or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple now charting App Store iOS fragmentation just like Google's Android
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple now charting App Store iOS fragmentation just like Google's Android - Page 3

post #81 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


2.3 and older is only on about a third of active devices now. With probably 70% (63% at the beginning of the month) on Jelly Bean 4.x, perhaps it will make sense to discontinue support for the old 2.x "Gingerbread" by the end of the year.

 

Many apps these days are for ICS 4.0 and higher.  It must be worth it financially for them to support Gingerbread otherwise they wouldn't be doing it, right?

"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
Reply
"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
Reply
post #82 of 93
OT, but if the hardware is up to it, can't users upgrade the OS themselves, instead of waiting for their telco to upgrade? I presume they might need to wipe it, loosing all crapware telcos and HW manufacturers added. Though that could be a good ING, I dunno.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #83 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

OT, but if the hardware is up to it, can't users upgrade the OS themselves, instead of waiting for their telco to upgrade? I presume they might need to wipe it, loosing all crapware telcos and HW manufacturers added. Though that could be a good ING, I dunno.

 

Users can upgrade the OS themselves if they root their device (similar to jailbreaking on iOS).

"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
Reply
"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
Reply
post #84 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

 

Users can upgrade the OS themselves if they root their device (similar to jailbreaking on iOS).

Exploiting a security flaw to install an alternative ROM isn't exactly what I would call "upgrading" the OS. Only bootloader-unlocked devices allow you to install OS's by yourself without some hack.

post #85 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

Exploiting a security flaw to install an alternative ROM isn't exactly what I would call "upgrading" the OS. Only bootloader-unlocked devices allow you to install OS's by yourself without some hack.

 

Using a tool provided by HTC to unlock my bootloader to install a custom ROM isn't exactly what I would call "exploiting a security flaw" either.  :shrug:

 

You're correct though that I misspoke.  One needs to unlock their bootloader to install OS's.  Rooting a device is seperate from that.

"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
Reply
"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
Reply
post #86 of 93
@d4NjvRzf @DroidWTF: Thanks for clarifying guys. Would you know if there are any numbers known on how many root their device and how long it typically takes for the telco's to upgrade their customers devices?
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #87 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

@d4NjvRzf @DroidWTF: Thanks for clarifying guys. Would you know if there are any numbers known on how many root their device and how long it typically takes for the telco's to upgrade their customers devices?

 

There's no way of telling how many people root their devices.  As far as how long a typical upgrade takes, I have no idea where you'd find those numbers.

"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
Reply
"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
Reply
post #88 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

@d4NjvRzf @DroidWTF: Thanks for clarifying guys. Would you know if there are any numbers known on how many root their device and how long it typically takes for the telco's to upgrade their customers devices?

Arstechnica wrote a piece in late 2012 on android OS updates (http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/12/the-checkered-slow-history-of-android-handset-updates/). The charts in that article indicate how long various android devices have had to wait to get updates after each official android release. For some perspective one should note that major android releases tend to occur semiannually as opposed to annually like iOS. So one would add about 6 months to the numbers in the article to get the total time between OS updates.

post #89 of 93
Thanks guys, both of you
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #90 of 93
For those that thought the next version of Android would get tagged "Key Lime Pie". Reportedly the name will be ..... drumroll....


KitKat!lol.gif
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #91 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

For those that thought the next version of Android would get tagged "Key Lime Pie". Reportedly the name will be ..... drumroll....


KitKat!lol.gif

That's a registered trademark.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #92 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

That's a registered trademark.

Yes it is. It's also got KitKat's blessing.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #93 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

That's a registered trademark.

Yes it is. It's also got KitKat's blessing.

From their clubclub?

I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple now charting App Store iOS fragmentation just like Google's Android
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple now charting App Store iOS fragmentation just like Google's Android