or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Sony teases new smart watch as Apple 'iWatch' speculation lingers

Sony teases new smart watch as Apple 'iWatch' speculation lingers

post #1 of 35
Sony has begun hyping the debut of a smart watch wrist-worn accessory at next week's Mobile Asia Expo, potentially expanding its role in a nascent market that Apple is also rumored to be eyeing.

Sony

Amongst other promotional Twitter posts advertising products from the Xperia line of devices, Sony's official Xperia account reminded users this week of the company's heritage with "wearable tech" ? namely, the Walkman. The tweets also mention their existing wearable Android device, the SmartWatch, calling it the "only wearable device with 200 #firstgen apps on @GooglePlay."

The Japanese electronics maker then tweeted a statistic that found found that one in three people are looking for a wrist watch that would pair with their smartphone.

Though potential watches from Apple, Google and Samsung have made headlines for many months, Sony has been offering a watch product since 2007. In 2010 the company released the Sony Ericsson LiveView, a device which was panned by most critics and did not feature a touch display.

Last year Sony replaced the LiveView with the Xperia SmartWatch, a device which pairs with Android devices running the LiveView app and can run other apps from the Google Play Store.

Sony's Tweets suggest the next watch to be released could fit in the existing Xperia lineup. One of the Tweets relives the timeline of these products: "Pocket watch / wristwatch / digital watch / LiveView / SmartWatch / ? #itstime #MAE13."

An earlier Tweet simply reads: "Tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock #itstime #MAE13" and is accompanied by a picture of the existing Xperia SmartWatch.

Wearable Device
AppleInsider was first to discover an Apple patent filing describing a watch design with flexible display.

Save for a few comments from Tim Cook during the 2013 All Things D conference where he called the idea of a wearable device "interesting," there has been no official word about an Apple-branded wrist watch. There have, however, been several reports citing people familiar with the matter who claim Apple is working on a device that's been dubbed an "iWatch."

Noted analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities indicated last month that Apple is allegedly planning to launch its own smart watch in late 2014 that will integrate with iOS devices like the iPhone. He believes the device will sport a screen size between 1.5 and 2 inches, and will focus on utilizing biometric data collected from the user.

The smart watch space has been heating up with options like the Pebble, MetaWatch, I'm Watch, and existing Sony Smartwatch currently available. Reports have claimed Google, Samsung, Microsoft and LG are also working on new wrist-worn hardware accessories.
post #2 of 35
Still won't buy one, be it Apple or Sony. I don't wear a watch, and I can't see absolutely any reason to when I have my iPhone. Perhaps I'm not a a futurist with some grandiose vision how a smart watch is suddenly going to improve my life, I just don't see a hidden market demand for it.
post #3 of 35
Ill buy one. Then i wont have to pull my phone out as much. But im waiting for apple. I have an iphone. Apple tv. Ipad. I have already invested in the ecosystem.
post #4 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Japanese electronics maker then tweeted a statistic that found found that one in three people are looking for a wrist watch that would pair with their smartphone.

Seriously?

Did they ask more than three people?

censored

censored

post #5 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursadorable View Post

Still won't buy one, be it Apple or Sony. I don't wear a watch, and I can't see absolutely any reason to when I have my iPhone. Perhaps I'm not a a futurist with some grandiose vision how a smart watch is suddenly going to improve my life, I just don't see a hidden market demand for it.

I had very similar sentiments when Steve Jobs introduced the iPod and we were screaming for Mac computer updates.  

And while I have never owned an iPod and never purchased one single song from iTunes, it seems a lot others have and has been very good, financially, for Apple.

I too, don't wear a watch, don't intend to with iWatch, but who knows there may be a lot others who will...

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #6 of 35

I didn't see the point of the iPad before it was released, now the iPad mini is my ideal device.  (iPhone is too small, iPad is too heavy).

I don't wear a watch either, and probably won't start, but maybe Apple has a compelling use case for it that will convince me. 

I'm open minded, but see no reason to consider anything from google/motorola or sony.  And the pebble seems like a joke.  Sorry, don't want an e-ink display. 

post #7 of 35
I have a Pebble on pre-order and would get the rumored iWatch. But I think I'm in the minority on this as I have two very specific reasons for using it. 1. The vibrating alarm. My wife is a teacher so it will be nice to have a silent alarm while she's off during the summer. 2. Linking to my iphone to play and control music and Runkeeper while I'm running and biking. Again, I seem like a niche market and I can't see these things going mainstream, but Apple usually suprises with a new product line.
post #8 of 35
I wear a watch. Can't live without it. But I also destroy watches (few last me more than two years, and that would be the Casio GShock variety); I'm just too clumsy and rough on then -- banging them against walls, tables, gear, car doors, etc.

I'm not the market for a fragile >$200 watch whose display I'd probably smash within a few days of owning it.

Also, my watches are good to 100' (or better). I'm sure the iWatch (or whatever) will probably have those moisture sensors that my body sweat would probably activate on a hot, busy, day.

