or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Cook incentivizes his 1M restricted stock unit payout as top brass net $86.5M in share selloff
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cook incentivizes his 1M restricted stock unit payout as top brass net $86.5M in share selloff

post #1 of 69
Thread Starter 
A number of top Apple executives, including CEO Tim Cook and CFO Peter Oppenheimer, on Friday sold off recently vested restricted stock units worth a total of nearly $86.5 million, while Cook asked the board to incentivize his award.

Cook RSU
Source: SEC


According to filings made public by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, six executives sold off hundreds of thousands of restricted stock units (RSUs) which vested on Friday.

Apple CEO Tim Cook, COO Peter Oppenheimer, marketing head Phil Schiller, SVP of Technologies Bob Mansfield, legal chief Bruce Sewell and SVP of Operations Jeff Williams sold common stock worth $86.45 million

Cook made out with the most after exercising 41,391 shares at a price of $413.50, netting him over $17.1 million. Apple also agreed to modify the chief executive's one-million RSU package, worth nearly $413 million at today's AAPL price, adding performance provisions to the stock that will vest in increments over the next eight years. In return, a portion of the RSUs will vest sooner.

Under the adopted modification, Mr. Cook will forfeit a portion of the award if Apple Inc. does not achieve certain performance criteria. As modified, assuming continued employment through the applicable vesting date and satisfaction of applicable performance-based criteria, the one million restricted stock units subject to the award vest as follows: 100,000 restricted stock units vest on August 24, 2016; 100,000 restricted stock units vest on August 24, 2021; the balance of 800,000 restricted stock units is separated into ten equal tranches of 80,000 restricted stock units each that vest over the ten-year life of the award. This transaction represents the settlement, pursuant to the terms of the modified award, of 80,000 restricted stock units that vested upon the modification of the award on June 21, 2013. Each remaining tranche of 80,000 restricted stock units vests annually commencing August 24, 2013, assuming continued employment through the applicable vesting date and, with respect to a portion of each tranche, satisfaction of applicable performance-based criteria.


In an 8K filing posted to Apple's website, the company noted that Cook's stock will vest based on AAPL performance. If Apple's total shareholder return is within the top third of S&P 500 companies, the RSUs for that year will vest in full. If performance is in the middle third or lower third, the RSUs set to vest in that year will be will be reduced by 25 percent and 50 percent, respectively.

As for the total breakdown of common stock sold today, the list is as follows:
  • Tim Cook: $17,115,178.50
  • Phil Schiller: $16,287,540
  • Jeff Williams: $15,787,843.50
  • Peter Oppenheimer: $15,641,878
  • Bruce Sewell: $15,641,878
  • Bob Mansfield : $5,981,277.50

The shares sold on Friday were all from RSUs awarded in 2011, which vested on Friday. For most, the other half will vest on March 21, 2016, contingent on performance and employment by that date.
post #2 of 69
Bet they wish it was 700+ again ...
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #3 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Bet they wish it was 700+ again ...



I don't think it matters once you get a certain amount of money.  It's like the difference between being rich and being richer.  For normal people, it's the difference between having $500 and having $1000.  Sure, we'd like it, but it's not going to make our lives twice as good.

post #4 of 69
With AAPL share plummeting 10% in 2 days from historic lows during a stock buyback period, Cook obviously believes AAPL shares are worth less under his cockeyed misguided leadership.
post #5 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

With AAPL share plummeting 10% in 2 days from historic lows during a stock buyback period, Cook obviously believes AAPL shares are worth less under his cockeyed misguided leadership.

 

And yet they keep breaking profit records every quarter. Go figure.

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply
post #6 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

With AAPL share plummeting 10% in 2 days from historic lows during a stock buyback period, Cook obviously believes AAPL shares are worth less under his cockeyed misguided leadership.

/s

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #7 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

With AAPL share plummeting 10% in 2 days from historic lows during a stock buyback period, Cook obviously believes AAPL shares are worth less under his cockeyed misguided leadership.

You reckon you can do better.

