or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple now charting App Store iOS fragmentation just like Google's Android
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple now charting App Store iOS fragmentation just like Google's Android

post #1 of 93
Thread Starter 
After first announcing that 93 percent of App Store customers are using the latest iOS 6 at WWDC last week, Apple has added the chart to its public developer site, mirroring Google's reporting of Android users in Google Play.

Mobile OS installed base stats


Apple now portrays the data in the same pie chart format at Google, drawing increased attention to the fact that on iOS, developers need only target the latest operating system. Apple also expects that adoption of iOS 7 will follow the rapid pace of previous releases, due in large part to the company's aggressive efforts to upgrade users and to prepare developers for the update.

Just 1 percent of Apple's App Store visitors still use a version older than iOS 5, released in October 2011. And only six percent are still using last year's iOS 5, the last version supported by the original 2010 iPad and 2009 iPod touch.

Google currently reports that as of June, the largest segment of Android devices are still running version 2.3 Gingerbread (36.5 percent), which was released in winter 2010. Another 4.8 percent use even older software.

Google Play stats
Source: Google


Another 25.6 percent are still on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, which was released the same month as iOS 5. Only 33 percent are running the latest major version, Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, which was announced last summer alongside Apple's debut of iOS 6.

And that's ignoring many Android shipments



Additionally, Google's statistics only look at those Android devices that regularly access Google Play, excluding Android-based products like Amazon's Kindle Fire and the millions of Android devices in China and other regions that don't use Google's services.

Google also began editing its numbers in March in response to comments by Apple's marketing chief Phil Schiller, who pointed out to Reuters that "with their own data, [Google reports] only 16 percent of Android users are on year-old version of the operating system. Over 50 percent are still on software that is two years old. A really big difference."

Two weeks later in its April report, Google made the necessary changes in its reporting to instantly inflate the proportion of its users reported to be using a less than year old version of Android and scale back the number of users reported to be stuck on a version from 2010 to be slightly below the 50 percent mark.

Two thirds of Android users can't use Google Now



Android's advocates have long claimed that fragmentation isn't really a problem, while also trying to claim that Android's large global shipments position it as a larger platform for developers than Apple's iOS.

But even Google has been unable to roll out its apps and services across a significant number of Android users. For example, Google Now requires Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, meaning that 66 percent of active Google Play users can't even install it. "More than six months have passed since Google first introduced its enhanced notifications in Android 4.1. It's disappointing that more apps haven't jumped on the bandwagon.

Adobe's Photoshop Touch requires Android 4.0, meaning only half the users in Google Play can use it.

Google, its hardware partners and the various mobile carriers also make it complex and in many cases impossible for users to obtain Android updates, even months after a new version is "released."

On the other hand, many developers simply ignore new features Google adds to Android. "More than six months have passed since Google first introduced its enhanced notifications in Android 4.1," complained MobileBurn. "It's disappointing that more apps haven't jumped on the bandwagon."

Apple's efforts to keep iOS users up to date have enabled quick developer uptake of new platform features in their apps, ranging from Notification Center to Game Center to Passbook.

New phones, old Android, no updates



Additionally, unlike the Windows PC world, where even users who didn't want to upgrade to the newest OS version essentially had no choice when they bought a new Windows computer, Android licensees are still selling lots of handsets with very old versions of Android on them. Verizon Wireless sells a variety of smartphones on its website that still ship with the ancient 2.3 Gingerbread

Verizon Wireless, for example, sells a variety of smartphones on its website that still ship with the ancient 2.3 Gingerbread, including the HTC Rhyme, LG Lucid and Spectrum, CASIO G?zOne Commando and Samsung Stratosphere. Users have to dig to see the actual specifications, because in many comparisons the OS is only specified as being "Android."

Verizon is not unique. In fact, very few phones ever ship with the latest release of Android installed. Even a year after Jelly Bean was unveiled last summer, many new phones are still shipping with Ice Cream Sandwich.

In stark contrast, Apple not only makes iOS updates immediately available, for free, to all of its users the same day it is released, but also continues to support its hardware with new iOS updates for at least two years after their initial release. And it doesn't sell new devices with outdated software that can't be upgraded.

For example, Apple continues to support iPhone 4, which was released back in 2010 when Android 2.2 was new. The phone will also run iOS 7 when it is launched this fall, giving it more than four years of updates.

