or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New photos of purported 'iPhone 5S' show possible Apple 'A7' chip
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New photos of purported 'iPhone 5S' show possible Apple 'A7' chip

post #1 of 52
Thread Starter 
Apple will likely release the successor to its iPhone 5 in the fall of this year, and new images have emerged suggesting that the device may pack a next-generation "A7" next-generation processor when it debuts.

array


The new images follow closely after a previous leak last week, which showed off a larger-capacity battery and a new dual-LED flash component for the rear camera. The most recent images published by MacRumors give a closer view of the processor in the alleged iPhone 5S, and the branding on the device suggests that that processor will be a new "A7" chip and not a variant of Apple's existing A6 family.

The chip in the photo has a model number of APL0698, whereas the model numbers for the A6 and A6X were APL0598 and APL5598. The A5 and its subsequent iterations carried model numbers in the vein of APLx4xx, demonstrating the system with which Apple marks progression in its processor families.

chip


Monday's report notes that the chip for the supposed 5S carries 1GB of Elpida DRAM, the same capacity seen in the A6. There are also indications that the chip may have been made by TSMC, lending weight to recent rumors that Apple would switch away from Samsung for its chips. Those rumors, though, have Apple switching away for a 2014 "A8" processor, not this year's anticipated "A7."

Examining the date codes of assorted components, the device appears to have been assembled in December of 2012, which would make it an early prototype put together only weeks after the launch of the iPhone 5.

full


In addition to the new information on the processor, the latest leak gives a closer view of the rear of the device. The new look shows that the device does indeed have a dual-LED flash array and gives a clearer view of that component. A dual-LED flash would likely allow for better photos when taken in low-light conditions.

Rumors regarding a so-called "iPhone 5S" have loomed since the release of its predecessor, and the intervening months have seen a number of supposed component leaks. Recently, AppleInsider offered a first look at alleged schematics for both an "iPhone 5S" and a low-cost iPhone, showing what a number of accessory makers believe the devices will look like.
post #2 of 52
Quad-core?
post #3 of 52
As flashes tend to wash out the subjects, having an amber color flash could help to add rich tones such as it would with a sunset or candlelight.
post #4 of 52
How difficult is it for analysts to count? Seriously. Count to ten; see if you can do it.
post #5 of 52
Had to check in for my daily fake iPhone 5s screenshot. Did not disappoint.
post #6 of 52
even if they make 10 core still no use, the screen of iPhone needs to be wider. iPhone is left far behind the competition. The speed is not simply attractive. since iPhone 3GS I have bought every version accept iPhone 5 because I was expecting a wider screen as I have big fingers like many others. I am expecting a wide screen on iPhone 5s-6 otherwise unfortunately I will have to get used to android or windows mobile.
post #7 of 52
That's also a circular microphone hole instead of an oval

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #8 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by iZaza View Post

the screen of iPhone needs to be wider.

No, it doesn't.
Quote:
iPhone is left far behind the competition.

No, it isn't.
Quote:
The speed is not simply attractive.

Good thing there's more than just speed, huh.
Quote:
I am expecting a wide screen on iPhone 5s-6 otherwise unfortunately I will have to get used to android or windows mobile.

Go away now.
post #9 of 52

If this is indeed a next-gen A7 SoC in a genuine 5S for later this year, then I'm surprised but pleased too. As they would have to use current 28/32 nm process to manufacture it - which probably means higher power consumption than a A6. Maybe that higher capacity battery is there to compensate or even better but highly unlikely - there's an IGZO display in there too. That would make the extra juice from an A7 moot. 

post #10 of 52
Of course there is a new chip. How else can Apple justify leaving out some cool new features of ios 7 from iPhone 5 users?
post #11 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco08 View Post

Of course there is a new chip. How else can Apple justify leaving out some cool new features of ios 7 from iPhone 5 users?

Do you not understand what hardware is?
post #12 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

Maybe that higher capacity battery is there to compensate or even better but highly unlikely - there's an IGZO display in there too. That would make the extra juice from an A7 moot. 

Have we seen good hands-on reviews of IGZO vs IPS?  I haven't but would love to see some.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco08 View Post

Of course there is a new chip. How else can Apple justify leaving out some cool new features of ios 7 from iPhone 5 users?

