or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Editorial: iOS 7 shows how Apple is leading mobile computing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Editorial: iOS 7 shows how Apple is leading mobile computing - Page 5

post #161 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoissea View Post

This article is a biased piece of garbage. What a waste of my time.

And you registering for this one troll post is a waste of our time.

post #162 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsocolt View Post

I'm sorry there guy, that is a delusional piece of journalism!
You need to look at the real world and how you Iconic company you so odvously worship has fallen Way behind its competitors !! Take there half ass attempt at a larger screen !! Turn your I phone 5 sideways use it's own camera and you have a picture that doesn't even fit the screen! HUGE FAIL!!
A desperate attempt to release a candy colored interface that's using interface adaptations from everyone, filters , parallax a STILL Unfinished Maps , Siri that's so slow in its response makes it useless..
Oh and the public just can't wait for the brand new Plastic iPhone 5S. ( guess going green isn't that important anymore ) all with that same size Usless longer screen! Face the facts .. This is not your Steve Jobs Apple anymore ! This is a company that's clearly lost its way Again , Even ask The Waz.

The next time you decide to do a pice on Apple try to make it at lease sound like you don't kneel down before a framed picture of an Apple on a pedestal and chant , they'll see , they'll see !

Sorry but you just sounded bitter through that entire article it was tough not to feel sorry for you.

Another register for single anti apple post shill/troll, and its Woz for Wozniak not Waz.

post #163 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Steve is nothing. Steve wasn't a designer, Steve wasn't an engineer. Steve was a big child that wanted things like "that" and was smart enough to surround himself with the best professionals in the world, the ones that could make his wishes a reality.

 

They learned what Steve had to teach, they grow and they became better.

 

Do you even know who Jony Ive is? A much more talented man than Steve could hope to be. And I (and the world, soon enough) think that his approach is the right one.

 

Apple has learned, and is better than ever.

One of the most uncanny abilities Jobs Ever had was to find super brilliant people, Ive being one of the best.

post #164 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


What, via battery life? I don't think so.

This is a little known secret of iOS and OS X vs all the competitors.  Apple OSs are more efficient.  Appple has taken advantage by making its product thinner and lighter instead of lasting longer. But mobile computing makes lasting longer more important to users.  

post #165 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

"then (IBM) with its PowerPC chip initiative that breathed its last gasp of PC air in 2005"

Wasn't Apple also a major part of that PowerPC initiative?

The "Last Gasp of Air" he was referring to was apple dropping the PPC in 2005.  Basically the last mainstream desktop computer to use the PPC.  Which was the G5.  Apple then changed over to Intel for all of its desktops.

post #166 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedidiaLongtree View Post

iOS is pretty much dead with the release of the 7th version. They need to put Scott Forstall back in charge. The sooner they realize that , the better.

Another Oh lets register so I can make a single negative post for my first post, troll/shill.

post #167 of 299
"The WinTel partners erected substantial barriers to entry that ensured nobody else could directly compete in PCs. This arrangement only ended when the complacency and lack of competitive advancement by Intel and Microsoft reached a point where both parties failed to recognize and actively address the emergence of mobile computing."

Lack of competitive advancement defines exactly what Apple has done with iOS up to now. It's not innovating anymore, just playing catch-up. You can safely compare iOS to Windows XP and think of all of its iterations up to version 6 as "Service Packs". Now with iOS7 they are finally doing something different but what remains to be seen is if iOS7 will be Apple's "Vista" failure or "Windows 7" success. Like Microsoft, Apple stopped innovating while trying to cash on its market leadership.

Say what you want about Google but their rate and pace of innovation on Android surpassed iOS by far in the last couple of years. There's not a single feature on iOS7 that sets it apart from the already existing ones from its competitors operating systems. All the way back from 2007 to 2010 you couldn't say the same... Apple was always ahead of the competition, unfortunately not anymore.
post #168 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoissea View Post

This article is a biased piece of garbage. What a waste of my time.