In 2011, Google IO rolled out the "Google Update Alliance," a plan to ensure new Android smartphones would get software updates for at least 18 months after going on sale. The plan was declared dead before 2011 even ended.
post #2 of 93
In before whoever it was who said the chart was flawed and that it would be better to show Android on one manufacturer only.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #3 of 93

This will make the decision to drop support for iOS 5 for my apps easier when Apple release iOS 7.


Edited by NasserAE - 6/20/13 at 5:24pm
post #4 of 93

How on earth can any fandroid make an excuse for this? It's absolutely ridiculous.

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply
post #5 of 93

The longer Apple can keep a device updatable, the better. My MacBook 2007 (fall edition) just missed Mnt Lion. Apple released four versions of the MB that year and had I purchased three weeks later . . . 

 

Now all my Apple products are up to date. Five years seems a good length of time. But, if progress necessitates moving on, so be it.

 

Yet compared to the orphanage that is manned by Android, let that lady dance to its silly tune.

 

Addendum: But how trustful is Google going to be? I suspect the fire department will need to be called to put out the numerous pants that are on fire.


Edited by mhikl - 6/20/13 at 5:32pm

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply
post #6 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

How on earth can any fandroid make an excuse for this? It's absolutely ridiculous.

No excuses just reasons.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #7 of 93

I'd prefer if Apple just focus on marketing its own strengths. Comparison marketing simply draws attention to the competition.

post #8 of 93
Google should be commended for finally seeing fit to drop Android support for the OS version that used sync by string pulled taut between two devices.
 
oops: taut for taught;
 
thanks stelligent; dang those homophone's (and I really am fair minded wot ever sxual perswasion enyone is.)

Edited by mhikl - 6/20/13 at 6:32pm

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply
post #9 of 93

Things will never get better for Android because the handset manufacturers, including Motorola, have no incentive to encourage customers to update their phones' OS.

post #10 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

Google should be commended for finally seeing fit to drop Android support for the OS version that used sync by string pulled taught between two devices.

You should consider taking English lessons. The intended humor is lost in the translation. 

post #11 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Things will never get better for Android because the handset manufacturers, including Motorola, have no incentive to encourage customers to update their phones' OS.

 

I think it's the carriers as much as the manufacturers (if not more so) who are blocking updates.

post #12 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

The longer Apple can keep a device updatable, the better. My MacBook 2007 (fall edition) just missed Mnt Lion. Apple released four versions of the MB that year and had I purchased three weeks later . . . 

 

Now all my Apple products are up to date. Five years seems a good length of time. But, if progress necessitates moving on, so be it.

 

Yet compared to the orphanage that is manned by Android, let that lady dance to its silly tune.

 

Addendum: But how trustful is Google going to be? I suspect the fire department will need to be called to put out the numerous pants that are on fire.

The word you want is "trustworthy".

post #13 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

How on earth can any fandroid make an excuse for this? It's absolutely ridiculous.

 

It's quite common for articles on here to be incorrect or misleading when referencing Android, but this isn't one of them.  iOS and Android each have their pros and cons.  This area is certainly one of Android's downsides and it's not likely to go away anytime soon with the way things currently work.

post #14 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I think it's the carriers as much as the manufacturers (if not more so) who are blocking updates.

Yes but it's the manufacturers job to get the ball rolling. I'd agree with you if there were instances in which a carrier blocked an update that a manufacturer proposed. If it has happened I'm unaware of it.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #15 of 93
L
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

No excuses just reasons.

They used to point out that when Google releases a version of Android, it's like Apple releasing a beta at WWDC. To some degree I can see this as a fair comparison, meaning that Google has to first release the version and then vendors and carriers can start work on implementing upgrades.

Ok, but when this was the excuse back in 2010, I was skeptical, but could see how this was the case. However since 2010, the largest group of users are still on the same version. THREE years! Meanwhile my server stats are already showing a larger breakdown for iOS 7 than the latest version of Android...which goes back to November of last year.

Pathetic, that's what it is.

But it's even worse than that. As a user, fragmentation exists on both ends. Meaning, my Nexus 7 does have 4.2.2... Great, I'm up to date, right? Not so fast. Many apps aren't yet compatible with my device despite the 4.2.1 coming out in November and 4.2.2 coming out in February. Fortunately I just use the Nexus for development testing.
post #16 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

After first announcing that 93 percent of App Store customers are using the latest iOS 6 at WWDC last week, Apple has added the chart to its public developer site, mirroring Google's reporting of Android users in Google Play.

