or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Walmart drops iPhone 5 price to $129, 4S for $39
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Walmart drops iPhone 5 price to $129, 4S for $39

post #1 of 54
Thread Starter 
Walmart is now offering Apple's iPhone 5 at one of the lowest prices available, just $129, and the retail giant is also offering the iPhone 4S for under $40.

always the low price


Walmart announced on Saturday that it would slash the prices of the last two generations of Apple's bestselling handset. The iPhone 5 will see a discount of nearly a third, dropping from $189 to $129, while the iPhone 4S will see a 56 percent discount, dropping from $89 to $39.

Both devices are available at the listed price contingent upon customers signing up for a new two-year contract with one of three carriers. Customers can choose from AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint.

The discount ranks Walmart among the most affordable providers of the iPhone 5. Electronics retailer Best Buy recently restarted its iPhone trade-in program, which will run through the end of June. That program allows customers signing up for a new contract to receive up to $150 off the cost of an on-contract iPhone 5 if they trade in an iPhone 4 or 4S.
post #2 of 54
What's the ETA on the 5S?
post #3 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

What's the ETA on the 5S?

Your guess is as good as any. Assuming iOS 7 gets completed soon enough I would guess around early September.

post #4 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

What's the ETA on the 5S?

~October, of course.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #5 of 54
So how much is Walmart paying AppleINsider for this advertisement? And why don't they honestly acknowledge that Walmart pays for the "story?"
post #6 of 54
Just an inside tip: Walmart charges you tax on the sale price of $129 vs paying your carriers sales tax on the retail of $600. That's a big savings for some.
post #7 of 54
Ok, tell me why the hell should Apple enter the market with a cheap iPhone when the the 4s is now going for $39 with a two year contract at Walmart? Keep building the goddamn 4s. Duh!
post #8 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by doe924 View Post

Just an inside tip: Walmart charges you tax on the sale price of $129 vs paying your carriers sales tax on the retail of $600. That's a big savings for some.

I don't understand. I go to AT&T, the iPhone costs $199 plus tax, total price around $212.
post #9 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Ok, tell me why the hell should Apple enter the market with a cheap iPhone when the the 4s is now going for $39 with a two year contract at Walmart? Keep building the goddamn 4s. Duh!

It's $39 because the carrier pays for the other $500. And cheap iPhones are needed for the developing world. My friends in China told me that $600 / month is a very decent salary for young professionals (25 - 30 years old) and if you make $1000 per month, you've "made it" (think $100K annual salary in the US). Also, the perception over there is that they don't want an older generation model. They want the latest, cheapest device with a bigger screen, something that the iPhone 4S also doesn't have.

 

Us Americans have the most buying power, but we are not the world.


Edited by zoffdino - 6/22/13 at 5:00pm
post #10 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Ok, tell me why the hell should Apple enter the market with a cheap iPhone when the the 4s is now going for $39 with a two year contract at Walmart? Keep building the goddamn 4s. Duh!

Because that's a US carrier subsidy price? Without that subsidy, the phone costs $549.
post #11 of 54
So the 4 is prabably barely selling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

~October, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylo View Post

I don't understand. I go to AT&T, the iPhone costs $199 plus tax, total price around $212.
Still a $70 savings however.

Apple will likely keep the 4s as the low end model and these rumors are anoying.

The IPad mini came because the IPad is high price and is steadily, heavily becoming above market average screen size.
post #12 of 54
For all the people that are acting like this is a crazy deal and think that lower priced phones aren't needed, your idiots.

The true cost of the phone is in the 2 year extra payment you make for it being subsidized. There's a reason why I can pay $80/month for me and my wife to have unlimited everything with cheap phones as opposed to 120-140 with someone else using the iPhone.

Do a little math and see how good the deal is.
post #13 of 54

"Your idiots."

