or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Editorial: iOS 7 shows how Apple is leading mobile computing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Editorial: iOS 7 shows how Apple is leading mobile computing - Page 6

post #201 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

Apple is not hurt. But this number is falling, of course. The problem is it is falling almost exclusively on account on one competitor. Competitor that has clearly worse products, no real DNA, but still taking over market share and profits share. Don't be naive and think Apple's management doesn't realize that and that they don't know they haven't responded properly. Yet. Product pipeline in the fall will confirm my words. 

Yes but the market has also grown considerably. While Apple had a bigger slice of a smaller pie that pie has gotten bigger so now percentage wise the slice is smaller but it's bigger than the previous slice. They're still outselling everyone by a large margin.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #202 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

They sure do....just look at the iPhone 5 versus the iPhone 4s...which one sold better in 2013?
Hint: the Iphone 5 which was bigger than the iPhone 4s........

C'mon even I know that's a BS argument, every new iPhone sold better than the previous model. It would've outsold the 4S regardless of screen size.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #203 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


C'mon even I know that's a BS argument, every new iPhone sold better than the previous model. It would've outsold the 4S regardless of screen size.

lol...that is true....I am stretching it....but my point was to show that the screen sizes are getting bigger even for Apple....

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #204 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

 

 

For Q1 2013, Apple is down to 57%, with Samsung rising to 41%.

 

 

Are we talking smartphone or mobile device market here?

post #205 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post


It is very funny that for thousands of years advancement in telecommunications meant decreased size and weight. Samsung has convinced a circus of fools to believe otherwise.

 

from 1999 my phones are getting bigger each year. never owned anything from samsung. what is your point? think, before you shoot....

post #206 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Yes but the market has also grown considerably. While Apple had a bigger slice of a smaller pie that pie has gotten bigger so now percentage wise the slice is smaller but it's bigger than the previous slice. They're still outselling everyone by a large margin.

 

Depends how you look at it. If you compare numbers as indicators it is not so bright. Apple still sells only in premium segment and others sell more than Apple. In quantity, of course. And trend is negative for Apple.

 

If Apple would have 4.6" iPhone today, Samsung would have to sell its plastic-fantastic S4 for at least 150$ cheaper loosing almost all profits. Even if such iPhone would not measure up to quality Apple is used to.

post #207 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

Depends how you look at it. If you compare numbers as indicators it is not so bright. Apple still sells only in premium segment and others sell more than Apple. In quantity, of course. And trend is negative for Apple.

If Apple would have 4.6" iPhone today, Samsung would have to sell its plastic-fantastic S4 for at least 150$ cheaper loosing almost all profits. Even if such iPhone would not measure up to quality Apple is used to.

The premium segment is where the money's at, and in which nobody's outselling Apple.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #208 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

 

 

For Q1 2013, Apple is down to 57%, with Samsung rising to 41%.

 

 

Are we talking smartphone or mobile device market here?

It says 'smartphone' in the table heading.

 

But the one quarter of data kdarling provides proves nothing (he is well-known in these parts for throwing in drive-by data of this sort, and pretending that he's providing 'empirical evidence'). It could very well have been the effect of a new model being introduced or some other unique factor.

 

It's probably far better to take a look at annual trends. If we did that, I doubt that Samsung is going to be anywhere close to 41% -- indeed, if the recent reports are to be believed, sales of S4 are coming in WAY less than forecast.

post #209 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'd love to see the hard, factual evidence that Apple is in a world of hurt because the iPhone doesn't have a bigger screen. 

How about $250 billions in losses in shareholder value... and counting. The losses started right after small-screen iPhone 5 hit the market and keep growing. Cook himself acknowledged that this is very frustrating to him. It should be. The losses under Cook overshadow the losses under Gil Amelio. In fact, it is hard to come up with any other company that had such extensive losses in recent memory.

