or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Cable providers still leery of Apple TV, some refuse to authenticate 'HBO Go' app
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cable providers still leery of Apple TV, some refuse to authenticate 'HBO Go' app - Page 2

post #41 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The internet should be ubiquitous like electricity and water, supplied by new utilities with competition nation wide not tied to cable and phone line providers from the last century.

That's a farce, electricity and water are still provided by the same utilities, no new reservoirs were built nor electric plants. There may be new companies maintaining the wires from the nearest substation to your house but they're really just really reselling you the same electricity you've always had.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #42 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

So, it seems you're okay with the way things are, I get it, ya' apologist. ;-)

Who's talking about another company undercutting anyone? I understand the investment that went into laying those cables (you do understand who actually did the physical digging, right?), and I'm sure when we find Mr. Burns we'll have figured out a way to reimburse him appropriately. But until that time, why keep coming up with reasons to justify the past decisions, unless you agree that we should never revisit them or change our minds?

*****

Stop coming up with reasons to stay the same, unless you're happy with censorship. If you're happy with the way things are, and would suffer no harm in changing things, why stand in the way, unless *you* are the problem...

I'm a realist not an apologist, big difference. We can sit here and wax poetic on how things should be but I look at the realities of things. I'm not a baker, I don't sugarcoat things. I don't have the answers but I'll tell that the telcos and cable companies aren't going away anytime soon. I'm one of the lucky ones, I have a choice between FiOS, and Cablevision whereas many don't have a choice. Verizon has stopped expanding FiOS to new areas. They should either be forced to build it out in their entire footprint or allow someone else to do it.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #43 of 78

You know if Google, Apple and Microsoft formed an new cooperative effort to provide free WiFi on every city street with a unified log in so that it could be managed they could convince cities to adopt that protocol and then all Internet would be free and ubiquitous in the cities. In rural areas they would have to pay. For the rural population it would be no different than what they have now but the city dwellers would enjoy hassle free connections to the Internet no matter where they are. In the car, at home or at work, all free, paid by the Internet companies who will sell you ads and devices to make it worth it for them.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #44 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

They took the expense to run those cables and spend X amount of dollars a year to maintain it. The pipes may be dumb but they're damn expensive. I don't know about you but I'd be dammed to allow another company that's going to undercut me onto the network I've spent billions to build.

Not your network - alternative networks. Especially in this day and age of fiber based systems do we permit only one company to supply a service like net access? In most locals the cable companies are a huge rip off due in part to the monopolies they maintain in tandem with the local governments. I have more choices when it comes to garbage collection than I do network access, so where is the rational there?

The only other real alternative to competition is to set up public utilities but those come with their own issues.
post #45 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Not your network - alternative networks. Especially in this day and age of fiber based systems do we permit only one company to supply a service like net access? In most locals the cable companies are a huge rip off due in part to the monopolies they maintain in tandem with the local governments. I have more choices when it comes to garbage collection than I do network access, so where is the rational there?

The only other real alternative to competition is to set up public utilities but those come with their own issues.

One thread it's less government and in another it's more government.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #46 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

I think what scares traditional, cable providers the most is LTE evolving to bandwidth levels coupled with multicasting to virtually level the laying field. Verizon, Sprint, AT&T (U.S. examples on a .com forum) are the future.

Why would LTE scare them if in the next few years the majority of people will have capped data plans? LTE is only wireless to the cell site then it goes over telco wires to the backbone which are run by AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and others. How can dinosaurs be the future?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #47 of 78
I watched an episode of deadwood last night. Never seen it before. HBO go is incredible- and now that its in a great interactive set-top box format- it's even better.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #48 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

My AppleTV is no more than an adjunct to my cable/TiVo combination that is the workhorse of my home entertainment. Since I already get HBO and much more directly, HBO2Go is only a minor convenience. We already have programmed what we want to see on TiVo so it's always there when we want it. Also, the ATV remote is a joke. It is way too easy to hit the select button in the middle when trying to hit the ring around it. Hard to believe Steve ever used that thing on a regular basis. He'd have thrown it against the wall.
Two things:
1- you don't need to use HBO Go. But if you want to watch the sopranos, the wire, or a plethora of phenomenal documentaries- HBO Go is substantially better than on demand with whatever provider you have.