 

Okay. :)

post #14 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylo View Post

I don't understand. I go to AT&T, the iPhone costs $199 plus tax, total price around $212.

is the taxable amount thingy a state-by-state issue? in california the tax is calculated on the unsubsidized price. at least, that's what i paid. and i i'm not so paranoid to think that they singled out just me.
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
post #15 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving Muller View Post

For all the people that are acting like this is a crazy deal and think that lower priced phones aren't needed, your idiots.

The true cost of the phone is in the 2 year extra payment you make for it being subsidized. There's a reason why I can pay $80/month for me and my wife to have unlimited everything with cheap phones as opposed to 120-140 with someone else using the iPhone.

Do a little math and see how good the deal is.

my idiots (affectionately referred to as your idiots) can't do math. can yours?
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
post #16 of 54
FWIW its reported that ATT dropped their price on the 5 to $99.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #17 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

"Your idiots."

 

Okay. :)

Let's go ahead and deflect by focusing on something that's not the real issue. 

post #18 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post


my idiots (affectionately referred to as your idiots) can't do math. can yours?

Yes.

post #19 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving Muller View Post

For all the people that are acting like this is a crazy deal and think that lower priced phones aren't needed, your idiots.

The true cost of the phone is in the 2 year extra payment you make for it being subsidized. There's a reason why I can pay $80/month for me and my wife to have unlimited everything with cheap phones as opposed to 120-140 with someone else using the iPhone.

Do a little math and see how good the deal is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

"Your idiots."

Okay. 1smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving Muller View Post

Let's go ahead and deflect by focusing on something that's not the real issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

my idiots (affectionately referred to as your idiots) can't do math. can yours?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving Muller View Post

Yes.

well, i dunno, i find that when insulting people by calling them idiots it's best to do it with proper spelling, grammar, syntax, and that lot. i mean, your idiots may be good at maths but that's it. and that, too, is a real issue.
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
post #20 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving Muller View Post

Let's go ahead and deflect by focusing on something that's not the real issue.

Then it's best to not call people idiots while making such a dumb flub at almost the exact same instant. Calling people idiots in making a fifth grade math mistake while making a fifth grade grammar mistake doesn't look good on anyone.
Edited by JeffDM - 6/22/13 at 11:36pm
post #21 of 54
A bit like using the Shift button
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #22 of 54

If it's $129 when sold on a contract, then the phone's not really $129, is it?

 

Surely the price of the handset varies depending on how expensive the contract is, and hence saying it's being 'sold for $129' is meaningless?

 

I can get the iPhone 5 for £0 if I take out a £37/month contract, but it doesn't necessarily make it good value!

post #23 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


Then it's best to not call people idiots while making such a dumb flub at almost the exact same instant. Calling people idiots in making a fifth grade math mistake while making a fifth grade grammar mistake doesn't look good on anyone.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post




well, i dunno, i find that when insulting people by calling them idiots it's best to do it with proper spelling, grammar, syntax, and that lot. i mean, your idiots may be good at maths but that's it. and that, too, is a real issue.

 

Excuse me, I've only been in this country for 5 years now and have been learning English during that time. Sorry it doesn't meet your standards. English isn't necessary to know math by the way. Math is universal, everyone should know it well, English not so much.

post #24 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

is the taxable amount thingy a state-by-state issue? in california the tax is calculated on the unsubsidized price. at least, that's what i paid. and i i'm not so paranoid to think that they singled out just me.

I don't believe that you pay $199 yet taxed on the full retail price.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #25 of 54
Confirmed ATT's half-price smartphone sale is going on and includes both the iPhone 4S and 5 if anyone is interested. I don't think Apple devices are typically thrown in the 50% off sales are they? Amazing how knocking off $100 or so can make a several thousand dollar commitment sound like a real bargain.1rolleyes.gif

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/smartphones.html
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #26 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving Muller View Post

Excuse me...

Do you actually expect to get any sympathy when you present your position like this?