 

Cook zealots can blame Wall Street shenanigans, trolls, and anybody else all they want. But back in 2012 it was already clear as day that Apple share price will fall drastically  because of Cook's gutless leadership. AAPL is still above $400 but I tell you - we will see $3XX price soon.

post #210 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt56 View Post

Sure, I agree with several of you points but none of them actually go against what I said. As I mentioned, from 2007 to 2010 Apple was ahead of the competition: they did defeat Symbian, Blackberry, PalmOS, webOS and Windows Mobile
 back then and I never said otherwise.

I compared iOS to Windows XP simply because both were hugely successful operating systems mostly unchanged since their release. iOS added under the hood features like copy and paste, multitasking, the notification shade, Siri, etc on the various point releases. Incremental and evolutionary features at best but no real revolutionary change on the operating system itself like we're seeing on iOS7. This picture says it all: http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18qqon8g6fucwjpg/xlarge.jpg

I have an iPhone as my daily driver and also have an iPad but honestly have been very disappointed in the last couple of years with the lack of innovation. I don't want to compare APIs or fragmentation or specific apps on android or iOS. You're missing the point. I'm not sure about the great technical strides Google has achieved with Android. All I know is all new features on iOS7 were already in place on the latest release of Android from almost 1 year ago. Google was copying iOS features back in the first version of Android and now they are dictating the changes. That's all I'm saying. And still in this day and age, despite all the new features on iOS7, I cannot have mailbox as my default e-mail client or open links in another browser not called Safari...

If you are defining OS/platform "innovation" as solely making major, cosmetic changes to the user interface, and particularly the appearance of the Home screen, then it explains your post.

You say APIs and functionality don't matter, all you care about is one or two specific features (that Android debuted because they favor Google's specific business model).

Of course you have no respect for iOS development! You don't recognize any real aspect of innovation.
post #211 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


The premium segment is where the money's at, and in which nobody's outselling Apple.

 

Should 4 and 4s be counted as premium models? Are you sure this is true globally? I have no doubt about leadership in USA. I am also sure Apple will prove soon there is money in mid segment as well. Even now I do not believe Samsung makes loss in mid segment.

post #212 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It says 'smartphone' in the table heading.

 

But the one quarter of data kdarling provides proves nothing (he is well-known in these parts for throwing in drive-by data of this sort, and pretending that he's providing 'empirical evidence'). It could very well have been the effect of a new model being introduced or some other unique factor.

 

It's probably far better to take a look at annual trends. If we did that, I doubt that Samsung is going to be anywhere close to 41% -- indeed, if the recent reports are to be believed, sales of S4 are coming in WAY less than forecast.

 

I have read the heading, my question was provocative. :D  I could believe in such or similar number if Samsung's semiconductors division were be included...and even then...

post #213 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by enature View Post

How about $250 billions in losses in shareholder value... and counting. The losses started right after small-screen iPhone 5 hit the market and keep growing. Cook himself acknowledged that this is very frustrating to him. It should be. The losses under Cook overshadow the losses under Gil Amelio. In fact, it is hard to come up with any other company that had such extensive losses in recent memory.

 

Cook zealots can blame Wall Street shenanigans, trolls, and anybody else all they want. But back in 2012 it was already clear as day that Apple share price will fall drastically  because of Cook's gutless leadership. AAPL is still above $400 but I tell you - we will see $3XX price soon.

 

your postings are full of bias. I'm counting the losses on AAPL as well but it would be very naive to believe what you are saying. Whatever Apple does or doesn't do, it is always punished most brutally. This has nothing to do with Tim Cook, this has happened before as well. However, you are saying that market has punished Apple so brutally on what? screen size? Why don't they punish Samsung on crappy sales of S4? Why did they swing GOOG from 750 to 450 and nov back to 900? Did they have Tim Cook as well?

 

Screen size was and still is a failure from Apple's size, but is very much minor to market valuation, so your story just doesn't stick, sorry...

post #214 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by enature View Post

Unlike Cook zealots, you asked a fair question. I'll answer by disecting one of Cook's recent responses. When Walt Mossberg from WSJ asked Cook about iPhone's screen size - a critical issue that largely led to the downfall of AAPL - Cook said the following:  

 
"A large screen today comes with a lot of tradeoffs. Customers are clearly looking at the size, but they also look at things like 'do the photos show the proper color? The white balance, the reflectivity, battery life. The longevity of the display.'"
 
