or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Twitter heat map shows iPhone use by the affluent, Android by the poor

Twitter heat map shows iPhone use by the affluent, Android by the poor

post #1 of 73
A map plotting the location and device platform of over a quarter billion mobile tweets show predominate use of iPhones in affluent areas and Android in poor regions, with scant representation of Blackberry outside of major cities and its strongholds in Africa, Central America, Southeast Asia and the Middle East.

Twitter iPhone - Android map
Source: MapBox

The interactively explorable globe by MapBox, tweeted by Benedict Evans, pairs data from GNIP and Twitter to light up the world one tweet at a time.

The resulting image of North and Central America depicts the wealthier, urban of United States and Canada (above) as lit up in iPhone red, while in some rural areas and south of the border, there's more Android green and Blackberry purple.

The same pattern emerges in Europe (below), where in the U.K., Scandinavia and most of Central and Western Europe are predominately red, while Spain is mostly green. Blackberry seems to continue to enjoy a greater representation in European capitals than it has retained in the U.S.

In Asia, the pattern repeats again (below), with Japan and Hong Kong dominated by red, along with major cities including Seoul, Shanghai and Taipei. The remains of Samsung's South Korea and HTC's Taiwan are dominated by green.

In closer detail, the same applies to the San Francisco Bay Area (below), where more affluent neighborhoods in Marin and Berkeley and from Silicon Valley to San Francisco appear in bright red while green dominates in poorer neighborhoods: West Oakland, East Palo Alto, Hunter's Point, Richmond and Vallejo. And again, Blackberry is represented in a bright purple spot centered in San Francisco's Financial District.

Apple continues to gain in the enterprise at Blackberry's expense, and is widely expected to announce a new foray into lower priced handsets to target markets that have, so far, been served almost exclusively by Android's lower end offerings.

Apple targets the middle tier of smartphones

The company has already sought to expand its customer base by partnering with smaller, U.S. prepaid carriers who cater to users on a budget, an effort that only began last summer.

JP Morgan

Apple has also shown itself willing to earn lower profits to expand its customer base with last fall's iPad mini, aggressively priced at just 50 more than bargain bin devices like Google's Nexus 7 and Microsoft's Surface RT, which major education markets have rejected despite its new fire sale pricing.
post #2 of 73
I can see this thread going downhill real fast.

Waiting for Apple][ to contribute... :/
post #3 of 73
Apple users have always been "upper crust"
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #4 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post

Creepy CrApple store opening in Sweden.

Fortunately, the Swedes are independent thinkers and don't easily fall for the Amerikkkan hype.

Sweden is a) pretty far up north in the cold, so not exactly the most emotive but b) all that fascist clapping probably spooked them out as well.

It's actually pretty incredible that, despite the iPhone's high import price, it's selling very well in the homeland of Ericsson in the shadow of Nokia.

But more importantly, what sends you panicking to your propaganda bin to post something that has nothing to do with the article you're commenting on? It just makes you look like a desperate shill trying to spin the conversation into the negative. Is it embitterment about Apple's success, or fear that you are threatened into becoming irrelevant? 

post #5 of 73
That's right, folks. Kenny had an iPhone.

That would explain the large shipping numbers, low web usage, and general ignorance we've witnessed from certain individuals here.

Well, I guess everybody here owes Apple ][ a standing ovation for his insight.

Like what he says, loathe what he says: he appears to have been right.

On the bright side, it will make wealth creation easier. Want to be rich? Get your ass to the nearest Apple store. BAM! Instant social upgrade.

This is the funniest discovery ever.
Edited by GTR - 6/19/13 at 6:56pm
post #6 of 73

Breaking news: map shows wealthy people buy more valuable things.

post #7 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple targets the middle tier of smartphones

JP Morgan

Or maybe since Apple already makes all the money at the top there, they're fine with that.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
post #8 of 73

Well when it come to the US, I see pretty much the same places are highlighted for both Android and iPhone, you just need to turn on one category at a time.

post #9 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by iObserve View Post

Breaking news: map shows better people buy better things.

Fixed that for you.