Funny.  But to be real- outside of Siri (4 vs 4S)- they haven't built an iDevice that has left the directly previous one out of iOS features.

 

I actually think of it a little differently.  Outside of a chip, what could Apple really offer that would be a huge improvement?  So far, with the rumors of hardware we've seen- a better camera, double flash, and bigger battery are about it (the battery will be awesome if true).  But not sure what else to get excited about vs the iPhone 5?  I'm hoping wireless ac gets added as well- or if they make 32gb standard.  Curious what they're going to do that'll be the "must have" feature?  Again- iOS 7 is incredible.  But curious about the 5 vs new one.  Starting to get excited.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #13 of 52
The first photo of the dual flash looks like the phone has been dropped a few dozen times. It's super scratched up.
post #14 of 52
I am still hoping for a fingerprint scanner. I will upgrade from my 5, if it is included. If not, I will likely wait for the 6.
post #15 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by currentinterest View Post

I am still hoping for a fingerprint scanner. I will upgrade from my 5, if it is included. If not, I will likely wait for the 6.

I would be beside myself if this happened.  I'm thinking it'll be the 6 though.  It's inevitable they will incorporate that technology in sometime.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #16 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

As flashes tend to wash out the subjects, having an amber color flash could help to add rich tones such as it would with a sunset or candlelight.

Could the red flash also be for red eye reduction?
post #17 of 52
Your wishes to have a fingerprint scanner might come true look at the home button connector on the 5s compared to the one on the 5 thats located at the left side of the lighting connector. To me it seems like the new connection is going to support something more then a simple on off function.
post #18 of 52

Consider you're Apple. You have a product that's selling 10s of millions of units a quarter. You want to make a significant upgrade for next year, but you don't want to risk falling on your face if the next years product is delayed.  So what do you do?

 

You make a slightly upgraded version of this years product, using, say the new CPU, but mostly the same design.

 

At the same time, you work on a more significant upgrade using some other piece of innovative technology (I think Apple has a radical display up its sleeve, possibly a glasses not required 3D display).  This is cutting edge technology and it might not be ready in time.  

 

So, what do you do?  You work on both.  In fact, Apple probably has 3 different 2013 models being developed and 3 different 2014 models being developed right now. 

 

Depending on how things go, we might get the radical model, but if it's not ready we get the less radical model and the radical model happens next year.

 

It's the only prudent way to work. 

 

So, sure, this is the less radical model from 2012 which was probably in the works as early as late 2011. 

 

Doesn't really tells us what the 2013 iPhone will be, unless they have to fall back to this easy to manufacture (because it's very much like the 2012 model) version.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iZaza View Post
 iPhone is left far behind the competition. 

 

How can the iPhone e "far behind" competition that is selling only 1/10th as many units?  (if that.)  Wider phones are not really actually popular. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
I actually think of it a little differently.  Outside of a chip, what could Apple really offer that would be a huge improvement?  

 

Take a retina screen, and then double it.  Thus where there was one pixel in a current retina screen there are now two.  This wouldn't have any use in terms of making a display better, because the pixels are already too small to see.  So why would Apple do this?

 

Take that double retina screen and now put a very fine etched lens in front of it.  In this way every two pixels is split, such that the left eye can see one of them and the right eye can see the other. 

 

This is existing technology (though not to this level of resolution) so I'm not speaking crazy here.

 

Now you have a stereoscopic display, at retina resolution. 

 

This would be pretty revolutionary.  There are probably some significant manufacturing challenges involved.... but can you imagine if Apple announced that?

 

Now all the 3D games could really be 3D!

post #19 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Have we seen good hands-on reviews of IGZO vs IPS?  I haven't but would love to see some.

Funny.  But to be real- outside of Siri (4 vs 4S)- they haven't built an iDevice that has left the directly previous one out of iOS features.

I actually think of it a little differently.  Outside of a chip, what could Apple really offer that would be a huge improvement?  So far, with the rumors of hardware we've seen- a better camera, double flash, and bigger battery are about it (the battery will be awesome if true).  But not sure what else to get excited about vs the iPhone 5?  I'm hoping wireless ac gets added as well- or if they make 32gb standard.  Curious what they're going to do that'll be the "must have" feature?  Again- iOS 7 is incredible.  But curious about the 5 vs new one.  Starting to get excited.

