or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New photos of purported 'iPhone 5S' show possible Apple 'A7' chip
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New photos of purported 'iPhone 5S' show possible Apple 'A7' chip - Page 2

post #41 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco08 View Post

What I'm saying is, Apple will upgrade the hardware and then tell us that certain features of ios 7 will only run on this new hardware. Got it? Thus, leaving out many of the iPhone 5 users.

Hey. Guess what? That's because it's the case. What you so... obviously not purposefully... left out was YOUR point, which was the above is a "trumped up" situation existing for no other reason than to sell new devices, which I (and Apple) have stated is patently false.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Meanwhile, back in the real world, people are buying and actually using their iPhones.

See: my signature. 1cool.gif

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #42 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

See: my signature. 1cool.gif

Thanks 1smile.gif You honor me, sir.

Lots of new forum members posting "concern" for Apple's competitiveness. I get that some people don't like the way iOS 7 looks, and I'm fine with that, but feigning concern? Now that's presumptuous.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #43 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Lots of new forum members posting "concern" for Apple's competitiveness. I get that some people don't like the way iOS 7 looks, and I'm fine with that, but feigning concern? Now that's presumptuous.

I'm also noting an uptrend in playing the "you dismiss other arguments" card. The poor dears don't realize they need chips to be able to sit at the table in the first place.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #44 of 52

And so do I. I tried android out of curiosity. Hated it. iOS and iPhone 5 blows away the S4 in every way.

I need my phone to Work when I ask it to. I don't want to have to find yet another app to do what my iPhone does out of the box. 

 

All my post was about it want a bigger phone and there isn't a dam thing wrong with me wanting that.

not everyone like the same size. you like what you want to, I am allowed to want a 5" iPhone.

Just because that isn't your want, doesn't make my want less important than yours. 

 

Apple will release a bigger iPhone. Wait and see. 

bring on the 5.5" iPhone 6!!!!
Reply
bring on the 5.5" iPhone 6!!!!
Reply
post #45 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm also noting an uptrend in playing the "you dismiss other arguments" card. The poor dears don't realize they need chips to be able to sit at the table in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r4d4 View Post

Just because that isn't your want, doesn't make my want less important than yours. 

Like effing clockwork! lol.gif

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #46 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by r4d4 View Post

And so do I. I tried android out of curiosity. Hated it. iOS and iPhone 5 blows away the S4 in every way.
I need my phone to Work when I ask it to. I don't want to have to find yet another app to do what my iPhone does out of the box. 

All my post was about it want a bigger phone and there isn't a dam thing wrong with me wanting that.
not everyone like the same size. you like what you want to, I am allowed to want a 5" iPhone.
Just because that isn't your want, doesn't make my want less important than yours. 

Apple will release a bigger iPhone. Wait and see. 

I agree with you. I doubt Apple releases a bigger phone this year, but potentially next year.

I also agree that all the countless pros of iOS vs android are enough reason to never even consider a switch- the only thing I like about the S4 is the larger screen (but not THAT large). I really hate that much bulk, it really just looks stupid. Just like with the 5- apple found a way to make the screen larger, but the size of the phone wasn't any bigger. Sure it was taller, but also thinner and substantially lighter. If apple can find a way to enlarge the screen slightly more without greatly impacting the size or battery life- not only am I all for it, but I too- think it will greatly outsell a smaller model if they were released simultaneously.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #47 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post


I agree with you. I doubt Apple releases a bigger phone this year, but potentially next year.

I also agree that all the countless pros of iOS vs android are enough reason to never even consider a switch- the only thing I like about the S4 is the larger screen (but not THAT large). I really hate that much bulk, it really just looks stupid. Just like with the 5- apple found a way to make the screen larger, but the size of the phone wasn't any bigger. Sure it was taller, but also thinner and substantially lighter. If apple can find a way to enlarge the screen slightly more without greatly impacting the size or battery life- not only am I all for it, but I too- think it will greatly outsell a smaller model if they were released simultaneously.