2- You actually use the remote? Why? You can't control volume on it.
Why people don't use universal remotes is beyond me...

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #49 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


I'm a realist not an apologist, big difference. We can sit here and wax poetic on how things should be but I look at the realities of things. I'm not a baker, I don't sugarcoat things. I don't have the answers but I'll tell that the telcos and cable companies aren't going away anytime soon. I'm one of the lucky ones, I have a choice between FiOS, and Cablevision whereas many don't have a choice. Verizon has stopped expanding FiOS to new areas. They should either be forced to build it out in their entire footprint or allow someone else to do it.

 

If you don't have the answers, then why are you commenting or better yet, why are you answering the questions? What I see is a series of historical explanations for the way things are.

 

The topics in this thread are real problems, and I'm not attacking you here please don't see it that way, but there are two issues: 1) you don't agree there is a problem, or 2) you agree there is a problem. Which are you?

 

If someone agrees there is a problem yet has no solutions, I say to them, "shut up." That's not to you, and I'd be sorry to be so blunt (I'm making a point here), but as my best managers in my career told me (which they learned from the experts), "stop bringing me problems, bring me solutions."

 

If you identify a problem yet have no solution, find one. There's nothing worse than someone who either complains about, without a solution, or ignores a problem entirely - that's not how to make them go away.

 

Or you agree there is a problem and you don't believe there are any solutions better than those that are currently in existence. This is the apologist, and the cloak that apologists love to wear is that of 'the realist'. There is no realist, that is merely a euphemism for an apologist.

 

The past is the past, and there are reasons things happened in the past. I'm not interested in that at all, but what I am interested in is fixing today's problems. If in my (and our, who are interested in) fixing them you don't suffer in any way personally, why would you stand in our way?


Edited by williamlondon - 6/20/13 at 6:55pm
post #50 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

How can dinosaurs be the future?

Ask the oil companies. Seems to work for them. They even get government subsidies to help curb the adoption of electric vehicles. Now big oil wants to get into natural gas as that is the trend for electric power plats. Same deal with the cable TV companies. They got into the Internet at the first sign that it wasn't going to be another fad like CB radio and that is what brought us to the situation we have now where they control how we access the Internet.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #51 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

Exactly! One connection to the house, just one, public owned and let's figure out a way to ensure it's the fastest possible connection and it covers everyone everywhere regardless. This isn't technologically impossible, and what I find weird is the thought that it isn't impossible technologically speaking (that should be the barrier to making it happen, not that we can't "afford" it) - the fact we can do this blows my mind, it's that we can't figure out a way to make it happen even though we have everything we need, we have the resources (human and natural), the knowledge...

What is our problem?

One reason- Hollywood hasn't supported it yet.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #52 of 78

The answer could come in the form or wireless, over the power lines, or something we don't even know about yet. Unfortunately most cities and states don't have the freedom to do what Chattanooga was able to do and offer the fastest internet in the country while also keeping the prices very affordable to the end user. They also are able to restore power to homes in outages in seconds instead of hours or days thanks to their smart grid. I would love for my city to copy this model. 

 

http://chattanoogagig.com

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply
post #53 of 78
Translation: "Cable Providers Mistreat Customers in Attempt to Retain Them."
post #54 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Why would LTE scare them if in the next few years the majority of people will have capped data plans? LTE is only wireless to the cell site then it goes over telco wires to the backbone which are run by AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and others. How can dinosaurs be the future?

Because the obstacle to providing more competition in existing markets is trenching cable to each home.

Because LTE will be 500Mbps per band.

Because nothing says the home media gateway won't be an LTE endpoint.

Because multicast IPv6 over a wireless packet network is a great way to prevent millions of independant and buffered streams of the same content.

Because LTE is an efficient and less expensive means to provide service to rural areas.

People clamoring for wifi everywhere- what if LTE is the new Wifi?

I don't see the coax providers being nimble enough to move to that space.

Just my thoughts.

Edit: And capped LTE data plans are for mobile devices with any/any internet access. Capacity planning is much different for essential fixed service in a home.
Edited by ChristophB - 6/20/13 at 7:17pm
post #55 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

If you don't have the answers, then why are you commenting or better yet, why are you answering the questions? What I see is a series of historical explanations for the way things are.