There were a few features in the camera app that were iPhone 5 only and not available to 4S users. There are probably a few other small things that were "5 only".

As far as new must have features I don't know what's left for Apple other than NFC/fingerprint stuff. My own qualm with such features is that I don't think those are really highly desired features for people. People with NFC androids never use the feature and fingerprint/eye/face sensors have never been huge features for phones. They may have a short term wow factor but nothing that's actually useful

Anyway I'm excited for the 5S and I will be getting one regardless. Most things on my "want" list were addressed by iOS 7 (multitasking/control center/Siri improvements/etc).
post #20 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by iZaza 

the screen of iPhone needs to be wider.

No, it doesn't.

 

Yes, it does. Just because YOU don't want it doesn't mean that MILLIONS of others don't. 

I tried the S4 for a month before returning to iPhone. The 5" screen was the PERFECT size. 

Apple could keep the girl size and release a Man size and I would bet my last dollar the larger would outsell the smaller. 

iPhone 6 Plus 5.5" YES!
Reply
iPhone 6 Plus 5.5" YES!
Reply
post #21 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post


Could the red flash also be for red eye reduction?

 

No, red eye reduction is a pre-flash that will close the retina. Red eye is cause by light reflecting off the back of the retina so you would want to un-diolate the retina to minimize the refection. To do that, you would pre-flash the subject prior to the exposure so the retina will close. You could also change the direction of the flash entering into the pupil. 

 

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question51.htm 

post #22 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by r4d4 View Post


No, it doesn't.

 

Yes, it does. Just because YOU don't want it doesn't mean that MILLIONS of others don't. 

I tried the S4 for a month before returning to iPhone. The 5" screen was the PERFECT size. 

Apple could keep the girl size and release a Man size and I would bet my last dollar the larger would outsell the smaller. 

 

Where are all these so-called millions clamouring for a 5" iPhone? Buy an S4 if you want a phablet. Apple's doing just fine with the 4". Also if your manhood is defined by your phone, you need help.

“What would I do? I’d shut Apple down and give the money back to the shareholders”

Michael Dell - 1997

Reply

“What would I do? I’d shut Apple down and give the money back to the shareholders”

Michael Dell - 1997

Reply
post #23 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by r4d4 View Post

Yes, it does.

No. It doesn't. I'll do this all day. I have common sense, every single thing Apple has ever done, including EXPLICIT software features, and tens of millions of iPhone users behind me.

What do you have?
Quote:
Apple could keep the girl size and release a Man size and I would bet my last dollar the larger would outsell the smaller. 

And thanks for destroying your entire argument with sexism. Normally it takes a while longer for you guys to pull the plug!
post #24 of 52
Quote:
Examining the date codes of assorted components, the device appears to have been assembled in December of 2012, which would make it an early prototype put together only weeks after the launch of the iPhone 5.

 

Or perhaps only that some components used in the prototype were manufactured some time ago. Or perhaps that a unit was pulled form production back then to start tinkering with. Unless you have some sort of built-on-date or paperwork to go with it I would think that any production date of individual parts might be better interpreted only as parts which have yet to be updated if such is the plan before a release candidate is ready for production.

post #25 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Or perhaps only that some components used in the prototype were manufactured some time ago. Or perhaps that a unit was pulled form production back then to start tinkering with. Unless you have some sort of built-on-date or paperwork to go with it I would think that any production date of individual parts might be better interpreted only as parts which have yet to be updated if such is the plan before a release candidate is ready for production.

Intel had Haswell iMacs for internal testing last year; it's not inconceivable.
post #26 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

There were a few features in the camera app that were iPhone 5 only and not available to 4S users. There are probably a few other small things that were "5 only".

As far as new must have features I don't know what's left for Apple other than NFC/fingerprint stuff. My own qualm with such features is that I don't think those are really highly desired features for people. People with NFC androids never use the feature and fingerprint/eye/face sensors have never been huge features for phones. They may have a short term wow factor but nothing that's actually useful

Anyway I'm excited for the 5S and I will be getting one regardless. Most things on my "want" list were addressed by iOS 7 (multitasking/control center/Siri improvements/etc).