I hope I do not need to explain to you why this "white balance, the reflectivity" comment is - as one Apple Insider forum member justly called it - "pure unadulterated bullshit."
 
What Cook was actually doing is covering up his decision to go with small 4" size. He knew that 4" was the most convenient choice logistically - that's what his spreadsheets showed. In fact, many Cook zealots rushed to defend Cook by explaining how 4" was the best choice considering the production contracts Apple had at the time with screen manufacturers, and that Jobs himself approved 4" back in 2010. This is typical Tim Cook - trying to be safe by accounting for many things, including profits, but overlooking the most important one - WILL SMALL SCREEN BE EASIER TO INTERACT WITH in 2012?
 
By early 2012, it was clear to any perceptive person who ventured outside of the US that a larger screen is the future. Larger size makes it EASIER to accomplish most tasks - aside from talking, which people started to do less and less in 2012. Asians, for example started to switch to phablets by the end of 2011.
 
Jobs, who never gave a shit to what he said or approved beforehand, would move mountains, force engineers to make impossible, but he would make sure that iPhone 5 had a screen size that made it the easiest in use smartphone on the market. 
 
Jobs had both vision and balls to do it. Cook has neither. 

In addition to vision and balls you also need to maintain a coherent strategy and possess the technology to enter a given market.

Two years ago, you could be banging your fist on the table that Apple was "failing" to release a 4G phone.

However, from both Google's stats and from IDC data in China, it's clear that big phones are only a market sales niche currently, just as 4G was back when Android phones held it as an exclusive feature.

Google has worked hard to make Android work on a range of hardware. Apple only needs iOS to work on one small set of hardware, so it can work more on other features.

That said, iOS 7 extends the pipeline of technology enabling larger future devices. If there is a significant market ahead for large screen phones, Apple will target it.

Recall that apple was not the first MP3 maker to release a HD-based model, nor flash memory, nor the first to play video. They just were in first place in delivering to the mainstream the products that earned the most money and pleased the most people the best.
post #215 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

But the one quarter of data kdarling provides proves nothing (he is well-known in these parts for throwing in drive-by data of this sort, and pretending that he's providing 'empirical evidence'). It could very well have been the effect of a new model being introduced or some other unique factor.

 

It's the latest quarter I could find info on.

 

It never ceases to amaze me how some people sit back and slam other people who actually do some research.

 

You're more than welcome to stop being lazy, and jump in with more... or any... data.

post #216 of 299
My big problem with the redesign of iOS 7 isn't how much or little they've copied from the Windows Phone or from Android. I could care less.

What bothers me is that they seem to have given zero thought into whether or not I can read the stuff on my phone. Helvetica Neue Ultra Light may be a gorgeous font, but it makes my eyes work too hard (particularly when they throw it up white on a light background). Then they've got blurry transparencies everywhere to go with the thin font.

It looks as though I'm going to have a pick a special background screen and arrange my apps just so if I ever want to use the Control Center. The whole thing needs contrast and some effort at making it readable.

I can accept the crappy icons and color scheme if they fix the other stuff.
post #217 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

For an Android user, it is unthinkable to have the phone in those same conditions and have more than 2h battery life, even on "high end" devices. Things like that are only a privilege to iPhone users, so when they complain that their phones only hold a charge during 8h, I laugh.

 

It's like people saying that the S4 and the note have much bigger batteries, so they have a much better battery life... Meanwhile the iPhone and iPad wins every test when both screens are on, and on extensive tasks there is no contest.

 

Apple is doing a great job with their mobile processors and batteries. The a6 was a marvel, the things that they manage to do with small batteries are great. Can't wait for the end of the year...

Great little story. To bad that you have no clue of what you are talking about.

post #218 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrzejls View Post

Great little story. To bad that you have no clue of what you are talking about.