Mobile OS installed base stats

Well, that's hardly "just like Google's Android" as the headline says. There's a world of difference between the levels of fragmentation.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #17 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Yes but it's the manufacturers job to get the ball rolling. I'd agree with you if there were instances in which a carrier blocked an update that a manufacturer proposed. If it has happened I'm unaware of it.

It has happened. Manufacturers would not make much noise about it for fear of being cut out by the carriers. But you're right in implying that manufacturers are not knocking down the carriers' doors to push this.

 

Here's the process: Google releases a new flavor of ice cream ... eh ... Android. The manufacturers then not only have to adapt and test it for each phone, but for each carrier variant of it. Once that is delivered by the manufacturers, the carriers then have to do their own customization, and test. Assuming there is a will by all parties to make this happen, every step of this process takes time and effort, which is more often iterative than not (because the carriers are not happy with something). But what is the incentive to make it happen?

 

If there is an Android manufacturer that can change the leverage, it's Samsung. But obsolescence of software is not something they care that much about, it would appear.

post #18 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I'd prefer if Apple just focus on marketing its own strengths. Comparison marketing simply draws attention to the competition.

Apple are not making the comparison, AI is. If you follow the Apple Developer link in the story you will see Apple only show the iOS distribution. Even the graphs are different; Google use white lines to separate the pies, Apple don't and they use different legend styling.
post #19 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by binex View Post


Apple are not making the comparison, AI is. If you follow the Apple Developer link in the story you will see Apple only show the iOS distribution. Even the graphs are different; Google use white lines to separate the pies, Apple don't and they use different legend styling.

Yes, Apple is making the comparison. They have been comparing iOS/Android almost since the beginning.

post #20 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by macslut View Post

L
They used to point out that when Google releases a version of Android, it's like Apple releasing a beta at WWDC. To some degree I can see this as a fair comparison, meaning that Google has to first release the version and then vendors and carriers can start work on implementing upgrades.

Ok, but when this was the excuse back in 2010, I was skeptical, but could see how this was the case. However since 2010, the largest group of users are still on the same version. THREE years! Meanwhile my server stats are already showing a larger breakdown for iOS 7 than the latest version of Android...which goes back to November of last year.

Pathetic, that's what it is.

But it's even worse than that. As a user, fragmentation exists on both ends. Meaning, my Nexus 7 does have 4.2.2... Great, I'm up to date, right? Not so fast. Many apps aren't yet compatible with my device despite the 4.2.1 coming out in November and 4.2.2 coming out in February. Fortunately I just use the Nexus for development testing.

I have a problem with the beta analogy, once a version is put on the server it's a complete product, the manufacturers have fine tune it to their device. Is it pathetic? Yes but I'll give you the epitome of pathetic, how is it that in some cases a singular dev can make a ROM using the latest version of Android and get it running on a device with minimal bugs. A dev with less knowhow and much less manpower is able to do what the manufacturers claim cannot. That's a joke and not a funny one.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #21 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

It's quite common for articles on here to be incorrect or misleading when referencing Android, but this isn't one of them.  iOS and Android each have their pros and cons.  This area is certainly one of Android's downsides and it's not likely to go away anytime soon with the way things currently work.

So when you having nothing to criticize, you make a blanket accusation that most everything else is wrong.

I challenge you to point out three actual "incorrect or misleading" things AI has ever reported with regard to Android. And your misreading of an article doesn't count.
post #22 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Two thirds of Android users can't use Google Now

 

True, but melodramatic.  How about:

 

100% of Android users with access to a market can download a Google Now or Siri equivalent.

 

100% of iPhone 4 owners cannot use Siri... even though their device would've been able to if Apple hadn't bought it.

 

~40% of iOS devices ever sold can't use Siri.  (Even more have been left out of Airdrop, panoramic photos, etc.)

 

~85% of iPod touch devices ever sold are left out of iOS 7 upgrade.

 

See. Anyone can come up with fun statistics.

 

What's important is, does your device do the things you want it to do?

 

The OS version doesn't matter.  Especially with iOS, where the same number on various devices might or might not have major features included.