Future "must have" features:

Three-Day Battery Life
802.11ac Wi-Fi
802.11ad Wi-Fi
LTE Advanced
Sign In with iCloud/iTunes (using three factor authentication)
Purchase with iCloud/iTunes (using three factor authentication)
Siri Enhancements (Siri has many, many more possible enhancements)
Screen Sharing
Remote Control
Wi-Fi API Enhancements ("full access" to the Wi-Fi radio)


I agree with the essence of the post, however. There are, perhaps, two more generations (after the next iPhone) of truly significant features.
post #27 of 52

Prediction:

 

Apple: Here's all the new features and more powerful stuff. And this and that and the other thing. Available in a couple weeks. There ya go.

 

Market pundit: The 5s failed to have the holographic, time warping display option with precognitive features predicted by the cousin of the sister of our unnamed sources operating out of their uncle's shack in Ulan Bator. New Apple stock target is an imaginary negative number because synergy scalable agile best practices what Steve Jobs would think buzz buzzzzz buzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

 

Tech media: ITZ NOT TEH INNOVATERS! BLAAAAAAAAHHHHRRRRRPPPPPP!

 

Whiny autistigeeks: DERP! GOOGL 4EVAH! DERP! BUYINGTNEW PHONE TO GET OS UPDATES IZ A FEATURE!


Edited by Quiet_Desperation - 6/24/13 at 12:25pm
post #28 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet_Desperation View Post

Prediction:

Why aren't you an analyst? Think of the money you could be making by saying something that will ACTUALLY happen! lol.gif
post #29 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Do you not understand what hardware is?

I'm sorry but in that guys defended its well known that Apple leave out feature updates to older models in order to push newer ones. The iPhone 4 is perfectly capable of running Siri since all the app does is compress the audio and send it to Apple's servers to analyse. In fact if you jailbreak an IPhone 4 and install Siri from Cidia it works a treat as it just tricks apples servers to believe you're using a 4s not a 4. Though with that said in my opinion it is perfectly acceptable to leave out such features if it allows apple to give free updates which it does.
post #30 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by morzee94 View Post

The iPhone 4 is perfectly capable of running Siri...

This is the ONLY example ANYONE EVER gives and you're always wrong about it. Try another, please.

Features are left out because they don't work the way Apple intends them to work. They'd rather people not be able to complain about crap than to ship crap.
post #31 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

If this is indeed a next-gen A7 SoC in a genuine 5S for later this year, then I'm surprised but pleased too.
Aren't you jumping to conclusions here? Just because a new chip has A7 stamped on it doesn't mean that it will be dramatically better than previous generations. You really have to wait and see what is inside.
Quote:
As they would have to use current 28/32 nm process to manufacture it - which probably means higher power consumption than a A6.
Well they may or may not use Samsungs 28/32 nm technology. This however supports my comments above, until we know the details of the chip there is little reason to get excited about its marketing name. By the way they could be building this at a smaller node or on a vastly improved 28 nm node. Also the architecture of the chip itself could change. So there is no way to tell if the chip will be a performance nightmare where the nightmare is excessive thermals.
Quote:
Maybe that higher capacity battery is there to compensate or even better but highly unlikely - there's an IGZO display in there too. That would make the extra juice from an A7 moot. 
You really don't want to increase the power draw from your processor. This no matter what you do outside of the chip. I have no doubt that they can improve power draw even at the same feature size but the real question is can they offer significantly better performance. We will have to wait and see.

As to that node size it may very well be that TSMC has a node ready at someplace around 22 nm. So don't rule out a partial node shrink.
post #32 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Future "must have" features:

Three-Day Battery Life
I don't think that will happen. Especially if Apple tries to deliver some of the high power features you want below.
Quote:
802.11ac Wi-Fi
802.11ad Wi-Fi
LTE Advanced
Sign In with iCloud/iTunes (using three factor authentication)
Purchase with iCloud/iTunes (using three factor authentication)
Siri Enhancements (Siri has many, many more possible enhancements)
Siri is enhanced continuously. They don't need an iOS update to do that. Unless of course they bring some of the AI onboard.
Quote:
Screen Sharing
Remote Control
Wi-Fi API Enhancements ("full access" to the Wi-Fi radio)


I agree with the essence of the post, however. There are, perhaps, two more generations (after the next iPhone) of truly significant features.
I don't know about that either. I wouldn't be surprised to see an iPhone that can completely eliminate the need for a desktop PC in the future. Even if PC elimination isn't the goal I can see years of sensor intention ahead for iPhone. With steady incremental upgrades I don't see a problem for the rest of the decade.
post #33 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Intel had Haswell iMacs for internal testing last year; it's not inconceivable.