I'm sure you just love a good Apple bashing article.  GOOOOOO Google!!!!!!!  You're on the wrong site.

post #169 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

And you registering for this one troll post is a waste of our time.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

Another register for single anti apple post shill/troll, and its Woz for Wozniak not Waz.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

Another Oh lets register so I can make a single negative post for my first post, troll/shill.

who are you? local constable 1biggrin.gif

 

I say what I think and I dont like what "new" Apple has done to iOS. 

post #170 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt56 View Post


Say what you want about Google but their rate and pace of innovation on Android surpassed iOS by far in the last couple of years. There's not a single feature on iOS7 that sets it apart from the already existing ones from its competitors operating systems. All the way back from 2007 to 2010 you couldn't say the same... Apple was always ahead of the competition, unfortunately not anymore.

Doing something first doesn't mean that it was done right. The iPhone didn't do anything "new" when it was released either.
post #171 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedidiaLongtree View Post


who are you? local constable 1biggrin.gif


I say what I think and I dont like what "new" Apple has done to iOS. 

No problem, but we're just going to laugh at you for being a Forstall worshiper and proclaiming iOS 7 "dead" without ever using it.
post #172 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Very well described.  However, I think here is an advantage that Apple should exploit.  Instead of making the 5S as thin as 5, Apple should increase its battery life to 12 hours.  Then Apple will silence a lot of the bashings from the media I truly believe.  

 

So this is the problem I have with "the media" bashing Apple: are they customers to just a cabal of self-appointed tastemakers who try to come between Apple and their (real) customers? If you had said it was Apple's customers who were complaining about battery life (and they really were), it would be different.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #173 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post


No problem, but we're just going to laugh at you for being a Forstall worshiper and proclaiming iOS 7 "dead" without ever using it.

I'm not his worshiper but the guy could deliver. He did a decent job as the single head of iOS software. We'll see if this Ive/Federighi hybrid can do better.

post #174 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt56 View Post

"The WinTel partners erected substantial barriers to entry that ensured nobody else could directly compete in PCs. This arrangement only ended when the complacency and lack of competitive advancement by Intel and Microsoft reached a point where both parties failed to recognize and actively address the emergence of mobile computing."

Lack of competitive advancement defines exactly what Apple has done with iOS up to now. It's not innovating anymore, just playing catch-up. You can safely compare iOS to Windows XP and think of all of its iterations up to version 6 as "Service Packs". Now with iOS7 they are finally doing something different but what remains to be seen is if iOS7 will be Apple's "Vista" failure or "Windows 7" success. Like Microsoft, Apple stopped innovating while trying to cash on its market leadership.

Say what you want about Google but their rate and pace of innovation on Android surpassed iOS by far in the last couple of years. There's not a single feature on iOS7 that sets it apart from the already existing ones from its competitors operating systems. All the way back from 2007 to 2010 you couldn't say the same... Apple was always ahead of the competition, unfortunately not anymore.

It's silly to claim that iOS 2-6 were "service packs." They defeated Symbian, Blackberry, PalmOS, webOS and Windows Mobile before Android even started really selling.

Android 2.x was far behind the original iOS in terms of UX technology, a fix Google tried to make throughout 2011 but only applied to tablets, leaving smartphones rotting on the vine until Android 4.0. And despite catching up, Androids big feature was NFC & Wallet, a hugely disappointing failure.

Android has no successful equivalent to GameCenter, Passbook, Newsstand, iWorks/iLife apps, it is missing APIs for everything from enterprise security to gaming, and besides filling in for symbian&Linux/Java as the OS that powers volume sales of low end phones, it doesn't have any valuable market segments or applications under its belt.

Please comment on the great technical strides Android has achieved. The biggest features of the last 4.x releases have not been anything novel nor blockbuster. What do you see that's exciting?

Sounds like you're just confidently blowing hot air. For starters, Wikipedia does an ok job of detailing what was new in each iOS and Android release. Try listing why you say iOS is not impressive and Android is, even if we assume that more than a third of the installed base is actually using a modern version of Android.
post #175 of 299
Thanks for the editorials. It's about time someone is cutting through the bullshit in the media. I love it!
post #176 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

This is a little known secret of iOS and OS X vs all the competitors.  Apple OSs are more efficient.  Appple has taken advantage by making its product thinner and lighter instead of lasting longer. But mobile computing makes lasting longer more important to users.  

It is very funny that for thousands of years advancement in telecommunications meant decreased size and weight. Samsung has convinced a circus of fools to believe otherwise.
post #177 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post


It's silly to claim that iOS 2-6 were "service packs." They defeated Symbian, Blackberry, PalmOS, webOS and Windows Mobile before Android even started really selling.

