or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung shows off range of new Android phones, hedges bets with Windows 8 devices

Samsung shows off range of new Android phones, hedges bets with Windows 8 devices

post #1 of 71
Samsung on Thursday showed of a range of new devices for both Microsoft?s Windows 8 and Google?s Android platforms, though the South Korean giant?s choices appear to show that it is very much hedging its bets when it comes to Microsoft?s newest operating system.

samsung

Samsung unveiled a total of nine new devices on Thursday: four in its Android-powered Galaxy line, and five in its Windows 8-powered Ativ line. With the exception of one device, the Galaxy products were all expansions on the company?s Galaxy S4 flagship handset. All of the Galaxy devices bore the Galaxy S4 brand, though most had very different specifications from Samsung?s recently released ?life companion.?

The Android devices Samsung introduced on Thursday include the photography-centric Galaxy S4 Zoom, which packs a 10x optical zoom; the Galaxy S4 Active, which is waterproof and dust-proof; and the Galaxy S4 mini, which sports the same design as Samsung's recently revealed flagship handset, but in a smaller package and with scaled-down specs.

Samsung also revealed a new, Android-powered camera with an interchangeable lens. The 4G LTE-capable Galaxy NX runs Android 4.2.2 "Jelly Bean" on a 4.3-inch touchscreen display, and it is the successor to the Galaxy Camera, which the South Korean tech giant introduced just last year. Unlike the Galaxy Camera, though, the Galaxy NX can attach to more than a dozen interchangeable lenses Samsung has already introduced for its NX line of mirrorless cameras.

On the Windows end, Samsung's presentation was geared toward the notebook and tablet segment. Headlining the Windows segment was the Ativ Q, an 8.2mm thick Windows tablet that weighs just 1.2 pounds. That device, which folds open to reveal a slim keyboard, runs both Windows 8 and Android 4.2.2 on an unspecified Haswell processor from Intel.

Also notable about the Ativ Q: its screen resolution. The 13.3-inch convertible device packs a resolution of 3200x1800.

Samsung also showed off an Intel Atom-powered Ativ Tab 3, a 10.1-inch device similar to the company's line of Galaxy Tab devices. Thursday also saw the debut of the Ativ One 5 Style, an all-in-one desktop PC running Windows 8 on a 1920x1080 touchscreen.

Two notebooks rounded out Samsung's presentation, the Ativ Book 9 Plus and the Ativ Book 9 Lite. The Plus features a 13.3-inch 3200x1800 qHD+ multitouch display with an Intel Core i5 or Core i7 Hawell processor, giving it up to 12 hours of battery life. The Lite has the same size display, but it outputs at 1366x768 and features an AMD A6 quad-core chip.

Notably absent from the presentation were any smartphones running Microsoft's Windows Phone 8 OS. Samsung does manufacture devices on Microsoft's phone platform, but the OS's slow rate of adoption was highlighted by the fact that Samsung devoted no time to the OS.

Also absent was Windows RT, the ARM-targeted variant of Windows, which Microsoft unveiled at the same time as Windows 8. Windows RT has struggled even more than Windows 8, though, due to its being comparatively underpowered and somewhat confusing to consumers. Samsung already nixed one device that was supposed to run the platform, and a Samsung rep on stage Thursday made sure to point out that the Windows devices the company was showing off were running the "full Windows, not Windows RT."
post #2 of 71
Samsung clearly takes great pride and care in every product it makes, based on the sheer amount that it can shit out at any given time.
post #3 of 71
Sounds like Windows RT is officially DOA
post #4 of 71
1. No wonder this their country is divided in North and South; their database with device names became too large and had to be split.

2. Is that an iMac in that picture?
post #5 of 71

I wonder what is the market for an 4G LTE camera running Android. 

post #6 of 71

Well, this could explain them cutting component orders, if they are using different components in different variations of the S4.

post #7 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

I wonder what is the market for an 4G LTE camera running Android. 

Or any 4G LTE camera in general.

post #8 of 71
Shot gun approach. Introducing the Galaxy S XXS for little people, Galaxy S XXXL for giants, and the Galaxy S IVXLCM for Roman numeral lovers.
post #9 of 71
Their laser like focus on quality products is impressive. ... oh wait a minute
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #10 of 71
APPLEinsider?
post #11 of 71
Apple should make a Mac-tablet (400 to 600 g).
post #12 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

They took an iMac, gutted it, made it into a PC, and then had to make the stand bigger to handle all the extra weight.

post #13 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

Good earth, why?

Are you the poster that's always clammoring for this? It will never, ever, happen.
post #14 of 71

Smells like "losing".

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #15 of 71
I doubt we will be seeing 10 hour battery life in that 13.3 inch Atvi Q.
post #16 of 71

Android fans are always raving about how you should buy android devices... but I see no compelling reasons here.  Ok, they made a bunch of devices that are mildly differentiated. 