Why not talk to Apple board and ask them for his job.
post #8 of 69

It's all absurd!

post #9 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

With AAPL share plummeting 10% in 2 days from historic lows during a stock buyback period, Cook obviously believes AAPL shares are worth less under his cockeyed misguided leadership.

gee, i don't suppose you happened to notice what happened to the market in general, eh?
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
post #10 of 69

Apparently some of the commenters are not aware, that when deferred stock and options become vested, you owe taxes immediately. Many executives sell stock in a cashless exercise, to pay that tax liability. They may indeed, keep the rest of the shares for future use.

post #11 of 69
Speculation....
Edited by macologist - Today at 9:58 pm

Go  Apple!!!

Reply

Go  Apple!!!

Reply
post #12 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkevwill View Post

Apparently some of the commenters are not aware, that when deferred stock and options become vested, you owe taxes immediately. Many executives sell stock in a cashless exercise, to pay that tax liability. They may indeed, keep the rest of the shares for future use.

Jobs sold a ton of his Apple shares to pay the taxes on his Disney shares. Often the sale date is set for the vesting date for that reason. They also have to pay the taxes on the dividend.
post #13 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

With AAPL share plummeting 10% in 2 days from historic lows during a stock buyback period, Cook obviously believes AAPL shares are worth less under his cockeyed misguided leadership.

 

No other CEO of any major company would do what Tim Cook just did, as by his request, his incentivization will only have a downside component, not an upside. That's called being a leader, and believing in your company. Not something someone like you would understand, with your myopic view of FIRE COOK NOW mentality. Apple has yet to release a failed product under Cook, or something that doesn't smash all previous records, or something that doesnt have ultra high satisfaction ratings, or doesn't have the highest reviews in the industry, etc. No doubt you have no idea who you would want to replace Cook in your fantasy scenario, because that would require you to think 10 seconds into the future and 2 feet ahead of your nose. 

post #14 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by macologist View Post

My concern is that people who don't have Apple's best interest in mind will interpret this as the top executives not having enough faith in Apple's future and will use it as an excuse to speculate, and drive AAPL stock price down further! They would be saying something like, if they know that AAPL price is going up why would they want to sell it right now, when it already took a hit lately. Why wouldn't they wait to sell it later at a higher price? There must be a good explanation for all this, aside from Comment 11! I just don't know what it is.

Comment 11 is the answer with one clarification. It isn't about how execs do it, it is how RSUs work. When they vest, they (the company) must sell some to cover the taxes. The brokerage firm handeling their employee stock plan will do it all. It is how they do the federal withholding on the gain. So some % gets sold and then you own the rest of the vested shares and can hold or sell them. So the real question is if they held the rest. You can lookup their positions online and figure it out since they are officers of the corporation.

I'm not a tax or stock expert, but I get RSU grants from my employer.
post #15 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkevwill View Post

Apparently some of the commenters are not aware, that when deferred stock and options become vested, you owe taxes immediately. Many executives sell stock in a cashless exercise, to pay that tax liability. They may indeed, keep the rest of the shares for future use.

Jobs sold a ton of his Apple shares to pay the taxes on his Disney shares. Often the sale date is set for the vesting date for that reason. They also have to pay the taxes on the dividend.

This strategy is referred to as net settlement or net share settlement where you sell some options to pay the taxes and retain the net gain as stock. RSUs do this by default for everyone.
post #16 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

With AAPL share plummeting 10% in 2 days from historic lows during a stock buyback period, Cook obviously believes AAPL shares are worth less under his cockeyed misguided leadership.

Remember this guy?

He's the one who said "Tim Cook is so full of shit he doesn't even know it."

That was when Cook said Apple wasn't going to trade screen quality for screen size.

Mr. Web exhibits a textbook case of not getting it. He doesn't even know he doesn't get it.
post #17 of 69
I certainly hope Jony Ive has some stock, although I suppose he's not a high enough executive to require disclosure. A little surprising, that ...

D
post #18 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

With AAPL share plummeting 10% in 2 days from historic lows during a stock buyback period, Cook obviously believes AAPL shares are worth less under his cockeyed misguided leadership.
 
