or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Leaked schematics reveal what case makers expect Apple's low-cost iPhone & 'iPhone 5S' will look like
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Leaked schematics reveal what case makers expect Apple's low-cost iPhone & 'iPhone 5S' will look... - Page 3

post #81 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by abazigal View Post

My guess is that they want to make the lower-cost iphone feel "less premium" than the iphone5s, to avoid cannibalising its sales. Thicker could be because of different brand of parts which are not as small? For example, there are rumours that Apple might not use their A-series of processors, but instead utilise snapdragon processors. 

 

I am more interested to know how they intend to "gimp" it. My guess is that it will obviously omit Siri, but buying into the IOS ecosystem would mean consumers still enjoy maps, mail, facetime, imessage and icloud. Will it still be retina? 

 

It's unlikely that they would not use one of their existing A-series CPUs, and more likely it will be functionally capable somewhere within the range of the 4S/5 level. Whatever capabilities it misses will also likely just be new ones that are only on a "5S". If they retain the 5 as the $99 option, and replace the 4S as the "free" offering with the so-called iPhone Light then that makes a lot more sense with Apple's history.

 

There's no way Siri functionality won't be included and very unlikely it won't be Retina. It makes no sense from a supply chain sourcing strategy to move to a different screen.

post #82 of 121
Stunning that there still such clueless people that keep bringing up the Faux-iPhone idea. Aka iPhone Nano.

It's not even an idea, per se. It's just an embarrassment in text form.
post #83 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Stunning that there still such clueless people that keep bringing up the Faux-iPhone idea. Aka iPhone Nano.

It's not even an idea, per se. It's just an embarrassment in text form.

So honoured to be in the presence of a stunningly clued in person. Your pearls of wisdom have us bathed in enlightenment for days and days.
post #84 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post


So honoured to be in the presence of a stunningly clued in person. Your pearls of wisdom have us bathed in enlightenment for days and days.


Thanks for beating me to the punch.  Well said.

 

Hey, I'm still not fully convinced about a feature phone either.  I do believe that a feature phone would be more probable than an iPhone nano, just because an iPhone Nano (with all iPhone features) would compete too much with existing iPhone lines and would be too expensive to meet profit margins.

 

A while ago, mjtomlin posted his opinion piece on an Apple feature phone.  I think it's worth considering and I agree with many of his points (except I think the feature phone would indeed have wifi).

http://www.obviouslogic.com/opinions/iphone-nano.php

post #85 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

A while ago, mjtomlin posted his opinion piece on an Apple feature phone.  I think it's worth considering and I agree with many of his points (except I think the feature phone would indeed have wifi).
http://www.obviouslogic.com/opinions/iphone-nano.php
Quote:
Will not have:
Access to the AppStore
WiFi
GPS or Maps
AirPlay
Siri

So what's the point?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #86 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So what's the point?
 
telephone
tel·e·phoned, tel·e·phon·ing.
noun
1.
an apparatus, system, or process for transmission of sound or speech to a distant point, especially by an electric device.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #87 of 121

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #88 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

 


telephone


tel·e·phoned, 
tel·e·phon·ing.



noun

1.

an apparatus, system, or process for transmission of sound or speech to a distant point, especially by an electric device.





Apple doesn't make cell phones, it makes smart phones.
post #89 of 121

Apple have never entered a new market, ever.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #90 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Apple have never entered a new market, ever.

Thing is, I'm just not sure the iPod shuffle is usable as a valid component to this argument.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #91 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post



So what's the point?


Since you provide no value in your responses to my posts...please do not comment to my posts (esp knowing that I have you on ignore as of now).

post #92 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

Since you provide no value in your responses to my posts...please do not comment to my posts (esp knowing that I have you on ignore as of now).

Nah, I'll reply to whomever I choose, thanks. Either answer my question or don't bother.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #93 of 121

What "point" was there to the original iPhone that can't be extrapolated to a feature phone class iPhone nano (or mini, or whatever).

 

Apple make consumer electronics that are known for being high build quality and very easy to use.  There's plenty of point there.