Phone with a 10x zoom?  Sorry, I have a real camera.   The phone camera is for convenience.  I don't want a bulky odd shaped phone just for the occasional photo. 

I saw a commercial where a guy was watching a video and kept nodding off and the video would pause when he nodded off.  Oh, gee, that's a life changer there!

Personally, I'm more creeped out at the idea of my phone videotaping me constantly.... in this day and age of NSA data collection, etc. 

So, what's the point? 

post #17 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessi View Post

Android fans are always raving about how you should buy android devices... but I see no compelling reasons here.  Ok, they made a bunch of devices that are mildly differentiated. 

Phone with a 10x zoom?  Sorry, I have a real camera.   The phone camera is for convenience.  I don't want a bulky odd shaped phone just for the occasional photo. 

I saw a commercial where a guy was watching a video and kept nodding off and the video would pause when he nodded off.  Oh, gee, that's a life changer there!

Personally, I'm more creeped out at the idea of my phone videotaping me constantly.... in this day and age of NSA data collection, etc. 

So, what's the point? 

Android phones are becoming the new "feature phones".

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #18 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

No kidding. That picture looks like an Apple ad. Scratch, scratch, scratch... now just scibble in "Samsung" and viola!

post #19 of 71
Quote:

How about a 15" iPad running a successor to iOS? OS X will NEVER work on a touchscreen.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #20 of 71

Wrong specifications. Check out:

Samsung unveils super hi-resolution ATIV Q and ultra-light ATIV Tab 3 Windows 8 tablets

http://www.wpcentral.com/comment/432547

post #21 of 71
Quote:

Samsung unveils super hi-resolution ATIV Q and ultra-light ATIV Tab 3 Windows 8 tablets

9 hours of battery.
Running Windows 8.
At that resolution.
On an Intel i5.
In a tablet.

Also, lol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.gif

There's a reason Apple put the keyboard in the back 20 years ago, guys. But I guess since it's a "tablet" and not a real laptop you don't have to follow ergonomic principles.
Edited by Tallest Skil - 6/20/13 at 3:29pm

post #22 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Samsung clearly takes great pride and care in every product it makes, based on the sheer amount that it can shit out at any given time.
Its actually becoming comical now, Like Apple's WWDC video said, people confuse abundance with choice. I wonder what all the environmentally conscious tech geeks think about Samsung flooding the planet with all these different product variations. Talk about a waste of resources.
post #23 of 71
Quote:
The Plus features a 13.3-inch 3200x1800 qHD+ multitouch display with an Intel Core i5 or Core i7 Hawell processor, giving it up to 12 hours of battery life.

How is this getting 12 hours battery life? And if it really is then where is the retina displays on the Airs? Pr does that have nothing to do with battery life but Apple wanting to up sell you to the Pro?
post #24 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Android devices Samsung introduced on Thursday include the photography-centric Galaxy S4 Zoom, which packs a 10x optical zoom; the Galaxy S4 Active, which is waterproof and dust-proof; .. 

Hey, thanks for the heads up.

That Galaxy S4 Active looks interesting.   Reviewers are saying it has a more substantial feeling case, an LCD screen instead of AMOLED, and it's waterproof to 3 feet for up to 30 minutes.  Yet it's still slim.

If Apple made a waterproof model, I bet it'd sell like hotcakes.  (Yeah, I know you can get a case.  Not the same thing.)

post #25 of 71
Samsung... Never misses on promoting themselves as the lowest life company in tech world!
Copy... Make false claims, bribe and Orchestrate bs against competition! Copy.... Copy...copy... Manipulate media.. Copy copy...
The company reflects exactly what the ceo is.. A crook!
post #26 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How is this getting 12 hours battery life? And if it really is then where is the retina displays on the Airs? Pr does that have nothing to do with battery life but Apple wanting to up sell you to the Pro?

Because, amongst other things its real weight is 1.29kg (2.8lb) and not 1.2lb like this article claims.

Can anyone fix the article?

Edit: this still makes it lighter than the 13" MacBook air, but at least it's more plausible, and I bet that you can only get 12 hours in Android mode.

Edited by VL-Tone - 6/20/13 at 4:24pm
post #27 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

Because, amongst other things its real weight is 1.29kg (2.8lb) and not 1.2lb like this article claims.

Can anyone fix the article?

Edit: this still makes it lighter than the 13" MacBook air, but at least it's more plausible, and I bet that you can only get 12 hours in Android mode.

Ok so it weighs less than the 13" air.  IF it gets 12 hrs battery life then how do the airs not have retina displays?  Unless the price will be similar to the 13" Pro?

post #28 of 71
Quote:

Ok so it weighs less than the 13" air.  IF it gets 12 hrs battery life then how do the airs not have retina displays?  Unless the price will be similar to the 13" Pro?