What was difficult? I'll try to expound.
post #219 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

You're more than welcome to stop being lazy, and jump in with more... or any... data.

No data is better than "any" data.

post #220 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt56 View Post

And still in this day and age, despite all the new features on iOS7, I cannot have mailbox as my default e-mail client or open links in another browser not called Safari...


Yes, you can.
post #221 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by enature View Post

How about $250 billions in losses in shareholder value... and counting. The losses started right after small-screen iPhone 5 hit the market and keep growing. Cook himself acknowledged that this is very frustrating to him. It should be. The losses under Cook overshadow the losses under Gil Amelio. In fact, it is hard to come up with any other company that had such extensive losses in recent memory.


Cook zealots can blame Wall Street shenanigans, trolls, and anybody else all they want. But back in 2012 it was already clear as day that Apple share price will fall drastically  because of Cook's gutless leadership. AAPL is still above $400 but I tell you - we will see $3XX price soon.

Apple is doomed.
post #222 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lowell View Post

My big problem with the redesign of iOS 7 isn't how much or little they've copied from the Windows Phone or from Android. I could care less.

What bothers me is that they seem to have given zero thought into whether or not I can read the stuff on my phone. Helvetica Neue Ultra Light may be a gorgeous font, but it makes my eyes work too hard (particularly when they throw it up white on a light background). Then they've got blurry transparencies everywhere to go with the thin font.

It looks as though I'm going to have a pick a special background screen and arrange my apps just so if I ever want to use the Control Center. The whole thing needs contrast and some effort at making it readable.

I can accept the crappy icons and color scheme if they fix the other stuff.

Have you used it in person?
post #223 of 299

I'm very critical of Apple because my expectations hare high, after having seen what they are capable of for so long. However, I must say that Apple has always done 2 things well: They innovate new technology, and they take existing technologies and make them much better and much easier to use. Honestly, I don't like the look of much of iOS7. I don't like the neon saturated colors, particularly the blue that looks like the WinXP Luna theme has come back to haunt us some more. I also don't like the pure white screens. I'll leave final judgement for when its released, but I hope Apple is seriously listening to their fanbase and not the fanboy base. We're not all happy about what we see. Sometimes you need to shrug that off and move forward anyway, after all, Apple is a company that leads, but sometimes you have to listen to what your fanbase is saying and take it into consideration.

 

And, BTW, whoever said the market doesn't demand larger screens is clearly in denial. The Galaxy S4 is the biggest selling Android phone on the market for a reason. And...I think people are mistaken when they think Steve Jobs would have made a larger phone because Jobs has stated in the past that bigger phones are a mistake and that the iPhone was made that size for a reason. But, just like his refusal to change the original Mac, it grew antiquated with stagnation. There were plenty of affordable PC's with 15" monitors with color that were cheap within just a couple of years of the Mac's launch and Apple took forever to address that market. They fell way behind holding on to yesterday's sensation. The iMac just took an old idea and combined it with updated tech.


Edited by ruel24 - 6/24/13 at 12:21pm
post #224 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Drop it or prove it. No one cares about your individual personal opinion; larger phones don't sell better.

A few specific models from a particular manufacturer have sold well based on an Advertising and Marketing budget that overshadows the rest of the competition combined.
post #225 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

The Galaxy S4 is the biggest selling Android phone on the market for a reason.

Yeah, channel stuffing. And Apple still sells more iPhones.
post #226 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

It's the latest quarter I could find info on.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people sit back and slam other people who actually do some research.


You're more than welcome to stop being lazy, and jump in with more... or any... data.

You well know that cherry picking data is one of the oldest ways of using numbers to "lie". Politicians do it all the time.

In this case, it's been well established for quite a while that Apple takes in over 2/3rds of the mobile profits. If you're going to discredit that, the burden of proof should rest on you I'd reckon, and as was mentioned, more than one quarter should be cited to show a trend. Especially since Samsung is far from the picture of transparency, and who knows what is considered a "smartphone" to them.
post #227 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

from 1999 my phones are getting bigger each year. never owned anything from samsung. what is your point? think, before you shoot....