The topics in this thread are real problems, and I'm not attacking you here please don't see it that way, but there are two issues: 1) you don't agree there is a problem, or 2) you agree there is a problem. Which are you?

If someone agrees there is a problem yet has no solutions, I say to them, "shut up." That's not to you, and I'd be sorry to be so blunt (I'm making a point here), but as my best managers in my career told me (which they learned from the experts), "stop bringing me problems, bring me solutions."

If you identify a problem yet have no solution, find one. There's nothing worse than someone who either complains about, without a solution, or ignores a problem entirely - that's not how to make them go away.

Or you agree there is a problem and you don't believe there are any solutions better than those that are currently in existence. This is the apologist, and the cloak that apologists love to wear is that of 'the realist'. There is no realist, that is merely a euphemism for an apologist.

The past is the past, and there are reasons things happened in the past. I'm not interested in that at all, but what I am interested in is fixing today's problems. If in my (and our, who are interested in) fixing them you don't suffer in any way personally, why would you stand in our way?

I agree that there's a problem but picking up pitchforks and torches and yelling "death to the cable companies" isn't the solution. Unfortunately today's problems won't get fixed today, tomorrow nor anytime soon, there's a lot of players making a lot of money for things to change plus it took the telcos and cable companies decades to get where they are and they're not going to change overnight but the change has begun.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #56 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


So you want to go back to this?

What do you mean 'go back to this'?  Last time I was on the east coast, that is exactly what it looked like!

post #57 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

What do you mean 'go back to this'?  Last time I was on the east coast, that is exactly what it looked like!

Lol I couldn't find one of the really old pics with about 5 times the amount of wires on it.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #58 of 78
Keep cutting the STBs, the cable companies we will get the message sooner or later.
post #59 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Keep cutting the STBs, the cable companies we will get the message sooner or later.


What message would that be? To allow customers to get and app and cut the cord?

post #60 of 78
I wonder if Apple and HBO should just go around cable...and charge a flat monthly rate for HBO?
post #61 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I wonder if Apple and HBO should just go around cable...and charge a flat monthly rate for HBO?

HBO wouldn't do that because it's owned by Time Warner
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #62 of 78
That's the one thing I hate about being stationed in the US everything is to damn expensive. I am stationed in South Korea I pay 10 dollars a month for my Internet and my Internet is fiber optic, and I love my Apple TV just mad I can't view HULU over here
post #63 of 78
You guys need to all cut the cord now. That's the only way they'll get the message.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #64 of 78
Had to argue with Fios to get my set top
Box finally removed. They actually tried lying to me and saying my Internet wouldn't work if I got rid of it. Lol.

No more cable here. At all. There is nothing of value on television. AppleTV provides access to Netflix which is all my son needs, and Hulu (for those nauseating Fox programs the wife just can't let go of).

I don't watch TV. It's for idiots. I jest, some rare programming and a few movies are very good...but it should be kept to a minimum. And mindless live tv access is totally and completely unnecessary.
post #65 of 78

I wonder if the HBO story is related to the Netflix story? It sounds like the cable & internet providers don't want streaming video clogging up their pipes, having customers actually use the bandwidth & bits they're paying for. The pipe providers make more off cable than internet, so they want to make using the internet less convenient.

 

- Jasen.

post #66 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Had to argue with Fios to get my set top
Box finally removed. They actually tried lying to me and saying my Internet wouldn't work if I got rid of it. Lol.

No more cable here. At all. There is nothing of value on television. AppleTV provides access to Netflix which is all my son needs, and Hulu (for those nauseating Fox programs the wife just can't let go of).

I don't watch TV. It's for idiots. I jest, some rare programming and a few movies are very good...but it should be kept to a minimum. And mindless live tv access is totally and completely unnecessary.

The average FiOS installation costs approximately $2000 so of course they're going to try to keep you on a higher priced plan. They only just started turning a profit since they started the FiOS rollout.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #67 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

 

Exactly! One connection to the house, just one, public owned and let's figure out a way to ensure it's the fastest possible connection and it covers everyone everywhere regardless. This isn't technologically impossible, and what I find weird is the thought that it isn't impossible technologically speaking (that should be the barrier to making it happen, not that we can't "afford" it) - the fact we can do this blows my mind, it's that we can't figure out a way to make it happen even though we have everything we need, we have the resources (human and natural), the knowledge...