 

Quit being so obtuse, it's irritating.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #94 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Apple make consumer electronics that are known for being high build quality and very easy to use.  There's plenty of point there.

That's the overarching statement, yes. That doesn't give purpose to any one device. You could justify any piece of electronic equipment for any reason with that statement. Apple could very well be making a blender.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #95 of 121

They could, but there aren't any rumours about that.  What's your point?

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #96 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

They could, but there aren't any rumours about that.  What's your point?

Well, I'm wondering what yours is now, since "existence of rumors" wasn't what we were discussing.

That link supposes a product that is, in every single fundamental way, NOT what an iPhone is. Therefore there's little reason to assume it would ever exist.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #97 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, I'm wondering what yours is now, since "existence of rumors" wasn't what we were discussing.

 

We are discussing it because of the existence of rumours.  When there are rumours of an iBlender we can discuss that.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That link supposes a product that is, in every single fundamental way, NOT what an iPhone is. Therefore there's little reason to assume it would ever exist.
 

Perhaps.  If you're so convinced why are you bothering to engage with other people's fun with rumours?  Why the need to shoot harmless wishful thinking and theorising down?

 

Besides which, I don't think your premise stands.  The fundamental things that an iPhone is, from the very first unveiling, are a phone, an iPod, and an internet communications devices.  You can add "app platform" into that as of iOS2.

A feature phone could accomplish the first two, and a chunk of the third, it's just the fourth that the fictional device we've been discussing here leaves out.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #98 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

...the fictional device we've been discussing here leaves out.

So what gives anyone the idea that Apple would ever do this?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #99 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post


Besides which, I don't think your premise stands.  The fundamental things that an iPhone is, from the very first unveiling, are a phone, an iPod, and an internet communications devices.  You can add "app platform" into that as of iOS2.
A feature phone could accomplish the first two, and a chunk of the third, it's just the fourth that the fictional device we've been discussing here leaves out.

So is Apple going to pay people to use a feature phone considering you can get the full iPhone 4 experience for $0 with a contract.
post #100 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


So what gives anyone the idea that Apple would ever do this?

 

There's a large market there, with room for Apple to make something that blows away the user experience.  They're already present in the similar smartphone market, so know a lot of what they need to know.

 

Remember this?

 

 

There's still a lot of empty space in the right hand side of that grid.

 

What more do you need?  Why does anyone need to prove viability to you in order to have a conversation about what such a device might do if Apple were to make one.


Edited by Crowley - 6/23/13 at 2:26am

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #101 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


So is Apple going to pay people to use a feature phone considering you can get the full iPhone 4 experience for $0 with a contract.

 

A very expensive contract, because of the huge subsidy.  Also, off-contract it's a long way from $0, so Apple don't have a strong presence in the prepaid market.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #102 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

There's still a lot of empty space in the right hand side of that grid.

You have to fill in the rest of the chart... 1oyvey.gif

Here's the finished bit.


"That's the same..."

Nope. See that thing in the corner? That's the Best, with a capital letter. Why would they make something that isn't when they already have?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #103 of 121

Because if you inflated the size of the circles to their market size, the red circle dominates the chart, and the current green circle isn't siphoning off users from the red at as fast a rate any more.

 

Why did they make an iPod Mini/Nano?  Because they could, it made for good product, and it increased their share, and made them a load of money.  Exact same reasons why they might be tempted to a feature-phone class iPhone (or another name).

 

Again, stop being obtuse, this is incredibly boring.  I think I'll go back to ignoring you.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #104 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Because if you inflated the size of the circles to their market size, the red circle dominates the chart, and the current green circle isn't siphoning off users from the red at as fast a rate any more.

That's mixing metaphors and stretching it a bit thin.
Quote:
...a feature-phone class iPhone (or another name).

It'd make for a good ad, at least.

"Hey, remember that second to none ecosystem we've been creating for the last six years? And how we've always been a company that focuses on the experience of our products? Buy our new phone so that YOU CAN'T BE A PART OF IT AT ALL.

This is our signature, and it means everything:"

*fade in with the Wi-Fi logo, the App Store logo, the iOS logo, the Siri logo, and a map with a huge "NO" sign over all of them*
Quote:
Again, stop being obtuse...

