or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung shows off range of new Android phones, hedges bets with Windows 8 devices

Samsung shows off range of new Android phones, hedges bets with Windows 8 devices - Page 2

post #41 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Good earth, why?

Are you the poster that's always clammoring for this? It will never, ever, happen.

You do not get it. How about this?:

Apple should make a light Mac (400 to 600 g).

Hint: the ultimate Keynote and PowerPoint presentation tool.

post #42 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

For Keynote people use:

PowerPoint goes here:

Edited by PhilBoogie - 6/20/13 at 11:19pm
post #43 of 71
*yawn*

Did they really need a keynote to debut these?
post #44 of 71

Samsung shows off range of new Android phones, hedges bets with Windows 8 dev...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

I wonder what is the market for an 4G LTE camera running Android. 

You either reduce the resolution of the photo to make editing and uploading it faster (defeating the purpose of a high-end camera) or burn through your data and battery life uploading such high-res photos.

However I see it, none of its features seem to complement each other well, and seem to have been added just to check off a list.
post #45 of 71

Hold off purchasing, people!

The 'quicker' and 'faster' versions of these devices should be available next week:

http://www.redmondpie.com/samsung-ceo-faster-galaxy-s4-being-prepped-for-launch/

post #46 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

Apple is usually relatively spot on with their battery life estimates, while many other companies are known to exaggerate it.

All companies have this problem, Apple as well. Rule of thumb is pretty much divide the advertised time in half. Maybe the new Intel chips will change this, I don't know. My Macbook Air gets almost 3 hours of battery, If I dim the screen and just read an eBook I can squeeze out a little more but I have never gotten anywhere near the advertised time. The tablets seem to be pretty close to their advertised time though, my iPad get's about 8 hours, Thinkpad Tablet II is also 8 hours, the only device I have ever owned with a single battery that got over 10 hours was my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7, 12 hours.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #47 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessi View Post

I saw a commercial where a guy was watching a video and kept nodding off and the video would pause when he nodded off.  Oh, gee, that's a life changer there!

Wonderful!! So not only does watching video hog your battery life, you now have a motion sensor that remains active for the length of the video on the outside chance that you may nod off and the video should be paused automatically. Twice the battery drain for a 1% gain in "functionality"!

Does this officially make rewind button passé now?

Edited by BestKeptSecret - 6/21/13 at 2:20am
post #48 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

Does this officially make rewind button passé now?

Touché
post #49 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

For Keynote people use:

PowerPoint goes here:

Nope. Unfortunately that is not true, It does not work. I am talking about presentations with audio, video, animations, transitions, backgrounds, special fonts, colors, frames, tables, pictures, special formatting (as with Word and Excel), etc. Get the facts:

1. Keynote excels on some features, but PowerPoint excels on others. You may need one or the other.

1. Keynote presentations made on Mac are not fully compatible with iOS.

2. PowerPoint presentations made on Mac are not fully compatible with iOS.

3. There are even incompatibilities on Keynote from one Mac to other Mac, even with the same OS version.

4. There are even incompatibilities on PowerPoint from one Mac to other Mac; or from one PC to other PC, even with the same OS version.

5. Of course, there are also incompatibilities between Mac and Windows, but using Microsoft Office on Mac is the best way to reduce incompatibilities. To be compatible with 99% of the world, you need PowerPoint, Word and Excel.

Sorry, that is the truth, like it or not. Do not get me wrong. I hate M$ products (that is why I use a Mac!), but must use Office (Word, PowerPoint and Excel) because of all that.

And that is why a pocketable Mac (400 to 600 g) would be the best presentation tool for people who create presentations on a Desktop Mac and then use such presentation anywhere, without having to carry a heavy laptop. Yes, even the MacBook Air 11-inch is too large and heavy for what is possible now with the new Intel microprocessors. And both Acer (Iconia W3) and Samsung (ATIV Tab 3) have proved that it is possible to make such kind of computer that has been a dream for decades...

Because the iPad is for joy, but the Mac is for joy and work.