 

What is our problem?

What is our problem?

 

Capitalism and Greed.

post #68 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

What is our problem?

Capitalism and Greed.

Yet here are people asking for a government network, sounds like socialism to me.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #69 of 78
Fine, let's pay HBO and others directly for access to their content and bypass the cable "providers"
post #70 of 78
Okay how is this any different than IP phone, The cable operator were throttling connection to Vontage at one time and they got their hands slap by the FTC and told the operators that can not block or limit your access to other service like IP phone. I am not sure how a service provider can refuse to authenticate a service like HBO2go especially if you do not subscribe to their video service it not like they are loosing you business since you do not have it on the first place.

It will be interesting to see what happens with this.
post #71 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The internet should be ubiquitous like electricity and water, supplied by new utilities with competition nation wide not tied to cable and phone line providers from the last century.

 

I completely agree. Municipal fiber-to-home networks have become increasingly popular, but I just wish they would be adopted at a faster pace.

post #72 of 78

I just wish HBO ESPN and other would just sell their content over the internet. I don't want to pay for cable, just to pay for HBO. 

post #73 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

I just wish HBO ESPN and other would just sell their content over the internet. I don't want to pay for cable, just to pay for HBO. 

Have you not read the multiple mentions that HBO is owned by Time Warner which is a cable company.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #74 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Have you not read the multiple mentions that HBO is owned by Time Warner which is a cable company.

I read a while back that they spun off their cable TV and Internet business. Ill try to find a cite.

Edit: found this http://ir.timewarner.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=70972&p=irol-twcseparation

I think content and delivery are separate now.
Edited by ChristophB - 6/21/13 at 7:36pm
post #75 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

That's a farce, electricity and water are still provided by the same utilities, no new reservoirs were built nor electric plants. There may be new companies maintaining the wires from the nearest substation to your house but they're really just really reselling you the same electricity you've always had.

When I said 'new' I meant as in not yet existing. I am just not liking the future of all communications held in the hands of Comcast and Verizon et al.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #76 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

When I said 'new' I meant as in not yet existing. I am just not liking the future of all communications held in the hands of Comcast and Verizon et al.

Who's going to come in and make that capital expenditure to only get a small piece of the pie? It was easy for the telcos and cable companies because they were the only players, municipalities are doing it now in small towns and Google in small cities but that's not nearly enough. Last I checked the USA ranked 14 in the world for average internet speeds.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #77 of 78
@dagamer34
Beautiful comment you made. And then you guys wonder why content providers are leery of allowing more streaming? Because of all the thieves we have out there. Yes, borrowing someone else's login is just what we all need. Man you are a fool dagamer34 !!!!!

Putting you on notice. HBO will begin tracking logins for the same stupid reason that people like dagamer34 brings problems to all of us.

I cant understand that some people are so lacking in curiosity. They need Aereo, why? You can get the same thing, even more channels, just with an off air digital antenna. Which only cost around $15.00. If you have a HD TV, and a digital off air antenna, your HD channels look better than the signal you get from cable. Super clear! There are also specific channels that you can only pick up with an off air antenna. You will be surprise how few channels you truly need.
I cut my cable a few months ago and haven't looked back. We get around 30 channels with the off air antenna, plus Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Hulu Plus for the wife TV dramas, and an Apple TV and a Roku 3. All these augmented by Internet channel delivery with the iPad and Apple TV Airplay, and we are saving a little over $100 per month on the TV bill.
And since we switched our iPhones to a no contract month to month company, that uses AT&T as their carriers, I get everything that AT&T subscribers get minus their huge bill for the same plan. I pay $45 per month for unlimited everything for the iPhones. That saved us $90 per month on cell phones cost.

Anyone can do this. And when we all do, the content providers, cable companies, etc., will come back asking us to join their new a la carte plan, and then we will have our cake and eat it too.
post #78 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska99801 View Post

I cant understand that some people are so lacking in curiosity. They need Aereo, why? You can get the same thing, even more channels, just with an off air digital antenna. Which only cost around $15.00. If you have a HD TV, and a digital off air antenna, your HD channels look better than the signal you get from cable. Super clear!

You have no idea no many people I've told this to and not a single one believes me.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Cable providers still leery of Apple TV, some refuse to authenticate 'HBO Go' app