Android 2.x was far behind the original iOS in terms of UX technology, a fix Google tried to make throughout 2011 but only applied to tablets, leaving smartphones rotting on the vine until Android 4.0. And despite catching up, Androids big feature was NFC & Wallet, a hugely disappointing failure.

Android has no successful equivalent to GameCenter, Passbook, Newsstand, iWorks/iLife apps, it is missing APIs for everything from enterprise security to gaming, and besides filling in for symbian&Linux/Java as the OS that powers volume sales of low end phones, it doesn't have any valuable market segments or applications under its belt.

Please comment on the great technical strides Android has achieved. The biggest features of the last 4.x releases have not been anything novel nor blockbuster. What do you see that's exciting?

Sounds like you're just confidently blowing hot air. For starters, Wikipedia does an ok job of detailing what was new in each iOS and Android release. Try listing why you say iOS is not impressive and Android is, even if we assume that more than a third of the installed base is actually using a modern version of Android.

 

Sure, I agree with several of you points but none of them actually go against what I said. As I mentioned, from 2007 to 2010 Apple was ahead of the competition: they did defeat Symbian, Blackberry, PalmOS, webOS and Windows Mobile back then and I never said otherwise.

 

I compared iOS to Windows XP simply because both were hugely successful operating systems mostly unchanged since their release. iOS added under the hood features like copy and paste, multitasking, the notification shade, Siri, etc on the various point releases. Incremental and evolutionary features at best but no real revolutionary change on the operating system itself like we're seeing on iOS7. This picture says it all: http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18qqon8g6fucwjpg/xlarge.jpg

 

I have an iPhone as my daily driver and also have an iPad but honestly have been very disappointed in the last couple of years with the lack of innovation. I don't want to compare APIs or fragmentation or specific apps on android or iOS. You're missing the point. I'm not sure about the great technical strides Google has achieved with Android. All I know is all new features on iOS7 were already in place on the latest release of Android from almost 1 year ago. Google was copying iOS features back in the first version of Android and now they are dictating the changes. That's all I'm saying. And still in this day and age, despite all the new features on iOS7, I cannot have mailbox as my default e-mail client or open links in another browser not called Safari...

post #178 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

One of the most uncanny abilities Jobs Ever had was to find super brilliant people, Ive being one of the best.
But Steve didn't hire him, so really we should be thanking Robert Brunner. 1smile.gif
post #179 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedidiaLongtree View Post

I'm not his worshiper but the guy could deliver. He did a decent job as the single head of iOS software. We'll see if this Ive/Federighi hybrid can do better.
Yeah maps was such a great product. And I love my quick access to common settings in iOS 6. 1rolleyes.gif

Forstall delivered the App Store (very big deal) but after that I get the sense he was coasting. Or not sure what to do. I mean one of the big features he highlighted last year was Siri providing sports scores. Seriously?!?
post #180 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

You may be right about MS. The designs of Android and WP8 make more sense if you think of the OS as primarily an information hub and secondly a vehicle for launching apps. Widgets and live-tiles are not such absurd ideas if your first priority is to deliver relevant data to the user as efficiently as possible. For example, presenting the weather or the next appointment on the home screen saves the user from having to dig into dedicated apps for the information. Google seems to subscribe to this "information first" philosophy as evidenced by its effort on products like Google Now, and by its design of android, which reserves the homescreen mainly for information (in the form of widgets) while storing most apps in the app drawer.
But isn't that what we're starting to get in notification center? I still don't think widgets are necessarily more efficient. Maybe if you just have one or two. But when you have the mess that is Windows 8 live tiles how do you easily and efficiently follow all those updating tiles? And outside of a weather widget how much information do they really show you? Certainly not enough where you wouldn't have to launch the app anyway.
post #181 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by djr12 View Post

And certainly much of this UI isn't hard to copy. For kicks, I recreated the Mail mailbox screen in 20 minutes using nothing but Microsoft Word.
You really should try to get out more.