Edited by KDarling - 6/20/13 at 7:03pm
post #23 of 93
I'm not a "fandroid" but I can make very good excuses: this is not Google's fault, it's the nature of Google making something very different from what Apple did. Google has given maximum power and minimum accountability to carriers and handset makers. That's why they use it, and that's why Android (in one form or another) gets sold to so many people.

Apple has no such goals, and so they can get updates out to more people faster.

That's a VERY good excuse for Google, I think. Their goals are simply different from Apple's. Apple wants a good user experience, generating repeat purchases. Google wants their data-collection and ad-delivery software in as many hands as possible, and user experience comes second (or third or fourth).

Which is all a very good reason to stay away from any Android device that isn't fully in Google's control.
post #24 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

 

True, but melodramatic.  How about:

 

100% of Android users with access to a market can download a Google Now or Siri equivalent.

 

100% of iPhone 4 owners cannot use Siri... even though their device would've been able to if Apple hadn't bought it.

 

~40% of iOS devices ever sold can't use Siri.  (Even more have been left out of Airdrop, panoramic photos, etc.)

 

~85% of iPod touch devices ever sold are left out of iOS 7 upgrade.

 

See. Anyone can come up with fun statistics.

 

What's important is, does your device do the things you want it to do?

 

The OS version doesn't matter.  Especially with iOS, where the same number on various devices might or might not have major features included.

Fair observation, from the user perspective. I particularly agree with the fact the OS version matters little to the user. 

 

Having said this, homogeneity matters to the developers. For our work, we need only 2 iPhones but test on 15 Android devices. 15 is a low number compared to some of our friends and foes. Across the hallway from us, there is an Android-only dev shop that has a whole room dedicated to Android devices because they test on carrier variants as well as devices from different vendors. 

post #25 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

The longer Apple can keep a device updatable, the better. My MacBook 2007 (fall edition) just missed Mnt Lion. Apple released four versions of the MB that year and had I purchased three weeks later . . . 

 

Now all my Apple products are up to date. Five years seems a good length of time. But, if progress necessitates moving on, so be it.

 

Yet compared to the orphanage that is manned by Android, let that lady dance to its silly tune.

 

Addendum: But how trustful is Google going to be? I suspect the fire department will need to be called to put out the numerous pants that are on fire.

 

Does it say that Apple provided the comparison? Looks to me like AppleInsider is the source of the side by side comparison. And the article highlights the fact that this data is even available at all and then compares it to the sad state of affairs on the other side. 

 

I do wonder a bit about the Other category - could it be there are few devices prior to a given version because those devices just cant access the store? I have an original iPad which is limited and most stuff on there I either bought way back or tried out on higher devices first then put it on the old iPad, does that show up on the chart or is second download of same title not counted? In other words, this may not really be an accurate look at devices in the wild or even a fully detailed comparison of Apple and Android, especially if Android allows older versions to connect to the store even if there is little or not content available for them to use. So the co-requisite grain-o-salt applies here. 

 

On the other hand it is a good story I think and certainly helps the developers - on the other - other hand it will no doubt offend SOMEBODY that their 5 year old devices can't use the latest App. 

post #26 of 93
When I had a Google Nexus 1 ... which never got past gingerbread (IIRC) ... the thing i hated the most was that only certain apps could be moved to the SD card ... most large ones (especially Google's could not) ... and you couldn't remove apps like Facebook AT ALL ... even if you never wanted to use it.

Basically ... by the end ... I couldn't even update the apps I had because they were too large for the ram that I had available on the phone (256MB?) which made it useless.

This, of course, isn't even counting on the fact that all support ceased for the damn thing.

Haven't had any trouble of the sort with my iPhone 5 ... there was a problem with the LTE feature and T-Mobile, but they exchanged it without any question whatsoever ...

as for stelligent's comment. Normally I would say yes ... concentrate on strengths ... but isn't the fact that there isn't such fragmentation a strength (for the platform and developers) unto itself?
post #27 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Werner View Post

as for stelligent's comment. Normally I would say yes ... concentrate on strengths ... but isn't the fact that there isn't such fragmentation a strength (for the platform and developers) unto itself?

 

Compare the following:

 

You're so short.

 

I am tall. You're short.

 

Look at what I can reach - high, higher and highest.

post #28 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

True, but melodramatic.  How about:

100% of Android users with access to a market can download a Google Now or Siri equivalent.


100% of iPhone 4 owners cannot use Siri... even though their device would've been able to if Apple hadn't bought it.