Edited by AppeX - 6/21/13 at 2:40am
post #50 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by trd105 View Post

Or any 4G LTE camera in general.

on the-gadgeteer.com Julie said her Samsung galaxy camera took about 30 seconds from switch on to being ready to take a photo, really handy for snapping the kids, I presume this new LTE model is quicker.
post #51 of 71

These guys just throw devices at the wall and see what sticks. That's not a strategy, it's an algorithm.

post #52 of 71
Quote:

You do not get it. How about this?:
Apple should make a light Mac (400 to 600 g).

That's what the MBA is for.
post #53 of 71
Quote:

I wonder what is the market for an 4G LTE camera running Android. 

Reporters?  Wedding photographers?  (Let someone back at home base realtime edit the incoming photos and have a book ready by the end of reception, to hand out.)

I have several friends who bought those EyeFi camera SD cards simply because it would upload their pictures automatically whenever they got near a hotspot.  They'd love an LTE version.

Not every product in the world needs to sell in the hundreds of millions.   Heck, look at Apple TV.  It's been just a "hobby" for years.

Quote:

I saw a commercial where a guy was watching a video and kept nodding off and the video would pause when he nodded off.  Oh, gee, that's a life changer there!

The better commercial for that feature was the Dad changing a diaper for the first time, while watching an instructional video he found.   He'd look at a step, then do it (while the video automatically paused), then look back at the video which triggered the next step, and so forth.

Quote:
Personally, I'm more creeped out at the idea of my phone videotaping me constantly.... in this day and age of NSA data collection, etc. 

It doesn't videotape you.  It just constantly watches for your face.  Apple has filed for similar patents, for similar purposes.

post #54 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Reporters?  Wedding photographers?  (Let someone back at home base realtime edit the incoming photos and have a book ready by the end of reception, to hand out.)

I have several friends who bought those EyeFi camera SD cards simply because it would upload their pictures automatically whenever they got near a hotspot.  They'd love an LTE version.

Not every product in the world needs to sell in the hundreds of millions.   Heck, look at Apple TV.  It's been just a "hobby" for years.

The better commercial for that feature was the Dad changing a diaper for the first time, while watching an instructional video he found.   He'd look at a step, then do it (while the video automatically paused), then look back at the video which triggered the next step, and so forth.

It doesn't videotape you.  It just constantly watches for your face.  Apple has filed for similar patents, for similar purposes.

Professional photogs use SLR cameras.

It constantly watches your face uses battery too. Who is to say some software can't be loaded to activate the recording without you knowing. Apple patents a lot of things they don't use.
post #55 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How about a 15" iPad running a successor to iOS? OS X will NEVER work on a touchscreen.

You are like the negative version of Digitimes. They also make stuff up and stand by it like it's fact. The only difference is that they insist that things will be added but you insist they won't.
post #56 of 71

Samsung shows off range of new Android phones, hedges bets with Windows 8 dev...

Say, isn't that the OS Tiger wallpaper those computers are sporting?
post #57 of 71
Quote:

Get the facts:

1-5 (6)

I know, and get what you mean. And when all compatibility fails, I simply export my Keynote as a QT movie. Couldn't be simpler, and gets the point across.
Quote:
Because the iPad is for joy, but the Mac is for joy and work.

I'd say the iPad is most definitely used for work as well. But don't take my word for it, just read a story on the Internet about the iPad. Any story, really.
post #58 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

It constantly watches your face uses battery too. Who is to say some software can't be loaded to activate the recording without you knowing. Apple patents a lot of things they don't use.

There's a story out today about a blind Chinese dissident at NYU whose iPhone and iPad were reportedly loaded with hidden tracking software and spyware.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #59 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

There's a story out today about a blind Chinese dissident at NYU whose iPhone and iPad were reportedly loaded with hidden tracking software and spyware.

It was probably planted there by his dog, the fury little guy probably got tired of loosing his master every time he went for a pee break.
post #60 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

You are like the negative version of Digitimes. They also make stuff up and stand by it like it's fact. The only difference is that they insist that things will be added but you insist they won't.
Hey, don't be mean to Tallest, I think your mouth is getting too big for your muzzle.
post #61 of 71
Quote:

Personally, I'm more creeped out at the idea of my phone videotaping me constantly.... in this day and age of NSA data collection, etc. 