If anything, as a non-native speaker, your responsibility to get it right is greater.
Quote:
English isn't necessary to know math by the way. Math is universal, everyone should know it well, English not so much.

Do international business in something other than English. Let us know how that works.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #27 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana_Dik View Post

So how much is Walmart paying AppleINsider for this advertisement? And why don't they honestly acknowledge that Walmart pays for the "story?"

You obviously do not own any AAPL, because if you did, you would call this newsworthy.
post #28 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


~October, of course.

 

I seriously hope Apple does better than that this year. And I am hoping for 3 phone models that I would personnaly name:

iPhone 6 LT (low cost phone, 4" screen, same iPhone 5 screen)

iPhone 6 (Middle range phone, 4" screen, 720P resolution, IGZO)

IPhone 6 XL (high end phone, 5" screen, 1080p resolution, IGZO)

post #29 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarcoot View Post


You obviously do not own any AAPL, because if you did, you would call this newsworthy.

 

I am hoping Apple will at least meets the consensus, which is $7.30, down 30% from a year ago. Trailling TTM EPS will drop to $41, down from $44, rising the P/E. I must admit Apple future looks pretty dark ATM, its looks like we will get the worst case scenario, which is significant EPS decline.  Its a shame. 

 

You always hope Apple will pull an ace off its sleeves, but so far we are not getting anything.  All we are getting is tasteless incremental upgrades with a total lack of innovation and leadership. Apple lack of innovation, its delays in entering new markets and its refusal to offer multiple models on its core business is killing the company.

 

I dont think Tim will get away with it this time, if by the end of 2013 we are at $37 trailling EPS and no new products, the board will kick him out.


Edited by herbapou - 6/23/13 at 10:30am
post #30 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I seriously hope Apple does better than that this year. And I am hoping for 3 phone models that I would personnaly name:
iPhone 6 LT (low cost phone, 4" screen, same iPhone 5 screen)
iPhone 6 (Middle range phone, 4" screen, 720P resolution, IGZO)
IPhone 6 XL (high end phone, 5" screen, 1080p resolution, IGZO)

This won't happen and it won't be called the iPhone 6.

Also, you've bought into the whole 720p and 1080p bandwagon. The iPhone 5 already has the best screen, if not the biggest.

I'm half expecting the flagship iPhone 5S followed by a cheaper iPhone with a colored plastic case (available in 5 colors that match iOS 7).
post #31 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I am hoping Apple will at least meets the consensus, which is $7.30, down 30% from a year ago. Trailling TTM EPS will drop to $41, down from $44, rising the P/E. I must admit Apple future looks pretty dark ATM, its looks like we will get the worst case scenario, which is significant EPS decline.  Its a shame. 

You always hope Apple will pull an ace off its sleeves, but so far we are not getting anything.  All we are getting is tasteless incremental upgrades with a total lack of innovation and leadership. Apple lack of innovation, its delays in entering new markets and its refusal to offer multiple models on its core business is killing the company.

I dont think Tim will get away with it this time, if by the end of 2013 we are at $37 trailling EPS and no new products, the board will kick him out.

Apple is doomed, Apple's innovation died with Steve, Apple only releases incremental updates.

Nice trollesque triple-double.
post #32 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If anything, as a non-native speaker, your responsibility to get it right is greater.

 

That's a stupid comment.

 

Have you ever tried expressing yourself with native fluency in a foreign language? If you have, you should know that it's no easy task. And whether you have or not, you should know that there's no 'responsibility' for a non-native speaker to phrase everything perfectly.

 

Now that's out of the way, how about you attack the poster's arguments rather than making cheap shots at his grammar?

post #33 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

Have you ever tried expressing yourself with native fluency in a foreign language? If you have, you should know that it's no easy task.

Oh, yes; agreed. The point is, though, that if you're actually trying, you want to get it right.
Quote:
Now that's out of the way, how about you attack the poster's arguments rather than making cheap shots at his grammar?