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #182 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

I am relaxed. I just said that on 4/4S it's unsuabale.
I see where you're coming from. I've been running it on a 4 and am disappointed by what I see (and don't see) in beta 1. That thick, gray bar behind the bottom icons is ugly as hell. The transparency effects, even though they are simplistic on the 4, are horrible. Scrolling through lists such as in calendar and contacts is choppy at best. It freezes and cuts out randomly. Even though a lot of visual elements have been removed for the iPhone 4, it's still a sluggish beast. But, I keep in mind that its a beta product and I actually like a lot of the added features. I'm holding onto hope that it will improve to the point of being incredible even on a 4.
post #183 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedidiaLongtree View Post

iOS is pretty much dead with the release of the 7th version. They need to put Scott Forstall back in charge. The sooner they realize that , the better.
Nice first post Mr. Forstall.
1wink.gif

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #184 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedidiaLongtree View Post

iOS is pretty much dead with the release of the 7th version. They need to put Scott Forstall back in charge. The sooner they realize that , the better.
Jony Ive's reaction after reading your post:

2k1qoo.jpg
post #185 of 299
The thing with Helvetica. Actually the system font on iOS has always been Helvetica from the start of iPhone OS, (remember that one?). The thing with Helvetica Neue, especially with the Ultra Light version is that it is so thin, that even on Retina Display it looks broken and uneven. While it has been my favorite font for a long time, it was practically unusable on anything but print.

But with the new technology introduced in iOS 7, Apple has done an incredible amount of work at the font rendering level to actually thicken the stems and adjust the inter character gaps to make Helvetica Neue Ultra light look as sexy no matter what size and weight you choose.

If this isn't innovation, I am sorry, I really don't know what is. Being the first one to pick a thin font, without paying due attention to real typographic issues is really half-assed at best. If Apple were merely copying, or rather re-copying from others, as this article suggests, and one of the commenters had objection to, they could have simply changed the system font to Ultra Light and left it at that. Apple already licenses the whole font family. Why go to the trouble to try and make it look perfect at any size and weight? Doing it because now you can do justice to it by means of hardware improvements and system level changes, while providing those advancements to all app developers... that is something altogether different.

And dynamic type is just one of those incredibly cool things in iOS 7...
post #186 of 299
For those complaining about battery life on iOS7, please be aware all debugs are active hence the increased battery usage.

iOS "Beta" is for developers to test apps on, not really for use as a daily driver.

Measure twice cut once.
post #187 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by crushed View Post

And dynamic type is just one of those incredibly cool things in iOS 7...

Yes, the dynamic type impressed me a lot in the WWDC videos.

post #188 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt56 View Post

"The WinTel partners erected substantial barriers to entry that ensured nobody else could directly compete in PCs. This arrangement only ended when the complacency and lack of competitive advancement by Intel and Microsoft reached a point where both parties failed to recognize and actively address the emergence of mobile computing."

Lack of competitive advancement defines exactly what Apple has done with iOS up to now. It's not innovating anymore, just playing catch-up. You can safely compare iOS to Windows XP and think of all of its iterations up to version 6 as "Service Packs". Now with iOS7 they are finally doing something different but what remains to be seen is if iOS7 will be Apple's "Vista" failure or "Windows 7" success. Like Microsoft, Apple stopped innovating while trying to cash on its market leadership.

Say what you want about Google but their rate and pace of innovation on Android surpassed iOS by far in the last couple of years. There's not a single feature on iOS7 that sets it apart from the already existing ones from its competitors operating systems. All the way back from 2007 to 2010 you couldn't say the same... Apple was always ahead of the competition, unfortunately not anymore.

 

Things change and this is called "a process". Unfortunately, you don't get it. You fail to grasp that technology/product/product niche/... can happen only once in a while and Apple is holding the record for last decade and half in such breakthroughs. Time in-between is always spent by everyone to enhance products and services, which you call cashing in. Let it be. I don't mind.

 

Apple cannot reinvent the wheel in smartphone area, but what they are doing for sure is bringing the best integrated experience to the user, making them possible to make the best out of their investments. Whether it takes innovation to do this or not is matter of taste, however, talking about Apple to stop innovating while having no clue at all what their next product will be is speculative, naive or even trolling. 

 

THe question I always ask the people claiming how innovative Google is which never gets any real answer except counting some minor standard app integrated in Android thus killing better 3rd party apps: can someone really tell me where is Google so innovative? Maps, Drive, Plus, Mail, Books, Docs, maybe? Something else drastically new no one else has had before as a finished product? What, then?  How does Apple lag behind this?