~40% of iOS devices ever sold can't use Siri.  
(Even more have been left out of Airdrop, panoramic photos, etc.)


~85% of iPod touch devices ever sold are left out of iOS 7 upgrade.


See. Anyone can come up with fun statistics.


What's important is, does your device do the things you want it to do?

The OS version doesn't matter.  Especially with iOS, where the same number on various devices might or might not have major features included.

First off: if your point is thoughtful and interesting, you don't need big type or all caps to get attention.

Secondly: you conflate a series of ideas together in trying to make your point. Are you arguing that old hardware should support new features? Are you arguing that devices like the iPod touch should be supported for many. many more years of future iOS updates, or some specific multiplier of Android's "less than one year, if that"? What's fair, an expectation of Apple that is 4-5 times better than Google in every respect? How many times better than Google does Apple have to be to satisfy you? Just curious.

Or are you arguing that developers should not support features in new OS updates (as they haven't on Android with regard to improved notifications)? That everything should run on Android 2.3 Gingerbread phones because that's what the Android community is selling?

Are you arguing that it's okay to speak of "Android" as a platform when you want to brag about installed base numbers, and then turn around and use "Android" to also represent the small minority of devices that can actually do the things Google demonstrates in the most recent version of the OS?

What you should have said is: "Google Now is an initiative to sell Android phones, so of course it should only work on a few, brand new devices!"

But Android fans also like to suggest that "Android" comes with Google's greatest voice-search features that rival if not exceed Siri. So which is it?

Do you want "Android" to mean volumes of low end crap, or do you want "Android" to mean a few high end alternatives to the iPhone that cost just as much, aren't quite as polished, and have a shoddy selection of half baked apps, but test really well in benchmarks and have large but low quality screens (essentially another WP8 or BB10).

Because you can say both things, but not at the same time. Android isn't a huge platform of iPhone-like devices. It's a huge platform of crap with a small subset of iPhone-class devices that iOS greatly outnumbers.
post #29 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

First off: if your point is thoughtful and interesting, you don't need big type or all caps to get attention.

Secondly: you conflate a series of ideas together in trying to make your point. Are you arguing that old hardware should support new features? Are you arguing that devices like the iPod touch should be supported for many. many more years of future iOS updates, or some specific multiplier of Android's "less than one year, if that"? What's fair, an expectation of Apple that is 4-5 times better than Google in every respect? How many times better than Google does Apple have to be to satisfy you? Just curious.

Or are you arguing that developers should not support features in new OS updates (as they haven't on Android with regard to improved notifications)? That everything should run on Android 2.3 Gingerbread phones because that's what the Android community is selling?

Are you arguing that it's okay to speak of "Android" as a platform when you want to brag about installed base numbers, and then turn around and use "Android" to also represent the small minority of devices that can actually do the things Google demonstrates in the most recent version of the OS?

What you should have said is: "Google Now is an initiative to sell Android phones, so of course it should only work on a few, brand new devices!"

But Android fans also like to suggest that "Android" comes with Google's greatest voice-search features that rival if not exceed Siri. So which is it?

Do you want "Android" to mean volumes of low end crap, or do you want "Android" to mean a few high end alternatives to the iPhone that cost just as much, aren't quite as polished, and have a shoddy selection of half baked apps, but test really well in benchmarks and have large but low quality screens (essentially another WP8 or BB10).

Because you can say both things, but not at the same time. Android isn't a huge platform of iPhone-like devices. It's a huge platform of crap with a small subset of iPhone-class devices that iOS greatly outnumbers.

What he's saying is don't point out the speck in another's eye when you have a plank in yours.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #30 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

I challenge you to point out three actual "incorrect or misleading" things AI has ever reported with regard to Android. And your misreading of an article doesn't count.

 

Creating trouble isn't my goal here.  As me listing three incidences has nothing to do with the article and I can only imagine the reaction it would get I have chosen to privately message you three examples instead.  Enjoy!

post #31 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

How on earth can any fandroid make an excuse for this? It's absolutely ridiculous.

You really think it's that hard for them?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #32 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

That's rich. But are you admitting you are the same troll as Korea rling, or are there two disingenuous Android master baiters here? 

So they're trolls because they don't agree with you? Trolls are the ones with one line posts that are pure Apple hatred with no substance nor rhyme or reason. You may not agree with KDarling or DroidFTW but that alone doesn't make them a troll. Difference of opinions that are well written and with respect is what makes a thread interesting. We can politely and respectively agree to disagree.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #33 of 93
If you bought an android device, you're stuck with the version you got. OK? OK. Move along, iOS is not the droid you're looking for.