Because he doesn't have any arguments.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #34 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving Muller View Post

 

 

 

Excuse me, I've only been in this country for 5 years now and have been learning English during that time. Sorry it doesn't meet your standards. English isn't necessary to know math by the way. Math is universal, everyone should know it well, English not so much.

I call BS on this one.  It's not as if you type out your thoughts in broken English, or misspell the odd word that would imply English is not your first language.  No, you used your instead of you're, which is probably the most common grammar gaffe to grace internet forums.  People born and raised in North America, who are High School and College graduates, regularly make this mistake.

 

If there is truth to you being in the USA for only 5 years you probably migrated from Canada or somewhere in the UK.  I just don't believe typing out "your" had anything to do with your lack of English skills.  It had more to do with the irony Gods wielding their supreme powers as you felt the need to call people idiots.  People, who by choice, sign into a 2 year contract, because not everyone can afford to put down a lump sum of $600 on a phone they want to own, but can certainly afford it over a 2 year period paying in increments (even if it'll cost more in the end).

 

Personally I don't sign contracts anymore, which is a choice I made, but I wouldn't say anyone who does is an idiot.  Certainly these people can choose to buy a $300 phone off contract and not opt for a subsidized $600 or $700 phone.  I've done that and all I can say is you get what you pay for.  Constant lag, hardware that doesn't last, software that doesn't update, and the list goes on.  Choice is a individual right.  Respect that or the irony Gods will strike again, when you least expect it, causing you once again to feel the ridicule online and scramble for a lame excuse to save face.

post #35 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jivanile View Post

I call BS on this one.  It's not as if you type out your thoughts in broken English, or misspell the odd word that would imply English is not your first language.  No, you used your instead of you're, which is probably the most common grammar gaffe to grace internet forums.  People born and raised in North America, who are High School and College graduates, regularly make this mistake.

 

If there is truth to you being in the USA for only 5 years you probably migrated from Canada or somewhere in the UK.  I just don't believe typing out "your" had anything to do with your lack of English skills.  It had more to do with the irony Gods wielding their supreme powers as you felt the need to call people idiots.  People, who by choice, sign into a 2 year contract, because not everyone can afford to put down a lump sum of $600 on a phone they want to own, but can certainly afford it over a 2 year period paying in increments (even if it'll cost more in the end).

 

Personally I don't sign contracts anymore, which is a choice I made, but I wouldn't say anyone who does is an idiot.  Certainly these people can choose to buy a $300 phone off contract and not opt for a subsidized $600 or $700 phone.  I've done that and all I can say is you get what you pay for.  Constant lag, hardware that doesn't last, software that doesn't update, and the list goes on.  Choice is a individual right.  Respect that or the irony Gods will strike again, when you least expect it, causing you once again to feel the ridicule online and scramble for a lame excuse to save face.

 

I am Russian and I also learned German and Latin in school. Therefore English has been easy for me to pick up.

 

Also, choice is an individual right but it does not guarantee that the correct choice will be made.

 

Finally, ridiculed? This is just a chat room. This isn't my family. Why should I feel ridiculed on here.

post #36 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving Muller View Post

I am Russian and I also learned German and Latin in school. Therefore English has been easy for me to pick up.

Also, choice is an individual right but it does not guarantee that the correct choice will be made.

Finally, ridiculed? This is just a chat room. This isn't my family. Why should I feel ridiculed on here.

Your argument has no merit, and you're extremely condescending. I'm hoping some is just lost in translation.

You're calling people who take advantage of subsidies "idiots" for also taking advantage of a $100 price cut. A price cut is a price cut.

The iPhone is a $600 phone. Technically, it's more financially wise to pay that up front and go to a smaller carrier that has cheap rates. In the same vein, it's also smarter to pay cash for things and avoid interest rates. Trouble is, most people don't have that kinda money lying around to pay for a phone.