Cook never had guts to increase iPhone's screen to a size that would make it easy to use for the majority.
Cook failed to make iCloud reliable.
Cook is a spreadsheet master who has no understanding of products.
Cook failed to revitalize iOS.
 
Did you see the last Keynote? Shameful DISASTER! Craig Federighi introduced "swipe for the control pannel" and "moving photo backgrounds" like something radically new. Can you imagine Steve Jobs presenting this old shit that has been on Android for months if not years? Or... Flat Design? Have Apple execs ever played with Windows 8?
Steve Jobs would fire people on the spot rather than put this Apple mockery on the worldwide display.
 
Are Apple Execs living in some kind of bubble and do not see where the world, the competitors, and consumer trends are? It used to be that Apple defined consumer trends, now Apple desperately tries to catch up and fails.
But who cares? As AAPL price continues to melt, Cook zealots will keep singing praises to this inept and gutless CEO.
post #19 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

[...] Apple has yet to release a failed product under Cook, or something that doesn't smash all previous records

 

Not bashing Cook, just picking a nit: The Retina MBP has not broken any records. I don't know if I'd call it a "failed" product but I wouldn't consider it a smashing success either. Hasn't adoption of this iteration been considerably slower than previous versions?

post #20 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post


Remember this guy?

He's the one who said "Tim Cook is so full of shit he doesn't even know it."

That was when Cook said Apple wasn't going to trade screen quality for screen size.

Mr. Web exhibits a textbook case of not getting it. He doesn't even know he doesn't get it.

 

With due respect, I believe he actually DOES get it. He knows, as do you and I, that Mr. Cook's comments on the subject were pure, unadulterated bullshit. Complete nonsense. His own products demonstrate as much.

 

I do not perceive any benefit to having someone other than Cook at the helm, but neither do I assume he's got some super-secret-power insight that allows him to see "truths" that are contradicted by what is clearly evident to anyone. He might tell incredible stories about how his invisible robes contain secrets about what's best the common serf, but the truth is that sometimes the Emperor really *IS* naked.

 

EVERY leader does it sometimes. Recognizing bullshit when you hear it is part of being a critical consumer. Recognizing that it won't bring the company to ruin is part of being a critical shareholder.

post #21 of 69
Selling shares is not always a myth you can interpret as this and that will happen to Apple in the future. Sometimes it's just to realize income. Not more not less.
post #22 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by enature View Post

Unfortunately, most local Cook zealots will slam you here. They are so out of touch with the reality that they will keep defending Cook even when AAPL hits $300.
 
Cook never had guts to increase iPhone's screen to a size that would make it easy to use for the majority.
Cook failed to make iCloud reliable.
Cook is a spreadsheet master who has no understanding of products.
Cook failed to revitalize iOS.
 
Did you see the last Keynote? Shameful DISASTER! Craig Federighi introduced "swipe for the control pannel" and "moving photo backgrounds" like something radically new. Can you imagine Steve Jobs presenting this old shit that has been on Android for months if not years? Or... Flat Design? Have Apple execs ever played with Windows 8?
Steve Jobs would fire people on the spot rather than put this Apple mockery on the worldwide display.
 
Are Apple Execs living in some kind of bubble and do not see where the world, the competitors, and consumer trends are? It used to be that Apple defined consumer trends, now Apple desperately tries to catch up and fails.
But who cares? As AAPL price continues to melt, Cook zealots will keep singing praises to this inept and gutless CEO.

Thank you for the reaction from Redmond.

 

Cheers

post #23 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Another junior troll with bad eyesight that is trying (unsuccessfully) to focus on a few trees while missing the rest of the forest.

Lol... I have been member of AI years before you joined. And forecasted accurately both the rise and the fall of AAPL.

Earlier this year, I offered $400 bet to anyone here that Apple price share will cross under $400. None took the bet, but many were ready to scream out insults and pump out hot air about how Cook will drive AAPL to all time highs.