I will eat your dog! If you have cat, I will eat that too!

Reply

I will eat your dog! If you have cat, I will eat that too!

Reply
post #34 of 93
Jelly Bean should be split into 4.1 and 4.2, only a small percentage actually use 4.2.x.
post #35 of 93

Stop the presses! An OS that is Open Source with 4,000+ different models has fragmentation problems! An OS that's tailored to less than 20 device models doesn't! Thanks DeD, your articles are really eye opening 1rolleyes.gif

post #36 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


So they're trolls because they don't agree with you? Trolls are the ones with one line posts that are pure Apple hatred with no substance nor rhyme or reason. You may not agree with KDarling or DroidFTW but that alone doesn't make them a troll. Difference of opinions that are well written and with respect is what makes a thread interesting. We can politely and respectively agree to disagree.

 

Don't know enough about DroidFTW, but KD is a useless troll. A very subtle troll, but still a troll. He has a specific pattern to his posts that is repeated over and over. You don't have to use words like "iCrap" or "fanboys" to be a troll.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

 

True, but melodramatic.  How about:

 

100% of Android users with access to a market can download a Google Now or Siri equivalent.

 

100% of iPhone 4 owners cannot use Siri... even though their device would've been able to if Apple hadn't bought it.

 

~40% of iOS devices

 

 

ever sold can't use Siri.  (Even more have been left out of Airdrop, panoramic photos, etc.)

 

~85% of iPod touch devices ever sold are left out of iOS 7 upgrade.

See. Anyone can come up with fun statistics.

 

What's important is, does your device do the things you want it to do?

 

The OS version doesn't matter.  Especially with iOS, where the same number on various devices might or might not have major features included.

 

What a crock. Here's a couple for you:

 

100% of iPhone 4 users have numerous alternatives in the App Store for Siri, one of those being Google Now itself.

 

99% of iOS users can download and use Google Now.

 

67% of Android users are running a version with severe security holes that were fixed in iOS back in version 4.

 

93% is the number of devices your App can run on if you target iOS 6 and newer (which makes it odd that Google now requires iOS 5 and up since that only gives them another 6% of the user base).

 

 

OS version doesn't matter? Please, for someone who claims to be a software developer it must have been hard for you to say that with a straight face. Or maybe your "shill" payments make it easy for you to lie? OS version absolutely matters. It matters to developers who want to create the latest and greatest Apps. Developers who want to get to market quickly with their Apps but have to wait a year before enough critical mass builds up to make it worthwhile to code for the latest version. It matters to the people who buy a $600 phone that never gets updates when it hits one year old.

 

BTW, your comment that 100% of Android devices with access to the market can run a Siri equivalent is another outright lie. There are so many Android devcies out there that lack the processing power to run half the Apps available in Google Play. Having access to the Market in no way means that you can run every App on there. Why do you insist on lying all the time?

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #37 of 93
We shall see how fast ios7 rolls out! Will people who dislike it hold back? Or will it be the fastest downloaded and installed iOS to date?!
post #38 of 93

the killer point here, which most are still missing, is that many Android phones are still be sold with the hopelessly crippled old OS versions that will never be updated. that is shameful, right?

 

except of course, many buy those "free" phones with no intention of using any advanced OS features anyway. it's just another cellphone to them with some basic smart stuff. texting, Facebook, and celebrity gossip web sites mainly. so their built-in obsolescence doesn't matter. and you know ... that's ok.

 

the delicious irony instead is the droid fanboys won't ever admit their big user stats are comprised of mostly tabloid readers. and people wonder why their app revenues are so low?

post #39 of 93
Thank you Daniel for keeping up on the crapitude that is the android "ecosystem", so I don't have to.
post #40 of 93
The first iPad was introduced in 2010 and was 'wildly successful', ditto iPod Touch, therefore there are millions out there unable to upgrade to the latest OS, so presumably they've either been chucked away in despair or just written out of the equation. I cant believe that they represent such a small percentage of that pie chart! I am very disappointed that I can't update my original iPad in any way even if the limitations of the device prevents access to certain features.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple now charting App Store iOS fragmentation just like Google's Android
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple now charting App Store iOS fragmentation just like Google's Android