And if you upgrade every 2 years, it makes perfect sense to go the subsidy route.
post #37 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving Muller View Post

For all the people that are acting like this is a crazy deal and think that lower priced phones aren't needed, your idiots.

The true cost of the phone is in the 2 year extra payment you make for it being subsidized. There's a reason why I can pay $80/month for me and my wife to have unlimited everything with cheap phones as opposed to 120-140 with someone else using the iPhone.

Do a little math and see how good the deal is.

 

A kilogram of lead is still cheaper than a kilogram of gold, so it must be a better deal. /s

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #38 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

 

I am hoping Apple will at least meets the consensus, which is $7.30, down 30% from a year ago. Trailling TTM EPS will drop to $41, down from $44, rising the P/E. I must admit Apple future looks pretty dark ATM, its looks like we will get the worst case scenario, which is significant EPS decline.  Its a shame. 

 

You always hope Apple will pull an ace off its sleeves, but so far we are not getting anything.  All we are getting is tasteless incremental upgrades with a total lack of innovation and leadership. Apple lack of innovation, its delays in entering new markets and its refusal to offer multiple models on its core business is killing the company.

 

I dont think Tim will get away with it this time, if by the end of 2013 we are at $37 trailling EPS and no new products, the board will kick him out.

 

Let's see:

1. tasteless incremental upgrades

2. total lack of innovation

3. and (lack of) leadership

4. delays in entering new markets

5. refusal to offer multiple models on its core business

 

Refutation:

1. Subjective opinions aren't proof of anything

2. Retina laptops? Bigger iPhone screen? SSD? Doubling-down on Thunderbolt? Leading ultrabook design? Mac Pro?

3. Where would Samsung and Google and Microsoft be without Apple to follow?

4. What schedule are they supposed to keep--yours?

5. Let's see: 3 iPhone models, 2 iPad models, 3 types of Mac desktop, 2 types of MacBooks. Oh, just 1 Apple TV. Yeah, you're right: what a crying shame about Apple's refusal to sell more than 1 model of Apple TV. 

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #39 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving Muller View Post

For all the people that are acting like this is a crazy deal and think that lower priced phones aren't needed, your idiots.

The true cost of the phone is in the 2 year extra payment you make for it being subsidized. There's a reason why I can pay $80/month for me and my wife to have unlimited everything with cheap phones as opposed to 120-140 with someone else using the iPhone.

Do a little math and see how good the deal is.

I will not comment on the "idiot" part of your post but on your actual premise which is flat out wrong. First of all you assume everyone on a contract pays between $120 to $140 which is dead wrong. There are a lot of people who get huge discounts by as much as 25% from corporate discounts which can bring the cost down. Other people may be on grandfathered plans like me. I have an iPhone 5 that I paid $199 for but get unlimited calls, texts, data (including LTE) and not the fake unlimited with caps after 2 or 3 GB like most pre-paid plans like yours probably have I mean ACTUAL unlimited and unthrottled data for $50 a month on Sprint. Every 20 months I can also get a brand new iPhone for $199 and I pay only $600 a year for unlimited everything. I am sure others here also might get big discounts. Since you didn't specify your phone other than to say "cheap" I don't know what you use. But if you bought an iPhone 5 at $649 I am paying a lot less than you. 

post #40 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoffdino View Post

It's $39 because the carrier pays for the other $500. And cheap iPhones are needed for the developing world. My friends in China told me that $600 / month is a very decent salary for young professionals (25 - 30 years old) and if you make $1000 per month, you've "made it" (think $100K annual salary in the US). Also, the perception over there is that they don't want an older generation model. They want the latest, cheapest device with a bigger screen, something that the iPhone 4S also doesn't have.

Us Americans have the most buying power, but we are not the world.

Average income in China is about 14K/year with software engineers making 21K-30K/year. Lots less than US/EU saleries but much more than 600/month.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Walmart drops iPhone 5 price to $129, 4S for $39