Edited by poksi - 6/24/13 at 1:46am
post #189 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by enature View Post

For Steve Jobs, "the best" had a simple meaning - the best product is the one that takes the least effort to use. The Principle of Least Effort was inseparable from Steve Jobs.

 

Cook, on the other hand, complicates the definition of "the best" by adding considerations that he himself is good at - production logistics, cost/profit analysis, supply chain considerations. 

Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

 

Hunh?  .... how were you ever able to deduce what Tim Cook's thinking is on the matter?  Were you able to glean some hidden meaning from the keynote presentations?  

You asked a fair question. I'll answer by disecting one of Cook's recent responses. When Walt Mossberg from WSJ asked Cook about iPhone's screen size - a critical issue that largely led to the downfall of AAPL - Cook said the following:  
 
"A large screen today comes with a lot of tradeoffs. Customers are clearly looking at the size, but they also look at things like 'do the photos show the proper color? The white balance, the reflectivity, battery life. The longevity of the display.'"
 
I hope I do not need to explain to you why this "white balance, the reflectivity" comment is - as one Apple Insider forum member justly called it - "pure unadulterated bullshit."
 
What Cook was actually doing is covering up his decision to go with small 4" size. He knew that 4" was the most convenient choice logistically - that's what his spreadsheets showed. In fact, many rushed to defend Cook by explaining how 4" was the best choice considering the production contracts Apple had at the time with screen manufacturers, and that Jobs himself approved 4" back in 2010. This is typical Tim Cook - trying to be safe by accounting for many things, including profits, but overlooking the most important one - WILL SMALL SCREEN BE EASIER TO INTERACT WITH in 2012?
 
By early 2012, it was clear to any perceptive person who ventured outside of the US that a larger screen is the future. Larger size makes it EASIER to accomplish most tasks - aside from talking, which people started to do less and less in 2012. Asians, for example started to switch to phablets by the end of 2011.
 
Jobs, who never gave a shit to what he said or approved beforehand, would move mountains, force engineers to make impossible, but he would make sure that iPhone 5 had a screen size that made it the easiest in use smartphone on the market. 
 
Jobs had both vision and balls to do it. Cook has neither. 
post #190 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt56 View Post

"The WinTel partners erected substantial barriers to entry that ensured nobody else could directly compete in PCs. This arrangement only ended when the complacency and lack of competitive advancement by Intel and Microsoft reached a point where both parties failed to recognize and actively address the emergence of mobile computing."

Lack of competitive advancement defines exactly what Apple has done with iOS up to now. It's not innovating anymore, just playing catch-up. You can safely compare iOS to Windows XP and think of all of its iterations up to version 6 as "Service Packs". Now with iOS7 they are finally doing something different but what remains to be seen is if iOS7 will be Apple's "Vista" failure or "Windows 7" success. Like Microsoft, Apple stopped innovating while trying to cash on its market leadership.

Say what you want about Google but their rate and pace of innovation on Android surpassed iOS by far in the last couple of years. There's not a single feature on iOS7 that sets it apart from the already existing ones from its competitors operating systems. All the way back from 2007 to 2010 you couldn't say the same... Apple was always ahead of the competition, unfortunately not anymore.

I say it's the opposite.

post #191 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by enature View Post

Unlike Cook zealots, you asked a fair question. I'll answer by disecting one of Cook's recent responses. When Walt Mossberg from WSJ asked Cook about iPhone's screen size - a critical issue that largely led to the downfall of AAPL - Cook said the following:  
 
"A large screen today comes with a lot of tradeoffs. Customers are clearly looking at the size, but they also look at things like 'do the photos show the proper color? The white balance, the reflectivity, battery life. The longevity of the display.'"
 
I hope I do not need to explain to you why this "white balance, the reflectivity" comment is - as one Apple Insider forum member justly called it - "pure unadulterated bullshit."
 
What Cook was actually doing is covering up his decision to go with small 4" size. He knew that 4" was the most convenient choice logistically - that's what his spreadsheets showed. In fact, many Cook zealots rushed to defend Cook by explaining how 4" was the best choice considering the production contracts Apple had at the time with screen manufacturers, and that Jobs himself approved 4" back in 2010. This is typical Tim Cook - trying to be safe by accounting for many things, including profits, but overlooking the most important one - WILL SMALL SCREEN BE EASIER TO INTERACT WITH in 2012?
 