1wink.gif
post #10 of 73
This thread doesn't get started until Apple ][ posts. 1smile.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #11 of 73
"So much for the theory that larger screens = premium."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #12 of 73

This is a fairly useless article.  None of the pictures have the resolution necessary to tell us anything.  You should have focussed on one or two areas and turned the various types of phones on and off so we could see the distribution.  The red of the iPhone completely overwhelms everything else visually.  

Also, whomever had the idea to have the black background should be taken out and shot, it makes it much harder to see what's going on that a plain white background would (I suppose someone thought it looked "cool" like city lights at night or some such nonsense).  Literally the only picture where you can tell anything about non-iPhones is the one that shows Indonesia which is hardly surprising.  

The chart at the end is also not sourced, not explained and bears a striking resemblance to a chart that has been used in a few articles that shows iPhone/iPad price distribution but instead is labelled "smartphone distribution."  I don't trust it.  I don't trust the author, I don't think the data is presented even close to any way that we could make any accurate conclusions, and all it really says anyway is "rich people buy more expensive products."  

post #13 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Apple users have always been "upper crust"

yes, top drawer.
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
post #14 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Well when it come to the US, I see pretty much the same places are highlighted for both Android and iPhone, you just need to turn on one category at a time.

The point is not that Apple is better, but rather that Android adoption is clearly higher in poorer areas. That's something a lower priced iPhone, along with prepaid carrier support, has the potential to change.

Apple will be happy to sell stuff to poorer people. But low end smartphones are one of the last exclusive refuges of Android. First it was Fast App switching, then Notifications, then Maps+Navigation and 4G LTE, and now quick access to settings and proximity features. Apple keeps erasing Android's exclusives while Android does little to catch up with Apple's.

post #15 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is a fairly useless article.  None of the pictures have the resolution necessary to tell us anything.  You should have focussed on one or two areas and turned the various types of phones on and off so we could see the distribution.  The red of the iPhone completely overwhelms everything else visually.  

Also, whomever had the idea to have the black background should be taken out and shot, it makes it much harder to see what's going on that a plain white background would (I suppose someone thought it looked "cool" like city lights at night or some such nonsense).  Literally the only picture where you can tell anything about non-iPhones is the one that shows Indonesia which is hardly surprising.  

The chart at the end is also not sourced, not explained and bears a striking resemblance to a chart that has been used in a few articles that shows iPhone/iPad price distribution but instead is labelled "smartphone distribution."  I don't trust it.  I don't trust the author, I don't think the data is presented even close to any way that we could make any accurate conclusions, and all it really says anyway is "rich people buy more expensive products."  

Is it too much to ask that you look for hyperlinks if you're curious about details of the map you can't be bothered to find on your own? It's the Internet. If you can't find it with the directly linked, clickable text, why can't you rush to Google for a quick search before posting your rant about how dissatisfied you are that somebody didn't chew up certain facts and spit them in your mouth, sparing you from moving your lazy jaws together? 

Seriously, everything you post is an embarrassment to your parents. 

post #16 of 73
Again with "mid-end"????? How can I take the rest seriously?

Suddenly newton, you are in denial. The big screen pulled me away from iPhone, and also two guys I work with. Android is laughable, but so is a tiny screen. It's a trade-off many are making.

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, mid-2011 iMac, Apple TV 2nd Gen, iPod Nano

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, mid-2011 iMac, Apple TV 2nd Gen, iPod Nano

post #17 of 73
Lol.

This was always fairly obvious. Now it's obvious.
post #18 of 73
It seems a bit biased that in areas where there are lots of iPhone and Android points, the red iPhone dots block out the green Android ones. You have to click on the legend to see them individually to really see what's going on.

That bring said, this map is very cool, and could actually have good uses when figuring out user density for network designs.
post #19 of 73

Ok. How do we know where these people were when they tweeted on their mobile device?

I never tweet at home on my iPhone, and rarely at work, several miles away. In fact most of my tweets are 10+ miles away from home, if not in other cities all together.

post #20 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Ok. How do we know where these people were when they tweeted on their mobile device?

I never tweet at home on my iPhone, and rarely at work, several miles away. In fact most of my tweets are 10+ miles away from home, if not in other cities all together.