As will Apple with their internal chip designs. In Apples case I wold suspect that they have samples of next generation chips from several foundries and test them to make rational decision about who to go with as a supplier for the next generation of processors. All of this immature noise about Apple dropping Samsung because of the issues with lawsuits is really nonsense. Apple will go with the vendor that can offer the best solution for the coming years. Rumor on the street is that TSMC has done very well in this respect, they have apparently been able to deliver a viable 14NM process.

Now I'm not expecting 14nm this year but rather something between that and 32nm. Actually feature size isn't as important these days as technology to reduce leakage currents. Finfets have great promise here.
post #34 of 52
Quad core is not important.
Power VR Rouge is important.

And Apple should think about bumping memory to much higher then 1 gig since everything is going to be multitasked in iOS7.
post #35 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post


Could the red flash also be for red eye reduction?

 

No, red eye reduction is a pre-flash that will close the retina. Red eye is cause by light reflecting off the back of the retina so you would want to un-diolate the retina to minimize the refection. To do that, you would pre-flash the subject prior to the exposure so the retina will close. You could also change the direction of the flash entering into the pupil. 

 

 

>>

 

one downside of the pre-flash method for red eye reduction is that a large number of people will blink or squint when pre-flash is utilized prior to taking a shot. I rather deal with a red eye than a closed eye image correction.

post #36 of 52

Why would iPhone 5S need a new processor? Is iOS 7 more bloated?

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Reply
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Reply
post #37 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by morzee94 View Post

I'm sorry but in that guys defended its well known that Apple leave out feature updates to older models in order to push newer ones. The iPhone 4 is perfectly capable of running Siri since all the app does is compress the audio and send it to Apple's servers to analyse. In fact if you jailbreak an IPhone 4 and install Siri from Cidia it works a treat as it just tricks apples servers to believe you're using a 4s not a 4. Though with that said in my opinion it is perfectly acceptable to leave out such features if it allows apple to give free updates which it does.

Since Siri is STILL too jammed to respond on weekend evenings, and that's almost every weekend, I have to conclude that Apple is restricting access to Siri until they get new data centers into operation.
post #38 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Features are left out because they don't work the way Apple intends them to work. They'd rather people not be able to complain about crap than to ship crap.
Then they should've left Siri out all together. *rim shot*. Thank you... Thank you....

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #39 of 52
Let me make this simpler for you. See ios 7 is coming out (software). And a new iPhone is coming out (hardware). What I'm saying is, Apple will upgrade the hardware and then tell us that certain features of ios 7 will only run on this new hardware. Got it? Thus, leaving out many of the iPhone 5 users.

99.99% of this forum understands what I meant.
post #40 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by r4d4 View Post

in response to taller skillet 

Whatever internet troll. You have 25K posts because you think you know everything.

No one can disagree with you because you are always right. 

 

Wait and see. Apple WILL cave to the larger screen size in the next year and you will be the first one out the door to buy it. Once YOU own it, it will be the best thing ever. 

Don't worry, with 25k posts, you will be here still posting 100 times a day arguing with anyone who doesn't share your point of view. 

I will point it out to you when you change your tune. 

 

And, instead of wasting space responding to the other douche. Man sized just means larger, not a phablet. 

The S4 is barely a 1/4" taller and 1/4" wider than the iPhone 5. Go to walmart and places the screens face to face matching the bottom left corner and look at the MINOR difference in size. 

 

go back to your 100 post per day, here is one more for you to respond to.

 

Meanwhile, back in the real world, people are buying and actually using their iPhones.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New photos of purported 'iPhone 5S' show possible Apple 'A7' chip