 

AAPL is at $413 how. And I tell you that it will cross under $400 again. And likely will hit $360 this year, may be even this summer.

post #24 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

You sound like such a douche. No other CEO of any major company would do what Tim Cook just did, as by his request, his incentivization will only have a downside component, not an upside. That's called being a leader, and believing in your company. Not something someone like you would understand, with your myopic view of FIRE COOK NOW mentality. Apple has yet to release a failed product under Cook, or something that doesn't smash all previous records, or something that doesnt have ultra high satisfaction ratings, or doesn't have the highest reviews in the industry, etc. No doubt you have no idea who you would want to replace Cook in your fantasy scenario, because that would require you to think 10 seconds into the future and 2 feet ahead of your nose. 
My only concern is considering how manipulated the stock is, is it a good idea for Cook's pay to be so tied to it? He doesn't seem like someone personally motivated by money so perhaps this is more of a PR gesture than anything else. I'd hate to see Apple start making decisions based on what Wall Street clowns want.
post #25 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by enature View Post
 
Cook never had guts to increase iPhone's screen to a size that would make it easy to use for the majority.
Cook failed to make iCloud reliable.
Cook is a spreadsheet master who has no understanding of products.
Cook failed to revitalize iOS.
 
Did you see the last Keynote? Shameful DISASTER! Craig Federighi introduced "swipe for the control pannel" and "moving photo backgrounds" like something radically new. Can you imagine Steve Jobs presenting this old shit that has been on Android for months if not years? Or... Flat Design? Have Apple execs ever played with Windows 8?
Steve Jobs would fire people on the spot rather than put this Apple mockery on the worldwide display.
 
Are Apple Execs living in some kind of bubble and do not see where the world, the competitors, and consumer trends are? It used to be that Apple defined consumer trends, now Apple desperately tries to catch up and fails.
But who cares? As AAPL price continues to melt, Cook zealots will keep singing praises to this inept and gutless CEO.

I am quite happy with Apple's product updates since Tim took over. I love the new Macbook Pro and Mac Pro. I would like to see them get involved in something entirely new though, maybe the first practical home 3D printer.

post #26 of 69

If one of either Ive or Cook were to go, which would you rather it was, for the future prosperity of Apple?

post #27 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

If one of either Ive or Cook were to go, which would you rather it was, for the future prosperity of Apple?

Cook,

 

but that's just because Ive is the best designer of the last century and the "magical" guy at Apple. Cook is better at pretty much everything than guys like Bezos, Ballmer or Page, the thief at samsung, any Sony CEO. In fact, all of those are nothing more than monkeys in the tech world. They understand nothing.

 

If shareholders are nothing more than blind stock gamblers that's their problem, I hope Apple reaches 150 dollars and buys itself.

 

In fact, I doubt Ive would be a better CEO than Cook because (first of all) he would have to stop being the designer.

 

There's only one person that I would like to see as Apple CEO instead of Cook. There's only one guy that could use that position and Apple's mindshare and power to change the world in ways that even Jobs couldn't dream, and that's:

 

Elon Musk.

 

Apple should buy Tesla and/or Space X.

post #28 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamC View Post


You reckon you can do better.

Why not talk to Apple board and ask them for his job.

 

Well, that's point of criticism. The critic can sit back at their kitchen table and pontificate about what a terrible CEO Tim Cook is, make recommendations, predict results, assume things out of thin air, all the while not having any money on the table. They don't have to run Apple and be responsible for the results so it's easy to criticize. That's the definition of critic.

post #29 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

 

And yet they keep breaking profit records every quarter. Go figure.

 

You live under a rock? we been getting Year over Year profits declines for a while.  

 

Next quarter EPS consensus is $7.30, last year results was $9.32

Last quarter EPS was $10.09, last year results was $12.30

The december quarter was flat, $13.81 VS $13.86

 

Between the beginning of 2012 and the end of the that year, Apple went from 80% YoY growth to no growth. Now its on the decline. People thinking everting is peachy are in denial...

post #30 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Cook,

but that's just because Ive is the best designer of the last century and the "magical" guy at Apple. Cook is better at pretty much everything than guys like Bezos, Ballmer or Page, the thief at samsung, any Sony CEO. In fact, all of those are nothing more than monkeys in the tech world. They understand nothing.

If shareholders are nothing more than blind stock gamblers that's their problem, I hope Apple reaches 150 dollars and buys itself.