Well stop doing that you're ruining the map! /s

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #21 of 73
I've been calling this for a while, you can tell the type of people who own Android phones. All the android owners at my work are the same (poor and a bit simple).
Maybe android owners don't tweet as much as iPhone owners. Perhaps they don't want to admit that they can't spell or maybe they are far too busy coding apps or getting rid of viruses.
post #22 of 73

Forgive me for not posting earlier, but I didn't see this thread until just now.1biggrin.gif

post #23 of 73
This shouldn't be extremely surprising. There are a disproportionate number of android phones given away for free by budget carriers running 3 yr old versions.
post #24 of 73
From a distance all you see is the red so either a) brighter color or b) alot of the map is red compared to out her colors
post #25 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I can see this thread going downhill real fast.
/Quote
Sflocal, you are a seer. 
Exactly as forecast, straight to the toilet  from the second post.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

post #26 of 73

Is this a surprise? Everyone I know who's affluent buy an iPhone (a minority still buy Blackberry) and everyone who's tight on money buy Android.

I know this.. like.. a couple of years ago.

Edited by matrix07 - 6/20/13 at 12:10am
post #27 of 73
Let them eat Android!
post #28 of 73

The Map overlays are completely misleading, one colour completely masks the other.

Example for the UK, pretty much the same distribution.

J.

post #29 of 73

These maps seem to tell you about twitter use.  I would like to see figures for twitter use across socio-economic groups.  I will bet it wouldn't be homogenous.

post #30 of 73
So now we know that rich narcissists use iPhones and poor ones use Android. What are those without an inflated view of themselves using? "You're so vain: U-M study links social media and narcissism" http://ns.umich.edu/new/releases/21517-you-re-so-vain-u-m-study-links-social-media-and-narcissism Let’s be honest here, what sort of person feels the need to use twitter if they are not in the selling business?
post #31 of 73
To me 'affluent' sounds like something a doctor needs to see. While I know it means wealthy, having lots of money, and the like, I wish posts of these "studies" would be titled something along the lines of 'the more knowledgable', 'better educated', 'more informed', 'High Information Smart Phone Users', etc.

I by no means am affluent, and I'm not looking for my place in "status symbol land" but I know what I like. I appreciate quality and even with my reserved economic status, am willing to scratch and save in order to pay for that.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #32 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Is this a surprise? Everyone I know who's affluent buy an iPhone (a minority still buy Blackberry) and everyone who's tight on money buy Android.

I know this.. like.. a couple of years ago.

Highlighted in red: real high end corporate language.

post #33 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Only hobo's and fools own Android. I only need to look at my friends to realise that!
Every dumbass I know owns an Android, whereas anyone with a hint of intellect and cash in my owns iOS.

Your friends reflect on you. Cannot spell very well either. When and if you move up in social standing you might find that people of all walk of life own iPhone and Android device. For now, you are just ignorant.

post #34 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Fixed that for you.

1wink.gif

You're saying that a person with money is a better person than one with less?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #35 of 73
I'm guessing Kim Jong Un has an iPhone on his $7million yacht then.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #36 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'm guessing Kim Jong Un has an iPhone on his $7million yacht then.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 85

Unknown, but every person in Korea must have an iMac.

post #37 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You're saying that a person with money is a better person than one with less?

I'm saying that Android users are so poor that they open Gmail accounts so that they can eat the spam.

1wink.gif

post #38 of 73
Quote:

I'm saying that Android users are so poor that they open Gmail accounts so that they can eat the spam.

1wink.gif

See now that's funny.
post #39 of 73
Quote:

1wink.gif

What spam?  My gmail account, which I've had since October 2004, does not get spam.  I don't get emails from people I don't know, and I don't get emails from companies with whom I've never done business.

On my S4 (personal device), the only ads I see are in free apps I have loaded.  They are the same free apps that I've also loaded on my iPhone 5 (provided by my employer).  Surprise surprise, those same apps on the iPhone also display ads.

What spam are you talking about?  Having to eat the real spam meat because Android users can't afford to buy better food? 

post #40 of 73

I'm saying that Android users are so poor that, at Christmas, they watch YouTube videos of Apple users opening up their presents.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Twitter heat map shows iPhone use by the affluent, Android by the poor