 

next year it's all the same. too late. in this case Apple is better to stay at 4" and make it a niche, like once with Macs. It would be a big shame, but nothing can be done instead of them...

 

If somebody would ask me how do I imagine iPhone product line I would propose 2 variants:

 

1. "iPhone 5 rules"

 

- iPhone 5 4" with same 326dpi

- one older iPhone 5 version (instead of 3 today)

- larger screen iPhone with 4.6" and dpi something around 400

- cheaper 4" model with dpi half of the large model, i.e. something around 200dpi, still offering a very good value and picture quality

 

Problem with this approach is introduction of new screen form factor making it more complicated for developers...

 

2. "Legacy approach"

 

- iPhone 5 rises from 4" to 4.6", getting very high dpi, way over 400 dpi

- cheaper 3.5-4" iPhone with half of dpi, something over 200, perhaps even 4:3 ratio again, making it effectively half size to larger in terms of screen resolution

- one older model for each above

 

In this way all the phones could run more or less existing software. Perhaps this version is more feasible with 5" size of large model, but I think 5" is too large, even for 16:9 ratio.

 

But what are the problems behind I don'T know. What I am pretty much sure it that Apple is solving the riddle and curse of 326 dpi retina on 4" that came out perhaps too good for the time....It clearly points our Apple hasn't expected serious demand of larger screen mobile phones.


Edited by poksi - 6/25/13 at 6:47am
post #48 of 52
Well A6 is so fast that I doubt a little if we will need a faster processor, difference between A5 in 4S and a A6 vere pretty small and sometimes unnoticeable.
Graphics could be improved substantially thanks to new Vr G6xxx series coming out and not because of performance, but of power efficiency (faster graphics finishes tasks at lower clock speed saving a lot of power under heavy load [imagine that as playing RR 3 for 10 hours at a charge {at lowest brightness}]).

The process node is unclear, looks like size didn't changed (but its a very early prototype, a lot could change before launch) witch points to 32 nm like last year.
28 nm seems unlikely to be because its too soon for Apple to switch to TSMC I think (But hell who knows ?) and samsung is struggling heavily to ramp up their 28 nm process (only one tenth of SGS 4's got exynos octa).
And there could be another solution. Apple A5 rev 3. is about half the size of A5 rev 2. and it is missing only one A9 processing core making they huge reduction of die size a mystery. Chipworks pointed out it could be some sort of Analog circuity magic.
So Apple could potentially stay at 32 nm and still make big jump in performance OR battery life.
Edited by jusephe - 6/25/13 at 9:32am
post #49 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessi View Post

[...] Wider phones are not really actually popular. 

 

Apparently you and I define the term "popular" very differently. To me, the gajillions of 'em I see flooding the streets with what seems like every second person having one qualifies the large screen for the designation "popular." They're not all the same model, so it's not like there's a particular unit that's an iPhone killer, but the demand for size is painfully obvious through simple observation of any downtown street corner.

 

Interestingly, I still see lots and lots and lots of iPhone 4/4S out there, but still not many iPhone 5. It makes me wonder if buyers in this particular neighbourhood went big instead of Apple this time. Obviously Apple's sold a crapload of iPhone 5 so SOMEONE must have bought them, but I just don't see many around here.

post #50 of 52

Will see. 5s won't sell like previous model with the same screen size and that will be a wake-up call for Apple. I'm a long term iPhone owner (3, 4, 5) and will not upgrade to another iPhone if the screen size won't change. Give me something like these this year and next year and Apple will take my hard earn money:

post #51 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

5s won't sell like previous model...

Ludicrous nonsense. You have any reason to believe that at all?
Quote:
I'm a long term iPhone owner

Don't care.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #52 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

5s won't sell like previous model with the same screen size and that will be a wake-up call for Apple. I'm a long term iPhone owner (3, 4, 5) and will not upgrade to another iPhone if the screen size won't change.

The iPhone 5 increased screen size. Of course you would know that if you really had a 5. The 5S will have the same screen size. If you know Apple, you would know that as well.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New photos of purported 'iPhone 5S' show possible Apple 'A7' chip