By early 2012, it was clear to any perceptive person who ventured outside of the US that a larger screen is the future. Larger size makes it EASIER to accomplish most tasks - aside from talking, which people started to do less and less in 2012. Asians, for example started to switch to phablets by the end of 2011.
 
Jobs, who never gave a shit to what he said or approved beforehand, would move mountains, force engineers to make impossible, but he would make sure that iPhone 5 had a screen size that made it the easiest in use smartphone on the market. 
 
Jobs had both vision and balls to do it. Cook has neither. 

 

Cook and perhaps many other (rivalry between Forstall and Ive has surely contributed as well) people and factors made the situation where Apple simply hasn't reacted properly to swift change of market perception. However, your perception, or better said black&white imaging of Steve and Tim is also wrong.

 

Single screen size was clearly Steve's choice, I am pretty much sure he started to think like back in 80's about Mac, refusing expansion of product line. Crucial and perhaps most fateful decision was introduction of retina screen to 3.5" 4S. This has set the barrier for doubling the screen resolution format and follow Apple's logic of screen format computation very high. So high, that enlarging the screen size in 2012 was made almost impossible through "classical" Apple upgrade logic. 4" screen size was very much obvious emergency exit, act of buying time.

 

I believe management found out that further doubling the dpi is very hard and useless and I strongly believe there is 3rd screen resolution platform on the way, I am pretty much sure Auto Layouts are not being pushed only for Dynamic Types, but also to accomodate different screen sizes, at least for some parts of applications.

 

Yes, Apple has failed to recognize the importance of screen size and yes, I can see Apple loosing market share in premium range in Europe dramatically mainly because of screen size, but I see responsibility of Cook in a totally different light: he had most probably relied too much on Steve'S prediction. Steve's prediction here as wrong. Wouldn't be for the first time.  

 

I would also say that Cook should foresee such problems and make plan B far back, supporting 3rd screen resolution format, which I find actually as mistake of the board and I am pretty much sure it had a lot to do with Forstall's demise.

 

Still, I have no doubt Apple will come back with models that suit the market and I am pretty much sure they havbe learned the valuable lesson.

post #192 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElectricChairRepairman View Post

 

Actually, swiping down from the entire screen space between the Dock and the top edge of screen activates the Spotlight search in iOS 7. That's about the same amount of space one would swipe right on iOS 6. Contextually and in terms of UI, it's actually more consistent. You'd swipe down similarly from that screen space to get search in Mail, Notes, Music app, Videos app, iTunes U (more or less), and similar apps where Search is not a prominent feature. Swipe down from middle of screen when you need to search in Spotlight instead of swiping right. You could still swipe down to from top edge of screen to get Notification Center while Spotlight is active. I dare say, it's actually better.

 

I actually rarely swipe right for spotlight as a button press from the first page goes to spotlight. So I just press the button twice to get to spotlight. Does anyone know if this functionality is still present in iOS7 ?
post #193 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

Cook and perhaps many other (rivalry between Forstall and Ive has surely contributed as well) people and factors made the situation where Apple simply hasn't reacted properly to swift change of market perception. However, your perception, or better said black&white imaging of Steve and Tim is also wrong.

Single screen size was clearly Steve's choice, I am pretty much sure he started to think like back in 80's about Mac, refusing expansion of product line. Crucial and perhaps most fateful decision was introduction of retina screen to 3.5" 4S. This has set the barrier for doubling the screen resolution format and follow Apple's logic of screen format computation very high. So high, that enlarging the screen size in 2012 was made almost impossible through "classical" Apple upgrade logic. 4" screen size was very much obvious emergency exit, act of buying time.

I believe management found out that further doubling the dpi is very hard and useless and I strongly believe there is 3rd screen resolution platform on the way, I am pretty much sure Auto Layouts are not being pushed only for Dynamic Types, but also to accomodate different screen sizes, at least for some parts of applications.

Yes, Apple has failed to recognize the importance of screen size and yes, I can see Apple loosing market share in premium range in Europe dramatically mainly because of screen size, but I see responsibility of Cook in a totally different light: he had most probably relied too much on Steve'S prediction. Steve's prediction here as wrong. Wouldn't be for the first time.  

I would also say that Cook should foresee such problems and make plan B far back, supporting 3rd screen resolution format, which I find actually as mistake of the board and I am pretty much sure it had a lot to do with Forstall's demise.