Talk about obtuse. Did you even read the link?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #105 of 121

I'd say your understanding of rich information is a bit thin if you can't comprehend the size of the feature phone market and why that might be attractive to Apple.

 

We stopped talking about the link half a page ago.  We're talking about a feature phone.  Keep up.

 

Ignoring now, bye.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #106 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

I'd say your understanding of rich information is a bit thin if you can't comprehend the size of the feature phone market and why that might be attractive to Apple.

I don't recall saying anything about that. I recall saying that Apple isn't in the business of making crap, and that it would be ludicrous to abandon the ecosystem they worked so long to create, much less have a "stripped down" iOS.

I said nothing about the size of the stupidphone market.
Quote:
We stopped talking about the link half a page ago.  We're talking about a feature phone.  Keep up.

Thanks for confirming you didn't read the link.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #107 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

I'd say your understanding of rich information is a bit thin if you can't comprehend the size of the feature phone market and why that might be attractive to Apple.

We stopped talking about the link half a page ago.  We're talking about a feature phone.  Keep up.

Ignoring now, bye.

The feature phone market is shrinking while the smart phone market is expanding. Why would Apple waste money entering a shrinking market?
post #108 of 121

Like watches?  Or tablets?  Or mp3 players?  Or small form factor laptops?

 

I don't particular care about the whys or wheres of whether Apple will enter the market.  Apple decides what markets they'll enter, not me, or you, or the idiot.  And they do so when they have a product that will add value to that market, which none of us can possibly know because we don't have access to their labs.  But if they did, how would they do it?  What could they have cooking in their labs?  These are interesting questions to me.

 

If you aren't interested in those questions there are plenty of other threads.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #109 of 121
I'm still not sold on the iwatch but then again Apple is not competing against Rolex. It remains to be seen if smart watches are any good.

Tablets were DOA before the iPad and not because no one wanted tablets.

Apple entered the mp3 market early enough when it was making money. It was the leading reason for growth.

There were no real ultra books prior to the MBA. In addition, the MBA was ridiculed for being expensive.

There will be no feature phone iPhone. When people think of the iPhone, they think phone, Internet, media player, apps.
post #110 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I'm still not sold on the iwatch but then again Apple is not competing against Rolex. It remains to be seen if smart watches are any good.

 

True, but lots of peoples are taking it seriously and it's a market that isn't exactly on fire, hardly any young people wear watches any more. Which is my point; if Apple have something in their R&D that is compelling, then they'll enter the market, irrespective of whether it's growing, or shrinking.  If they don't have the product, they won't.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Tablets were DOA before the iPad and not because no one wanted tablets.
 

My point exactly.  The industry was pretty much dead, but Apple entered it anyway because they felt they has something to offer, something that people would buy. They were right.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Apple entered the mp3 market early enough when it was making money. It was the leading reason for growth.
 

And yet as the iPod launched it was said that the mp3 player market was oversaturated, a fad, and had no more room for growth.  Apple thought that was wrong, there was room for growth, and they had something compelling that they though people would buy.  That's my point.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

There were no real ultra books prior to the MBA. In addition, the MBA was ridiculed for being expensive.

 

And it didn't sell very well, if I recall correctly.  The first Air was pretty far from what we call an Ultrabook today, it wasn't powerful, didn't have the battery life, and didn't have the IO many need.  But Apple kept iterating until it was worth buying, they saw a market there that they could own if they got in early enough.

 

Now they're at the 11" size, a size that was pretty much dead for anything other than netbooks.  They saw a compelling product they could introduce to a non-existant sector and launched it.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

There will be no feature phone iPhone. When people think of the iPhone, they think phone, Internet, media player, apps.
 

When people thought of the iPad, they thought of feminine hygiene products.  People's thoughts change.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #111 of 121
People want added functionality unless there is a reasonable trade off.

I don't think price is a reasonable trade off. It's easier to add features than take them a way.
post #112 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I'm still not sold on the iwatch but then again Apple is not competing against Rolex. It remains to be seen if smart watches are any good.