Hmmm, I think I'm going to start showering with my iPad, maybe I can get a date. Ring, ring, "hello", "uuuh, you don't know me but I think you should get that mole on your right breast looked at", "excuse me".
post #62 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

The only difference is that they insist that things will be added but you insist they won't.

So the past three years of Apple's actual actions haven't proven to you that they're not going to make a touchscreen OS X device? 1oyvey.gif

Rule of thumb with this sort of post: you have to actually be on the right side of the argument for it to be effective.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
post #63 of 71
I really like the idea of a tablet that runs windows and android - now I can keep all my malware on the one device.
post #64 of 71
Quote:

Apple should make a Mac-tablet (400 to 600 g).
However I want this, it's not going to work with apple, however now a 15 inch IOS tablet upper class's (vs regular) would make since)

If it were released this year we look at a line of
Ipad mini
High res non retina 7.9
A6
16 gb-$330
32 gb-$430
64 gb-$530
128gb-$630
10 hour web

Regular IPad
Retina 9.7 inch
A7(x)
32 gb-$500
63 gb-$600
138gb-$700
12 hour web

Ipad 15 inch
Retina 15.4 inch
A7(X)
64 gb-$1000
128gb-$1100
256gb-$1200
post #65 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

I do see some good use of EyeFi products and other wireless technology for photographer.  What I questioned is bundling an semi-pro SLR camera with an Android Phone, I'm sure most professional photographer will avoid those kinds of gadgets at all cost, for everybody else there is many more cheaper and subsidized alternative. 

Edited by BigMac2 - 6/25/13 at 12:32pm
post #66 of 71
Quote:

1. Keynote excels on some features, but PowerPoint excels on others. You may need one or the other.

Beside being the de facto formats for sending stupid joke to your co-worker, name me one thing of which PowerPoint excels?

post #67 of 71
Quote:

Beside being the de facto formats for sending stupid joke to your co-worker, name me one thing of which PowerPoint excels?

post #68 of 71
Quote:

Good one,

I can't stand PowerPoint for still using print units over pixel perfect units when nobody print their slides on acetate anymore, everything looks blurry on screen.

Edited by BigMac2 - 6/25/13 at 12:33pm
post #69 of 71
Quote:

I can't stand when nobody print their slides anymore, PowerPoint is still using print units over pixel perfect units. Everything looks blurry.

Indeed, these hand-outs are pretty crappy. In my experience, and I've seen my share of PP presentations, the slides beamed, sometimes even just on a wall, look awful as well. The person creating the PP never seem to test it on the big screen themselves.

I had to do a presentation myself one time, couldn't take in a MacBook, so used a Wintel, and mainly expressed myself with pictures, hardly any words. And when I did add some text, I made it so large people all the way in the back of the room could read it. And I made a statement to boot.
post #70 of 71
Quote:

Indeed, these hand-outs are pretty crappy. In my experience, and I've seen my share of PP presentations, the slides beamed, sometimes even just on a wall, look awful as well. The person creating the PP never seem to test it on the big screen themselves.

I had to do a presentation myself one time, couldn't take in a MacBook, so used a Wintel, and mainly expressed myself with pictures, hardly any words. And when I did add some text, I made it so large people all the way in the back of the room could read it. And I made a statement to boot.

According to Guy "Evangelist" Kawasaki the rule of thumb for fonts size in a PowerPoint presentation is: the oldest person in your audience divide it by two:

http://blog.guykawasaki.com/2005/12/the_102030_rule.html

post #71 of 71
Quote:

According to Guy "Evangelist" Kawasaki the rule of thumb for fonts size in a PowerPoint presentation is: the oldest person in your audience divide it by two:

http://blog.guykawasaki.com/2005/12/the_102030_rule.html

Too funny! And sad, because I couldn't agree more.

Thanks!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung shows off range of new Android phones, hedges bets with Windows 8 devices