One model from one manufacturer as comparison to a phone that offers significantly more functionality? Really? Hahaha.
post #228 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Yeah, channel stuffing. And Apple still sells more iPhones.

 

That's comparing Apple's and oranges. If you compare Android phones, the Galaxy S4 is the biggest seller. Size does matter, to a point. Obviously the Note 3 isn't selling more than the S4. If Apple does come out with one larger and the current size, concurrently, you'll see the larger one outsell the current size. I guarantee it.

post #229 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

That's comparing Apple's and oranges.

No, it's getting to the crux of the actual argument. 1oyvey.gif
Quote:
...biggest seller.

So many jokes to make.
Quote:
If Apple does come out with one larger and the current size, concurrently, you'll see the larger one outsell the current size. I guarantee it.

Be... cause it will be the newest phone. Just like every other generation.
post #230 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lowell View Post

My big problem with the redesign of iOS 7 isn't how much or little they've copied from the Windows Phone or from Android. I could care less.

What bothers me is that they seem to have given zero thought into whether or not I can read the stuff on my phone. Helvetica Neue Ultra Light may be a gorgeous font, but it makes my eyes work too hard (particularly when they throw it up white on a light background). Then they've got blurry transparencies everywhere to go with the thin font.

It looks as though I'm going to have a pick a special background screen and arrange my apps just so if I ever want to use the Control Center. The whole thing needs contrast and some effort at making it readable.

I can accept the crappy icons and color scheme if they fix the other stuff.


There are several settings that improve the visibility of the UI considerably.
post #231 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

That's comparing Apple's and oranges. If you compare Android phones, the Galaxy S4 is the biggest seller. Size does matter, to a point. Obviously the Note 3 isn't selling more than the S4. If Apple does come out with one larger and the current size, concurrently, you'll see the larger one outsell the current size. I guarantee it.

The Note 3 isn't selling well because it doesn't exist.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #232 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by enature View Post

I hope I do not need to explain to you why this "white balance, the reflectivity" comment is - as one Apple Insider forum member justly called it - "pure unadulterated bullshit."
 
What Cook was actually doing is covering up his decision to go with small 4" size. He knew that 4" was the most convenient choice logistically - that's what his spreadsheets showed. In fact, many Cook zealots rushed to defend Cook by explaining how 4" was the best choice considering the production contracts Apple had at the time with screen manufacturers, and that Jobs himself approved 4" back in 2010. This is typical Tim Cook - trying to be safe by accounting for many things, including profits, but overlooking the most important one - WILL SMALL SCREEN BE EASIER TO INTERACT WITH in 2012?
 
(rest of post omitted) 

I just don't get this faction of people who seem to focus their anger on Tim Cook, because they think Apple should listen to them. Apple makes things for the markets they serve: they are not your personal electronics design studio. Some forum posters try to state this in terms of Apple's competitiveness ("Apple is falling behind Samsung! OMG OMG OMG") as if they would be ashamed to buy a phone from the loser in the Great Screen Size Wars. It's simple: this is a market and we are consumers. We get to make a choice about how we spend our money. And that's it. If 4 inches is too small for you, buy a Phablet. That's how this works.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #233 of 299
Awesome article. Puts all my doubts about how Apple will perform to rest. Thanks Dan for such a great article. Today Apple stock was down (again!) apparently for no reason at all. Your article made me stop thoughts of selling the Apple stock which I personally own :-). Cheers!
post #234 of 299
Quote:

Apple cannot reinvent the wheel in smartphone area, but what they are doing for sure is bringing the best integrated experience to the user, making them possible to make the best out of their investments. Whether it takes innovation to do this or not is matter of taste, however, talking about Apple to stop innovating while having no clue at all what their next product will be is speculative, naive or even trolling. 

 

THe question I always ask the people claiming how innovative Google is which never gets any real answer except counting some minor standard app integrated in Android thus killing better 3rd party apps: can someone really tell me where is Google so innovative? Maps, Drive, Plus, Mail, Books, Docs, maybe? Something else drastically new no one else has had before as a finished product? What, then?  How does Apple lag behind this?