Too bad. I could probably use the features. I really like the idea (especially if Apple makes it look nice and not geeky like most such devices out there). I could even live with having to charge it every day. But unless I can be convinced it's indestructible, no thanks.

I hate being pessimistic. Would love to see the tech work out for me (I'd even love to have Google Glass if it didn't look so damn geeky/borgish). Not holding my breath, however.
post #9 of 35
Be there an iWach from Apple or not, what to me is so hilarious is how these Apple wannabes (not just Sony obviously) work their asses off coming up with whatever the rumor mill has it that Apple is coming out with next. Seriously, Apple should have a secret group that makes fake mock ups, applies for patents and seeds fake code in OS X and iOS pointing to the next tech-disruption products they are NOT working on just for the laughs.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #10 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

I had very similar sentiments when Steve Jobs introduced the iPod and we were screaming for Mac computer updates.  

And while I have never owned an iPod and never purchased one single song from iTunes, it seems a lot others have and has been very good, financially, for Apple.

I too, don't wear a watch, don't intend to with iWatch, but who knows there may be a lot others who will...

I'll be one who buys assuming it doesn't look like a this Sony POS

Watches are classic and have been around for a very long time.

The pocket watch evolved to a wristwatch. A very convenient way to tell time which became a fashion statement and a piece of jewelry.

What we've learned is that there is real estate on the wrist that is easy to see and and operate and can be fashionable as well.

It doesn't obstruct movement or require much to operate and view.

If apple can make a design that is pleasing to wear, operate, and look at, then they will once again change another industry.

This could be big if done right.

Every watch company would most likely have a model that could communicate with your phone in the future.

Lets not be too
Closed minded about this possibility.

We just haven't been shown the proper set up yet and this Sony version is not it.

It Can't be plasticy or toy looking.

Nor can it resemble the 1985 Casio calculator watch with a touch screen.

I have patience and hope that Apple will show the way.
post #11 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Seriously, Apple should have a secret group that makes fake mock ups, applies for patents and seeds fake code in OS X and iOS pointing to the next tech-disruption products they are NOT working on just for the laughs.

I could have sworn they did. Primarily to find leakers, but secondarily because they know what gets leaked will throw their "competitors" into an uproar.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #12 of 35
We look at our phones too much as it is, I guess we'll all be looking at our wrists while ignoring people.
post #13 of 35
My first inclination is to say I don't want a smart watch. Usually watches only last a few months with me as I take them off and lose them...

But that might be the killer app if I can use my iPhone to find where I've lost my iWatch.

Doing a bit of kremlinology on features of iOS7 I can see where this is going, and there might be some very creative app possibilities with gaming and communication where smart watches could be surprisingly compelling.
post #14 of 35
Perfect. This is just the kind of unimaginative, clunky, and 1970-ish POS that the designers at Apple were meant to leapfrog. This will be the perfect foil if Apple decides to do for watches what it has done for all other status quo devices.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #15 of 35
This looks like the old ipod nano that you could buy a band for. I think I'd rather pick one of those up on ebay than this.
post #16 of 35

These look just as ugly as the Google Glass glasses (well, maybe not that bad).  It would be interesting to see a watch with a smooth surface that curved around your wrist using the flexible curved glass that is shown in the patent document.  I don't think I'd get one as I'm not a watch (or a bracelet) guy, but it seems like they would look a lot better then this.

Edited by DroidFTW - 6/21/13 at 2:30pm
post #17 of 35
I hope apple does not make this look like a traditional watch like Sony did in the pictures above...the "wrap" concept would be very appealing...I am not convinced that an iWatch will do very well. We will see.
post #18 of 35
I am not convinced that we will see an iWatch . . . period. If we do, it may be another elaboration of the iPod. An iPod Wrist, if you will, rather than a standalone device. All the Applely goodness of the Nano with a new dose of iOS functionality. If it kept me from searching for my TV remote, I'd be interested.
post #19 of 35

It would make finger print verification purchases a breeze.

Edited by bobborries - 6/21/13 at 5:00pm
post #20 of 35

Oh.  Great.  Another story about smart watchezzzzzz....

Zzzzzzzz....

Zzzzzzzzzzzz...

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #21 of 35
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

We look at our phones too much as it is, I guess we'll all be looking at our wrists while ignoring people.

When I'm being actively ignored, I prefer it when the ignorer is not looking at me.

The way people used to do when they wore Walkmans to shut out the world.

Now, Glassholes look right through you with that blank stare.  Creepy.  Very creepy.

post #22 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Oh.  Great.  Another story about smart watchezzzzzz....
Zzzzzzzz....
Zzzzzzzzzzzz...