How do you know that it will be 12 hours of real-world usage of desktop apps on Windows? Apple is usually relatively spot on with their battery life estimates, while many other companies are known to exaggerate it.

Beside I just found an article that says that Samsung claimed 9 hours or battery life on the Ativ Q, not 12.

http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/465528/samsung_ativ_q_tablet_runs_both_windows_8_android_jelly_bean/

Edit: searched around the web, and most news site talk about 9 hours, and only a few say 12 hours. The Samsung press release does not even mention the battery life of the Q, while they do brag about the 10 hours on the Tab 3.

Edited by VL-Tone - 6/20/13 at 4:41pm
post #29 of 71
Quote:

How do you know that it will be 12 hours of real-world usage of desktop apps on Windows? Apple is usually relatively spot on with their battery life estimates, while many other companies are known to exaggerate it.

Beside I just found an article that says that Samsung claimed 9 hours or battery life on the Ativ Q, not 12.

http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/465528/samsung_ativ_q_tablet_runs_both_windows_8_android_jelly_bean/

Edit: searched around the web, and most news site talk about 9 hours, and only a few say 12 hours. The Samsung press release does not even mention the battery life of the Q, while they do brag about the 10 hours on the Tab 3.
I don't. I'm going off the article here. Interesting that they didn't give any prices.
post #30 of 71
Quote:

I don't. I'm going off the article here. Interesting that they didn't give any prices.

Yeah sorry I should've said "how do WE know..."

Anyway I got confused by the article and the confusing Samung names. The claimed 12 hours battery life is for the Ativ Book 9 lite, not the Ativ Q.

Edit: The Ativ Book 9 lite is a MacBook clone that doesn't run Android, and it's not that "lite", it weights 1.44kg, which is around 3.2 pounds.

It's heavier than the air, but lighter than the current 13" retina MBP (1.62kg), but remember that those haven't been upgraded with Haswell CPUs. Also, previous similar models in the Ativ Book series were costing around $1900.

Edited by VL-Tone - 6/20/13 at 5:02pm
post #31 of 71

At this rate, Samsung only has to sell one of each product to outsell Apple in total.

post #32 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
The Plus features a 13.3-inch 3200x1800 qHD+ multitouch display with an Intel Core i5 or Core i7 Hawell processor, giving it up to 12 hours of battery life. The Lite has the same size display, but it outputs at 1366x768 and features an AMD A6 quad-core chip.

Is the Hawell processor better than Haswell?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #33 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

APPLEinsider?

SecretlyObsessedWithSamsungInsider.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #34 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Hey, thanks for the heads up.

That Galaxy S4 Active looks interesting.   Reviewers are saying it has a more substantial feeling case, an LCD screen instead of AMOLED, and it's waterproof to 3 feet for up to 30 minutes.  Yet it's still slim.

If Apple made a waterproof model, I bet it'd sell like hotcakes.  (Yeah, I know you can get a case.  Not the same thing.)

I could imagine iWatch to be waterproof, but having waterproof smartphone is device for divers only. but even they should stick to diver tasks. everything else is sick.

post #35 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

SecretlyObsessedWithSamsungInsider.

One minute people are bitching that too much information is being leaked about Apple products; the next minute there is not enough Apple news so AI has to fill up the space with competitor information... and then, of course, there is bitching about that.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #36 of 71

In any case, this shotgun approach, as @jungmark so nicely pointed out just shows the have no clue and they are in the panic, because orders are crunching and they are just trying to put up together still decent total figures. While they fired practically all their ammo, Apple is coming out with only second additional model yet in the middle of market saturation.....Samsung will be hit heavily.

post #37 of 71
What if I want a mini galaxy phone that is waterproof? Can I combine multiple things together, a sort of "build your own phone - select your hardware and software"?
post #38 of 71
Quote:

Anyway I got confused by the article and the confusing Samung names. The claimed 12 hours battery life is for the Ativ Book 9 lite, not the Ativ Q.

I'm sure battery life is just 'fine'.
post #39 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

What if I want a mini galaxy phone that is waterproof? Can I combine multiple things together, a sort of "build your own phone - select your hardware and software"?

why stop here? why not configuring graphics, water-cooled heatsinks, external keyboards, hey, what the hell, why not keyboard, modems and antenna, too. after all, user knows the best and it is very profitable for a manufacturer to offer such "service" :)  

you made a good point here! 

post #40 of 71
Ativ Q, an 8.2mm thick Windows tablet that weighs just 1.2 pounds.
That is wrong. That is the ATIV Tab 3.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung shows off range of new Android phones, hedges bets with Windows 8 devices