Fake.

There are only two kind of people in this world.

Those who dont understand Apple and those who misunderstood Apple.

There are only two kind of people in this world.

Those who dont understand Apple and those who misunderstood Apple.

post #79 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

2 things I don't get: why a lower cost iPhone has to be plastic and why it has to be thicker. Unless Apple would do that to keep it from stealing flagship device sales. But they didn't do that with the iPad mini. Most likely the next full size iPad will take its design cues from the mini.

I they did precisely that with the mini but using other features, like withholding the retina display and the latest generation of CPU. The mini was also a response to cheaper Android tablets so it had to have some compelling features, like price and form factor, to justify it's existence.

post #80 of 121
Quote:

Gaining, because of their S4 ¿
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Leaked schematics reveal what case makers expect Apple's low-cost iPhone & 'iPhone 5S' will look like
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Leaked schematics reveal what case makers expect Apple's low-cost iPhone & 'iPhone 5S' will look like