Tablets were DOA before the iPad and not because no one wanted tablets.

Apple entered the mp3 market early enough when it was making money. It was the leading reason for growth.

There were no real ultra books prior to the MBA. In addition, the MBA was ridiculed for being expensive.

There will be no feature phone iPhone. When people think of the iPhone, they think phone, Internet, media player, apps.

1) There's a reason why I am wearing a cheap $20 watch I bought from a roadside stall (which 4 years later, is still working great). It does what I want it to (tell time, act as a stop watch, with a night-light), and there are no features in those high-end watches that might tempt me to splash out several thousand dollars. If anything, it baffles me how even established companies like G-Shock can screw up the design of their watches (make the panel for stopwatches so small it's practically impossible to see without squinting, difficult to adjust the time, and I can only move the minute/hour hand forward, not backward). 1rolleyes.gif

 

The pebble watch looked interesting, but they took too long to market, the final product didn't look very impressive, and there are more competitors now. I am not sure if the short battery life will be a dealbreaker, but I will definitely given any i-watch a try. 

 

2) And the first MBA did in fact suck (or at least was ahead of its time). It was expensive, slow, had short battery life, and even the SSD option stank because of the slow read/write rates then. That said, the idea of using a unibody construction and doing away with the DVD drive was, in hindsight, pure genius. In a time where laptops were getting bigger and heavier because manufacturers were trying to one-up each other by cramming in more features, it took Apple to remind everyone what a laptop was for - portable computing. 

 

What's my point? Nothing, I guess. Just ranting. 

post #113 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

People want added functionality unless there is a reasonable trade off.

I don't think price is a reasonable trade off. It's easier to add features than take them a way.

 

Possible advantages over the existing iPhone:

- portability.  Yes, some really do want a smaller more durable phone.

- price.  In addition to lower cost hardware, it's possible that networks would offer lower cost data plans.

- simple.  There are millions out there who still don't want a touch screen smart phone because they believe their lives don't need one.

 

I'm baffled as to why you think price is not a reasonable trade off...it's smack dab in the middle of every single product offering that every existed (+ or - 1%).  Maybe you intended to say that it depends on the actual price tradeoff and whether it's substantial enough for the customer to consider.

 

I agree with you that the trend of decreasing sales of feature phones should be an important factor in Apple's decision to get into the feature phone market (amongst other factors, obviously).

post #114 of 121
While we in the "developed" world ponder over how we might share some of our telecom advances and advantages with less fortunate Africans and Asians, we may miss out on how they might be moving faster than USA and Europe in deployment and adoption of mobile.

In many parts of Africa, for example, mobile is the default telecom medium. Children there understand land lines as much as we understand telegrams. While we snicker at failure of NFC to take off, mobile payment is spreading fast and wide in Africa.

All to say, we should think not only about how to "download" our technology to the undeveloped populations. We should think about how to learn from them. It's not simply about Apple showing them what subset of iTunes apps they can inherit. It may be about Apple reinventing a new device to meet than their demands.
post #115 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

Possible advantages over the existing iPhone:
- portability.  Yes, some really do want a smaller more durable phone.
- price.  In addition to lower cost hardware, it's possible that networks would offer lower cost data plans.
- simple.  There are millions out there who still don't want a touch screen smart phone because they believe their lives don't need one.

I'm baffled as to why you think price is not a reasonable trade off...it's smack dab in the middle of every single product offering that every existed (+ or - 1%).  Maybe you intended to say that it depends on the actual price tradeoff and whether it's substantial enough for the customer to consider.

I agree with you that the trend of decreasing sales of feature phones should be an important factor in Apple's decision to get into the feature phone market (amongst other factors, obviously).

Portability? The iPhone can fit in any pocket or purse. How small should it be?

Price? Cell carriers voluntarily lower data plan pricing? Hahahaha. What's the incentive for them to direct customers to cheaper phones/plans?

Simple? Why would Apple want to cater to them. Apple can't sell something to everyone. Why isn't there an iCalculator. The feature phone market is shrinking. Leave them to Nokia or Sony. The money is in smartphones. In addition, you can a cheap-ass android. So why would you want Apple to go for the lowest common denominator.

