Originally Posted by Andysol
I agree with you. I doubt Apple releases a bigger phone this year, but potentially next year.
I also agree that all the countless pros of iOS vs android are enough reason to never even consider a switch- the only thing I like about the S4 is the larger screen (but not THAT large). I really hate that much bulk, it really just looks stupid. Just like with the 5- apple found a way to make the screen larger, but the size of the phone wasn't any bigger. Sure it was taller, but also thinner and substantially lighter. If apple can find a way to enlarge the screen slightly more without greatly impacting the size or battery life- not only am I all for it, but I too- think it will greatly outsell a smaller model if they were released simultaneously.
next year it's all the same. too late. in this case Apple is better to stay at 4" and make it a niche, like once with Macs. It would be a big shame, but nothing can be done instead of them...
If somebody would ask me how do I imagine iPhone product line I would propose 2 variants:
1. "iPhone 5 rules"
- iPhone 5 4" with same 326dpi
- one older iPhone 5 version (instead of 3 today)
- larger screen iPhone with 4.6" and dpi something around 400
- cheaper 4" model with dpi half of the large model, i.e. something around 200dpi, still offering a very good value and picture quality
Problem with this approach is introduction of new screen form factor making it more complicated for developers...
2. "Legacy approach"
- iPhone 5 rises from 4" to 4.6", getting very high dpi, way over 400 dpi
- cheaper 3.5-4" iPhone with half of dpi, something over 200, perhaps even 4:3 ratio again, making it effectively half size to larger in terms of screen resolution
- one older model for each above
In this way all the phones could run more or less existing software. Perhaps this version is more feasible with 5" size of large model, but I think 5" is too large, even for 16:9 ratio.
But what are the problems behind I don'T know. What I am pretty much sure it that Apple is solving the riddle and curse of 326 dpi retina on 4" that came out perhaps too good for the time....It clearly points our Apple hasn't expected serious demand of larger screen mobile phones.
Edited by poksi - 6/25/13 at 6:47am