 

First of all, I'd like to make it clear I'm not an android user and I don't have any Google device for now. I'm just using Google as an example but I'll answer your question with "Google Glass" anyway. Innovative enough? Nevertheless it's funny you mentioning minor standard apps integrated in the OS killing better 3rd party apps. This is my major complaining about iOS!! Why can't I decide if I want to use 3rd party apps as defaults or not?

 

Talking about integrated user experience is also a debatable matter of taste. All ecosystems have pros and conns be it Google, Amazon, Microsoft Live or Apple/iCloud. It depends if you want (or are forced) to put all eggs in one basket or not. Apple does have the best integrated experience if all you have are apple products. If you don't or even if you mix and match products from different ecosystems, good luck having the "best" integrated experience.

 

Maybe you're right about me judging Apple without having no clue about their next product. I guess you do? I've been waiting at least 3 years for them to surprise me again with a new product like they used to in the past. They were not afraid of pushing the envelope back when they released the iPhone, the iPad or even the macbook air. They just got comfortable and it shows on their latest products. How come we haven't had a Haswell macbook air with retina display and touchscreen this year? Maybe the iPad mini with old technology based on the iPad 2 is the next product you're talking about?


Edited by grunt57 - 6/24/13 at 5:07pm
post #235 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post


If you are defining OS/platform "innovation" as solely making major, cosmetic changes to the user interface, and particularly the appearance of the Home screen, then it explains your post.

You say APIs and functionality don't matter, all you care about is one or two specific features (that Android debuted because they favor Google's specific business model).

Of course you have no respect for iOS development! You don't recognize any real aspect of innovation.

 

I just want to make clear I'm not an android user. I have always used all iPhone models as my daily drivers up to my current 4S. I wanted to give iOS 7 a chance before re-thinking my mobile platform of choice but now I'm not sure anymore.

 

I never said APIs and functionality don't matter. All I said is I'm not discussing APIs and again, you're missing the point. It seems to happen a lot around here... I guess real platform innovation is adding one or two specific features like copy and paste (iOS 3), multitasking (iOS 4), notification center (iOS 5) or Siri (iOS 6) over 6 years, right? Don't you think the awesome iOS 7 Control Center could have been in place back in iOS 3 instead of making everyone wait all this time?

 

You are mistaken about my respect for iOS development. I do respect a lot the iOS jailbreak development community. They are the true innovators on iOS!

post #236 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt57 View Post

First of all, I'd like to make it clear I'm not an android user and I don't have any Google device for now. I'm just using Google as an example but I'll answer your question with "Google Glass" anyway. Innovative enough? Nevertheless it's funny you mentioning minor standard apps integrated in the OS killing better 3rd party apps. This is my major complaining about iOS!! Why can't I decide if I want to use 3rd party apps as defaults or not?

Talking about integrated user experience is also a debatable matter of taste. All ecosystems have pros and conns be it Google, Amazon, Microsoft Live or Apple/iCloud. It depends if you want (or are forced) to put all eggs in one basket or not. Apple does have the best integrated experience if all you have are apple products. If you don't or even if you mix and match products from different ecosystems, good luck having the "best" integrated experience.

Maybe you're right about me judging Apple without having no clue about their next product. I guess you do? I've been waiting at least 3 years for them to surprise me again with a new product like they used to in the past. They were not afraid of pushing the envelope back when they released the iPhone, the iPad or even the macbook air. They just got comfortable and it shows on their latest products. How come we haven't had a Haswell macbook air with retina display and touchscreen this year? Maybe the iPad mini with old technology based on the iPad 2 is the next product you're talking about?

You list things like the iMac, iPod, iPhone, and iPad like they were all BAM BAM BAM back when Apple "used to innovate". In reality they were spread years apart. Yet you expect Apple to reinvent the wheel every year? We're only barely into the iPad's life cycle.