In fact, I doubt Ive would be a better CEO than Cook because (first of all) he would have to stop being the designer.

There's only one person that I would like to see as Apple CEO instead of Cook. There's only one guy that could use that position and Apple's mindshare and power to change the world in ways that even Jobs couldn't dream, and that's:

Elon Musk.

Apple should buy Tesla and/or Space X.

Sorry, Pedro, but Elon Musk has no taste, and lacks the humility to realize it.

Tim Cook may or may not have native good taste, but he has the humility to listen to those who do. Or he knows it when he sees it in others.
post #31 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by enature View Post

Lol... I have been member of AI years before you joined. And forecasted accurately both the rise and the fall of AAPL.

Earlier this year, I offered $400 bet to anyone here that Apple price share will cross under $400. None took the bet, but many were ready to scream out insults and pump out hot air about how Cook will drive AAPL to all time highs. Pathetic.

 

AAPL is at $413 how. And I tell you that it will cross under $400 again. And likely will hit $360 this year, may be even this summer. 

Except for one teeny-weeny thing. Apple is still growing, gaining market share, increasing profits, albeit at a slower pace (which is entirely consistent with the law of large numbers.) So it would appear the stock price doesn't have much to do with Tim Cook's performance. AAPL is stagnant for now so the interpretation is that Apple is failing under Cook's leadership? I don't think so. I gave up the "Steve is dead so Apple is too" mindset about a month after he passed away. 

 

And, I've been a member AI one month longer than you have. 1biggrin.gif

post #32 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Sorry, Pedro, but Elon Musk has no taste, and lacks the humility to realize it.

Tim Cook may or may not have native good taste, but he has the humility to listen to those who do. Or he knows it when he sees it in others.
I don't get all the hype around Elon Musk. And why would he be a good fit for a consumer ełectronics company?
post #33 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Not bashing Cook, just picking a nit: The Retina MBP has not broken any records. I don't know if I'd call it a "failed" product but I wouldn't consider it a smashing success either. Hasn't adoption of this iteration been considerably slower than previous versions?
I think Apple has strong products in each category, but the market for PCs is rapidly changing underneath them.
post #34 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

If one of either Ive or Cook were to go, which would you rather it was, for the future prosperity of Apple?

The answer is neither, because it's a proposition based on a false premise. Both are integral to the company we see today. The future of the company without either of them is therefore essentially unimaginable.

Tim Cook designed the supply chain logistics, probably also the production operations. Given the global nature of both of these, the scale of production since the iPhone and the iPad, it could be said that he's put together the most complex and valuable enterprise, in the shortest time, in history.

His job is underestimated because no one has seen fit to tell the story. He needs a John McPhee to do it up, but that kind of writing and thinking is a bit out of fashion these days. Everybody thinks they know everything already.
post #35 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Sorry, Pedro, but Elon Musk has no taste, and lacks the humility to realize it.

Tim Cook may or may not have native good taste, but he has the humility to listen to those who do. Or he knows it when he sees it in others.
I don't get all the hype around Elon Musk. And why would he be a good fit for a consumer ełectronics company?

Jobs wasn't a designer or an engineer. Jobs was nothing besides a visionary with the ability of using the best in the best people.

Musk is that, and more. Apple a consumer electronics company? Please, don't be blind. They showed a long time ago that they are not limited by descriptions like "computer company" to "electronics company". They try and change what they can.

 

iOS and Tesla would be something awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Cook,

but that's just because Ive is the best designer of the last century and the "magical" guy at Apple. Cook is better at pretty much everything than guys like Bezos, Ballmer or Page, the thief at samsung, any Sony CEO. In fact, all of those are nothing more than monkeys in the tech world. They understand nothing.

If shareholders are nothing more than blind stock gamblers that's their problem, I hope Apple reaches 150 dollars and buys itself.

In fact, I doubt Ive would be a better CEO than Cook because (first of all) he would have to stop being the designer.

There's only one person that I would like to see as Apple CEO instead of Cook. There's only one guy that could use that position and Apple's mindshare and power to change the world in ways that even Jobs couldn't dream, and that's:

Elon Musk.