I may have been too simplistic to say that price is not a good trade off. Apple doesn't do cheap. There isn't a $300 Mac. There isn't a $500 MacBook.
post #116 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


Portability? The iPhone can fit in any pocket or purse. How small should it be?

Price? Cell carriers voluntarily lower data plan pricing? Hahahaha. What's the incentive for them to direct customers to cheaper phones/plans?

Simple? Why would Apple want to cater to them. Apple can't sell something to everyone. Why isn't there an iCalculator. The feature phone market is shrinking. Leave them to Nokia or Sony. The money is in smartphones. In addition, you can a cheap-ass android. So why would you want Apple to go for the lowest common denominator.

I may have been too simplistic to say that price is not a good trade off. Apple doesn't do cheap. There isn't a $300 Mac. There isn't a $500 MacBook.


Sounds like we need to agree to disagree.

So while I'm not saying that a feature phone is the bees knees, I cannot see why you argue that some don't prefer smaller, cheaper and simpler.

It's the reason why there is still a large feature phone market.  Whether or not Apple can execute this while maintaining acceptable margins is unclear.

But if you refuse to see any merit whatsoever in this discussion, I'm not sure I can add anything more...no disrespect.

post #117 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post


Sounds like we need to agree to disagree.
So while I'm not saying that a feature phone is the bees knees, I cannot see why you argue that some don't prefer smaller, cheaper and simpler.
It's the reason why there is still a large feature phone market.  Whether or not Apple can execute this while maintaining acceptable margins is unclear.
But if you refuse to see any merit whatsoever in this discussion, I'm not sure I can add anything more...no disrespect.

I have no doubt some people prefer "dumb" phones but Apple shouldn't cater to them. Lots of folks prefer Windows but Apple shouldn't sell windows preinstalled on the Macs.
post #118 of 121
If they dont have a bigger screen im out of apple and into google samsung tired of waiting and samsung has a better camera already and a faster phone thats two generations behind why wait for 3 years when i can have it now or buy a used one thats still better than what iphone is yet to reveal. SO tired of waiting for something to happen apple is awesome but just to slow for me i like technology and samung has that so i guess ill have to put up with not being able to use apple iphone to mac compatability but other than that there is really nothing left for me at apple iphone. just getting boring nothing new fast enough i like to give samsung a try.
post #119 of 121
If they dont have a bigger screen im out of apple and into google samsung tired of waiting and samsung has a better camera already and a faster phone thats two generations behind why wait for 3 years when i can have it now or buy a used one thats still better than what iphone is yet to reveal. SO tired of waiting for something to happen apple is awesome but just to slow for me i like technology and samung has that so i guess ill have to put up with not being able to use apple iphone to mac compatability but other than that there is really nothing left for me at apple iphone. just getting boring nothing new fast enough i like to give samsung a try.
Its been three years they have been saying oh bigger iphone or two iphones and this and that and after waiting three years i think its time to move to samsung for faster hardware upgrades iphone is sweet but to damn slow to upgrade hardware. If you wait 8 years maybe yeah!
post #120 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by ein999 View Post

If they don't have a bigger screen I'm out...

Bye.
Quote:
...a faster phone...

Sure it does.
Quote:
...why wait for 3 years when i can have it now...

That only makes sense to say if you presently own a Samsung product and are wanting something from Apple. How long did it take them to scroll smoothly, again?
Quote:
...apple is awesome but...

*two hand point, wink, and "tkk-tkk" vocalization*
Quote:
...just to slow for me i like technology and samung has that so i guess ill have to put up with not being able to use apple iPhone to mac compatability but other than that there is really nothing left for me at apple iPhone. just getting boring nothing new fast enough i like to give samsung a try.

Samsung, you really need to hire English-speaking shills before going on English-speaking websites.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Leaked schematics reveal what case makers expect Apple's low-cost iPhone & 'iPhone 5S' will look like
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Leaked schematics reveal what case makers expect Apple's low-cost iPhone & 'iPhone 5S' will look like