Also, there are Haswell MacBook Airs. And no, you won't see a touch screen Mac. Why would you? Apple is very careful about what it does; it's not Microsoft who throws stuff at the wall and hopes it sticks. Things like touchscreen monitors and Google Glass may sound cool, but how are they in practice? Google Glass sounds dangerous to me, and a good way to look like a fool.

You seem to focus on splashy features that make people go "ooh!" but ignore the behind-the-scenes stuff that make Apple stuff actually work the way they should.

And the iPad mini is a fantastic product, so don't pretend it's "dated". It's still the best 8" tablet out there by a mile.
post #237 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt57 View Post

I do respect a lot the iOS jailbreak development community. They are the true innovators on iOS!

Lol, I guess I was right: you do like flashy features like "themes" and the like, huh? You honestly think jailbreak devs are more innovative than the people who actually created the OS that they tinker (let's repeat that: TINKER) with? D'ok.
post #238 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post


Lol, I guess I was right: you do like flashy features like "themes" and the like, huh? You honestly think jailbreak devs are more innovative than the people who actually created the OS that they tinker (let's repeat that: TINKER) with? D'ok.

 

I'm not talking about themes. I'm talking about stuff like SBSSettings (= iOS 7 Control Center) or Auxo ( = iOS 7 Multitasking) that have been available for years. Maybe they didn't need to "TINKER" if Apple did their job properly in the first place? Their "tinkering" turned into official features by the people who actually created the OS. Isn't there something wrong with this picture?

 

Quote:
You list things like the iMac, iPod, iPhone, and iPad like they were all BAM BAM BAM back when Apple "used to innovate". In reality they were spread years apart. Yet you expect Apple to reinvent the wheel every year? We're only barely into the iPad's life cycle.

 

Yes, all have all these products plus a macmini. The iOS life cycle has lasted for 6 years which is a very very very long time in this business. I don't expect Apple to innovate every year, but lately they are just playing catch up with one exception: the new Mac Pro! The new Mac Pro shows what Apple can really do and I want to see more of it on iOS, that's all I'm saying.

post #239 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt57 View Post

I'm not talking about themes. I'm talking about stuff like SBSSettings (= iOS 7 Control Center) or Auxo ( = iOS 7 Multitasking) that have been available for years. Maybe they didn't need to "TINKER" if Apple did their job properly in the first place? Their "tinkering" turned into official features by the people who actually created the OS. 


Yes, all have all these products plus a macmini. The iOS life cycle has lasted for 6 years which is a very very very long time in this business. I don't expect Apple to innovate every year, but lately they are just playing catch up with one exception: the new Mac Pro! The new Mac Pro shows what Apple can really do and I want to see more of it on iOS, that's all I'm saying.

It's laughable if you think SBSSettings is more innovative than the rest of iOS. Seriously.

Apple "playing catchup" is just them adding minor features users requested; they don't represent everything going on behind the scenes, and they're just refinements of a maturing OS that's ironing out any weaknesses. Seriously, if Apple doesn't do anything it's "Apple never listens!!" and when they do it's "Apple is playing catchup/ Apple copied!"
post #240 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post


It's laughable if you think SBSSettings is more innovative than the rest of iOS. Seriously.

Apple "playing catchup" is just them adding minor features users requested; they don't represent everything going on behind the scenes, and they're just refinements of a maturing OS that's ironing out any weaknesses. Seriously, if Apple doesn't do anything it's "Apple never listens!!" and when they do it's "Apple is playing catchup/ Apple copied!"

 

Apparently it's the norm here to take single examples and make them the whole general point. I never said SBSettings is more innovative than the rest of iOS, it's just an example of one of the features Apple could have implemented years ago.

 

These articles explains my point about iOS perfectly: http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/mobiles/ios-7-a-bold-step-sideways-20130621-2ond6.html and http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/digital-life-news/apple-loses-its-shine-20130620-2ojs0.html. Great to finally read proper unbiased opinions. I wish I could say the same about the Editorial that started this discussion. 


Edited by grunt57 - 6/24/13 at 7:28pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Editorial: iOS 7 shows how Apple is leading mobile computing