or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Chinese accessory maker claims to have 'permanently cracked' Apple's Lightning authentication
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chinese accessory maker claims to have 'permanently cracked' Apple's Lightning authentication - Page 3

post #81 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

OK let me get this straight. There's a plug on one end that looks exactly like a USB plug, it fits into any USB port and conforms to USB standards but it is not USB. Is that about right?

It has a USB connector on one end, but that doesn't make the cable a "USB cable" as in the technology is the same as standard USB and Apple just stuck a proprietary connector on the other end.

It's a Lightning to USB cable, in the same vein as an HDMI-to-DVI cable. Having a DVI connection on one end doesn't make HDMI the same as DVI.
post #82 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

It has a USB connector on one end, but that doesn't make the cable a "USB cable" as in the technology is the same as standard USB and Apple just stuck a proprietary connector on the other end.

It's a Lightning to USB cable, in the same vein as an HDMI-to-DVI cable. Having a DVI connection on one end doesn't make HDMI the same as DVI.

I've never said it was a USB cable, that would need USB plugs on both sides. My argument is that it has a USB plug on one side and TS cannot and will not even agree with that.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #83 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I've never said it was a USB cable, that would need USB plugs on both sides. My argument is that it has a USB plug on one side and TS cannot and will not even agree with that.

You're missing the context, where this was originally brought up by a poster saying Lightning Cables are nothing more than glorified USB cables and are an Apple cash grab.
post #84 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Funny because Apple sells them as 'Lightning to USB'
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD818ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-cable

Please shut up now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I've never said it was a USB cable, that would need USB plugs on both sides. My argument is that it has a USB plug on one side and TS cannot and will not even agree with that.

Because it isn't the argument, as you have been told MULTIPLE times already.

There should be a reading comprehension test required to post on forums.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #85 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Please shut up now.
Because it isn't the argument, as you have been told MULTIPLE times already.

There should be a reading comprehension test required to post on forums.

How about trying to read first before you even comment like you did in another thread, and no matter how many times you say I will absolutely not shut up. A lighting cable would be lighting on both sides but they're not and that's why Apple sells them as 'Lightning to USB'
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #86 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wow. You're really gonna stick with that nonsense, huh?

I honestly, no fooling, lack of joke, cannot tell if you seriously believe this crap or if you're just playing around.

PLEASE be playing around. I don't want to think that anyone is this vacuous.

Yes I'm sticking with it because even your beloved Apple agrees with me.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #87 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Yes I'm sticking with it because even your beloved Apple agrees with me.

I still don't get your point. This whole discussion revolves around the claim that Lightning is nothing more than re-branded USB with a proprietary connection. It doesn't matter if there's a Lighting-to-USB cable, that doesn't mean Lightning equals USB.

You've inserted yourself in a discussion for the sole purpose to antagonize another user, in what looks like some crusade to prove him wrong.

TS's whole argument is that Lightning =/ USB. Unless you disagree with that statement, you're just arguing semantics.
post #88 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Yes I'm sticking with it because even your beloved Apple agrees with me.



Stop posting now. You don't even know what we're talking about, either by your own refusal to read the posts or by conscious decision to ignore their content.

You are wrong in every way it is possible to be wrong. You have been told this multiple times. Do not post again.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #89 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post



Stop posting now. You don't even know what we're talking about, either by your own refusal to read the posts or by conscious decision to ignore their content.

You are wrong in every way it is possible to be wrong. You have been told this multiple times. Do not post again.

Save it because you yourself are guilty of commenting without reading, and I'll continue to post all the times a like.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #90 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


How about trying to read first before you even comment like you did in another thread, and no matter how many times you say I will absolutely not shut up. A lighting cable would be lighting on both sides but they're not and that's why Apple sells them as 'Lightning to USB'

 

Of course you are correct. I have a DVI-HDMI cable, is it fair to call it a HDMI cable? No, because that would require HDMI on both ends. A USB-lightning cable doesn't magically transfer data faster than a micro-USB or mini-USB. It still transfers the data at standard USB2 speed.  
 
Let's assume Apple make a Thunderbolt to lightning cable. Would it transfer at thunderbolt or USB2 speed? The memory used in the iPhone and iPad is not even fast enough to even take full advantage of USB2, let alone Thunderbolt so it wouldn't make sense. Perhaps in the future it will but it is likely USB3 would be fast enough and cheaper so that is more likely. Thunderbolt is largely unused on PC's so Apple will stick with USB.  It is just a proprietary iPad/iPhone connector which makes it easier since either side goes in but essentially it is a USB2 cable for all intents and purposes. 

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Chinese accessory maker claims to have 'permanently cracked' Apple's Lightning authentication
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Chinese accessory maker claims to have 'permanently cracked' Apple's Lightning authentication