Still, I have no doubt Apple will come back with models that suit the market and I am pretty much sure they havbe learned the valuable lesson.
I'd love to see the hard, factual evidence that Apple is in a world of hurt because the iPhone doesn't have a bigger screen. On the last earnings call Cook commented on how well the 4 and 4S were selling. The rumors we're hearing now is Samsung is cutting part orders because the S4 isn't selling as well as expected. I certainly won't be surprised if Apple does introduce a larger screen phone but I also think in some respects the S4s of the world are more of a fad and people will start demanding smaller sizes again. That's probably why you have the S4 mini and HTC doing a One mini.
post #194 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


I'd love to see the hard, factual evidence that Apple is in a world of hurt because the iPhone doesn't have a bigger screen. On the last earnings call Cook commented on how well the 4 and 4S were selling. The rumors we're hearing now is Samsung is cutting part orders because the S4 isn't selling as well as expected. I certainly won't be surprised if Apple does introduce a larger screen phone but I also think in some respects the S4s of the world are more of a fad and people will start demanding smaller sizes again. That's probably why you have the S4 mini and HTC doing a One mini.

 

Well, I see no better evidence than selling numbers of S3 and S4. Knowing and seeing every day what kind of crap it is compared to iPhone I see no other strong reason for people to buy it except for the screen size. There are also some other competitors in premium class and they all have larger screen. Sales of iPhone is of course strong, but for other reasons. It' actually opposite: while Android competitors are selling mainly for the screen size, iPhone is NOT selling for the screen size, but mainly because of everything else. I predict Apple will release larger iPhone and you will see it will become better sold than 4" at once. Same as iPad mini over iPad.

 

I may be wrong, but then, let me somebody explain the phenomena or relatively good selling of larger and also expensive android phones? Apple hater, people persuaded by some telco sales personnel and some other minor groups simply don't account for all of this sales...

 

 

Furthermore, marketing and product roadmaps are not made on base of factual evidence. It is same about sales factors and influence. There is nothing hard about it, it is all about soft factors and predictions that count... 


Edited by poksi - 6/24/13 at 4:45am
post #195 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


I'd love to see the hard, factual evidence that Apple is in a world of hurt because the iPhone doesn't have a bigger screen. On the last earnings call Cook commented on how well the 4 and 4S were selling. The rumors we're hearing now is Samsung is cutting part orders because the S4 isn't selling as well as expected. I certainly won't be surprised if Apple does introduce a larger screen phone but I also think in some respects the S4s of the world are more of a fad and people will start demanding smaller sizes again. That's probably why you have the S4 mini and HTC doing a One mini.

Apple is in the world of hurt because they're consuming 70% profit of the mobile phone market. I really want to be hurt like that everyday.

post #196 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Apple is in the world of hurt because they're consuming 70% profit of the mobile phone market. I really want to be hurt like that everyday.

 

Apple is not hurt. But this number is falling, of course. The problem is it is falling almost exclusively on account on one competitor. Competitor that has clearly worse products, no real DNA, but still taking over market share and profits share. Don't be naive and think Apple's management doesn't realize that and that they don't know they haven't responded properly. Yet. Product pipeline in the fall will confirm my words. 

post #197 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Apple is in the world of hurt because they're consuming 70% profit of the mobile phone market. I really want to be hurt like that everyday.

 

 

For Q1 2013, Apple is down to 57%, with Samsung rising to 41%.

 

post #198 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by enature View Post

Jobs, who never gave a shit to what he said or approved beforehand, would move mountains, force engineers to make impossible, but he would make sure that iPhone 5 had a screen size that made it the easiest in use smartphone on the market. 

Drop it or prove it. No one cares about your individual personal opinion; larger phones don't sell better.
post #199 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

It is very funny that for thousands of years advancement in telecommunications meant decreased size and weight. Samsung has convinced a circus of fools to believe otherwise.

Then why did Apple go bigger for the iPhone 5 and not smaller?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #200 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Drop it or prove it. No one cares about your individual personal opinion; larger phones don't sell better.

They sure do....just look at the iPhone 5 versus the iPhone 4s...which one sold better in 2013?

Hint: the Iphone 5 which was bigger than the iPhone 4s........

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Editorial: iOS 7 shows how Apple is leading mobile computing