Apple should buy Tesla and/or Space X.

Sorry, Pedro, but Elon Musk has no taste, and lacks the humility to realize it.

Tim Cook may or may not have native good taste, but he has the humility to listen to those who do. Or he knows it when he sees it in others.

Steve wasn't known for those things either... And how can you say that Elon has no taste? Based on what? I like Cook, a lot... But Apple has more to it than numbers, it has magic. Elon too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by enature View Post

Lol... I have been member of AI years before you joined. And forecasted accurately both the rise and the fall of AAPL.

Earlier this year, I offered $400 bet to anyone here that Apple price share will cross under $400. None took the bet, but many were ready to scream out insults and pump out hot air about how Cook will drive AAPL to all time highs. Pathetic.

 

AAPL is at $413 how. And I tell you that it will cross under $400 again. And likely will hit $360 this year, may be even this summer.

Except for one teeny-weeny thing. Apple is still growing, gaining market share, increasing profits, albeit at a slower pace (which is entirely consistent with the law of large numbers.) So it would appear the stock price doesn't have much to do with Tim Cook's performance. AAPL is stagnant for now so the interpretation is that Apple is failing under Cook's leadership? I don't think so. I gave up the "Steve is dead so Apple is too" mindset about a month after he passed away. 

 

And, I've been a member AI one month longer than you have. 1biggrin.gif

Exactly. AAPL has nothing to do with Apple.

 

The stock is nothing more than a novel for shareholders to entertain themselves and a good way to have investors when you need them (not Apple's case).

 

 

I hope the stock goes down, I love these doom-sayers.

post #36 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

If one of either Ive or Cook were to go, which would you rather it was, for the future prosperity of Apple?

Keep Both. That's like saying who would you keep: your mom or your dad.
post #37 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Exactly. AAPL has nothing to do with Apple.

The stock is nothing more than a novel for shareholders to entertain themselves and a good way to have investors when you need them (not Apple's case).


Stock price has little to do with performance. My company's stock price is at an all time high yet my raise has been put on hold.
post #38 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post


The answer is neither, because it's a proposition based on a false premise. Both are integral to the company we see today. The future of the company without either of them is therefore essentially unimaginable.
 

 

There was no premise, so nothing to be 'false'.  It was a hypothetical postulate.  My personal view is Ive is less easily replaceable than Cook and is of more worth to the company.  Looking at those repugnant remunerations, it seems his worth is not universally appreciated.

 

Perhaps Apple should employ Neal Stephenson to do the vision thing and leave Cook to do the management thing.

post #39 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

With due respect, I believe he actually DOES get it. He knows, as do you and I, that Mr. Cook's comments on the subject were pure, unadulterated bullshit. Complete nonsense. His own products demonstrate as much.

I do not perceive any benefit to having someone other than Cook at the helm, but neither do I assume he's got some super-secret-power insight that allows him to see "truths" that are contradicted by what is clearly evident to anyone. He might tell incredible stories about how his invisible robes contain secrets about what's best the common serf, but the truth is that sometimes the Emperor really *IS* naked.

EVERY leader does it sometimes. Recognizing bullshit when you hear it is part of being a critical consumer. Recognizing that it won't bring the company to ruin is part of being a critical shareholder.

The simple response, which might be best for the bullshit police, would be something like this: they're getting IGZO ready for larger screens, and they ain't going to do it before.

He can't say anything about things like that, nor can he just come out and say "we're not going to use OLED trash screens to save on battery life."

So yes, he was dissembling on two counts. But it's not bullshit, it's exactly the way you want the CEO to handle it. If people can't read between the lines and figure it out, that's their problem.
Edited by Flaneur - 6/22/13 at 9:30am
post #40 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


Keep Both. That's like saying who would you keep: your mom or your dad.


Oh it really would take an Apple fanatic to equate one's parents to two company executives.  It's not 'like' at all.

 

It was simply a binary choice question.  Like flipping a coin, you don't get to choose both.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Cook incentivizes his 1M restricted stock unit payout as top brass net $86.5M in share selloff