Bee-bee-bee-beep! Bee-bee-bee-beep! Bee-bee-*click*

post #23 of 35

I have a Pebble pre-order (though it's a white one, so at this rate it could be 3013 by the time I get it), but if Sony introduces a similarly priced or cheaper option that also supports iOS (Their current watch doesn't), I'll take a look. In fact, I look into all the smart watches I hear about. The Pebble is so far the only one that does all the things I'd want at a reasonable price

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.8
White iPad (3G) with Wi-Fi | 16GB | Engraved | Blue Polyurethane Smart Cover
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.8
White iPad (3G) with Wi-Fi | 16GB | Engraved | Blue Polyurethane Smart Cover
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

post #24 of 35

I think this could very well be the next product category for Apple. 

• Store songs or tether to iPhone / iPod for complete collection
  • Facetime tethering to iPhone
  • Time, Weather, Maps, Stocks, Sports, etc. 
  • Siri tethering to iPhone for commands and information lookup
  • Dedicated iWatch apps. 

I think most of the iWatch would be informational or music as the size would be too small for much else. But if I could "Text Sarah I'm running late" on the iWatch vs. getting out my iPhone, or any number of "What, which, who" questions would be very functional. Of course iTunes and bluetooth headsets. 

What ideas are there for iWatch apps? 

post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by realpaulfreeman View Post

Doing a bit of kremlinology on features of iOS7 I can see where this is going, and there might be some very creative app possibilities with gaming and communication where smart watches could be surprisingly compelling.

I was thinking the same thing with iOS7 and how the new look and features could easily play into a smaller wearable item. 

post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursadorable View Post

I think the patents Apple has secured are protection and may be used to either secure licensing fees or make their competition's product development cycles more difficult.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I think the patents Apple has secured are protection and may be used to either secure licensing fees or make their competition's product development cycles more difficult.

Thinking of any in particular?

post #28 of 35
Let me ask u all this... If u were to buy one.. Would it be apple or sony?
I think we all know the answer to that!
post #29 of 35

The success of a wearable device such as an iWatch will depend on biosensors. 

post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

Whichever one best suits my needs of course.  Doubt either of them will though.

censored

censored

post #31 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

It depends who 'u' is ... Any PC lover from the old days of PCs or the current Apple haters that use copied Apple stuff from Korea would buy Sony even if they knew the Apple product was ten times better. Obviously anyone wanting it to seamlessly work with their Mac, iPad, IPhone, AppleTV and iCloud would go Apple. Not buying Apple in this case has nothing to do with Sony as such, they have been a very good and innovative company in their day, but more about hating Apple for some strange psychological reason.
Edited by digitalclips - 6/22/13 at 5:30am
post #32 of 35
As I've stated previously, we're going to get a taste of what an iWatch could be because of iOS 7.

Not one person, including OP, has mentioned the fact that iOS 7 includes many more APIs for expanded Bluetooth LE accessories. Basically, everything a developer like Sony needs to build deep integration from their SmartWatch > iOS 7.

If Sony has a clue, they are already knee deep in it. Given that this product is on the horizon, and that Apple has been preparing these APIs, I'm very surprised that we didn't see a demonstration of behind-the-scenes collaboration on this project. But, perhaps Apple was more interested in simply putting it out there and seeing what companies could do, without the special treatment and collaboration (just in case it sucks).

Apple will be interested to see what other developers can do with these APIs, and if they can make a great Bluetooth accessory. They will be waiting to swoop in with their own killer product if some idea or implementation takes off.

So far the SmartWatch is a market flop. Make a good one that actually does what people expect, and it has a chance. But, it is undoubtedly a NEW category that has sink or swim written all over it.
post #33 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

As I've stated previously, we're going to get a taste of what an iWatch could be because of iOS 7.

Not one person, including OP, has mentioned the fact that iOS 7 includes many more APIs for expanded Bluetooth LE accessories. Basically, everything a developer like Sony needs to build deep integration from their SmartWatch > iOS 7.

If Sony has a clue, they are already knee deep in it. Given that this product is on the horizon, and that Apple has been preparing these APIs, I'm very surprised that we didn't see a demonstration of behind-the-scenes collaboration on this project. But, perhaps Apple was more interested in simply putting it out there and seeing what companies could do, without the special treatment and collaboration (just in case it sucks).

Apple will be interested to see what other developers can do with these APIs, and if they can make a great Bluetooth accessory. They will be waiting to swoop in with their own killer product if some idea or implementation takes off.

So far the SmartWatch is a market flop. Make a good one that actually does what people expect, and it has a chance. But, it is undoubtedly a NEW category that has sink or swim written all over it.

Why wouldn't Sony do this for their own phones or for Android phones?
post #34 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Doesn't the previous generation "wearable" iPod Nano get any credit?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #35 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Doesn't the previous generation "wearable" iPod Nano get any credit?

Perhaps as something that "could have been".  But...

• It couldn't interact with any other devices (except speakers).
  • Third parties could not sell apps for it.

Edited by KDarling - 6/26/13 at 12:00pm
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Sony teases new smart watch as Apple 'iWatch' speculation lingers